User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the UD Family Coach Donnie Jones!

Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
21m21 minutes ago
More
Wichita State assistant Donnie Jones will join Anthony Grant’s staff at Dayton, per source. Pair worked together on Billy Donovan’s staff for 10 years.

Sensational hire this late in the game

Also, if you followed the original assistant coach search... The UD administration, etc, turned down the hiring of him about a year ago... I'm glad they changed their minds!

Give him a follow @DonnieJones
22 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (07-10-2018), BeckysTXA (07-09-2018), Bonziflyer (07-09-2018), Bucketnight (07-10-2018), Canonball (07-11-2018), DaytonDecibelDungeon (07-09-2018), Fairborn Fan (07-09-2018), Flyer14 (07-09-2018), Flyer2 (07-09-2018), flyerfever (07-14-2018), jack72 (07-09-2018), Justin (07-09-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-09-2018), Ready Action (07-09-2018), Runnin' Rebel (07-09-2018), San Diego Flyer (07-09-2018), Sea Bass (07-09-2018), skip69 (07-11-2018), steverino015 (07-09-2018), TXFlyerFan (07-09-2018), upperarlingtonflyer (07-09-2018), Widget (07-09-2018)
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I am glad also. IIRC, he was Anthony's first choice last Spring. Welcome to Dayton, Donnie Jones.

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 07-09-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. Pardon the pun but this is a shocker.
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (07-10-2018), Flyer 86 (07-10-2018), jack72 (07-09-2018), Justin (07-09-2018), Runnin' Rebel (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess the sky is not falling after all!

A good connection to the Midwest and West, and a guy who is used to recruiting UD type players plus.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
I am glad also. IIRC, he was Anthony's first choice last Spring. Welcome to Dayton, Donnie Jones.
Indeed. Donnie Jones discussion the first go round. You can start reading on page 2 linked here about 8 posts down if interested. http://udpride.com/forums/showthread...t=30814&page=2

This hire tells me that AG has earned the trust of the UD administration after they understandably pumped the brakes on his hiring the first time.

For what it’s worth, I think it’s a good hire. You’re replacing a guy with a rep as a stud recruiter with a guy who has a rep of being a stud recruiter. In theory, Dayton can make out pretty good here with Donnie Jones building off the work that Kane has done. Yet another guy with deep Florida connections (on staff at UCF with Ricardo Greer) so at some point you gotta think we’re gonna start pulling guys north outta Florida. But the year he put in at Wichita State could pay huge dividends, and that's what I'm most excited about in the near term. Gregg Marshall and their staff cast a pretty wide net in terms of recruiting and they are getting upper echelon talent so it’s significant to potentially be able to tap into that. Assuming the news is correct, it shouldn’t be long before we hear some new names and offers that are pretty clearly coming from Donnie.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 07-09-2018 at 10:29 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-10-2018), San Diego Flyer (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Shockers perspective:

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...-jones-leaving
Old 07-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
You bloggers tell me if my understanding is correct. When you hire a recruiting assustant coach; aren’t you hiring the guy who already has a couple recruits in his fold already? In other words, in the selection process, you evaluate the quality of their connections to recruits as much as anything else?

My analogy, if you are hiring a salesman, you look at what customers he/she can bring along with them as much as anything else.

My analogy, if you are a real estate BROKER, wishing to bring into your team, a new real estate AGENT, don’t you expect that this person is bringing with them, at least, one sale already “in the bag”?

Even my doctor did this, when my doctor told me he was moving to a different clinic; he solicited me. He wished to see, if i wished to follow him to the new clinic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I guess the sky is not falling after all!

A good connection to the Midwest and West, and a guy who is used to recruiting UD type players plus.
Looking at who Jones recruited at UCF, it was almost exclusively Florida guys. And that makes sense, being such a talent-rich state. But Wichita State recruits everywhere. Here's their 2018 class:

Morris Udeze: 3 star center from Richmond, TX who prepped in Monteverde, FL
Eric Stevenson: 3 star SG from Lacey, WA
Chance Moore: 3 star SG from Louisville, KY
Isaiah Chandler: 3 star center from Wichita, KS
Jamie Echenique: 3 star JUCO center who hails from Colombia but went to juco in Athens, TX
Dexter Dennis: unranked SG from Baker, LA who prepped in Athens, TN
Jamarius Burton: 3 star combo or PG from Charlotte, NC
Rodgerick Brown: 3 star SG from Cordova, TN (redshirted 17-18 season)

So I don't know how much time Donnie Jones had to invest in 2019, 2020, and 2021 kids after Wichita State was recruiting Texas, Florida, Washington, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisiana, Tennessee and North Carolina for that massive 2018-19 haul but no doubt Gregg Marshall has had Donnie working hard. That's for sure.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
You bloggers tell me if my understanding is correct. When you hire a recruiting assustant coach; aren’t you hiring the guy who already has a couple recruits in his fold already? In other words, in the selection process, you evaluate the quality of their connections to recruits as much as anything else?

