UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
One more thing. Dayton needs to start using screens, if you are not rubbing off the screen, the effectiveness of the screen is massively decreased. On the hand-off, Mikesell goes two feet away. If the hand-off is closer, he can turn the corner at a sharper angle. Love Mikesell and his effort. I am sure AG is teaching this, but Dayton way too often runs around screens.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (01-24-2019), shocka43 (01-24-2019)
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
One more thing. Dayton needs to start using screens, if you are not rubbing off the screen, the effectiveness of the screen is massively decreased. On the hand-off, Mikesell goes two feet away. If the hand-off is closer, he can turn the corner at a sharper angle. Love Mikesell and his effort. I am sure AG is teaching this, but Dayton way too often runs around screens.
One tough thing about rubbing off the screen from a handoff is that the refs have made that a point of emphasis this year and are calling lots of offensive fouls if there is contact with the defender on the handoff so maybe they are purposefully taking a wider handoff.

I'm all for this point of emphasis though because I loathe the dribble/handoff/drive offense, which 95% of all college teams seem to use, so maybe this will discourage that and teams will start running more creative offenses.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-24-2019), ruechalgrin (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:17 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
It is interesting that fans obsess about one play that was blown up by good defense at the end. Shocka pointed out that perhaps a different option could have been called and better execution could have been made. Geroge Mason now happens to be on top of the league. They are a good team, but I think UD should have won at home.

UD has now played in 5 straight games in which the outcome was in doubt with 60 seconds in regulation. They are 3-2 so far. (According to UDScott that is .500 or below and miserable). They won 3 they should have, lost one they should have (VCU) and lost one they should not have. 4-1 would feel so much better.

But let's look at the overall game:

Jalen and Jordan shoot 1-14 in the first half and UD is still up by 2. I maintain that if 1 of those shots feel, UD probably wins. If they make 2 (3-14), they definitely win. The body language showed up in every player when they started to miss. Young team. They need to mature when shots are not falling.

The second half was ugly.
- Only 30 points scored. Duane who usually does not hit 3s, accounted for 6 of those points. The offense was still in the dumper.
- Defense followed the offense. Few turnovers forced and GM shot a much higher percentage.

So did one play cost the game? The offense was really bad the last 3 minutes, but it was bad all second half and all game. The defense could not get stops either. Did Anthony cost the game or the night long inability to hit open shots and lack of execution cause the loss?

Is Anthony a good or bad coach? As long as there is little depth and inexperienced players who are inconsistent in execution, it is hard to tell. If you want to fall back on Alabama which had to play Kentucky and tough SEC teams, ignore the depth and inexperience of the team and blow off VCU success, then your mind is made up with cherry picked data.

I don't know if Grant is a good or great coach. He has a career winning percentage over .600.

Archie knew year 3 was the make or break year. I think year 3 might be the same for Anthony.

Meanwhile, I expect a lot of close games the for the rest of conference play.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:19 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm more convinced after last night we need serious help on the offensive end
Old 01-24-2019, 05:05 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Anthony Grant was the right hire and has the program headed in the right direction.

But I can still hate the the last play and the execution of it. See thread with 4-5 tweets including still pictures and video.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomEggeme...87928743149569
Posted via Mobile Device
Even though Obi does not cut off the Crutcher attempted screen but runs around it he still had #32 Ian Boyd 6'4" on his hip and with his left arm overhead was calling for Mikesell to loft the ball to him on the inbounds play. C'mon man he had 5 inches on him...throw Obi the **** ball! He may have gotten fouled on a made basket and atoned with his earlier miss on the front end of a one and one by making a game winning free throw!

I couldn't help but remember the first game last season in a 78-77 win over Ball St. where Xeyrius Williams lofted a perfect pass to Josh Cunningham for the winning basket with 1.5 seconds remaining!

I agree the game shouldn't have had to come down to the final play! We stunk the second half and fell right into the trap of settling for 3 point attempts instead of being patient and feeding Obi or Josh underneath or our guards driving hard to the basket just as Livingston and Kier were doing all night! There is no excuse for only having 9 free throw attempts! We have to get to the line more in future games!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I did not get to see the game and am very disappointed that we did not win the game, especially at home. But in many of these threads I keep reading how we didn't play good D and their guards did whatever they wanted. Yet we only gave up 67 points so did we really play that bad defense? I've also seen where we missed a lot of easy baskets and open threes and if we made them we would have won going away. Is it possible they also missed a lot of easy baskets and open threes and would have beaten us going away if they made them? Was it bad D and they missed a lot or was the D pretty good and held them to 67? Please let me know because I'd be happy with 67 ppg given up, that would put us in the top 70 in the entire country.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Colonel

CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I did not get to see the game and am very disappointed that we did not win the game, especially at home. But in many of these threads I keep reading how we didn't play good D and their guards did whatever they wanted. Yet we only gave up 67 points so did we really play that bad defense? I've also seen where we missed a lot of easy baskets and open threes and if we made them we would have won going away. Is it possible they also missed a lot of easy baskets and open threes and would have beaten us going away if they made them? Was it bad D and they missed a lot or was the D pretty good and held them to 67? Please let me know because I'd be happy with 67 ppg given up, that would put us in the top 70 in the entire country.
There are many things in a game that can contribute to a low score. I was at the game and GM oftentimes got the shot clock down to single digits before they would shoot. The Flyers often did this as well and a couple times even let the shot clock expire! To answer your question we just played bad D for the most part. Their guards, especially Livingston and Kier, scored easily. Livingston had the quickness and Kier had a height advantage. We really miss Jherry Matos as he is a good defender and could have disrupted several of their drives!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Colonel

