Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 11:18 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Time for a change

I'm never critical of Archie or his decisions. I hope most take this the right way when I say that it's time to start X over Mikesell. I'm too ****ed off right now to type a book on my feelings or why.

Just going to leave this riiiiight..........Here.
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2017, 11:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see a big deal. X gets his minutes.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (01-30-2017), NYCFLYER (01-28-2017), ohioflyer (02-01-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-28-2017), upperarlingtonflyer (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:23 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Agree. More concerned with Crosby. And Cooke. And a total beat down on the boards.
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post
I'm never critical of Archie or his decisions. I hope most take this the right way when I say that it's time to start X over Mikesell. I'm too ****ed off right now to type a book on my feelings or why.

In certain situations I like RM in there, but he seemed like a bad matchup tonight. I was wondering why Archie left him in so long in the second half. Seemed like XW was a better matchup. Of course, Archie is much smarter than me at basketball, though.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when KP and XW both get two quick fouls on them? You have to let RM start and then see how it plays out before you decide how to use XW. Do you really want to be stuck with Miller in there for 15 minutes of the first half?

If/When Cunningham comes back and not quite ready to start, you can afford to do that.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
All is well! Remain Calm!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold

That's what you took from this game?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Browns For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-01-2017), jerseyflyer09 (02-02-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Browns View Post
That's what you took from this game?
I took alot from the game. Offensive rebounding was a huge issue and I saw Mikesell get the ball thrown on top of his head more than a few times tonight. If he's not in position he is not athletic enough to make up for it. When he is in position he is still not athletic at times and people go right over him. He's smart, he uses timing more than anything to get his boards. He got exposed tonight IMHO as we continually got beat in that area.

I didn't say he is not a good player or that he won't be one. I just feel that X is pretty far ahead of him at this point and there is no reason he shouldn't be starting.

Your best 5 start the game, X needs to be in there.

Last edited by RamodWaleskowski; 01-28-2017 at 01:28 AM..
Old 01-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Hard to call for a change after this game when all four of our bigs were incapable of being physical and grabbing a rebound. The only change should be in the offseason weight room regimens. Archie has proven to improve skill in players but we've yet to see anyone's body and athleticism transform under him. I know the BG days are unpopular on this forum but we could sure use one of his off-season programs to get these guys in shape and get the right defensive/rebounding mentality
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevinob15 View Post
Archie has proven to improve skill in players but we've yet to see anyone's body and athleticism transform under him
You are kidding, right? Big Steve was dramatic.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:06 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
And don't forget that several UDPriders were concerned about how frail Scoochie looked when he first arrived on campus. Not so frail now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2017, 12:15 AM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
And don't forget that several UDPriders were concerned about how frail Scoochie looked when he first arrived on campus. Not so frail now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Part of that is coming in at 18 and leaving at 22, but your point is taken.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 AM
Captain

flyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of light
Gentleman, Mikesell is the best basketball player of the sophomore class.

This is still a great team.

Their problems will arise whenever they face skilled big men. Not going to be a lot of that going through the rest of the schedule.

Dudes, we are in the tourny, the best soph we have is starting, and Archie only has to figure out how to beat the great down low presence
Mad Props to flyhi524 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:59 AM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The only real problem tonight was Scoochie getting his 2nd foul in the first half. We were up ten, Crosby came in, played like sh!t, the lead evaporated and the game was lost.

This would've been a statement win on the road, but it was never going to be easy. This is a game we can afford to lose, unlike our next road game. Let's move on and get ready to beat Fordham.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-29-2017), Flyer69ers (01-29-2017), maddog07 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 03:15 AM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
We got killed on the boards. But take Tillman and Mo Alie-Cox off VCU and they'd be where Dayton currently is -- undermanned and without two of their best post players they figured they would have this year (Steve, Josh).

What we've been doing is what we've been doing for five seasons with non-stop continual debilitating losses, defections, injuries, and deaths: doing more with less and a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Sometimes with such depleted bodies, there are going to be nights when you wish you had the missing faces. But it is what it is. This game really shouldnt have been close. Look at Rhode Island. Same type of injuries and they don't overcome.

Any other program and this team is NIT City right now. That we're still in the discussion is nothing short of amazing considering we've played perhaps 5 games all year with a full roster -- and by full I still mean everyone but Steve and Josh (and Kostas).

You take your lumps sometimes. VCU held serve and was supposed to win. What we learned is even with the lack of big bodies and no rebounding, VCU was only up 3 late. They should have been up 15-20.

Take the two best big men off every other A10 team to even things up and Dayton is the best team in the league by 10 points a night.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (01-28-2017), CE80 (01-28-2017), Cityengr (01-28-2017), cralford (01-29-2017), david85 (01-28-2017), LIBob (01-29-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-28-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-28-2017), The Fly (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 03:45 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
We got killed on the boards. But take Tillman and Mo Alie-Cox off VCU and they'd be where Dayton currently is -- undermanned and without two of their best post players they figured they would have this year (Steve, Josh).

What we've been doing is what we've been doing for five seasons with non-stop continual debilitating losses, defections, injuries, and deaths: doing more with less and a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Sometimes with such depleted bodies, there are going to be nights when you wish you had the missing faces. But it is what it is. This game really shouldnt have been close. Look at Rhode Island. Same type of injuries and they don't overcome.

Any other program and this team is NIT City right now. That we're still in the discussion is nothing short of amazing considering we've played perhaps 5 games all year with a full roster -- and by full I still mean everyone but Steve and Josh (and Kostas).

You take your lumps sometimes. VCU held serve and was supposed to win. What we learned is even with the lack of big bodies and no rebounding, VCU was only up 3 late. They should have been up 15-20.

Take the two best big men off every other A10 team to even things up and Dayton is the best team in the league by 10 points a night.
I agree with a lot of what you said. And I guess what hurts the most is that what you're really saying is losing Steve and Josh brought us from maybe final 4 dreams to back to the pack in the Atlantic 10. Basically Archie had built a great, great team in the 6 seasons he's been here and it's not really a up with the elites because of injuries and tragedy.

I really hope we are able to keep him until the odds of fortune balance out for us and we have that team that can through a season without any major setbacks. And if that day arrives, one of two things are going to have to happen for this program to sustain it far into the future and that is the A10 gets much better as whole or we get into a more prestigious conference. Because that's what I believe is going to have to happen for AM's legacy to this program to continue after he leaves.

