Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Brief and to the Point
Brief and to the Point
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
07-02-2008
Brief and to the Point

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) Brevity is the soul of wit and also of UD basketball bloggers right before the 4th of July weekend:

-- Imagine for a moment that all of our dreams come true and BG inks Class of 2010 Dayton area wunderkind Adreian Payne; then he proceeds to sign smooth 6’6” Cincinnati Winton Woods SF Allen Payne to go with him.

Presto! Ladies and Gentlemen -- The Flying Payne Brothers!

-- And should that happen, who fills out the 5 man UD Class of 2014, which already counts PG deluxe Juwan Staten as a member? According to recruiting site Scout.com, BG is looking at 6’3” Cincinnati Princeton G Jordan Sibert and 6’7” Indianapolis Lawrence North F Jay Martin. What no Detroiters?

-- BTW, is it ‘Adrien’ or “Adreian’ Mr. Payne?

-- Tough choices coming up for a couple of coaches sons in the Class of 2010 here in Michigan: Ray McCallum, namesake of the new UD Mercy coach is a top 100 PG being recruited by the likes of Duke and Indiana; the aptly named Trey Ziegler, son of CMU mentor Ernie has to decide between UM, MSU and playing for pops at Central. What’s a young guy supposed to do?

If it was me, I’d play for the old man, figuring that if I’m really as good as I think I am, the NBA is gonna find me, no matter where I lace ‘em up.

Plus, you only get one dad per customer.

-- The younger McCallum enrolled at Detroit Country Day HS when his dad made the move to UDM from IU. There he will join D-1 commits Da’Shonte Riley (Georgetown), Donnavan Kirk (Miami-FL) and Jordan Dumars (South Florida), plus some killer underclassmen like 6’9” Amir Williams. And, so it seems, the rich get richer.

-- So, it’s a steel cage match between UD Pride MB flamethrowers tman and BinnieBombs33 –- who ya got? My money is on BB33 -– us Mass-holes have gotta stick together, you know.

-- I’m sure I have mentioned this before, but if you want to conserve space on your list of bookmarked “favorites” just save John Huston’s College Basketball page and delete all the other hoops sites:

http://members.aol.com/johnh86395/private/hoops.html

-- Okay, BG, time to get busy. Clark Francis of HoopScoop.com has just released his list of the top 6th grade players from across the US:

“Top Four Rising 6th Graders (Class of 2014) is as follows: 1) 5'10 6th Grader Tyler Dorsey from Pasadena, CA, 2) 5'4 6th Grader Perry Dozier from Columbia, SC, 3) 5’6 6th Grader Malik Ellison from New Jersey, and 4) 4'11 6th Grader Mikey Dixon from New Castle, DE.”

Mikey Dixon might only be 4'11" but I hear he has a wingspan of 5'2".

If BG does sign any of these kids, they would be members of the UD graduating Class of 2018. I don’t care what you age is, that’s gotta make you feel really old, man.

-- Brian Stinette from ChicagoHoops.com is a really good dude.

-- I just started a new sales gig last week with The Hotel Networks that has me again covering Ohio and Pittsburgh, which means I should be able to see more Flyer games in 2008-2009 that the one I attended last year. My new deal also has me splitting time between Detroit and Chicago, which works fine for me, since the Elder Swampette lives there now. She actually brought up the tournament in Chicago that has UD playing Marquette and Auburn and said “Thanksgiving in Chicago might not be so bad.”

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools