Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:55 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I agree w/ Sea Bass. I'm just a fan and former graduate. I don't donate to the school or basketball program anywhere near the kind of money that it would take to have some sort of actual influence (either real or perceived) so like 99% of the people on this board, I'm just along for the line. It humor's me how worked up some people get that this is the right choice or wrong choice, how the blank does any body truly know at this point. You may like the hire, you may have your hesitations, but to be 100% in the for or against camp is just silly after less than 30 days. Its not CAG's fault that Archie up and left, and by the sounds of things, its not really the administration's fault either as they tried to pay him more than he reasonably deserved.

Spring has sprung, summer is around the corner. I don't know about everyone else, but I've got soccer games and baseball games to attend, swim meets around the corner and football practice starting before I'll even realize it. I've got work demands, wife demands, friend and family demands. I love UD basketball, but mid April is not the time of the year I'm going to get exactly worked up about it when at no point in the year do I have any sort of influence in the outcome of any particular game.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dogdaddy (04-24-2017), Fairways & Greens (04-25-2017), Flyer14 (04-24-2017), LI Flyer (04-24-2017), mikeymo85 (04-25-2017), shwag33 (04-24-2017), UDGutter2 (04-24-2017)
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2017, 03:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I agree w/ Sea Bass. I'm just a fan and former graduate. I don't donate to the school or basketball program anywhere near the kind of money that it would take to have some sort of actual influence (either real or perceived) so like 99% of the people on this board, I'm just along for the line. It humor's me how worked up some people get that this is the right choice or wrong choice, how the blank does any body truly know at this point. You may like the hire, you may have your hesitations, but to be 100% in the for or against camp is just silly after less than 30 days. Its not CAG's fault that Archie up and left, and by the sounds of things, its not really the administration's fault either as they tried to pay him more than he reasonably deserved.

Spring has sprung, summer is around the corner. I don't know about everyone else, but I've got soccer games and baseball games to attend, swim meets around the corner and football practice starting before I'll even realize it. I've got work demands, wife demands, friend and family demands. I love UD basketball, but mid April is not the time of the year I'm going to get exactly worked up about it when at no point in the year do I have any sort of influence in the outcome of any particular game.
Oh sure, you have a life. What are the rest of us supposed to do?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
By way of comparison, Archie was 0 for two.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Some people got so carried away with Ryan Miller. IMO 2013-14 made him, and there was a lot of luck involved. First game of the season was quite possibly the luckiest win in decades for the Flyers. By any reasonable standard Ft. Wayne should have won that game, and if they had, UD does not dance that year, there is no victory over OSU, no Elite 8, nothing but another NIT invite, maybe. Snd then in the tournament Craft makes that shot 70% of the time, and the Syracuse kid was known for making game winning threes. And how much did the Elite 8 run play into Dayton's invite in 2015? I'm not saying Miller is a bad coach, just that he had luck on his side, and quite honestly, he was a traveling call on KD's rollover pass to JS from still being our coach and having meh results. I'm not happy nor sad he's gone, more upset with the how, and anxious to see Grant's team play.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (04-25-2017), JimBo (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We have had our bad luck as well. You need good luck to win against good competition. It's not something you expect, but most Champions have unexpected good luck on the way up.

The more you prepare and practice, the luckier you get.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-24-2017), SeasonTicketFan (04-24-2017), Smitty10 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Thee are few examples like McDermott. Who else can you cite?
In two seconds - Alford. If I cared to look there could well be more.

I would suggest you aren't paying close enough attention to Butler or Xavier's schemes if you don't think there have been changes in how they play. Being in the program and knowing how athletics, the school and the moneyed fans work together is an advantage for an assistant.

I have no objections to hiring an assistant, if one is the right choice. The fact that none of the UD staff had ever been close to getting a significant head coaching job is a big factor in my mind. Maybe if they were young in their career or Archie had only been at UD four years, it might be different. But that's not the case. Maybe none of them ever will get a significant HC job.

This is turning into the 15/15 thread where everyone just says the same thing over and over again. We get it, you would have preferred an assistant to be hired. Many others like Grant over any of the assistants. And most of us recognize we will never be close enough to the situation to know why the choice was made, but that each have about an equal chance of working or failing. And of course those on the camp of either choice are going to say I told you so if it works out the way they thought, without having any idea how the other direction would have worked.