Last edited by Smitty10; 01-28-2017 at 03:48 AM..
Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Should have clarified. Haven't seen changes small to big. In other words you don't see anyone under Archie gaining muscle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2017, 07:18 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
When we go up against talented big men we can't have scoring draughts. We went cold for about 6 minutes at the end of the first half, scoring only 2 points late in that draught. Then we had another 5-6 minutes stretch with about 10 minutes left.

But mostly, you've gotta block put on the boards. All things considered we've done surprisingly well most of the year in the area, but not last night.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Whacker (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said. And I guess what hurts the most is that what you're really saying is losing Steve and Josh brought us from maybe final 4 dreams to back to the pack in the Atlantic 10. Basically Archie had built a great, great team in the 6 seasons he's been here and it's not really a up with the elites because of injuries and tragedy.

I really hope we are able to keep him until the odds of fortune balance out for us and we have that team that can through a season without any major setbacks. And if that day arrives, one of two things are going to have to happen for this program to sustain it far into the future and that is the A10 gets much better as whole or we get into a more prestigious conference. Because that's what I believe is going to have to happen for AM's legacy to this program to continue after he leaves.
I feel like we can only use the injuries and tragedy excuse for so long. It's awful what happened but this isn't the first time we've faced adversity. We had two of our bigs kicked off the team and had one of the best seasons in recent history albeit they were no Big Steve or Josh. Just had a group of guys who wanted it more and battled every step of the way. Need that mentality on this team.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Kevinob15 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-29-2017), jack72 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
To get back to the thread topic, if all you see is a physical ability then X is obviously better to be playing than Ryan at the position Ryan is forced to play. But X for all the spectacular plays ie blocks he makes he makes more than enough bad plays to make up for them. My guess without doing a study is that the plus /minus for UD is worse when X is in the game than when Ryan is in the game (excluding the Duquesne game when X was all world). As I recall last night UD lost a ten point lead with X in the game and even the commentators indicated that a lot of the points that VCU was getting were the result of bad play on the part of X not playing team defense.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
When we go up against talented big men we can't have scoring draughts. We went cold for about 6 minutes at the end of the first half, scoring only 2 points late in that draught. Then we had another 5-6 minutes stretch with about 10 minutes left.

But mostly, you've gotta block put on the boards. All things considered we've done surprisingly well most of the year in the area, but not last night.
A part of the reason we had those draughts is because we gave up so many offensive rebounds. It is no secret that our offense is at its best in transition, and that doesn't necessarily mean just fast break layups, but it flows much better that way. Give up that many O boards and the offense stops getting into its true rhythm.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-28-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:20 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Our personnel are our personnel. There is no magic formula of lineups OT playing time that is going to be the solution. Steve is gone, Josh is hurt and Kostas is not playing until next year. We are going to get beat on the glass by many teams but we need to keep the differential to a minimum. An emphasis on fundamental rebounding skills is needed. Also an attitude adjustment on how important it is.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by flyhi524 View Post

Their problems will arise whenever they face skilled big men. Not going to be a lot of that going through the rest of the schedule.

Dudes, we are in the tourny, the best soph we have is starting, and Archie only has to figure out how to beat the great down low presence
The best player in the sophomore class had 2 points and 1 rebound while playing 23 minutes last night.

HELLO!!!

Williams is CLEARLY the better scorer, rebounder, defender and athlete. Has better +/- numbers as well.
Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 04:25 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
My biggest hope for both Mikesell and Williams is that they put on 25 pounds each this offseason. I was really surprised to see both return this season without much added bulk. Really excited about the future of X and Mikesell, but watching them getting pushed around last night was difficult.
Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
My biggest hope for both Mikesell and Williams is that they put on 25 pounds each this offseason. I was really surprised to see both return this season without much added bulk. Really excited about the future of X and Mikesell, but watching them getting pushed around last night was difficult.
I totally disagree... if you saw Ryan and Xerius up close their freshman year, and then saw them up close their sophmore year - big difference, both gained a lot of muscle in 1 year.

Also, compare Scoochie and Kyle from their freshman year till now - big, big difference in their strength.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-29-2017), jack72 (01-29-2017), MrFlyerFanatic (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:59 PM

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
I totally disagree... if you saw Ryan and Xerius up close their freshman year, and then saw them up close their sophmore year - big difference, both gained a lot of muscle in 1 year.

Also, compare Scoochie and Kyle from their freshman year till now - big, big difference in their strength.
I agree. X posted pictures of himself on Twitter showing before and after his freshman year.
I'm betting those pictures may be standard to show the changes.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:34 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyhi524 View Post

Spot on assessment. XW has better 3pt, fg, & Ft %'s, 13 more blocks, and rebounds the same. RM has about 20 min more in total for the season, about a minute a game. But, on ESPN, it does say RM has more intangibles.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:39 PM
General

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Spot on assessment. XW has better 3pt, fg, & Ft %'s, 13 more blocks, and rebounds the same. RM has about 20 min more in total for the season, about a minute a game. But, on ESPN, it does say RM has more intangibles.
I can't say which player is better. But again, what difference does it make? The fact that XW is KP's backup is what dictates Mikesell starting. I'm guessing that every minute that KP is out, XW is in. You can't take a chance of sending both KP and XW out on the court to start the game because if they both draw quick fouls, we have nothing left in the paint. It's better for AM to see how many fouls KP has at a certain point in the first half and also get a feel for how the refs are calling the game before putting XW and KP on the floor at the same time.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-29-2017), jack72 (01-29-2017), LIBob (01-29-2017), ud69 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Look at Rhode Island. Same type of injuries and they don't overcome.

Don't look now, but they are only one game behind us in the standings. They also have a big Top 25 win over Cincinnati. We have one Top 50 win: Rhode Island.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Captain

I can't say which player is better. But again, what difference does it make? The fact that XW is KP's backup is what dictates Mikesell starting. I'm guessing that every minute that KP is out, XW is in. You can't take a chance of sending both KP and XW out on the court to start the game because if they both draw quick fouls, we have nothing left in the paint. It's better for AM to see how many fouls KP has at a certain point in the first half and also get a feel for how the refs are calling the game before putting XW and KP on the floor at the same time.
XW is Pollard's back up? Ok, than who is RMs back up?? Sam Miller is Pollard's back up and X is RMs back up. Miller has just lost minutes at that spot to X which is why X has been playing as much as he does.

Now that I have calmed down a bit I guess I can see why Mikesell does start. Bring RM and Sam off the bench..... Yuck. If X and Pollard both get into quick foul trouble than we are in trouble. Can't get Cunningham back soon enough and than this whole thread will be pointless.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:10 PM
General

XW is Pollard's back up? Ok, than who is RMs back up?? Sam Miller is Pollard's back up and X is RMs back up. Miller has just lost minutes at that spot to X which is why X has been playing as much as he does.

