UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
Now I'm the one that is confused. I have several lengthy posts on this thread and you quoted one in your most recent post. I have not said anything resembling your first quote - I have said there is no V, and I stand by that. I have specifically said that I can see how some could see it is a V (it isn't). I have not said that if you're seeing a V, you're just looking for a reason to hate it. Others have said something to that effect, but I haven't. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I get that the use of quotes around "you" means you were not necessarily directing those statements to "me" but I have not seen anyone simultaneously arguing the two things that you are saying you cannot argue simultaneously.

What I was saying was that the design team recognized that it could look like a V, but gave the fans the benefit of the doubt to recognize that it was not a V.
Posted via Mobile Device
If to me and others it looks like a v, smells like a v and quacks like a v then it's a v...to us. Agree to disagree

Cancer Survivor Amen
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
I think, most of the designers in that forum feel that it is a bit of a missed opportunity. But it's also pretty clear that they think it's an improvement over the old one. Because it is. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been stronger though. The left edge of the 'd' has contributed to this whole 'v' issue, and it makes you think there's something more there than there really is.

A small tweak to it would both make the 'v' slightly less pointy and apparent, it would make the 'u' more apparent, and it would have the added benefit of creating a cross in the negative space of the logo as a nod to UD being a catholic institution.

I think rather than not getting input, there is such a thing as too much input. Trying to please too many people. Those who want a D as the primary mark. Those who insist 'UD' must be part of the logo. Those who want flight to be a key element of the design. Too many inputs leads to compromise. And that reminds me of this classic. If microsoft, who is notorious for 'too many inputs', had designed the iPod packaging. Check it out. This is what it's like being a graphic designer and listening to all the inputs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

I like the look of the new court and agree that some blue around the sides of the court would look pretty sharp. I was also just playing with the idea of getting the silhouette of the Wright Flyer put into the finish of the wood. I think that would be kinda cool.
While the Wright B flyer is popular in Dayton, it also can have a very stereotypical negative image nationwide. The Wright Flyer can be viewed as old 110 years and very slow. It can represent the image of a community stuck in its past instead of looking forward.

The new logo was an attempt to look fast and sleek. There has been lots of debate as to the effectiveness of that design. I clearly don't see the Wright B Flyer looking fast and sleek. It was very innovative 110 years ago

Last edited by Chris R; 08-28-2014 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Deleted large image. Breaks forum size.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I think it's a great nod to the heritage of the city, and obviously our namesake. It's one more element that could help differentiate us and add a sense of history to the place. You'd be surprised how little people know about Dayton nationally. The golden dome at ND is nearly 200 years old. So is the chapel at UD. Yet both universities wisely still embrace them. (ND much moreso than UD). I think the history of the town should be celebrated. Not ignored. It would also offer further support to those who aren't picking up on the 'wings' in the new logo.

The Bay Bridge was built probably 65 years ago. And many cool things have happened in the Bay Area since. Yet it continues to be an icon for the golden state warriors and is probably the coolest branding element they have going. If you're always chasing the 'new' instead of standing for something differentiating and timeless, you end up with no history and no brand. I think our last logo is evidence of that. It got outdated fast.

The other option that might be nice us to stain the silhouette of the state of Ohio behind our logo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
It's very odd that X would put the Cincinnati skyline on their court because UC owns that city.

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Xavier is adding a silhouette of the Cincinnati skyline to their floor this summer.

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (08-03-2014), jumpin' joe (08-02-2014), THirt (08-04-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
It's very odd that X would put the Cincinnati skyline on their court because UC owns that city.
Do you think WSU should put the Fairborn skyline on their floor?
Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 08:07 PM

sleepy will become famous soon enough
Wright State uses the wright flyer as the centerpiece of their branding. I'm not sure I would go that direction.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sleepy For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (08-02-2014), Gazoo (08-03-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jumpin' joe View Post
Do you think WSU should put the Fairborn skyline on their floor?
That would probably just be a watertower and some trees.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (08-03-2014), jack72 (08-03-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I think a B-2 stealth bomber would be cool somewhere on the court. Or maybe a formation of F-35's. For the people who don't see the v, please don't nominate the A.W.A.C.S. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
OK, it seems like you are saying that no reasonable person can see a "V" without being told that it's a "V" and following some kind of herd mentality.

Let's set that aside.

What does it say that a group of professional designers are saying in comments of about 15 or 20-to-1 that the design is, at worst, a disaster and at best, dysfunctional. There are extra parts off the D that look like a face. The extraneous bits of D on the left (not counting the blue wing part) serve no function to the design. They made a font part of the brand identity. The line in the middle of the D is supposed to somehow convey a secret U that doesn't come off very well. The lines off the D are separate from the D itself for no good reason. It's chunky and heavy but supposed to convey fleetness.

I think that's a whole host of good critiques that don't include the "V". So let's discuss all of those.
I found the comments on that site to be very interesting. The consensus was a pretty loud & clear "MEH!", and there was general agreement that, while this was an improvement over the last effort, it could have been done so much better. I think the court in general looks decent (now that the center is in 1 color), and the unis look pretty sharp, but IMHO, they can't go another 20 years between "rebrandings".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Now I'm the one that is confused. I have several lengthy posts on this thread and you quoted one in your most recent post. I have not said anything resembling your first quote - I have said there is no V, and I stand by that. I have specifically said that I can see how some could see it is a V (it isn't). I have not said that if you're seeing a V, you're just looking for a reason to hate it. Others have said something to that effect, but I haven't. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I get that the use of quotes around "you" means you were not necessarily directing those statements to "me" but I have not seen anyone simultaneously arguing the two things that you are saying you cannot argue simultaneously.