Last edited by UDDoug; 04-24-2017 at 05:49 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (04-24-2017), m21eagle45 (04-24-2017), UDBrian (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=udscott;504884]R u serious ? He kept two 2* recruits ?? And lost his three highest rated recruits, as far as coaches, all he did was hire his friends he has worked with, that takes three phone calls
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

Were you this upset when AM lost 100% of the incoming class? If not, why? If so how did that work out?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
It was not unheard of for freshmen to be significant contributors under Archie.

Pierre 9 and 5 fr. year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...-pierre-1.html

Big Steve 6 and 6 and 2 bpg fr. year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...celvene-1.html

Robinson 6 and 5 fr. year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...binson--1.html
One guy each year. Not multiple guys. Cunningham and Williams could be good pieces. Filling the other 5 roles would be tougher.

Again, we'll never know. I doubt UD would have been in the NCAAT with an at-large bid.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
This is where the divide on this board is going to come out. There is a group that is fine with UD making the NCAA tournament just every 2 or 3 years as long as the coach/players are good citizens and representatives of the university. The other group believes that UD should be in the NCAA tournament every year no matter what. This difference in expectation will lead to a lot of red pips!!!!!

My expectation is that UD should be in the NCAA tournament every single year no matter what circumstances are involved.

I'm firmly in the third group - you know, the evidence-based group.

Canonball (04-24-2017), Tony T 71 (04-24-2017), UDGutter2 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
In two seconds - Alford. If I cared to look there could well be more.

I would suggest you aren't paying close enough attention to Butler or Xavier's schemes if you don't think there have been changes in how they play. Being in the program and knowing how athletics, the school and the moneyed fans work together is an advantage for an assistant.

I have no objections to hiring an assistant, if one is the right choice. The fact that none of the UD staff had ever been close to getting a significant head coaching job is a big factor in my mind. Maybe if they were young in their career or Archie had only been at UD four years, it might be different. But that's not the case. Maybe none of them ever will get a significant HC job.

This is turning into the 15/15 thread where everyone just says the same thing over and over again. We get it, you would have preferred an assistant to be hired. Many others like Grant over any of the assistants. And most of us recognize we will never be close enough to the situation to know why the choice was made, but that each have about an equal chance of working or failing. And of course those on the camp of either choice are going to say I told you so if it works out the way they thought, without having any idea how the other direction would have worked.
Again, I do not like the Alford at Iowa example...he was not that bad at Iowa: 8 years, 3 NCAAT(1-1, 0-1, and 0-1), and 3 NIT. Not great, but not bad.

Please give me one more McDermott-type example.

And what difference would it have made if Archie had only stayed 4 years, or if the assistants were younger?

And again, Archie had never been close to getting a hc job before he was at UD.

Again, agree to disagree over Butler and Xavier.

I will acknowledge that I have seen some small changes through the years with them going from Matta to Holtmann at Butler and from Matta to Mack at Xavier. But those changes have been smaller/more minor/more incremental, whereas it seems like every time UD changes head coaches, the change is of the very significant/major variety.

When I have watched the Butler and X teams play through the years, under different head coaches, I do not see a very noticeable/stark difference between the coaches.

Whereas, when I have watched UD through the years, the change in style of play between each head coach is very noticeable.

For example, the difference between Archie's offense and BG's offense is plain as day.

Donoher to JOB = Major/significant change

JOB to OP = Major/significant change

OP to BG = Major/significant change

BG to AM = Major/significant change

AM to AG = Major/significant change
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 AM

Again, I do not like the Alford at Iowa example...he was not that bad at Iowa: 8 years, 3 NCAAT(1-1, 0-1, and 0-1), and 3 NIT. Not great, but not bad.
You don't like it because it doesn't fit your narrative. Did he not get forced out, and go to New Mexico?

If you don't think hiring a P5 coach who got fired will work, why don't you go find all the ones who failed and who had prior success at a step down.

By the way, you don't have all that many examples where an assistant was promoted either. Miller and Mack at Xavier. Butler did not go straight from Stevens to Holtzman, and Holtzman never coached under Stevens IIRC. Their record was a tad up and down prior to Stevens as they transitioned between Collier, Lickliter, etc. The first move from Stevens didn't work out so well under somewhat curious circumstances. So go look up all the schools who had success and promoted an assistant when their coach moved to a bigger gig, including the NBA, (including P5) and struggled. You might be surprised - you can start with UNC.

Tom O is not exactly Archie's age when he was hired. He had significant assistant experience at multiple stops. That's a much different situation.