Now that I have calmed down a bit I guess I can see why Mikesell does start. Bring RM and Sam off the bench..... Yuck. If X and Pollard both get into quick foul trouble than we are in trouble. Can't get Cunningham back soon enough and than this whole thread will be pointless.
Really? Is Miller in the game 100 percent of the time when Pollard sits?
You just said that if X and Pollard get into foul trouble, we're in trouble. Don't you believe that by keeping them off the floor at the same time for long stretches helps avoids that scenario? And doesn't it make sense to keep them off the floor until at least the first timeout to get a feel of how the game is panning out? Games are not won in the first 4 minutes usually so how does starting XW with KP help?

And as far as Mikesell's backup? Sometimes it's Miller, Sometimes it's Cooke when AM puts Crosby and Scooch in at the same time or has Baby D in there. Sometimes it's XW when KP and XW are on the floor at the same time.

Last edited by Smitty10; 01-29-2017 at 08:13 PM..
Old 01-29-2017, 08:38 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm fully behind Archie. I really don't worry about personnel anymore. What he and his staff did to develop Big Steve (RIP), and what I saw of Josh early on has me pretty confident UD would've had a dominant front court this season. No doubt in my mind. But this edition is not, and would've not been complete without a reputable backup at pg. I think Crosby is overwhelmed by the competition. Seems to me he's always nervous. He doesn't seem to have a good feel for tempo imo. And he is not a very good facilitator and distributor of the ball. I hope he makes up some distance because he's got a long way to go to be good.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 PM
General

Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
I'm fully behind Archie. I really don't worry about personnel anymore. What he and his staff did to develop Big Steve (RIP), and what I saw of Josh early on has me pretty confident UD would've had a dominant front court this season. No doubt in my mind. But this edition is not, and would've not been complete without a reputable backup at pg. I think Crosby is overwhelmed by the competition. Seems to me he's always nervous. He doesn't seem to have a good feel for tempo imo. And he is not a very good facilitator and distributor of the ball. I hope he makes up some distance because he's got a long way to go to be good.
AM has been fantastic finding the right players to grow into what he wants. I just wonder if Crosby is the exception due to Khari Price leaving and having to fill the role of 2nd PG in desperate way. Just thinking that if Khari would've stayed, would AM have taken more time to find next year's starting PG. I just cannot fathom how bad Crosby is at this point of time when we need him to be just adequate.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:43 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Crosby is the issue? AM has found the right players? We have freshman next year who MUST play like upperclassman to have a winning record. This is finding the right players?

We currently have one Junior and one Freshman...sounds like a train wreck to me.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
The only real problem tonight was Scoochie getting his 2nd foul in the first half. We were up ten, Crosby came in, played like sh!t, the lead evaporated and the game was lost. . .
Filling the shoes that leave with Scoochie is going to be next years biggest problem -
unless things start to change.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (01-30-2017), FLYER5 (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:00 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
Crosby is the issue? AM has found the right players? We have freshman next year who MUST play like upperclassman to have a winning record. This is finding the right players?

We currently have one Junior and one Freshman...sounds like a train wreck to me.
So, the pattern is we have a lot of Juniors and Freshman, or we have a lot of seniors and Sophomores. I don't see a problem in that. And please tell me besides that, what has AM not done in gathering personnel that you would've? And don't tell me having a replacement for Big Steve.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:22 AM
Captain

Really? Is Miller in the game 100 percent of the time when Pollard sits?
You just said that if X and Pollard get into foul trouble, we're in trouble. Don't you believe that by keeping them off the floor at the same time for long stretches helps avoids that scenario? And doesn't it make sense to keep them off the floor until at least the first timeout to get a feel of how the game is panning out? Games are not won in the first 4 minutes usually so how does starting XW with KP help?

And as far as Mikesell's backup? Sometimes it's Miller, Sometimes it's Cooke when AM puts Crosby and Scooch in at the same time or has Baby D in there. Sometimes it's XW when KP and XW are on the floor at the same time.
Alright look Smitty.... Let me break this down so I can stop partaking in the dumbest conversation of my somewhat young and illustrious life.

Your original post about who played where indicated that certain players (RM, XW) were back ups and starters. That's the terms you used. When you speak in that sense and use those terms it gives any knowledge basketball fan the impression that you are referring to a depth chart to distinguish backups and starters. A depth chart is used to determine the starters and backup players on a basketball team (source: basketball for dummies). If UD had a depth chart with the healthy players they have today it would look like this.

1.)Scoochie, Crosby
2.)KD, DD
3.)Cooke, Landers
4)RM, XW
5.)Pollard, Miller

Now, just because this is what the depth chart would look like in terms of starters and backups that doesn't mean that's how playing time will be divided. XW is the first Big off the bench regardless of whether it is Pollard or RM. DD is the first wing player off the bench regardless of whether it's Cooke or KD. While Landers doesn't play much he has spent some of his time at the 4 spot with Cunningham's injury.

Point is, it doesn't necessarily matter who the "backup" is. This was all obviously a misunderstanding.

Outside of that, read the 2nd paragraph of my previous post please. I agreed with you and than went on to explain why it now makes sense to me why RM would start. In addition to that and most importantly for the 2nd time now, when Cunningham comes back none of this matters.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevinob15 View Post
I feel like we can only use the injuries and tragedy excuse for so long. It's awful what happened but this isn't the first time we've faced adversity. We had two of our bigs kicked off the team and had one of the best seasons in recent history albeit they were no Big Steve or Josh. Just had a group of guys who wanted it more and battled every step of the way. Need that mentality on this team.
Posted via Mobile Device
That team was an aberration and you're likely to never see another team in NCAA history given the exact same scenario as UD ever do what they did. I can tell you for a fact that Archie to this day is speechless when trying to explain that team and just shakes his head because he can't. EVERYTHING outside of the circumstances that brought them to that stage went right and all you need to look at is how terribly they got out-rebounded due to the obvious but, more importantly, because they could not afford to EVER lose a player to foul trouble and not sure if more than 1-2 guys fouled out the entire year.Even when 1-2 players got their 4th foul it should have been over.