My analogy, if you are hiring a salesman, you look at what customers he/she can bring along with them as much as anything else.

My analogy, if you are a real estate BROKER, wishing to bring into your team, a new real estate AGENT, don’t you expect that this person is bringing with them, at least, one sale already “in the bag”?

Even my doctor did this, when my doctor told me he was moving to a different clinic; he solicited me. He wished to see, if i wished to follow him to the new clinic.
Posted via Mobile Device
That may be a consideration, but I doubt it is the most important consideration. Track record and relationship to existing staff is probably more important.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If I'm Wichita State, your condition of release would exclude active recruiting of all currently recruited players to WSU. But even that could be circumvented.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I don't see that as being a primary consideration. The fact that he and AG worked together for 10 years is the deciding factor.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 AM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
As they say penny wise and pound foolish, if you follow that philosophy. Having spent a bunch of my career recruiting, you always hire based on talent and long term potential, not what the guy can do for you in the next few months. If Jones has some recruits, awesome, but that is secondary.

Is he a hard worker, does he present himself and the program well, does he have good connections, does he uncover the hidden gems, does he get along well with others, can he relate to teenagers, does he have a no fish is too big attitude? That is what I would look for, and probably Grant did.

Last edited by jack72; 07-09-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
If I'm Wichita State, your condition of release would exclude active recruiting of all currently recruited players to WSU. But even that could be circumvented.
I don't think they can really do that. Several guys Donnie Jones was recruiting or at least following on twitter are guys Dayton has been monitoring / recruiting as well: Josh Pierre-Louis, Trae Broadnax, Tyrell Jones, CJ Walker and Kai Jones being a few examples.

Of course, they can block anyone from transferring out to Dayton or anyone they might release who signed an LOI from looking at Dayton.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 07-09-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Looking at who Jones recruited at UCF, it was almost exclusively Florida guys. And that makes sense, being such a talent-rich state. But Wichita State recruits everywhere. Here's their 2018 class:

Morris Udeze: 3 star center from Richmond, TX who prepped in Monteverde, FL
Eric Stevenson: 3 star SG from Lacey, WA
Chance Moore: 3 star SG from Louisville, KY
Isaiah Chandler: 3 star center from Wichita, KS
Jamie Echenique: 3 star JUCO center who hails from Colombia but went to juco in Athens, TX
Dexter Dennis: unranked SG from Baker, LA who prepped in Athens, TN
Jamarius Burton: 3 star combo or PG from Charlotte, NC
Rodgerick Brown: 3 star SG from Cordova, TN (redshirted 17-18 season)

So I don't know how much time Donnie Jones had to invest in 2019, 2020, and 2021 kids after Wichita State was recruiting Texas, Florida, Washington, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisiana, Tennessee and North Carolina for that massive 2018-19 haul but no doubt Gregg Marshall has had Donnie working hard. That's for sure.
Three centers in that haul. Is that even legal??? Perhaps UD could trade one guard-forward plus a player to be named later for one of their centers.

What is Wichita State thinking don't they know the future is in small ball. Perhaps this is the reason we see Donnie Jones coming to work for UD.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...214557970.html

Jones was valuable on WSU's staff for his head coach experience (he was a former lead man at Marshall and Central Florida), his ultra positivity and his recruiting ties in the South.
The timing comes three days before the first live recruiting period in July, a period during which the Shockers will try to finalize their 2019 recruiting class (one scholarship left) and start to build their 2020 recruiting class (two scholarships left).

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...wEZDzAHAszh9J/
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (07-09-2018), MNFats (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
Three centers in that haul. Is that even legal??? Perhaps UD could trade one guard-forward plus a player to be named later for one of their centers.