Style of play is about the least significant issue in continuity given the way rosters turn over. Roy Williams has changed his style of play over the years, so has Coach K. Duke doesn't run the same offense with Allan and Kennard as they did with Battier and Laettner. Butler plays at a far faster pace under Holtzman than they did under Stevens. They seldom run the clock down, and they run a much different defense (probably less defense) in pursuit of pace of play.

My last post so this doesn't turn into an ad nauseum 15/15 thread. Everyone understands your point. You don't have to post it 50 times a week.

Last edited by UDDoug; 04-25-2017 at 10:37 AM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairborn Fan (04-25-2017), m21eagle45 (04-25-2017), Radar (04-26-2017), San Diego Flyer (04-25-2017), The Fly (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
What is 15/15?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
That's where Pasternack would have been nice, style of play & culture probably would have continued
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
What is 15/15?
Believe that refers to ud2's love for the balanced schedule of 15 home games and 15 away games.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Believe that refers to ud2's love for the balanced schedule of 15 home games and 15 away games.
Yes, on which he's probably posted 500 times.
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Let's assume that Simmons can somehow replace Scoochie. Although two good years for a middle of the road Mid Am team, would not say he is another Scoochie. Who plays center next year? We will miss Pollard. We will miss Kyle. We will miss our leading scorer and rebounder, Cooke. That is some mighty modern math that allows us to get to the NCAA next year.
April, 2008:
"How will we recover from losing one of the greatest ever, Brian Roberts? Who's going to play PG--London Warren?!?! Who's going to play center - Huelsman is horrible and Searcy only played 7 minutes per game. We're graduating 41% of our total minutes played. That's some mighty modern math that allows us to get to the NCAA next year."

2008-2009 result: 27-8, 11-5, won first round game.

It might happen.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChampCar (04-25-2017), LI Flyer (04-25-2017), m21eagle45 (04-25-2017), MNFats (04-25-2017), rollo (04-25-2017), San Diego Flyer (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
This is an interesting thread to say the least. Here's just some things to consider:
- The cupboard wasn't bear when Arch took over. Without Kavs and Oliver we're not going dancing and we're no where near the E8.
- Arch was 32 years old when he was hired. It wasn't like he was going to go out a get experienced coaches to be his assistants.
- More importantly Arch had an unpaid assistant in his dad. From what I've read he they talked a bunch.
- Arch quickly realized chasing 4 star recruits wasn't going to work. You spend a bunch of resources going after guys like Kenard only to get burnt at the 11th hr. You're far better off finding guys like Scooh that were going to work their buts off for four years.
- Arch dealt with a lot of adversity more than most coaches face IMO. Major issues with Pierre, Kavs, Scott, & Robinson, Injuries to key players like Pollard, JC, And the death of a great teammate in Big Steve. Only the great ones get through that kind of adversity and year after year.
- We can't blame AG for a bare cupboard or not keeping every AM recruit. It just doesn't work that way. If Staten was Chris Wright we' would have destroyed AM for not retaining him even with what he accomplished..
- BG was a great recruiter that elevated our progrm but didn't have the game management or player development ability of AM.
- AM is going to quickly learn that life in IU won't be easy. He WILL be given every possible resource to bring that program back. He'll win the entire program over with his passion and work ethic. It's contagious hence the reason we're still talking about at this poiint. We know we lost something great.
- AG is coming back to college b-ball. The experience of being around a Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant is something that will translate to recruits and his players.
- There wasn't a better candidate than AG. If he's not the top coach right now in the A10 then I'm missing something. Who's better?
- Regardless of who's coaching without an experienced PG the Flyers will struggle this season. Think back to how SS looked as a freshman.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (04-26-2017), HotSauce (05-06-2017), Radar (04-26-2017), TMPH66 (04-26-2017), wes (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:28 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
If he's not the top coach right now in the A10 then I'm missing something. Who's better?
Bob McKillop
Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Crickets
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 AM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
It takes longer to register your car and get license plates than the time Anthony Grant has been head coach at Dayton. Maybe we should just go outside and shoot ourselves.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
DaytonInsider (04-28-2017), GoFlyer (04-28-2017), JimBo (04-28-2017), jpk4ud (04-28-2017), Sitdowndigger (04-28-2017), The Fly (04-28-2017), UD90 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
It takes longer to register your car and get license plates than the time Anthony Grant has been head coach at Dayton. Maybe we should just go outside and shoot ourselves.
everyday we hear about a signing here and there, we had one official visit and he could not close the door why he was here like Archie did, I don't understand why we are giving a guy all this praise that had one great year at VCU and 4 average years at Alabama, we praise him on here like he is Mike K or Geno A
Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Anthony has been too busy lowering his golf handicap 3 strokes, finding the best happy hour specials in the Dayton area, mowing Rollos yard and crocheting speedos for the homeless. Hopefully he can find time soon to do a bit of recruiting.