When you're over-matched, regardless the circumstances, then you're over-matched. Take 2 BIGS/starters off any team and see how they handle it.....Simply put if you're getting punked' out on the boards in a road game you simply have to have your A10 1st team player(s) playing well and scoring and CC did not or another hot hand. He needed to score 18-20 in that game......At home, many more of the intangibles come into play and that same game UD possibly would have won...
Old 01-30-2017, 10:42 AM
General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
That team was an aberration and you're likely to never see another team in NCAA history given the exact same scenario as UD ever do what they did. I can tell you for a fact that Archie to this day is speechless when trying to explain that team and just shakes his head because he can't. EVERYTHING outside of the circumstances that brought them to that stage went right and all you need to look at is how terribly they got out-rebounded due to the obvious but, more importantly, because they could not afford to EVER lose a player to foul trouble and not sure if more than 1-2 guys fouled out the entire year.Even when 1-2 players got their 4th foul it should have been over.

When you're over-matched, regardless the circumstances, then you're over-matched. Take 2 BIGS/starters off any team and see how they handle it.....Simply put if you're getting punked' out on the boards in a road game you simply have to have your A10 1st team player(s) playing well and scoring and CC did not or another hot hand. He needed to score 18-20 in that game......At home, many more of the intangibles come into play and that same game UD possibly would have won...
I don't think it's as difficult to explain as you say. What happened was that 5 talented guys, took an opportunity to play mega-minutes and followed everything the coach told them. I think even AM said prior to playing a game after the expulsions that coaching is easier because you're not worried about giving everyone minutes. When you have the 5 talents that we had, it's not hard to build great chemistry when they are all putting in 36 minutes or more. I think 5 great players saw a golden opportunity and ran with it. Now I don't want to slight Wehrli or Baby D, couldn't have happened without them and they also got the opportunities of their lifetime and ran with it.

It took great coaching and talent, unselfishness and probably more than anything, 7 guys that bonded in the face of adversity. Big Steve also played a major part in it because I think more than anything he helped DP get used to playing against the trees during practice.

I sometimes think they accomplished more than the elite eight team did because not only the adversity they faced with a small team(both size and numbers) but the tournament committee stopped them dead in their tracks by making them play-in which added up to 6 games in 10 days.

You are correct though, it will most likely never happen again anywhere. If there was ever a whole team to be inducted into the UD HOF as a single entity, 2014-2015 would be the one IMO.

Last edited by Smitty10; 01-30-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Old 01-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
It took great coaching and talent, unselfishness and probably more than anything, 7 guys that bonded in the face of adversity. Big Steve also played a major part in it because I think more than anything he helped DP get used to playing against the trees during practice.
Reading this section reminded me of one of the most touching tweets I read after Steve's death.
Bobby Wehrli
‏@bwehrli_10
Prepared me for every game last year when I was out weighed and out matched game in and game out. Rest in peace big fella… https://www.instagram.com/p/BFVK_i7O7Pu/
Steve was definitely part of that team's success.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-30-2017), FLYER5 (01-31-2017), UDBaby (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone else besides me wish that Bobby Wehrli would have come back for a fifth year this season? He just had a knack for the ball and you could always count on him to give 110%! Seldom turned the ball over! Made everyone around him better! Appreciated what others did for him, especially Big Steve on the scout team as evidenced by his tweet!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-31-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-30-2017), UDTradition (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:19 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
You have to have 100% buy in. I don't think you have that right now.

The E8 run had guys that bought into what AM was selling 100% of the time. Not when it was convenient. Defensively, this team has done pretty well this season overall. Offensively, when they play together and click, they are hard to beat. The issue is when you have a few possessions where they forgot where they came from and start running around on their own program. Too often that happens on multiple possessions at critical junctures of games. There are a couple guys that we all focus on that seem to be the major offenders.

X and Ryan aren't the problem. Yes, they are going to get exposed at times. But I would rather a teams talent beat our talent then have guys that don't appear to buy in to what coach is selling. The negative minutes on the floor are when Scooch is off the floor and when people try to do too much.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (02-02-2017), CvilleFlyer (01-31-2017), Flyer 86 (02-02-2017), FLYER5 (01-31-2017), FlyerGuyer (01-30-2017), Whacker (02-01-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
No

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
Does anyone else besides me wish that Bobby Wehrli would have come back for a fifth year this season? He just had a knack for the ball and you could always count on him to give 110%! Seldom turned the ball over! Made everyone around him better! Appreciated what others did for him, especially Big Steve on the scout team as evidenced by his tweet!
Come on, a great kid but he had all of eight (8) baskets in 22 games last year. He was all we had and he worked really hard, but he's not the answer. He also had less than a rebound a game -some of it in garbage time,the VCU guys would have abused him as much or more.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
The Elite Eight Run was a fifth year senior (see fake rape case and illigitimatly suspended), The Ohio State Transfer, Georgetown transfer, a four year star and UD Captain, the three current seniors from that club (winningest class in UD history), and mr. Do it all Dyshawn Pierre a Canadian National Team Member, under used...see Archie Miller...A Gorilla, Kyria Price, and silly scott and robinson.

It wasn't because of their great Archie buy in; but rather they were more talented than just about every team in the nation. They could have very easily beat UCONN in the National Championship Game...no questions asked. Minus two quick three-pointres at end of first half, UD could have very well beat Florida.

As for the Mikesell criticism, you can forget it. UD would be up a stink hole this year without the emergence of Mikesell and XWILLIAMS. As for Mikesell's defense, go back and watch the Richmond game second half. Ryan Mikesell dominated on defense and late game rebounding. Several games this year, UD doesn't win without Mikesell. Debating XWILLIAMS should start is one thing, but acting like Mikesell has no business on the floor is a sign of personal, albeit inaccurate, bias if there ever was any.

The ncaa at-large chances are on the brink because the team practices hodgepodge offensive strategy. That is the fault of the Morgan's husband, not the Northwestern fans, the referees, or Ryan Mikesell.

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 01-31-2017 at 09:17 AM..
Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
The issue is when you have a few possessions where they forgot where they came from and start running around on their own program. Too often that happens on multiple possessions at critical junctures of games. There are a couple guys that we all focus on that seem to be the major offenders.
I agree with this 100% and to the extent that they aren't tough...or perhaps lose focus...at key times....like when they are up 10 vs. VCU on the road. Instead of clamping down and playing smart, like make the fuggin' layup KP instead of fuggin' up the glory jam, they let a lot of possessions go into the ditch...

The result of this lack of focus has been a lot of long scoring droughts in many games, which either puts us in a sink hole or erode a lead.

Mental focus and toughness from tip to horn is hard, but that is the only way these guys will go from being good to being very good.