What is Wichita State thinking don't they know the future is in small ball. Perhaps this is the reason we see Donnie Jones coming to work for UD.
Here are the "highlights" of one of those centers. #21 in white. Which of our players are you willing to trade for this guy?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8664994...d8b82130f78a1c
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
troj (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Donnie Jones and Anthony Solomon, two former head coaches (that experience is great) with great recruiting chops. Yes please.

Assistants under AG a couple levels above assistants under AM.
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
THirt (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Donnie is from Point Pleasnt, WV. Isn't that where the mothman was?

I'm sure he's happy to be closer to home! It's great to have so many coaches who have worked together before. This is a critical stretch for 2019 recruiting with what appears to be three openings. Time to lock down Kai!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (07-10-2018), OSU Flyer (07-09-2018), Runnin' Rebel (07-09-2018), steverino015 (07-09-2018), THirt (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post

I'm sure he's happy to be closer to home! It's great to have so many coaches who have worked together before. This is a critical stretch for 2019 recruiting with what appears to be three openings. Time to lock down Kai!
Would be great if Donnie could get Kai and/or Mothman. Both have excellent wingspan.
Posted via Mobile Device
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (07-09-2018), flyerfanatic86 (07-10-2018), longtimefan67 (07-10-2018), OSU Flyer (07-09-2018), springborofan (07-09-2018), steverino015 (07-09-2018), superfan99 (07-10-2018), THirt (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:59 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Great hire, he can keep the traction going in the South.
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
THirt (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post

Mothman only "suited up" for special occasions, so it is possible he may have some eligibility left...) You can better believe, he will hit those boards for you.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Is this the most experienced staff in Dayton history?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Is this the most experienced staff in Dayton history?
Good question. I can’t think of another staff with three coaches that had head coaching experience.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:36 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Would be great if Donnie could get Kai and/or Mothman. Both have excellent wingspan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not only that but Mothman is menacing and if you go against him you know you're going to have disastrous game...
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:56 AM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Kai i am familiar with. But did i ever miss Mothman?

Can someone bring me up to speed on Mothman.

TIA
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:57 AM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
ahhhh. a joke character?

nvm
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Also, if you followed the original assistant coach search... The UD administration, etc, turned down the hiring of him about a year ago... I'm glad they changed their minds!
Wonder why admin rejected a year ago ... too much money? Any reservations about his past? Seems like a solid hire and upgrade, as long as there's not too many "cooks in the kitchen" with two former HC's. Glad AG got his man.

Enjoy Ames, Mr. Kane -- makes Dayton seem like Vegas.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Wonder why admin rejected a year ago ... too much money? Any reservations about his past?
Just a little issue with one of his assistants at UCF investigated for working with an agent to steer players to their program...that's all. The assistant was fired and Jones received a 3 game suspension.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
After the upcoming season at least 2 will be transferring out due to lack of minutes so we can pick up one then

WE should also give them a home-home series as compensation for taking an assistant . . .
Old 07-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Kai i am familiar with. But did i ever miss Mothman?

Can someone bring me up to speed on Mothman.

TIA
Okay, so Donnie Jones is from Point Pleasant, WV. And someone pointed out that that's also the place of the infamous Mothman citings. Mothman, much like the true center, is closer to myth than reality. But since there haven't been any true center sightings in Dayton lately, I'm not sure which is harder to find. But anyway, here's Mothman's wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (07-10-2018), springborofan (07-10-2018), steverino015 (07-10-2018), Swampy Meadows (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Just a little issue with one of his assistants at UCF investigated for working with an agent to steer players to their program...that's all. The assistant was fired and Jones received a 3 game suspension.
Jones got a 3 game suspension from UCF, and a 3 year show cause penalty was levied by the NCAA.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
So is it all agreed .... in preseason 2018/2019 ... knowing we have 3 previous head coaches on the floor ... we won't hear people complain in the future ... about UD being "out coached"?

Yes it is possible that AG and assistants may/will be out coached in 1 or 2 games in 2018/2019 ... but I hope the running theme, from last year, is dropped about AG's coaching ability.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marco red eagle View Post
So is it all agreed .... in preseason 2018/2019 ... knowing we have 3 previous head coaches on the floor ... we won't hear people complain in the future ... about UD being "out coached"?