There are many things in a game that can contribute to a low score. I was at the game and GM oftentimes got the shot clock down to single digits before they would shoot. The Flyers often did this as well and a couple times even let the shot clock expire! To answer your question we just played bad D for the most part. Their guards, especially Livingston and Kier, scored easily. Livingston had the quickness and Kier had a height advantage. We really miss Jherry Matos as he is a good defender and could have disrupted several of their drives!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
The two timeouts four+ seconds apart at 15 and 10 seconds left. That's bad. We lost precious time that may have allowed for a better look. Please don't come back to me with `they had a great plan from that side of the court` No one liked that decision.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Agree... posted several times... season was lost in the summer... can’t start with 9 guys.... really 8.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is the root cause.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:28 PM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Everyone of those transfers is going to have a chance to get a starting job next year
Thanks Mr Grant, but $1 says you start Crutcher.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:28 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
The defense was much worse in the second half. GM clanked shots and shot a low percentage in the first half, then shot a much higher percentage (I think over 50%) in the second. They did not turn the ball over either.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
The two timeouts four+ seconds apart at 15 and 10 seconds left. That's bad. We lost precious time that may have allowed for a better look. Please don't come back to me with `they had a great plan from that side of the court` No one liked that decision.
Exactly my point I made on the Pride board during the game. This team is too slow in running an effective play and the second time-out compounded the problem. Against VCU, Anthony called a time-out with 4.5 seconds left in the game. And he called that while the ball was in the hands of Crutcher.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:05 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Players and coaches are humans and they make mistakes. A bad game doesn't make them awful and a good game doesn't make them great. We need to stop drawing absolute conclusions from small sample sizes.

And it happens at all levels - watch this video from Rockets/Knicks last night. Both teams tried their best to lose the game in the final minute. And these guys are among the best i the world and have high quality coaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHT6xGOajJM
Old 01-25-2019, 12:19 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Agree... posted several times... season was lost in the summer... can’t start with 9 guys.... really 8.
Posted via Mobile Device
Grant says he only wants a 7-8 man rotation
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
short bench
make shots
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Didn’t Archie originally say the same thing? Then he realized what he had and he used them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Posted via Mobile Device
When Donovan was at Florida I remember reading an article where he talked about his rotations. He said at the beginning of the year he wanted to use 10-12 guys and be down to 8-10 for the conference season and then be down to 7 or 8 that he wants to use by the postseason. Maybe AG has a similar philosophy since he worked under him?
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
This is the root cause.
Call up Bobby Wherli, Scooch, et al and ask them if this is true.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
I will say our board is a little more reasonable. It seems like the vast majority of the IU board wants archie fired immediately.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Coaches have to take some responsibility for losses, but in general coaches probably get too much credit for wins and are blamed too much for losses. It wasn't Grant's fault that Jordan screwed up that fast break layup that would have put UD up by 5. It wasn't Grant's fault that Josh missed the front end of a one-and-one that could have put UD up by 4. It wasn't Grant's fault that Obi passed the ball to George Mason which allowed them to take the lead. It wasn't Grant's fault that Obi then missed the front end of a one-and-one. It wasn't Grant's fault that Crutcher turned the ball over. It wasn't Grant's fault that Davis and Crutcher shot 5/26. With Davis and Crutcher shooting the way they did, it's a miracle we even had a chance to win at the end. The last play had four options, none of which seemed to work. Whether that was a bad play call, poor execution, or simply good defense is anybody's guess.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-26-2019), Glen Clark (01-25-2019), shwag33 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
There is a huge difference between using a 7-8 player rotation and only having 7-8 scholly players available. Rat Face played 7-8 at OSU, but had the likes of Sibert just in case of injuries or multiple foul outs, or shooting slumps. Our problem is Grant only has 7 players who are ready to play at this level.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerGuyer (01-25-2019), Radar (01-25-2019), ruechalgrin (01-25-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:20 PM
General

When Donovan was at Florida I remember reading an article where he talked about his rotations. He said at the beginning of the year he wanted to use 10-12 guys and be down to 8-10 for the conference season and then be down to 7 or 8 that he wants to use by the postseason. Maybe AG has a similar philosophy since he worked under him?
The 7-8 guy quote is from Dayton Daily News. Maybe that changes, I don't but that's from the mouth of AG
Old 01-25-2019, 03:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
There is a huge difference between using a 7-8 player rotation and only having 7-8 scholly players available. Rat Face played 7-8 at OSU, but had the likes of Sibert just in case of injuries or multiple foul outs, or shooting slumps. Our problem is Grant only has 7 players who are ready to play at this level.
I wasn't referring specifically to this year. I was referring to the comment that someone made that AG only wants to use a 7-8 man rotation. I agree only having 7-8 scholly players is much different than playing only 7 or 8 out of a full load of scholly players.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 PM
General

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Call up Bobby Wherli, Scooch, et al and ask them if this is true.
Just got off the phone. They confirmed the assessment as accurate.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:51 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Outscored 12-7 down the stretch this afternoon. Shameful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
Nothing better to calm everyone down than a game vs Fordham
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to zmz723 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-26-2019), Figgie123 (01-26-2019), flyerfanatic86 (01-28-2019), OSU Flyer (01-26-2019), SLUFLYER (01-27-2019), T-Bone 84 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Nothing better to calm everyone down than a game vs Fordham

Fordham had lost their previous five games by an average of four points. They are not terrible. We did to them something St Louis and George Mason couldn't do, both of whom beat them by only three points.