Last edited by UDBaby; 01-31-2017 at 12:57 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-31-2017), FLYER5 (01-31-2017), Muckem333 (02-01-2017), shocka43 (01-31-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:12 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
The Elite Eight Run was a fifth year senior (see fake rape case and illigitimatly suspended), The Ohio State Transfer, Georgetown transfer, a four year star and UD Captain, the three current seniors from that club (winningest class in UD history), and mr. Do it all Dyshawn Pierre a Canadian National Team Member, under used...see Archie Miller...A Gorilla, Kyria Price, and silly scott and robinson.

It wasn't because of their great Archie buy in; but rather they were more talented than just about every team in the nation. They could have very easily beat UCONN in the National Championship Game...no questions asked. Minus two quick three-pointres at end of first half, UD could have very well beat Florida.

As for the Mikesell criticism, you can forget it. UD would be up a stink hole this year without the emergence of Mikesell and XWILLIAMS. As for Mikesell's defense, go back and watch the Richmond game second half. Ryan Mikesell dominated on defense and late game rebounding. Several games this year, UD doesn't win without Mikesell. Debating XWILLIAMS should start is one thing, but acting like Mikesell has no business on the floor is a sign of personal, albeit inaccurate, bias if there ever was any.

The ncaa at-large chances are on the brink because the team practices hodgepodge offensive strategy. That is the fault of the Morgan's husband, not the Northwestern fans, the referees, or Ryan Mikesell.
Where did I or anyone else say Mikesell shouldn't be on the floor.... I even said he is good player but that X has brought more to the table. Specifically athleticism, shot blocking and rebounding.

The debate was whether one or the other should start. Where you got that he sucks and shouldn't be here.... I really don't know.
FLYER5 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:48 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
I never implied that you implied "sucks".

But clearly the nature of your post is Mikesell not carrying his starting weight privileges. Otherwise you should have simply said you think XWILLIAMS should play more minutes. Specifically, you said you were too POed right now to type a book on your feelings of why.

That's a negative implication if there ever was one.

I've been one of the biggest XWILLIAMS supporters on this board, from day one; but you choose to make it partly about Mikesell. I agree that XWILLIAMS should get more playing time; but it has nothing to do with Mikesell starting.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:30 AM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
How does Dayton have the 7th best defense in the country and highest ever overall computer rankings under Archie yet the team is not buying what Archie is selling?!?!?

Dayton simply does not have the personnel to rebound offensively. If they did, think Josh and Big Steve (RIP), Fayton would be a top 10-20 team instead of 30-40. Seriously, UD is great in every defensive and offensive category except offensive rebounding and foul shooting.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2017), jack72 (02-01-2017), TMPH66 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
Agree - BW proved his worth, made the most of his opportunity and that team wouldnt have accomplished what it did without him. Team chemistry that year was unparalleled - i dont think I'll ever see something like that season again in my lifetime
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2017, 08:45 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
How does Dayton have the 7th best defense in the country and highest ever overall computer rankings under Archie yet the team is not buying what Archie is selling?!?!?

Dayton simply does not have the personnel to rebound offensively. If they did, think Josh and Big Steve (RIP), Fayton would be a top 10-20 team instead of 30-40. Seriously, UD is great in every defensive and offensive category except offensive rebounding and foul shooting.
I buy that we don't have the personnel to be a top rebounding team but they can do a better job than they have been doing. Still too many instances where our guy is just looking to grab the ball without thinking about boxing out his man. Not saying we will ever be a top rebounding team but there is room for improvement and that improvement can make all the difference in the world against the teams like VCU.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post

Great points rue, but I think computers and statistics can only tell us so much. That's why the game is still played on the court, not on Ken Pom's computer...
Old 02-01-2017, 02:02 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I buy that we don't have the personnel to be a top rebounding team but they can do a better job than they have been doing. Still too many instances where our guy is just looking to grab the ball without thinking about boxing out his man. Not saying we will ever be a top rebounding team but there is room for improvement and that improvement can make all the difference in the world against the teams like VCU.
Statistically 2017 defensive rebounding is virtually the same as 2014 and 2015. 2016 Dayton was better with Big Steve (RIP). The Flyers are a top 50 defensive rebounding team (VCU game was an anomaly).

The issue is offensive rebounding where Dayton is a bottom 50 team out of 350. Archie would argue that this is because of the offensive sets the Flyers run where 4/5 players are at the 3 point line, this does not allow for a high-rate of offensive rebounding. He would also argue with the personnel the Flyers have, it is more difficult to rebound offensively, only Sam, Charles, and X really have the capability. Yes Kyle can and Kendall can, but they are not great offensively. Also Archie would argue why we are a top 10 defensive team is our commitment to getting back on defense and hence hurts offensive rebounding.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (02-02-2017), jack72 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:22 PM
Captain

I never implied that you implied "sucks".

But clearly the nature of your post is Mikesell not carrying his starting weight privileges. Otherwise you should have simply said you think XWILLIAMS should play more minutes. Specifically, you said you were too POed right now to type a book on your feelings of why.

That's a negative implication if there ever was one.

I've been one of the biggest XWILLIAMS supporters on this board, from day one; but you choose to make it partly about Mikesell. I agree that XWILLIAMS should get more playing time; but it has nothing to do with Mikesell starting.
He is not carrying his weight right now.

Didn't say he was a bad player. Please don't put words in my mouth. I only implied that he was not playing well and that I thought X deserved the starting nod. Someone said Mikesell is the best player in the Sophomore class. I provided facts that say otherwise. Once again this is about X and Ryan and which one I thought should be starting. How that turns into Mikesell doesn't belong here and should never play.... Well I am not really sure.

I only think that X should start, nothing more nothing less.

As for the reason I was too ****ed off it had everything to do with how embarrassing of a loss that was. I am OK with losing to good programs from time to time but not in that regard. We got out hustled and most especially VCU was tougher than us and wanted it more than us.

Last edited by RamodWaleskowski; 02-01-2017 at 11:25 PM..
FLYER5 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Not much difference in X or Mikesell in what they bring to the table. And who cares who starts, that is only for fans to debate. The bottom line is that neither one of these guys is what a Top 25 team needs to put on the floor. That is Steve's and Josh's position, and either one of those guys are not getting it done at a level that makes us competitive at a top level. It is what it is, and just like with Crosby, we can moan all we want, but there is no great solution that gets us over the hump.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:22 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
The bottom line is that neither one of these guys is what a Top 25 team needs to put on the floor.
WOW. Bookmarking this thread right now.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Time for a change; depends

We have seen both players have good, bad and ugly games. As is the case a lot has to do with matchups. Think we'll be fine with both as they have both come a long way from what many priders were saying at the beginning of the season.