Relax people, the lack of patience in this world anymore amazes me. Very few if anyone on this board knows exactly what has been going on behind closed doors, who has been on campus, and what the plan is moving forward. Would you all be happier if AG hired a press secretary to give a morning update on all the happenings in our world? Yea, dumb question, I know the answer many of you want
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (05-01-2017), GoFlyer (04-28-2017), LI Flyer (04-28-2017), rollo (04-28-2017), SeasonTicketFan (04-28-2017), Sid Louick (04-28-2017), TMPH66 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I was with you until the yard mowing part. Then I could not read any further.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Anthony has been too busy mowing Rollos yard
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I was with you until the yard mowing part. Then I could not read any further.
Sir Clayton was obviously joking as everyone knows I mow...err, I mean manicure my own yard...errrr, I mean palatial terrace.

Mowing is for immigrants. Yards are for peasants.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
I don't understand why we are giving a guy all this praise that had one great year at VCU and 4 average years at Alabama, we praise him on here like he is Mike K or Geno A
Are your math skills that shoddy? He won 76 games at VCU in three years. No, he didn't make the tourney all three years from what was a one-bid league, but you won't find even the most diehard of VCU fans complaining that he had only one great year. In fact, they love the guy. And his recruiting there was stellar. Why don't you give Grant at least a couple of months before you anoint him a loser? Geez ...

Last edited by The Fly; 04-28-2017 at 09:24 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (04-28-2017), GoFlyer (04-28-2017), San Diego Flyer (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
everyday we hear about a signing here and there, we had one official visit and he could not close the door why he was here like Archie did, I don't understand why we are giving a guy all this praise that had one great year at VCU and 4 average years at Alabama, we praise him on here like he is Mike K or Geno A
And all you do is degrade everyone which is why you are one of the leaders in red pips.

Not a positive bone in your body about anyone but yourself.

BTW you make John R look like a saint. He was banned for making a mistake but since then Chris seems to let other worse posters remain.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 04-28-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
LI Flyer (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Anthony has been too busy lowering his golf handicap 3 strokes, finding the best happy hour specials in the Dayton area, mowing Rollos yard and crocheting speedos for the homeless. Hopefully he can find time soon to do a bit of recruiting.
Finally we get some real news about what is going on. No need for anymore speculation. Thank you.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
we praise him on here like he is Mike K or Geno A
#hottake
Old 04-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
And all you do is degrade everyone which is why you are one of the leaders in red pips.

Not a positive bone in your body about anyone but yourself.

BTW you make John R look like a saint. He was banned for making a mistake but since then Chris seems to let other worse posters remain.
I'm entitled to my opinion just like you, I think it was a bad hire, we will see in 2-3 years
Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Apart from some particular negativity, I think many of us are apprehensive for the following reasons

1: We have NO point guards on the team
2. We have NO point guards on the team
3. We have NO point guards on the team

If you think some are negative right now, wait and see what things look like if we have PGs worse than Crosby, and that guy couldn't catch much of a break on this forum. Why would we have worse? Well, how much talent is still out there and what talent is out there is being picked up pretty quickly. If we at least had a decent PG but no backup, well, things might not seem ideal but we'd find a way to get a serviceable backup. But we have neither backup nor starter, and really don't hear Dayton being mentioned much with many people, and I don't mean on this board. Every day on Twitter, you see all the tweets about guys hearing from schools, being offered 2018, 2019, even 2020. We don't really hear UD being mentioned much with anyone, and that's leading to a lot of speculation that not much is going on. I'm sure that isn't true, but man, it's awful hard to be really positive right now given our roster deficiencies. Get us a decent PG and I'll feel a whole lot better about next year than I do right now, because I think we have some really good pieces for next year and will be better than we think so long as we have someone who can direct the offense.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (05-01-2017), FLYER5 (04-28-2017), UDBrian (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:22 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not yet. Don't leave the site.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,748 Times in 790 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The unrationally negative won't be happy even if we get 2 PGs by week's end. The negative focus of their authoritative opinions will just change to a player they've never seen play because he doesn't have enough stars next to his name all because of an unfounded opinion about our new coach and extremely unrealistic expectations about cleaning up the mess that he inherited.