What I was saying was that the design team recognized that it could look like a V, but gave the fans the benefit of the doubt to recognize that it was not a V.
Posted via Mobile Device
No single person is making both arguments in the same post because you're the only one who (so far) has explicitly said that the design team recognized the V. However, others have claimed to have inside knowledge of the process and yet still claim to lack the ability to see the V. That's why I can't get why some people with "insider knowledge" find it so difficult to recognize the issue--you're saying it was openly discussed as an issue (if I understand you correctly).

If you want to insist that there is no V, I think you would also have to insist that Italy should stop being referred to as a boot because that wasn't intended either. Same for the Big Dipper, there is no dipper because it wasn't intended--people are just going to see what they want to see. (No need to go into the intelligent design debate, it's sarcasm intended to make the point.) In summary, if people see it, then it's there whether you intended it or not.

Last edited by Gazoo; 08-03-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Wright State uses the wright flyer as the centerpiece of their branding. I'm not sure I would go that direction.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good call, but I love the way Flyer 95 incorporated the cross and the heritage--both things you can actually see in the branding instead of the current "U" which is difficult to find even when someone shows it to you. Some of our branding on campus could over-emphasize the cross while the standard logo on national TV would under-emphasize it. I think that's a very cool idea.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 AM
1st Lieutenant

dannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the rough
Why not add the dome with crucifix from the traditional academic logo? It would send a strong message for the alumni who do not like the winged D.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
No single person is making both arguments in the same post because you're the only one who (so far) has explicitly said that the design team recognized the V. However, others have claimed to have inside knowledge of the process and yet still claim to lack the ability to see the V. That's why I can't get why some people with "insider knowledge" find it so difficult to recognize the issue--you're saying it was openly discussed as an issue (if I understand you correctly).

If you want to insist that there is no V, I think you would also have to insist that Italy should stop being referred to as a boot because that wasn't intended either. Same for the Big Dipper, there is no dipper because it wasn't intended--people are just going to see what they want to see. (No need to go into the intelligent design debate, it's sarcasm intended to make the point.) In summary, if people see it, then it's there whether you intended it or not.
Your argument is rife with logical fallacies and leaps of faith. You're mixing together bits from what I've said and what others have said, putting them together, then challenging my argument and asking me to explain it.

I am going to continue to insist that there is no V because there isn't.

The left side of the logo is shaped such that it resembles a V. I don't think that is debatable. But it isn't a V. It simply isn't. What I'm trying to say is that I have heard that the design team considered that it might be construed as a D. I'm extrapolating this part, but it sounds to me as though they felt people would be reasonable enough to realize that it was not a V.

The Italy/Big Dipper argument is complete apples and oranges. You want to compare something drawn and designed to the geographical shape of a peninsula? Yeah, ok, I understand the point about seeing patterns and shapes, but it's not a logical argument. You may as well argue that the Greek sigma isn't a sigma but in fact is an E. Looks like an E to me. Man, all these guys trying to say they were in Sig Ep! They were really in E Ep, and that sounds dumb to me. Who ever heard of E Ep? What a bunch of maroons.

So there is no V in the new logo. There is a piece of it that resembles a piece of a V. These two statements are not contradictory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tony T 71 View Post
If to me and others it looks like a v, smells like a v and quacks like a v then it's a v...to us. Agree to disagree
THirt, I respect your opinion but mine is different. I love the new uniforms and anything with Dayton Flyers but not the ¥D logo. Time to move on everyone...getting into a ****ing contest about the logo is a waste of time. IMHO

Cancer Survivor Amen
Mad Props to Tony T 71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Brigadier General

THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tony T 71 View Post
THirt, I respect your opinion but mine is different. I love the new uniforms and anything with Dayton Flyers but not the ¥D logo. Time to move on everyone...getting into a ****ing contest about the logo is a waste of time. IMHO
Tony, you're the man, so I'll now shut up about the logo. How about those sweet uniforms?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2014, 06:59 AM
General

Your argument is rife with logical fallacies and leaps of faith. You're mixing together bits from what I've said and what others have said, putting them together, then challenging my argument and asking me to explain it.

I am going to continue to insist that there is no V because there isn't.

The left side of the logo is shaped such that it resembles a V. I don't think that is debatable. But it isn't a V. It simply isn't. What I'm trying to say is that I have heard that the design team considered that it might be construed as a D. I'm extrapolating this part, but it sounds to me as though they felt people would be reasonable enough to realize that it was not a V.

The Italy/Big Dipper argument is complete apples and oranges. You want to compare something drawn and designed to the geographical shape of a peninsula? Yeah, ok, I understand the point about seeing patterns and shapes, but it's not a logical argument. You may as well argue that the Greek sigma isn't a sigma but in fact is an E. Looks like an E to me. Man, all these guys trying to say they were in Sig Ep! They were really in E Ep, and that sounds dumb to me. Who ever heard of E Ep? What a bunch of maroons.