Important thing is that they both stay healthy and continue to grow into their full potential.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:01 PM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold

More talented than just about any team in the nation? What?
Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 04:48 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
And when we do not make it to the Top 25 by season end or the Top 16 in the NCAA, make sure you bring it out. But I hope by the NCAA Josh is back at full strength and we do not have to play the sophomores so much.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 View Post
More talented than just about any team in the nation? What?

A Gorilla, Kyria Price.
Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jerseyflyer09 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 09:46 PM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
We're about 15 games from both XW & RM starting.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
And when we do not make it to the Top 25 by season end or the Top 16 in the NCAA, make sure you bring it out. But I hope by the NCAA Josh is back at full strength and we do not have to play the sophomores so much.
Wait, this year or EVER? I read it to say "ever". If you meant this year--well yeah, they're still sophomores and they're putting up really good numbers for undersized sophomores playing out of position. If Cunningham was healthy they would both be playing less minutes, no doubt. And if Steve was still here then less still.

But as juniors and seniors I think they'll be really good, solid contributors to a top-25 caliber team. Not the superstars, but do you think XW would not play minutes for St. Mary, Northwestern, Creighton, Butler, etc?? Mikesell by next year? I would say fat chance.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 AM

Wait, this year or EVER? I read it to say "ever". If you meant this year--well yeah, they're still sophomores and they're putting up really good numbers for undersized sophomores playing out of position. If Cunningham was healthy they would both be playing less minutes, no doubt. And if Steve was still here then less still.

But as juniors and seniors I think they'll be really good, solid contributors to a top-25 caliber team. Not the superstars, but do you think XW would not play minutes for St. Mary, Northwestern, Creighton, Butler, etc?? Mikesell by next year? I would say fat chance.
I am talking about right now. I hope both turn out to be stud players, but that is a guess. Right now we have 4 excellent players and a bunch of average guys. We want to take it to the next level, but you do not do it with guys who are average. Hopefully, Josh makes it 5 very soon.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:49 AM

Townie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud of
Josh is a sophomore so how is he playing going to reduce the amount of tin a sophomore plays?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Townie View Post
Josh is a sophomore so how is he playing going to reduce the amount of tin a sophomore plays?
We are talking about right now. "The sophomores" refer to Sam, X and Mikesell.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
I think Sam, X and
RM have been
outstanding.with KP
and Cunningham out they
really stepped up....
in a season in which
little was expected
of them if we had
Big Steve, KP and
Cunningham. Thanks
3 some for saving
our season.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Crosby is in over his head. He's proved that time and time again. His Fordham showing was despicable. With Kyle back at full strength, we need to go Scoochie, Kyle, Cooke, Pollard and (fill in the blank between Mikesell or X). Darrell Davis should be the backup PG as well as SG. Crosby really shouldn't see any minutes.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (02-03-2017), CT Flyer (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
I think Sam, X and
RM have been
outstanding.with KP
and Cunningham out they
really stepped up....
in a season in which
little was expected
of them if we had
Big Steve, KP and
Cunningham. Thanks
3 some for saving
our season.
Then why are we not in the Top 25? Are the seniors not playing at that level? I feel they are.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:55 PM
General

Then why are we not in the Top 25? Are the seniors not playing at that level? I feel they are.
There are diminishing marginal returns to how many really good 6'0" - 6'5" guards you have. 1 stud 7 footer makes them look all world, and a 6'6" center who can't get a rebound makes them look downright pedestrian.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:17 PM

There are diminishing marginal returns to how many really good 6'0" - 6'5" guards you have. 1 stud 7 footer makes them look all world, and a 6'6" center who can't get a rebound makes them look downright pedestrian.
I don't understand. X is 6'9, Sam is 6'9" and Mikesell is 6'7".
Old 02-06-2017, 12:26 PM
General

I don't understand. X is 6'9, Sam is 6'9" and Mikesell is 6'7".
You don't understand the difference between the 6'8" (not 6'9") 210 pound XW and a stud center?? As a freshman Steve was 6'11, 268 and was MOBILE.

You don't understand the difference between 6'9" 238 pound Sam Miller and a stud center?? Really??

Sam has 11 blocks so far this year, XW has 25 blocks while averaging 22 minutes per game.

Meanwhile, Steve finished his freshman year with 55 blocks in 18 minutes per game. He holds the single game record for blocked shots (6), holds the single season record for blocks, and had he not died he would already. . . through 20 games as a sophomore . . . rank in the top 10 all-time shot blockers at UD. #9 on that list is 70 career blocks (KW and Huelsman). He destroyed the single season blocks per game mark held by Erv Giddings, 1.70 to 1.55.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:10 PM

You don't understand the difference between the 6'8" (not 6'9") 210 pound XW and a stud center?? As a freshman Steve was 6'11, 268 and was MOBILE.

You don't understand the difference between 6'9" 238 pound Sam Miller and a stud center?? Really??

Sam has 11 blocks so far this year, XW has 25 blocks while averaging 22 minutes per game.

Meanwhile, Steve finished his freshman year with 55 blocks in 18 minutes per game. He holds the single game record for blocked shots (6), holds the single season record for blocks, and had he not died he would already. . . through 20 games as a sophomore . . . rank in the top 10 all-time shot blockers at UD. #9 on that list is 70 career blocks (KW and Huelsman). He destroyed the single season blocks per game mark held by Erv Giddings, 1.70 to 1.55.
Try to stay on topic. The discussion was as to why we are not a Top 25 team. I maintain that the loss of Steve and Josh have taken us below that because the three sophomores are not players at a Top 25 level. Another poster said those three are outstanding. I disagreed. Those three are nice players, but not outstanding, or we would be a much better team, and ranked?

It amazes me that we always want to get to the next level, and Top 10 ratings and a Final Four, and yet we think most of our players are at that level. The six frosh-jr's are not at that level.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 PM
General

Try to stay on topic. The discussion was as to why we are not a Top 25 team. I maintain that the loss of Steve and Josh have taken us below that because the three sophomores are not players at a Top 25 level. Another poster said those three are outstanding. I disagreed. Those three are nice players, but not outstanding, or we would be a much better team, and ranked?