Anytime a school like UD has in effect 6 new players in a class, that is an issue by itself - that's on the shoulders of the previous coach. Expecting any coach that could have been hired to retain all of those kids or replace in a few weeks what took months and years to develop is beyond unrealistic.

I like the hire but realize there is valid reason for concern but none of that will be able to be confirmed or refuted for at least a year or two more likely. Forming definitive opinions before that speak only about who you are not who AG is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Marysville Flyer; 04-28-2017 at 11:38 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (04-28-2017), GoFlyer (04-28-2017), IndianaFlyer (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Has anyone told Anthony Grant about this?
I wonder if he is aware of the situation?
If so, maybe he should panic.

Recruiting is often years of relationships, not a few days. Unfortunately, UD still does not have the brand that keeps players more loyal to the school. Anthony was hired and showed up behind the 8 ball day 1. He has to try to overcome all those universities that had a head start on him.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Has anyone told Anthony Grant about this?
I wonder if he is aware of the situation?
If so, maybe he should panic.

Recruiting is often years of relationships, not a few days. Unfortunately, UD still does not have the brand that keeps players more loyal to the school. Anthony was hired and showed up behind the 8 ball day 1. He has to try to overcome all those universities that had a head start on him.
That is exactly the type of response that feeds the fire of those that are extremely negative. They will point out that because of things like this, Grant was the wrong hire. I'm not saying he was. No way to tell at this point.

Pretty sure that Grant isn't in panic mode like the rest of us, but we're fans, and we want out team to win. Grant isn't responsible for the roster imbalance, but nonetheless, whatever hand he's dealt he needs to find a way to fix it.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:03 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure that Grant isn't in panic mode like the rest of us,
Speak for yourself...as most of us, I'm Royally sure, aren't.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Speak for yourself...as most of us, I'm Royally sure, aren't.
Panic might be the wrong word, although it wasn't my original word, but I also believe there is a fair amount of concern. You can't read through all the topics without seeing it.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Crickets
Posted via Mobile Device
Did we honestly hear that much when Archie was recruiting guys? Most of the time it seemed like a player would commit and everyone was scrambling to figure out who it was. The lack of info in that regard does not concern me.

everyday we hear about a signing here and there, we had one official visit
This is what I think is causing everyone the most concern. Other schools(even ones with new coaches too) are getting players to commit and sign while UD has no point guards. My thought is that CAG is trying to find guys who he thinks can play at the level he wants, but to get that he is having to play the waiting game because those higher level guys are valued by a lot of schools at this point. Also the available players are trying to wait out all these players who declared for the draft but didn't hire an agent. Coaches at those schools are telling recruits that we'll have a spot and big role for you if so and so decides to stay in the draft. The worst part is that the last day to withdraw from the draft is June 12th. The NLI signing period ends on May 17th but a player doesn't have to sign to actually come to school.

So basically it's going to a long few weeks while CAG and the available players play a game of chicken. At some point I would think he would have to get at least one warm body who can play point guard, but we will see.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:48 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think AG is going to bring some good guys in here shortly during this off-season, I am not worried about that. His recruiting ability is not what has me concerned.

But, I will be giving him a fairly long leash, that is only fair.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:03 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm entitled to my opinion just like you, I think it was a bad hire, we will see in 2-3 years
Then save your criticism for at least a few months.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairborn Fan (04-28-2017), skip69 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think AG is going to bring some good guys in here shortly during this off-season, I am not worried about that. His recruiting ability is not what has me concerned.

But, I will be giving him a fairly long leash, that is only fair.
What have you done with UD2? Just kidding, good post. We knew you would come around.
Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 02:12 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
What have you done with UD2? Just kidding, good post. We knew you would come around.
Maybe he has been hacked.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Apart from some particular negativity, I think many of us are apprehensive for the following reasons

3. We have NO point guards on the team.
That pretty much sums it up. Right now DD is the starting point guard and Kostas might be the starting point forward. I'm sure anyone is concerned whether they think Anthony was a good hire or not.