So there is no V in the new logo. There is a piece of it that resembles a piece of a V. These two statements are not contradictory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rife??? I only made about 2 points, and none of them are all in a huff like you are. Kind of hard to get "rife" in such a short space unless the someone listening is unusually touchy about the subject.

You can say "there is no V in the new logo. There is a piece of it that resembles a V" if you want to, it's just silly to do so that's all. It's not technically contradictory any more than saying "there is no A in the Adobe logo, there is a piece of it that resembles an A" or "there is no big dipper in the sky, there are stars that resemble a big dipper." While those statements are technically true, they're also irrelevant. The Adobe logo looks like an A, people see an A, there IS an A in the Adobe logo.

And I hear what you're saying, you're saying the V wasn't intended and that is why (U)D is different. Which is also irrelevant. It looks like a V, people see a V, there IS a V in the (U)D logo.

And by the way, I think I will start referring to us (U)D kind of like I always refer to Ohio State as tOSU.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, this thread is finally getting really good. The same few people expressing the same couple of personal opinions and thoughts over and over and over and ...
Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Everybody who knows I am Flyer Fan when they see for the first time since the logo came out they all have the same first question, "What do you think of the new logo?"

Obviously the vhange has generated a lot of interest.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
I can't believe no one put a link to this video yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2RYhNhBdw

I think the 1:35 mark svms it up well
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (08-28-2014), UDBaby (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM

UD hat at Lids.jpg

For the die hard "UD" logo people this is available online at Lids 2 for $30. It's a stretch fit with Flyers across the back.

Cancer Survivor Amen

Last edited by Tony T 71; 08-27-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-27-2014, 02:46 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
when is that new logo coming out?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 AM

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Rumor has it that there may be an additional announcement coming next week with some additional variations revealed.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MrFlyerFanatic For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (08-28-2014), Justin (08-28-2014), Runnin' Rebel (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
MrFlyerFanatic... is your avatar an actual room in your home?

If so, do you have a larger photo you could share with us? (looks awesome)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Rumor has it that there may be an additional announcement coming next week with some additional variations revealed.
Dayton might want to make this a very soft announce. Since everyone enjoyed complaining about the logo so much the first time.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm already ****ed.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (08-29-2014), rollo (08-28-2014), Zeke (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
I'm already ****ed.
I agree. I think it will look like VA or DUI.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 PM

MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The Court Room

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
MrFlyerFanatic... is your avatar an actual room in your home?

If so, do you have a larger photo you could share with us? (looks awesome)
Yes, we refer to it as "The Court Room." The key and 3pt line are 2/5 scale.
It was a *itch getting paint to stick to laminent floor, but I couldn't justify painting real wood flooring. I had to rough up the areas to be painted.
As is typical of my luck, the 3pt line moved back shortly after completion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg court_room-1.jpg (87.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg court room-2.jpg (87.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg court room-3.jpg (82.7 KB, 131 views)
14 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MrFlyerFanatic For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (08-28-2014), Bonziflyer (08-28-2014), BRob2Perryman3 (08-28-2014), ClaytonFlyerFan (08-28-2014), CraSch (08-28-2014), FLYER5 (08-29-2014), Flyer69ers (08-28-2014), jumpin' joe (08-29-2014), Justin (08-28-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-29-2014), NorthwestFlyer (08-28-2014), Ready Action (08-28-2014), Runnin' Rebel (08-28-2014), Tony T 71 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

I am assuming that is your wife/gf/lady friend and she approved. You are a very lucky man, if so. The room is amazing!

It was a *itch getting paint to stick to laminent floor, but I couldn't justify painting real wood flooring. I had to rough up the areas to be painted.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Talking MrsFlyerFanatic

Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I am assuming that is your wife/gf/lady friend and she approved. You are a very lucky man, if so. The room is amazing!
She is MrFlyerFanatic. aka Leslie from Ideal Travel. She remembers watching the 1884 team on the TV in her bedroom.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:53 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
She is MrFlyerFanatic. aka Leslie from Ideal Travel. She remembers watching the 1884 team on the TV in her bedroom.
You better watch out there buddie. She wasn't that old when I was in Abe Lincoln's (Professor Freur?) Calculus class with her, freshman year!

Last edited by Figgie123; 08-28-2014 at 03:20 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MrsFlyerFanatic (09-03-2014), Sea Bass (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Where's the weight room?
College B-Ball Fan (08-28-2014), Justin (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I agree. I think it will look like VA or DUI.
It doesn't matter, the shorts will never be short enough.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-28-2014), Justin (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Where's the weight room?
The wait room? It is down at the doctor's office.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
UD

is already known as the VD capital of the world.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
C'mon....

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
is already known as the VD capital of the world.
C'mon Alberto...enough, already.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (08-28-2014), Tony T 71 (08-28-2014), UD62 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Dude your house is majorly haunted. Hundreds
of orbs in that last pic. I'm assuming you already
knew that....weird stuff going on?

PS..your wife looks thrilled
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
I thought she looked familiar. Right on!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:14 PM

I'm thinking of remodeling the bathroom if anyone is interested in purchasing naming rights for "The Locker Room." No big screen TVs or video games in the plans.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm thinking of remodeling the bathroom if anyone is interested in purchasing naming rights for "The Locker Room." No big screen TVs or video games in the plans.
I'll give you $10 to name it 'Rollo's Roundtable'. But it has to be painted gold.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Colonel

I think a gold throne would be more appropriate than a roundtable. A throne with a lid that self closes quietly.
Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM

$20 for this design...

Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
I was hoping the new logo would grow on me. It just looks more and more dated each time I look at it though. I can't wait to see what they do with the variations. As repentance, hopefully Timmy Wabs will redesign the arena's bathrooms per Rollo's design.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 PM

Rollo has some high end shi..
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (08-30-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
$20 for this design...

Where's the water?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 AM

MrsFlyerFanatic is on a distinguished road
Talking

MrFlyerFanatic's least-favorite household maintenance/home improvement project is plumbing, so I think we're sticking with white porcelain. I 100% endorse and love the Court Room, in spite of the look on my face in one of those pictures (He usually snaps them when I'm not looking. Most of you know, I'm usually more smiley than that, especially when it comes to UD Basketball).
Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MrsFlyerFanatic For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (09-03-2014), Justin (09-03-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-03-2014), rollo (09-03-2014), San Diego Flyer (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Nashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to all
Anymore to this rumor? Next week came and went.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 AM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nashville_Flyer View Post
Anymore to this rumor? Next week came and went.
And went...and went...and went...

FWIW, some old alumni friends came to town for the Morehead State football game 2 weeks ago. It was the first time I had talked with them since the new logo came out. Nearly every one of them asked me what I thought of it, & before I could say a word, they'd say "I HATE it!" Several of them went so far as to say they wouldn't buy anything with the new logo on it. For my part, I just said the U could have gotten a lot more "bang" for the bucks I'm sure they spent.

So the issue may have gone away here on this board, but there's still a fair amount of grumbling out in the Alumni community at-large.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 03:40 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I ran into someone I have talked to about ud b ball in the past. Her first comment was "what do you think of the new logo? I hate it"
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I ran into someone I have talked to about ud b ball in the past. Her first comment was "what do you think of the new logo? I hate it"
Do your people know my people? Or are they the same people?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 AM
1st Lieutenant

TheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to all
The younger crowd seems like the new logo much more than the older. Makes sense, baby boomers and generation X are anti change while the younger generations embrace change. The flying D looks good on the jerseys and other apparel. The University and the basketball program are being proactive. Looks better long term.
Mad Props to TheSixthMan For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
I received a 2014-15 Champions and Scholars Fund member bumper sticker in the mail last week with the new logo. I put it on the car on Sunday and it was falling/peeling off by Monday afternoon. I just took it off and threw it in the trash. Karma...

By the way, it was a real cheap sticker. Last year's model was a very nice magnetic one.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
On the inside cover of the new Flyer Connection is the dreaded bi-color logo. However I don't suggest verification by viewing. Smartguys will take my word for it..

SixthMan, LMAO at the younger generations willingness to embrace change. Have you raised anyone from those generations!?! Thanks for the chuckle..
Old 10-28-2014, 09:30 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Where is the line drawn between the younger and older generations? I graduated over 34 years ago and neither one of the "beloved" old logos was in existence then. New logo - missed opportunity? maybe Urinating on iconic symbol(s)? hardly
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (10-28-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheSixthMan View Post
the younger generations embrace change.
They embrace change because they rarely understand the ramifications, legalities and risks associated with change...in other words, it's because they're ignorant.

As for the logo, is there evidence to show that it's being embraced by anyone in large numbers??
Old 10-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheSixthMan View Post
The younger crowd seems like the new logo much more than the older. Makes sense, baby boomers and generation X are anti change while the younger generations embrace change. The flying D looks good on the jerseys and other apparel. The University and the basketball program are being proactive. Looks better long term.
Not interested in starting an inter-generational war so I will recognize one claim about change and "older generations".

Yes I think as one 'grows older' and having sometimes endured 'changes' over the course of one's life there is a sense that all these changes are 'enough' and lets not have to adjust to even more changes later in life ..... sort of "Been there, Done that".

But the baby boomers really experienced and in a lot of ways actually caused alot of the changes we have in our country's collective experience ... both the good and the bad changes ... I leave what changes were good and which ones were bad up to the individual.

I for one think in some ways the BB (that's baby boomers) generation is still making (forcing?) changes as we post here. It is just in a different area of society ...

However change just for change sake isn't always going to be accepted, and not all changes will be accepted ... even after good judgement was given about the change.

I don't like the multi-colored logo ... just like I won't like a two tone 2015 Corvette.