Yes it is possible that AG and assistants may/will be out coached in 1 or 2 games in 2018/2019 ... but I hope the running theme, from last year, is dropped about AG's coaching ability.
There will always be games when one coach or another is "out-coached." Anthony Grant's problem last year was he did not have the horses to compete. Some games it may have appeared that his coaching was suspect, but that is really disguising the fact that he had marginally talented players across several positions, two freshmen starters, and very little bench strength. Any coach could look bad under those circumstances.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (07-11-2018), JimBo (07-13-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-10-2018), UDGutter2 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
It's official

http://daytonflyers.com/news/2018/7/...mbb-staff.aspx
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (07-12-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-12-2018), TommyGola (07-12-2018), TXFlyerFan (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:35 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
It's official

http://daytonflyers.com/news/2018/7/...mbb-staff.aspx
That is an incredible resume for an assistant coach. I really like his connections with other geographic areas. Another sign that Anthony Grant is building something very special.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
That is an incredible resume for an assistant coach. I really like his connections with other geographic areas. Another sign that Anthony Grant is building something very special.
Yes, but how on earth can you do a write up on the qualifications of Donnie Jones without addressing the elephant in the room. Has he or has he not ever encountered Mothman?! Somebody needs to ask him this and soon.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-12-2018), OSU Flyer (07-13-2018), steverino015 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
There will always be games when one coach or another is "out-coached." Anthony Grant's problem last year was he did not have the horses to compete. Some games it may have appeared that his coaching was suspect, but that is really disguising the fact that he had marginally talented players across several positions, two freshmen starters, and very little bench strength. Any coach could look bad under those circumstances.
Dilly dilly!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Brigadier General

steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, but how on earth can you do a write up on the qualifications of Donnie Jones without addressing the elephant in the room. Has he or has he not ever encountered Mothman?! Somebody needs to ask him this and soon.
omg yes!! Post of the thread, right here y'all!...) and if he DID encounter Mothman, did he find out if he had any eligibility left! outstanding post right there.....)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
ahhhh. a joke character?

nvm
A Character perhaps but he is no Joke. You do not want to meet him under the basket after you just passed the other four defenders during your dribble drive.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Jablonski tweets
Archdeacon is writing a Donnie Jones story for Sunday. As @marcushartman pointed out to me, Jones' hometown is also the home of the Mothman, though there was some debate as to whether the Mothman still lives there. Will Arch work a Mothman reference into his story?

More David Jablonski Retweeted David Jablonski
I read Arch's description of this story, so I can answer, Yes, the Mothman will definitely be mentioned in his Sunday piece on Donnie Jones.David Jablonski added,
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Jablonski tweets
Archdeacon is writing a Donnie Jones story for Sunday. As @marcushartman pointed out to me, Jones' hometown is also the home of the Mothman, though there was some debate as to whether the Mothman still lives there. Will Arch work a Mothman reference into his story?

More David Jablonski Retweeted David Jablonski
I read Arch's description of this story, so I can answer, Yes, the Mothman will definitely be mentioned in his Sunday piece on Donnie Jones.David Jablonski added,
yes!! Great news right there.....

you know, some how, some way, I just think as long as Donnie Jones is a member of the UD coaching staff Mothman should be making some regular appearances at UD Arena for our home games as a regular character...

that would be awesome stuff, right there... rooting for the Flyers, and staring at the opponents with glowing red eyes... and fists clinched lol.....) have a ""grrrowl"" come over the speakers
Old 07-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Major General

What if Archdeacon blows Donnie’s cover and the world finds out that he actually is the Mothman? Knowing the NCAA it probably violates some weird NCAA bylaw. Like you’re not allowed to employ an angel of death who foretells mass human tragedy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Brigadier General

What if Archdeacon blows Donnie’s cover and the world finds out that he actually is the Mothman? Knowing the NCAA it probably violates some weird NCAA bylaw. Like you’re not allowed to employ an angel of death who foretells mass human tragedy.
Posted via Mobile Device
lol!......)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
...you know, some how, some way, I just think as long as Donnie Jones is a member of the UD coaching staff Mothman should be making some regular appearances at UD Arena for our home games as a regular character...
Talk to The Red Scare. I’m sure at least 1 student will lose a barroom bet and have to wear a Mothman costume to the home games.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (07-16-2018)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:47 PM
General

Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
1h1 hour ago
More Jeff Goodman Retweeted Jeff Goodman
Two more names for Stetson, per source: Dayton assistant and former UCF head coach Donnie Jones and Bethune Cookman head coach Ryan Ridder.
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (03-07-2019)