Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Field of 64 View Post
I'm a UD grad/fan living in Richmond--and VCU STH. The VCU AD (who I don't particularly like) hit a grand slam with the Rhoades hire. He is literally beloved here--and probably should have been the one hired two years ago when Smart left. 3 year assistant under a legendary DIII coach at Randolph-Macon (10 miles north of Richmond), 10 years as head coach at Randolph-Macon, and 5 years as VCU assistant (Smart's top assistant towards the end) before leaving for Rice.

A total opposite of Wade in so many ways--Rhoades is very approachable, loves Richmond, still loves to play the game (he was DIII player of the year while in college), and is a big supporter of his players. He once had teeth knocked out while participating in a VCU practice drill--and kept playing.

He'll likely bring back Joey Rodriguez (PG from the FF team) as an assistant--and my guess is he'll be able to keep most/all of the four recruits.

I've never quite seen anything like this before in the coaching carousel--in under 18 hours, VCU got blindsided and turned it into a coaching upgrade.
Why didn't Rhoades get the job after Smart left?

Tags
2017, carousel, coaching, figstats