Lumping people who don't like the logo into a group I think negates some of the reasoning put into the logo discussion points ...
Old 10-28-2014, 12:22 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Was at Milanos Friday night. Id say half the people wearing UD apparel were wearing some form of the new identity. Young and old alike. Lots of people wearing Bengels and OSU too.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 10-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
So the issue may have gone away here on this board, but there's still a fair amount of grumbling out in the Alumni community at-large.
A couple weeks ago the Columbus Crew unveiled their new badge, identity, brand, etc. As a season ticket holder, I was invited to the unveiling party. I started talking to a couple at the party - friends of friend - who, like me, are UD grads. I learned this because one of them said, "All I ask out of tonight is that the Crew don't [eff] it up like UD." Good times.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,489 Times in 764 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
It's partially a generational issue, but not completely. The current students do not have the same long term historical perspective that the rest of us have. They look at it simply as a design element and go from there. Having said that, I have talked to dozens of people including alumni, UD employees, Red Scare student officers, retailers of UD merchandise, UD Athletics staff, and Alumni chapter reps, and only one person, an alum from the 80's, has actually said they like the new logo. The Red Scare official, is "ok" with it, but only because it was "more modern" than the current logo. The rest do not like the new logo. Not a single UD employee out of 8-10 that I talked to, like it. Some were very vocal, while others were guarded about the issue. The Athletics staff members "said" they liked it, but a couple used very similar phrasing which leads me to believe they were using scripted talking points. While the new bball uni's look better, the new logo is not prominent; its small and only on the side of the shorts. The football uniforms are hideous. They have the new font on the helmets and the old font on the jerseys. I was told that they had planned to use the "VD" logo on the helmets, but because of the initial response, they opted to just put Dayton on the helmets. If UD was so proud and so committed to this logo, why don't they have a grand unveiling at the Red/Blue game, or the first home game. I think we all know why. We are stuck with this for at least this school year. Even at that, it will take a lot to make another change. Either merchandise sales will have to be non existent (which takes the will power of the buying public), a decline in giving (this is a non issue for large personal gifts and institutional gifts. It only hurts when the percentage of alumni who donate, drops. Again, this takes the willpower of giver), or it becomes an ongoing issue in the media because of negative chants, harassment at away games, etc. UD is doing what would be expected and they are riding out the storm. They will only make a change if they are forced to. BTW, it is my understanding the one alum paid for the entire rebranding project. Can anyone verify that, and how do you go back to that person now and say "sorry, we pi**ed your money away".
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm 29... I'm starting to really dig the logo... the new court looks fantastic

We have our own unique logo... let's get behind it
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (10-28-2014), m21eagle45 (10-28-2014), THirt (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
The all red logo is growing on me. The blue and red logo - no. I think the administration likes the all red logo better too. I see it much more than the red and blue logo. The letter that came with my season tickets has the all red logo. The pamphlet that came with the season tickets also has the all red logo. The tickets themselves also have a one color logo, some all red, some all blue. It appears they may be transitioning to the one color logo. I hope so.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (10-29-2014), bobber (10-28-2014), Flyer 86 (11-02-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
The A-10 website and Dayton Flyers website uses one color. The websites of other schools that I have gone to for streaming of VB, soccer, or football have all used one color except for one and I can't remember who that was.
At the Red/Blue game they gave away car decals, both the "D" and "Dayton Flyers", in one color.
The only place I see the two color is the DDN.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I think the administration likes the all red logo better too. I see it much more than the red and blue logo.
It strongly appears that after the administration realized their mistake (that according to some wasn't a mistake because there is no V) they cut their losses and moved to the all red logo, which helps to hide the V (that we're supposed to believe isn't there). The strongest case in point is the repainting of the logo on the court after ~1 week.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (10-28-2014), UACFlyer (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 03:40 PM

I saw the 2 color logo on a blue shirt. As a result, the blue section was only outlined in white. It looked pretty good in that setting as the eyes are draw to the white outline rather than the blue shape.
Also have had some contact with an apparel supplier (not KK) for the bookstore. Apparently more "old" logo items are being ordered by the than "new" logo.
I would have thought old logo orders would have stopped outside of sports that haven't changed over.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:59 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
A couple weeks ago the Columbus Crew unveiled their new badge, identity, brand, etc. As a season ticket holder, I was invited to the unveiling party. I started talking to a couple at the party - friends of friend - who, like me, are UD grads. I learned this because one of them said, "All I ask out of tonight is that the Crew don't [eff] it up like UD." Good times.
And with all the money the Crew spent on a new logo, I dont think they succeeded any better or worse than UD.

The controversy and opinionated feelings are not a UD phenomenon. This is how most logo revisions play out.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 05:42 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
It will take some time,....

I think that when the uniforms for all sports have been rolled out....and possibly a UD version with the new logo type, this change will work out just fine.

About the only thing you want to keep away from, as longtimer points out, is a two-color version of the D. Any single color works fine, red, blue, white, black.

As soon as we string together a few more Elite 8s,....and/or possibly a Final Four,....the Dayton "D" will be well recognized by all.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-29-2014), Sarge (10-31-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 08:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I think that when the uniforms for all sports have been rolled out....and possibly a UD version with the new logo type, this change will work out just fine.

About the only thing you want to keep away from, as longtimer points out, is a two-color version of the D. Any single color works fine, red, blue, white, black.

As soon as we string together a few more Elite 8s,....and/or possibly a Final Four,....the Dayton "D" will be well recognized by all.
UAC, I have my doubts about it all working out "just fine". That said, the single-color versions are IMHO at least passable. But the 2-color versions (which, BTW, are still being used by the "mobile" version of ESPN) just scream for the "VD" catcalls from our opponents.

