UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Men's BB Home Scheduling

A topic beaten to death on this board, but,.....This morning's DDN had a piece by Brian Kollers (sp?) I believe that discusses UD's home NC schedule and the effort to get fans to use their TX. It ends with, "Flyer fans deserve better". Which, of course, is true.

There are ten home NC games, two are of interest. The ONLY way to make the schedule more interesting is to schedule teams that insist on a home-and-home deal. Since BCS schools are almost out of the question, that means MVC, WAC, MW and a others. And, most important, it means at least one less home game each year, preferrably two.

I think the Faithful would prefer two less home NC games if four of them were of real interest. I take that as a given. That means UD has to make up lost revenue from two games. If UD really has the fan's interest at heart it will find a way to deal with the loss of revenue from two games.

UD has an annual budget in the $300-400 million range,....not a small number. Of course that is not the athleticc budget. Nonethless, this decision involves more than Kissell and Wabler;.....Dr, Dan Curran is also in the picture. If Dan Curran cares about the Faithful this is his call, in my judgment. He is the one that is in a position to grant Kissell/Wabler some financial relief. If UD does not address this issue it risks alienating the "goose that provides the golden eggs", year after year.
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
You are right, this has been beaten to death. Only Mr Kollars, Mr Negative, wants to start trouble when the rest of us are psyched up that today is opening day. Let's play ball!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Major

allflyernamesaregone
Old 11-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
A topic beaten to death on this board, but,.....This morning's DDN had a piece by Brian Kollers (sp?) I believe that discusses UD's home NC schedule and the effort to get fans to use their TX. It ends with, "Flyer fans deserve better". Which, of course, is true.

There are ten home NC games, two are of interest. The ONLY way to make the schedule more interesting is to schedule teams that insist on a home-and-home deal. Since BCS schools are almost out of the question, that means MVC, WAC, MW and a others. And, most important, it means at least one less home game each year, preferrably two.

I think the Faithful would prefer two less home NC games if four of them were of real interest. I take that as a given. That means UD has to make up lost revenue from two games. If UD really has the fan's interest at heart it will find a way to deal with the loss of revenue from two games.

UD has an annual budget in the $300-400 million range,....not a small number. Of course that is not the athleticc budget. Nonethless, this decision involves more than Kissell and Wabler;.....Dr, Dan Curran is also in the picture. If Dan Curran cares about the Faithful this is his call, in my judgment. He is the one that is in a position to grant Kissell/Wabler some financial relief. If UD does not address this issue it risks alienating the "goose that provides the golden eggs", year after year.
I want the 2 extra home games, every year this guy puts his 2 cents worth in and that is what its worth
Old 11-16-2008, 02:18 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Thumbs down 2 less games at home no way

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
I want the 2 extra home games, every year this guy puts his 2 cents worth in and that is what its worth
You have to remember this is ciming from someone who doesn't even go Flyer games.

This is for UACFlyer;

Give up two UConn games every year because I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind that.

I go see the Flyers play not who they are playing.

Two less home games no thank you.

I'm sure most of us season ticket holders go to the Flyers games to see them.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I notice that, like most complainers on this topic, the guy offered plenty of b****ing, recognized the problem of getting big names to the arena, and then offered exactly zero solutions.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Major

nbflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
In the thread about the closed scrimmages, it was said that we needed/wanted to have the exhibtion game instead for financial reasons. So honestly, if there is truth behind the decision between a closed scrimmage/exhibtion comes done to financials, I don't see any way we could eliminate two home games for the same financial reasons.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Glad there is agreement....,

Nice to see that everyone agrees with me!

Of course, there is more to scheduling than fan entertainment. But, considering the new initiative to use TX that have been purchased, there must be some mild concern at UD that there are too many empty seats that have been paid for.

Another angle. Recall that in TK's "Realities 2007" there is dicussion of RPI and its importance to the Dance. Clearly not the only consideration or UD would have been included last year. But, it does matter. And, the current RPI formula counts a home win as 0.6 wins and an away win as 1.4 wins, i.e., a road win has more than double the impact of a home win. You get rewarded for going on the road.

As for those that "go to see the Flyers play, not the other team...". Well, to each his own. Personally, while winning beats losing by a mile, I repeat that I would rather see my team lose an exciting game in the last minute against top competition than sit through a 30 point blow-out against inferior competition. Is that such a peculiar point of view? I'll bet not.

I think there is a psychological angle at play also. Penn State and Northwestern for example, tend be at or near the bottom of the Big Ten most of the time. But, there is something about seeing a Penn State on the schedule that rings my bell a lot louder than a Mercer. After all, Penn State is Penn State. And with a home-and-home deal the Flyers have a very good chance of a road win against a Penn State, meaning RPI impact.

I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one here that thinks along these lines.

As for my not being fortunate enough to be able to attend Arena games, all I can say is that I never miss a Flyer game at Kingston RI or Amherst MA, neither town particularly close to my home.

Go Flyers!