It amazes me that we always want to get to the next level, and Top 10 ratings and a Final Four, and yet we think most of our players are at that level. The six frosh-jr's are not at that level.
Here's how the conversation happened:

1. You said the seniors (which are guards) are playing at a top 25 level, and asked "so why are we not in the top 25?"

2. I said the guards are playing really well, but, we don't have a dominant center, we have guys that are too small playing center. I referenced having a center who is 6'6", and though it should go without saying, that's our starting center, Kendall Pollard. You'll find him in your program as #25.

3. You said "I don't understand, X is 6'9" (sic), Sam is 6'9", and Mikesell is 6'7"." Note that you said this in response to the statement that we lack a dominant center (by quoting me). Yes, we have other players on our roster who are taller than 6'6" but they are:

a) not playing starter minutes, and
b) not a dominant center, and
c) not a center at all

Therefore, staying on topic, the lack of a dominant center makes the great guards we have look more pedestrian. XW and Mikesell look really good as small forwards and power forwards, but, they're playing center half the time. If we had the dominant center we expected to have, or even Cunningham as a stand-in for that, I think we're a top 25 team.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 PM

Townie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud of
We are talking about right now. "The sophomores" refer to Sam, X and Mikesell.
You said that you hope that Josh is back so we don't have to play so many sophomores. I don't understand how having one more sophomore (Josh) available reduces the number of sophomores.
Mad Props to Townie For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-08-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Townie View Post
You said that you hope that Josh is back so we don't have to play so many sophomores. I don't understand how having one more sophomore (Josh) available reduces the number of sophomores.
That was answered way up in post #64.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM

Here's how the conversation happened:

1. You said the seniors (which are guards) are playing at a top 25 level, and asked "so why are we not in the top 25?"

2. I said the guards are playing really well, but, we don't have a dominant center, we have guys that are too small playing center. I referenced having a center who is 6'6", and though it should go without saying, that's our starting center, Kendall Pollard. You'll find him in your program as #25.

3. You said "I don't understand, X is 6'9" (sic), Sam is 6'9", and Mikesell is 6'7"." Note that you said this in response to the statement that we lack a dominant center (by quoting me). Yes, we have other players on our roster who are taller than 6'6" but they are:

a) not playing starter minutes, and
b) not a dominant center, and
c) not a center at all

Therefore, staying on topic, the lack of a dominant center makes the great guards we have look more pedestrian. XW and Mikesell look really good as small forwards and power forwards, but, they're playing center half the time. If we had the dominant center we expected to have, or even Cunningham as a stand-in for that, I think we're a top 25 team.
You wore me out. You are correct. I am not reading what you wrote. Time to get excited about the game tomorrow night and Josh coming back on Friday.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Captain

You wore me out. You are correct. I am not reading what you wrote. Time to get excited about the game tomorrow night and Josh coming back on Friday.
Isn't Cunningham 6'6??
Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Two points:
X, RM and Miller saved
our season stepping
up when KP & JC
we're both down.
Second....it matters not
who starts - but
finishes.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 AM
General

That's what they say when people recognize they are embarrassed for calling someone out incorrectly.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:33 AM
General

I promised to bookmark this and revisit it. To be fair, we're not a top 25 team yet. But, I do think that Mikesell is what a top 25 team needs on the floor. But we'll see next year how it plays out with the additions to the roster.

Not much difference in X or Mikesell in what they bring to the table. And who cares who starts, that is only for fans to debate. The bottom line is that neither one of these guys is what a Top 25 team needs to put on the floor. That is Steve's and Josh's position, and either one of those guys are not getting it done at a level that makes us competitive at a top level. It is what it is, and just like with Crosby, we can moan all we want, but there is no great solution that gets us over the hump.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-12-2019), Flyer 86 (03-12-2019), rollo (03-12-2019), SLUFLYER (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
I promised to bookmark this and revisit it. To be fair, we're not a top 25 team yet. But, I do think that Mikesell is what a top 25 team needs on the floor. But we'll see next year how it plays out with the additions to the roster.
Love it when we dust off the old posts/threads.

The one player I have been somewhat skeptical of this year, understanding he's still a freshman, is Cohill. I'm struggling to see it with him. He commits a lot of turnovers, several of the momentum swinging type, looks uncomfortable and lost on offense 80+ percent of the time. He's supposedly a "lock down defender", and then falls asleep on the biggest possession (final VCU possession) of the season.

Gazoo, please bookmark this post and I hope you can come back in two years to point out where I was wrong with Cohill. I'm not going to be as black and white as the above suggested about Mikesell's development, but I will go on record saying I have my doubts re: Cohill.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
No idea if Cohill becomes a stud or even a starter but that last possession was not entirely on him. First off, every defender can/does get beat and you can't guard the VCU defender tight for fear of contact as you're going to get called for a foul which is what you don't want, especially a freshman going against an all A10 player.. You want to force him to his left side which he did.

Secondly, he's only going against a 22 year old, 3 year starter who's averaged almost 20 ppg for 2 years and is also going to be a 1st team A10 player and maybe even the POTY.

Third, where's all the help D? UD had zero rim protectors there and Obi was a spectator and never even got over there if you re-watch the video.Evans was NOT giving that ball up so the defenders should have provided help D.
Evans had way too good of a look there.

Last edited by steve; 03-12-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Cohill made one bad defensive play against VCU. VCU and Davidson drove the ball down the throat of Crutcher and Davis time and time again. Cohill is the team's best guard defender right now.

Yes, has a LOT of work to do on offense, but he has show signs of brilliance at times.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 03-12-2019 at 01:51 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (03-12-2019), Jeff (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
No idea if Cohill becomes a stud or even a starter but that last possession was not entirely on him. First off, every defender can/does get beat and you can't guard the VCU defender tight for fear of contact as you're going to get called for a foul which is what you don't want, especially a freshman going against an all A10 player.. You want to force him to his left side which he did.

Secondly, he's only going against a 22 year old, 3 year starter who's averaged almost 20 ppg for 2 years and is also going to be a 1st team A10 player and maybe even the POTY.

Third, where's all the help D? UD had zero rim protectors there and Obi was a spectator and never even got over there if you re-watch the video.Evans was NOT giving that ball up so the defenders should have provided help D.
Evans had way too good of a look there.
I can agree with all of this. It's fair and reasonable. I'm not picking on him for THAT one play, but the fact remains that on the most pivotal possession of the season (to date), the breakdown started with him.

As stated above, his defense is not a problem. It was just disappointing that the ONE thing we thought we could count on him for bit us at the most critical time.

Here's my observations/feelings re: Cohill, in a nutshell - he makes a tremendous hustle play on one end of the court, then travel, get his pocket picked or dribble it off of his leg the next possession. And the timing of these lapses seem to be momentum swinging.