Based on feedback I've gotten from my friends in the Alumni (who are, yes, by-and-large "old farts"), this still ranks as @ a 2 out of 10 on the "Nice-Job-O-Meter". Whether the U chooses to do anything about it next summer remains to be seen. Meanwhile, I'll proudly wear the apparel I already have, and be very selective about what I add (thank you very much).
Old 10-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
The controversy and opinionated feelings are not a UD phenomenon. This is how most logo revisions play out.
Oh, definitely, and it's the quest to appease everyone that I think gets most organizations in trouble. I just thought a "don't [eff] it up" plea was a funny way to find out someone else went to UD.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 AM

Deja vu all over again.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Commander in Chief

I've liked the new logo since they introduced it. I really did not like the old cartoonish "UD" logo or the slanted "Dayton Flyers" logo. I have a business aquaintance / UD grad who told me he hated it when it came out. Just last week he told me that it was growing on him and he was beginning to like it.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-02-2014), lhsgolf19 (10-29-2014), Sarge (10-31-2014), UACFlyer (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 12:02 PM
General

Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
I've liked the new logo since they introduced it. I really did not like the old cartoonish "UD" logo or the slanted "Dayton Flyers" logo. I have a business aquaintance / UD grad who told me he hated it when it came out. Just last week he told me that it was growing on him and he was beginning to like it.
I actually hate the new one less than I hated the prior logo when it was introduced, which I found to be a colossal fail. The current logo just doesn't add anything special. Us and about 20 other teams have basically the same logo.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
I (and I'm guessing I'm one of the very few, with Fudd), have liked the new logo from the beginning. The 2 color doesn't work well, but when all one color I do like it. I'm 47, so is that old generation, new generation, or us mid-lifers don't count?

Gazoo - what 20 other teams/schools does our logo look like? This is not a "push your buttons" comment, I'm truly curious. Philly Flyers I understand a little, but I'm stumped beyond that. it may simply be that I'm not very creative, thus my not noticing. Are you thinking of schools that have something off the upper left of the letter, so that Fordham would qualify?

The style that I think way too many teams have is the "list out the team name and put the mascot/picture above name". George Mason, Duquesne, laSalle, one of the St. Joe's logos, one of UMass's logos, Wright State, Valpo, Milwaukee, Cleveland State. No, they aren't the same, but same concept.

Back to our logo....I thought the court looked good at the Red and Blue game. As for the football helmets, if on the right side I think it would work fine, looks like it's "flying" forward. But on the left side of the helmet I think it would be weird, since wing would be going "against motion".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CraSch For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-02-2014), jack72 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Unless we win at mens hoops and make the NCAA on a regular basis no one outside the Miami Valley will recognize the new D or did they recognize the old UD in AL, TX, SC, WASH, S. Dakota......get my drift. If we win on the mens national basketball stage our logo will become recognized just like Dukes D, NC, IU, tOSU, USC, XU, etc.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Colonel

Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
.....because it will be all over the media for 3 weeks in March.
ITS ALL ABOUT WINNING.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-31-2014), UACFlyer (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 11:04 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
I, an old fart of 57, will come out of the closet and say I like the new logo better than the old one and have notified my family that I want a new logo zip up hoodie for Christmas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-02-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 PM
General

Originally Posted by CraSch View Post
Gazoo - what 20 other teams/schools does our logo look like? This is not a "push your buttons" comment, I'm truly curious. Philly Flyers I understand a little, but I'm stumped beyond that. it may simply be that I'm not very creative, thus my not noticing. Are you thinking of schools that have something off the upper left of the letter, so that Fordham would qualify?
I'm talking about every other team that has a single letter as their logo. Dayton, Duquesne, Duke, Detroit (Tigers). 20 of course an exaggeration as the stand-alone "D" but the point being there's nothing really special about a stand-alone letter as your logo. Pretty safe.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Unless we win at mens hoops and make the NCAA on a regular basis no one outside the Miami Valley will recognize the new D or did they recognize the old UD in AL, TX, SC, WASH, S. Dakota......get my drift. If we win on the mens national basketball stage our logo will become recognized just like Dukes D, NC, IU, tOSU, USC, XU, etc.
The reality is there are too many D's or even UD's. The only logos recognizable are the unique letters like X or XU. I see lots of USC down here and immediately think Southern Cal, and of course they are South Carolina fans. I often have been confused by OSU, which is Oregon State, Ohio State and Oklahoma State. Big schools with non-unique letters all have recognition problems. I see a C and think it may be Cincinnati, and sometimes it is the Cubs or Cleveland. The average person is pretty clueless with a letter or two that is not their own team, and the wings, colors and shape does little for them.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I'm talking about every other team that has a single letter as their logo. Dayton, Duquesne, Duke, Detroit (Tigers). 20 of course an exaggeration as the stand-alone "D" but the point being there's nothing really special about a stand-alone letter as your logo. Pretty safe.
Thanks, I understand your point. Though I think the rabid, mostly negative reaction to our new logo kind of blew away the "pretty safe" aspect. Safe would have been to not have the wing that 98% say is a V.
Mad Props to CraSch For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-02-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 12:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I am adjusting to the new logo (one color) when I see it and I do definetly recognize it as The University of Dayton, however none of my friends do yet. But considering the SLU logo I feel we are ahead of them. What if we had used the head of Rudy Flyer....aghast. At least our "D" is for the school not just the sports program, while the Billikin head just says sports to me. So even though some may ask what the "D" stands for many more are still asking after years of use, "what is a billikin".

There are a lot of "C" letters used but when I see one in particular I recognize it immediately as the Cincinnati Reds. How many yers did it take for it to be recognized nationally.