Long time to go before practice starts and plenty of stones to turn over. Who knows, we might be starting a european point guard next year. Just throwing that out, I haven't heard anything in that regard
Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 PM
General

If you follow basketball outside of the world of Dayton then what's going on right now is disturbing.
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-28-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:05 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Facts don't lie, he is 0-3 with our top 3 recruits, that's it in 30 days, horrible choice for head coach and people on here love it unreal Posted via Mobile Device
With the signing of Svoboda this post is even more ridiculous than it was before.
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-01-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (05-01-2017), CvilleFlyer (05-01-2017), funeralplanner (05-01-2017), Gazoo (05-01-2017), jpk4ud (05-01-2017), LIBob (05-01-2017), m21eagle45 (05-01-2017), San Diego Flyer (05-01-2017), Swampy Meadows (05-01-2017), UDGutter2 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,914 Times in 2,926 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
With the signing of Svoboda this post is even more ridiculous than it was before.
This.

3 for 4, with Nahziah Carter still TBD and hitting the recruiting trail hard to find a PG or two.

I'd say AG is doing OK.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
88flyer (05-01-2017), BeckysTXA (05-01-2017), CvilleFlyer (05-01-2017), Gazoo (05-01-2017), m21eagle45 (05-01-2017), San Diego Flyer (05-01-2017), TMPH66 (05-01-2017), UD90 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:37 PM

Since we need two PGs, I don't see a position for Carter. Man, we have a lot of forwards on the team.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Facts don't lie, he is 0-3 with our top 3 recruits, that's it in 30 days, horrible choice for head coach and people on here love it unreal
Posted via Mobile Device

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jpk4ud For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (05-01-2017), m21eagle45 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

LI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant future
UD Scott Where are you??????????
Old 05-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LI Flyer View Post
Nice job Coach Grant! Now we just need a PG. And a backup PG. And maybe a transfer. Then we're good to go!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by THirt; 05-01-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
If you follow basketball outside of the world of Dayton then what's going on right now is disturbing.
Coaches are contacting players and getting transfers along with recruits to commit. That's whats going on outside and at Dayton. Not everything works on our schedule. Kids have their own time clock. Funny how someone said last week AG had only had one kid make a visit! I know of three that have been on campus....just because the paper doesn't get the names doesn't mean it isn't happing

Last edited by jpk4ud; 05-01-2017 at 01:25 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jpk4ud For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (05-01-2017), Widget (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking PG positon is overrated

Forget traditional play.
I say we go big 1 -5. Throw over the top on offense and go zone on defense.
Dribbling is boring.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:31 PM
General

Clearly work to be done, and the lack of a PG on the team could sink the whole season. But I have to think that an (at least) average PG looking to transfer is going to look at this situation and think "did this really just fall into my lap??"
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (05-01-2017), TA111 (05-01-2017), UD90 (05-01-2017), Wallage (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Forget traditional play.
I say we go big 1 -5. Throw over the top on offense and go zone on defense.
Dribbling is boring.
If we can get the NCAA to bring back jump balls after each made basket we'll really be sitting pretty.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:19 PM

Since we need two PGs, I don't see a position for Carter. Man, we have a lot of forwards on the team.
We played the last 3 years with a 6 foot tall forward sporting a huge heart. I'd be thrilled if several of our forward recruits turned out to be the second coming of Kyle Davis.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (05-03-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by LI Flyer View Post
I'm here, so he pulled a rabbit out of his hat, I'll give him credit for that one, but still each day passes and pg's are signing elsewhere but UD, so unless he has another rabbit in there we're getting leftovers no one wants at pg next year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm here, so he pulled a rabbit out of his hat, I'll give him credit for that one, but still each day passes and pg's are signing elsewhere but UD, so unless he has another rabbit in there we're getting leftovers no one wants at pg next year
Posted via Mobile Device
Wikipedia tells me there is such a thing as the Czech Red Rabbit. And get this, the man responsible for the breed's name was a fellow by the name of Theodore Svoboda, who is credited with the breed's selection in 1940. So you may be on to something...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Red_rabbit
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (05-02-2017), Jay O'Leary (05-03-2017), UDGutter2 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

LI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant future
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w4uMJAhbs8E
Is it wabbit season???
I think we'll find a nice pointed, guarded wabbit!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:15 AM
General