I hope I see the development in Cohill that I'm leary of.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:01 AM

How about revisiting this one, which is what we were talking about, instead of your post out of context for two seasons ago. Your revisit is almost two years late.

Last edited by jack72; 03-12-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
I can agree with all of this. It's fair and reasonable. I'm not picking on him for THAT one play, but the fact remains that on the most pivotal possession of the season (to date), the breakdown started with him.

As stated above, his defense is not a problem. It was just disappointing that the ONE thing we thought we could count on him for bit us at the most critical time.

Here's my observations/feelings re: Cohill, in a nutshell - he makes a tremendous hustle play on one end of the court, then travel, get his pocket picked or dribble it off of his leg the next possession. And the timing of these lapses seem to be momentum swinging.

I know where you're coming from but we wouldn't have a player on this team if we counted all their miscues, transgressions, etc. Yes, there are others that counter-balance their inefficiencies with production in other areas but they sure weren't always doing that and a few of them even in their 3rd/4th years.

I, as well, am somewhat disappointed in the overall production of Cohill especially based on his lofty HS status and other offers but I've seen a change in this team more for the better with some of the energy he's brought with him and his ability to get to the hoop. I also easily recognize the required step forward to even play in the A10 and how a mistake here/there can easily derail one's confidence. A big part will be his maturity level going forward as he can cross-dribble easily against HS players but not in college..
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of

Sounds like a freshman to me. More playing time... more maturity... more confidence. I expect he'll be an important piece of the team by his JR year.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bill202 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (03-12-2019), GoFlyer (03-12-2019), SLUFLYER (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Captain

Clear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud of
Does anyone remember when there was a freshman team? Freshmen couldn't play varsity.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill202 View Post
Sounds like a freshman to me. More playing time... more maturity... more confidence. I expect he'll be an important piece of the team by his JR year.
Heck, I’m expecting improvement by next year. All-Conference? Probably not (unless it’s the All-Defensive team), but consider this: if you only had Trey Landers’ performance as a freshman as your point of reference, would you have expected the solid contributions we’ve seen from him over the past 2 seasons?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Clear Prop View Post
Does anyone remember when there was a freshman team? Freshmen couldn't play varsity.
oh absolutely!! I remember the UD Arena filling up two hours early to see this freshman guard, who wore a rubber band on his hand.... ohhh man, unbelievable does not do justice to the talent we could easily see in this freshman, Donald Smith.... yes I remember!!

I always pleaded with Dad to take us two hours early... the first time, he said: you're nuts!

then he saw Smitty for himself... after the very first time seeing him, he turned to me in the middle of the game and whispered to me: I get it!! lol....)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
dirty deli (03-12-2019), SeasonTicketFan (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 05:16 PM
General

I am talking about right now. I hope both turn out to be stud players, but that is a guess. Right now we have 4 excellent players and a bunch of average guys. We want to take it to the next level, but you do not do it with guys who are average. Hopefully, Josh makes it 5 very soon.

How about revisiting this one, which is what we were talking about, instead of your post out of context for two seasons ago. Your revisit is almost two years late.

You forgot the rest of the quotes. An accident, I'm sure. I helped you, see above.

But, as you said, "guys like Mikesell" are not who you need to put on the floor to be a top 25 team. So let's see if that's true next year. I think a guy like Mikesell is a great asset to a top 25 team.

"But as juniors and seniors I think they'll be really good, solid contributors to a top-25 caliber team."
Old 03-12-2019, 06:00 PM

So you are still trying to talk about 2019 and 2020, when my comments were about 2017. But if it floats your boat, go for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I think this thread highlights the injuries that are never disclosed. Ryan's mobility looks so much better than his first two years.

There have been numerous injuries and illnesses during the years that were not disclosed to opponents or the public. Kendall played a game with a broken hand and shot a very low percentage.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:15 PM
General

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Cohill made one bad defensive play against VCU. VCU and Davidson drove the ball down the throat of Crutcher and Davis time and time again. Cohill is the team's best guard defender right now.

Yes, has a LOT of work to do on offense, but he has show signs of brilliance at times.
Bingo. He has shown flashes. Wasn’t asked to score like Crutcher or Davis last year. Don’t be surprised if he pops for 10 ppg next year.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:18 PM
General

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I think this thread highlights the injuries that are never disclosed. Ryan's mobility looks so much better than his first two years.

There have been numerous injuries and illnesses during the years that were not disclosed to opponents or the public. Kendall played a game with a broken hand and shot a very low percentage.
Agree. However, he looks like he TRUSTS his body much more in the 2nd half of the season vs. the 1st half. Physical recovery for athletes is only part of the equation.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 AM
General

Gazoo, please bookmark this post and I hope you can come back in two years to point out where I was wrong with Cohill. I'm not going to be as black and white as the above suggested about Mikesell's development, but I will go on record saying I have my doubts re: Cohill.

Nah, that's no fun because you're not speaking in absolutes. There's a big difference between "I think" and "if you can't see that you don't know basketball".
Old 03-14-2019, 01:25 AM
Captain

Someone slap me on the hand and tell me NO!!!!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

The one player I have been somewhat skeptical of this year, understanding he's still a freshman, is Cohill. I'm struggling to see it with him. He commits a lot of turnovers, several of the momentum swinging type, looks uncomfortable and lost on offense 80+ percent of the time. He's supposedly a "lock down defender", and then falls asleep on the biggest possession (final VCU possession) of the season.

Do you also think obi will be here for 4 years before going to Europe to play?
Old 01-08-2020, 07:24 AM
General

So, there's that. Jack was right. It's what a top 15 team needs, not a top 25 team.

Turns out Mikesell IS EXACTLY what a top 15 team needs to put on the floor.

XW could have contributed too but chose to be really selfish, the opposite of Mikesell.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:00 AM
General of the Air Force

It is much better reading these posts when someone calls out a post that was wrong because the player/coach turned out better than anticipated than the opposite.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MrFlyerFanatic (01-08-2020), SLUFLYER (01-08-2020), SoTier Flyer (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:22 AM
Brigadier General

GAZOO - I have a short term memory at this stage in my life, so I couldn't recall what this thread was debating but it appears a myriad of topics/points.

LOVE that Mikesell is delivering on some/all of what his supporters were posting.

There was a lot of chatter in here about Cohill too. What are your thoughts, or others, on Cohill 10 months later?

Also, you're good at bookmarking.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-08-2020)