As has been said and noted just win baby and in a few years everyone will recognize the "D" and who it represents.

Stay with the all red and away from the all blue then they can't confuse us with Duquesne.

And as far as spell checker at least it recognizes Dayton but wants to change Duquesne to Questioned.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post

As has been said and noted just win baby and in a few years everyone will recognize the "D" and who it represents.
That may be true, but that will never change the fact that it is a poor logo in general and will not change the perception of the logo by those who actually care, ie; fans, supporters, and alumni.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I don't mind the logo but think it could have been significantly better, I consider it an improvement.

I think that Archie is a great coach but not necessarily suited for rebranding a logo. I equate this to a programer developing code without determining exactly what is needed and knowing all of the options.

I think I would have prefered the D with wings on each side, unique and understandable with FLYERS
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-02-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Yorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really nice
I never liked it nor will I ever. The 1 color is much better than the 2 color but to me it is still bad. However, my 12 year old thinks it's Great. I just don't like it. We will probably find out soon what the real majority thinks when it does or doesn't sell. My guess is it will not sell very well. If it could have just been wings with rounded corners rather than straight line it probably would "fly" but the straight lines just doesn't fly. My 2 cents or 1 cent in some eyes.

GO FLYERS!
Mad Props to Yorkshire Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (11-01-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 08:06 PM

Off topic, for sure, but....

Speaking of the way things "look". Take note of the way many big-time power conference football unis look these days.

"Costumes" would be more descriptive than uniforms. In addition to the garish designs,.....some schools even abandon their school colors. Really ugly, in my opinion.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sarge (11-02-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 PM
Colonel

How will it sell?
I went to UD Bookstore, Flyer Spirit and Kasual Korner last Sat. - and NOBODY has a Dayton flag with the new D. So I got a good looking one with UD on it - looks great and all in my Piqua neighborhood recognize it!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:31 PM
Brigadier General

Try creative banners and flags on Dorothy Lane in Kettering. It's where I got my new flag. Looks sharp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-02-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 11:38 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Try creative banners and flags on Dorothy Lane in Kettering. It's where I got my new flag. Looks sharp.
Posted via Mobile Device
They do really good work...I have purchased a handful of flags from them...locally owned and operated too....

Be advised that it is much harder to have a company make you things with the new UD logo on them...in the past...you may have found a printer in the area that had digitized logos that my do something for you...but companies that have the new stuff, have to get approval from UD staff to print anything now...
Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 AM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Deja vu all over again.
Agree, I don't like all the bashing of the new logo, I like the new logo more than the old logo.

Last edited by ud2; 11-02-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
How will it sell?
I went to UD Bookstore, Flyer Spirit and Kasual Korner last Sat. - and NOBODY has a Dayton flag with the new D. So I got a good looking one with UD on it - looks great and all in my Piqua neighborhood recognize it!
Some of the Flag suppliers have been slow in getting the new logo in stock. It takes time for some companies to make new product. By the way I'm not sure who Kasual Korner is.......maybe Korporate Kasuals?

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
They do really good work...I have purchased a handful of flags from them...locally owned and operated too....

Be advised that it is much harder to have a company make you things with the new UD logo on them...in the past...you may have found a printer in the area that had digitized logos that my do something for you...but companies that have the new stuff, have to get approval from UD staff to print anything now...
It isn't harder by any means. You just have to find someone who has an official Dayton License to make things. LRG and the University can do the approving. It is the same way it was in the past.....unless you were dealing with someone who wasn't doing business the honest and correct way.
Mad Props to jpk4ud For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Speaking of the way things "look". Take note of the way many big-time power conference football unis look these days.

"Costumes" would be more descriptive than uniforms. In addition to the garish designs,.....some schools even abandon their school colors. Really ugly, in my opinion.
Agree with that. UC looked awful in their costumes against FSU. Either Utah or Utah State had skeleton unis. I use Oregon and Nike as a standard for ugly uniforms. Have an appreciation for the schools that don't cave to the 'latest great thing", but rather honor who they are and have been.

Last edited by UD62; 11-01-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Brigadier General

Just an observation . . .

Was just at the main A10 site and at the top they have all the logos of the A 10 schools. I noticed that every logo except the UD logo and the Richmond spider had some sort of border/ trim color as an outline. Ours is just one color with no trim or border which makes it look unfinished. The A10 logo is the same way (both designed by 160over90). I don't know if a border would help, but when you look at all of these logos together, ours looks bland and out of place. Not surprised that reports of lackluster sale are popping up. I would guess that some people are taking a wait and see attitude to see if this thing sticks before making a purchase. And with old logo merchandise readily available, they don't need to buy the new stuff.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:30 AM

www.fathead.com only has one Dayton fathead: The new logo.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post

Was just at the main A10 site and at the top they have all the logos of the A 10 schools. I noticed that every logo except the UD logo and the Richmond spider had some sort of border/ trim color as an outline. Ours is just one color with no trim or border which makes it look unfinished. The A10 logo is the same way (both designed by 160over90). I don't know if a border would help, but when you look at all of these logos together, ours looks bland and out of place. Not surprised that reports of lackluster sale are popping up. I would guess that some people are taking a wait and see attitude to see if this thing sticks before making a purchase. And with old logo merchandise readily available, they don't need to buy the new stuff.
Things could be worse, SLU has the Billiken head, whatever that is
Old 11-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Brigadier General