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Wikipedia tells me there is such a thing as the Czech Red Rabbit. And get this, the man responsible for the breed's name was a fellow by the name of Theodore Svoboda, who is credited with the breed's selection in 1940. So you may be on to something...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Red_rabbit
That. . . is totally ridiculous.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Posted via Mobile Device
You have endless ways of carving up rabbits. This negative approach will work for you clear through a Final Four. But is that really what floats your boat?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=Gazoo;505768]Clearly work to be done, and the lack of a PG on the team could sink the whole season. But I have to think that an (at least) average PG looking to transfer is going to look at this situation and think "did this really just fall into my lap??" I concur with Gazoo. Wow, what a fantastic opportunity for a young fellow. I don't understand why Crosby left? What is the story?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
You have endless ways of carving up rabbits. This negative approach will work for you clear through a Final Four. But is that really what floats your boat?
The Svobodas know a lot about rabbits, but they also have great expertise when it comes to boating. In fact, Matej and Xeyrious have already launched a fantastic new business venture. Scoochie could learn a thing or two from these two! Anyway, I encourage you all to consider Svoboda & Williams for all your European boating needs. Whether you need a boat, motorboat or yacht, they have you covered!

https://en.svoboda-williams.com/life...cle/652-marine
Old 05-02-2017, 11:23 AM

omg. I do see where Rollo got one of his crew members aboard.
CE80 (05-02-2017), rollo (05-02-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Colonel

another day, another pg signing with another team......its like groundhog day here with AG
Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
another day, another pg signing with another team......its like groundhog day here with AG
Another day, another post by UDScott *****ing about UD, AG, or life in general. It like groundhog day here on UDPride.
16 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
88flyer (05-03-2017), cralford (05-03-2017), CT Flyer (05-03-2017), Fairborn Fan (05-03-2017), flyercasey (05-04-2017), GoFlyer (05-03-2017), IndianaFlyer (05-03-2017), longtimefan (05-03-2017), m21eagle45 (05-03-2017), San Diego Flyer (05-03-2017), TerryK_67 (05-03-2017), The Fly (05-03-2017), TMPH66 (05-03-2017), Townie (05-03-2017), UD62 (05-03-2017), Wallage (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of
keep up the negativity. your original post was obviously wrong, so let's keep the trend going...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 88flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (05-03-2017), UD62 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Colonel

Prove me wrong ? Do we have any pg ? Don't they keep signing with other teams ? All we're gonna have next year is leftovers no one else wants cause AG can't close the door on a deal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2017, 04:22 PM

Facts don't lie, he is 0-3 with our top 3 recruits, that's it in 30 days, horrible choice for head coach and people on here love it unreal
Posted via Mobile Device
So how did this work out for you? 3 for 5 at worst I think. Of course a lot of posters wrote all 5 off, so you weren't alone. Just the most persistently wrong.
88flyer (05-03-2017), TA111 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Prove me wrong ? Do we have any pg ? Don't they keep signing with other teams ? All we're gonna have next year is leftovers no one else wants cause AG can't close the door on a deal
Posted via Mobile Device
You just keep throwing crap against the wall hoping something sticks. How's that, losing our top three recruits, working for you. I believe you referred to that as a fact.

Last edited by UD62; 05-03-2017 at 04:38 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
88flyer (05-03-2017), GoFlyer (05-03-2017), TA111 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:32 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Please stop. You clearly have been way off base in your "predictions". Don't dig the hole any deeper.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
88flyer (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Nobody here is saying there isn't a problem at the PG position.

I think the difference between you and a rational person is that we don't immediately assume AG sucks at his job because of it.

I'm sure he noticed we don't have a PG. He can't just grab any PG out there and have that kid eat a scholarship for the next 4 years. It has to be the right fit. He may be looking at someone on the roster and be thinking "That kid can run my system just as well as the available Freshman".

Either way - while we are all worried about the PG position - can we please let AG put together an opening day roster - and play some games before labeling him a failure?

And remember - we didn't hire AG for today. We hired him for a long term vision. I think it will be tough to truly measure his success for a few years. Let him develop some players and let him get some of his own guys in here. Give him time.

If you aren't willing to give him time - that's fine. But do the rest of us a favor and throw your computer in a dumpster and set it on fire. I'm all for debate and banter, but you are a special kind of something.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (05-04-2017), fuz_forward (05-04-2017), GoFlyer (05-03-2017), LI Flyer (05-03-2017), Lowd&ProUD (05-03-2017), The Fly (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 05:26 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
Hold your fire until we see what happens.

I am not worried about recruiting.

The NBA draft deadline in May might clear up a lot of this.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:34 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
Nobody here is saying there isn't a problem at the PG position.

I think the difference between you and a rational person is that we don't immediately assume AG sucks at his job because of it.

I'm sure he noticed we don't have a PG. He can't just grab any PG out there and have that kid eat a scholarship for the next 4 years. It has to be the right fit. He may be looking at someone on the roster and be thinking "That kid can run my system just as well as the available Freshman".