A lot of this is pretty subjective. Personally, I think most of the A-10 teams' logos are not good. The Billiken head is just weird. The GW could be better, IMHO, though I do think the subtle Washington monument in it is kind of cool. The Davidson logo is bad. UMass' is decent. The Duquesnse Duke logo is kind of creepy, as is the LaSalle Explorer. The Fordham logo looks just like a blob on the side of an F when it's smallish. Rhody's just looks awkward to me - the diagonal shading just doesn't work. VCU's is okay - I get the rams' horn on the end but it feels kind of cartoonish and forced to me. I dislike spiders, but Richmond's logo is at least unique and identifiable. Bona's is too busy I think, and while St. Joe's Hawk is reaonably unique, when it's spelled out with the hawk, it just looks to jumbled to me as well. Mason's is OK, but also a little busy, and I don't really understand why they are the Patriots but are green and yellow. That's another long story I guess.

If you go to the home page and look at the banner, you have to really sort of squint to see what team is what except for UD, UMass, GW, VCU, and Richmond. The "RI" just looks weird.

I think that's what UD was going for - an easily/instantly recognizable mark. Whether we all agree that was the right look or not is of course debatable, but within another year or so, people will recognize the new D as unique to Dayton. Sure, there are plenty of schools who just use one letter - that's exactly what UD was going for - a cleaner, simpler look unique to us. Duke's D is unique, and they cleaned it up a couple years ago by removing the ball and net from the middle. The slanted UD was reasonably unique, but it was often overlooked in favor of the slanted Dayton Flyers, which just didn't show up well on TV, was harder to embroider, etc.

This was addressed above by others, but of course it's a little harder to find new UD stuff; the new logo has only been available for a little more than three months now, and places have old inventory that they don't want to just throw out. Licensing isn't instantaneous, and it'll gradually be more widely available.

Love it or hate it, it's here to stay, and I think it's better to just embrace it, since it's ours. I'll openly admit I wasn't sure at first, but I like the single color a lot better. I think it does look good when outlined with a thin border, but it looks good on its own too.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-02-2014), jumpin' joe (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought the same with border as well. I think even a tiny white border would give it a little more definition.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
What UD needs to do is blow up the contracts of whoever does their merchandising. It is beyond amateur. I had hoped that with a new logo we would see some new and better apparel. But instead what I see so far is merchandise that has simply swapped out the old crappy logo for the new one. I feel like they have eighth graders designing this stuff. If they just kept things simple, relatively small and clean everything would look better. But instead they have shirts with five fonts and gigantic logos that look like they were put in by someone who was blindfolded. The clothes should be designed to make the new logo look good. They shouldn't just be popping the new logo on old, terrible merchandise.

So I wouldn't judge sales as a measure of success until they actually have decent designs to buy. It could be awhile...
As somebody who works in graphic design, the apparel has bugged me for decades.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Flyer'95 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-03-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Commander in Chief

I've browsed through the logos of most of the NCAA basketball teams. Our new logo stands up from that perspective very well, IMO. Try it sometime and see what you think.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (11-03-2014), ruechalgrin (11-21-2014), UACFlyer (11-21-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
What UD needs to do is blow up the contracts of whoever does their merchandising. It is beyond amateur. I had hoped that with a new logo we would see some new and better apparel. But instead what I see so far is merchandise that has simply swapped out the old crappy logo for the new one. I feel like they have eighth graders designing this stuff. If they just kept things simple, relatively small and clean everything would look better. But instead they have shirts with five fonts and gigantic logos that look like they were put in by someone who was blindfolded. The clothes should be designed to make the new logo look good. They shouldn't just be popping the new logo on old, terrible merchandise.
Posted via Mobile Device
AMEN. This has been a problem for years. I went to the Marquette, William & Mary, Cincinnati, and OSU bookstores, and the selection and quality of items offered is amazing. Someone from our bookstore needs to go on a road trip. The guy ay KK said that he will be able to make up anything clothing item you want with the old logo for at least the next couple of years. He has no restrictions from UD. . . As least for now.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
I think our jerseys look pretty decent on tv. Our logo on the ticker is about a wash from the last logo - meaning I think it is pretty bad.

But would someone for the love of god get the staff some polo shirts that don't look like red scare DIY TJ Maxx shirts with ironed on logos. The logo is way too big on the shirts and the quality is horrendous. Honestly, how can this be so hard? Archie & staff looked like a bunch of clowns.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 PM

AM and staff....

Originally Posted by singlet_of_truth View Post
I think our jerseys look pretty decent on tv. Our logo on the ticker is about a wash from the last logo - meaning I think it is pretty bad.

But would someone for the love of god get the staff some polo shirts that don't look like red scare DIY TJ Maxx shirts with ironed on logos. The logo is way too big on the shirts and the quality is horrendous. Honestly, how can this be so hard? Archie & staff looked like a bunch of clowns.
I thought they looked good.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bhflyer5 (11-21-2014), jpk4ud (11-22-2014), ud2 (11-22-2014), UD62 (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 PM
1st Lieutenant

bhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with UACFlyer here. I think the polos were sharp. As they say, "That's what makes horse racing!"
Mad Props to bhflyer5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jpk4ud (11-22-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:21 PM

The uni's are a big improvement.