Either way - while we are all worried about the PG position - can we please let AG put together an opening day roster - and play some games before labeling him a failure?

And remember - we didn't hire AG for today. We hired him for a long term vision. I think it will be tough to truly measure his success for a few years. Let him develop some players and let him get some of his own guys in here. Give him time.

If you aren't willing to give him time - that's fine. But do the rest of us a favor and throw your computer in a dumpster and set it on fire. I'm all for debate and banter, but you are a special kind of something.
UDSCOTT has been overreactive his whole time on this site. When he's not looking for tickets or parking, he's bashing the future based on the present. He was ready to throw AM to the wolves after 1.5 seasons. In late 2013 he stated emphatically that Devon Scott was a stud and should absolutely take over for Kavs as the Flyers starting center.

Despite what we've seen of players like Oliver, Scooch, Pollard and K. Davis, he looks at a freshman's production and declares the future in the toilet.

Is he right that the Flyers have no PG as of now? Yes. If UD gets very good PG play in November will he be back here admitting that he was wrong about AG's patience in April and May? No. He will be here asking for tickets.

Take him with a grain of salt.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyercasey (05-04-2017), flyerfanatic86 (05-04-2017), Lowd&ProUD (05-03-2017), m21eagle45 (05-03-2017), MNFats (05-03-2017), San Diego Flyer (05-03-2017), TA111 (05-04-2017), The Fly (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post

I tried, along with 4 shots of tequila, and he is still a pain in the @$$
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
DaytonInsider (05-03-2017), UD62 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
UDSCOTT has been overreactive his whole time on this site. When he's not looking for tickets or parking, he's bashing the future based on the present. He was ready to throw AM to the wolves after 1.5 seasons. In late 2013 he stated emphatically that Devon Scott was a stud and should absolutely take over for Kavs as the Flyers starting center.

Despite what we've seen of players like Oliver, Scooch, Pollard and K. Davis, he looks at a freshman's production and declares the future in the toilet.

Is he right that the Flyers have no PG as of now? Yes. If UD gets very good PG play in November will he be back here admitting that he was wrong about AG's
patience in April and May? No. He will be here asking for tickets.

Your correct, Devon Scott would have taken over for kavs if he had not been a thief
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Colonel

All I'm trying to say is we are a top 40 team year in and year out, and AG cannot get anyone to sign, players should be knocking our doors down to come to UD and start and play pg next year but their not, their not coming and their signing elsewhere, I cannot see how you don't think that is alarming ? And for all you that think AG was some great coach other places and stuff then why did McKinley Wright say after he was hired " I have never heard of him"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Your correct, Devon Scott would have taken over for kavs if he had not been a thief
Posted via Mobile Device
You were stating that Kavs needed benched in favor of Scott, not replaced after graduation. Spin do ya?
Old 05-03-2017, 07:55 PM
General

All I'm trying to say is we are a top 40 team year in and year out, and AG cannot get anyone to sign, players should be knocking our doors down to come to UD and start and play pg next year but their not, their not coming and their signing elsewhere, I cannot see how you don't think that is alarming ? And for all you that think AG was some great coach other places and stuff then why did McKinley Wright say after he was hired " I have never heard of him"
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm alarmed we don't have a PG. I'm not alarmed that AG hasn't found the replacements yet. If come November, he has no viable replacement, I will then be alarmed. Same as I wait for Freshman to become sophs, juniors and seniors before I stamp them failures.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Posted via Mobile Device
They're*
Mad Props to flyerfan4life For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jay O'Leary (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:59 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
99% of HS kids couldnt name the prior head coaches from 97% of D-I schools, nevermind the current head coaches. They know the ones actively recruiting them and that's about it.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (05-03-2017), CT Flyer (05-04-2017), flyercasey (05-04-2017), longtimefan (05-04-2017), MNFats (05-03-2017), The Fly (05-03-2017), UD62 (05-04-2017), wes (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,110 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Wright probably hadn't even heard of Miller until UD started recruiting him. Most of these kids don't know the names of any college head coaches unless it's Coach K or Calipari. Very weak argument.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
Wright probably hadn't even heard of Miller until UD started recruiting him. Most of these kids don't know the names of any college head coaches unless it's Coach K or Calipari. Very weak argument.
I would suggest that all his arguments are weak
Old 05-04-2017, 09:52 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
This thread needs to be put out of its misery.

springborofan (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 12:13 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
What do you think now?
Closed Thread