Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
SEMO Aftermath

I thought the Flyers looked great at times and at times looked just horrible. The score was 40 to 21, but it was close the entire game.

SEMO was a far better team than Robert Morris, but this was a winnable game for the Flyers. I don't think we made very good adjustments on Defense after the half. We were winning early in the fourth quarter, but it was close and we allowed them to move out in front with like 12 minutes left.

We had just stopped them on a 2 point conversion when we give them the ball back and in a serious defensive lapse we were loaded to one side and a short swing pass (which killed us all day) the opposite way led to a 73 yard touchdown and he was untouched. This broke the back for both the offense and defense in my opinion. We go and give the ball right back and their running back just moves outside and hits a huge hole and untouched goes for 95 yards. Trying to do too much we fumbled it away while driving and that pretty much ended it.

Had SEMO run that RB the entire game, I believe he could have had close to 400 yards rushing. He had 202 as it was and we had no real answer for him.

SEMO had big, strong and quick linebackers that filled the holes pretty well. Their D Line was fairly quick too and big. Yet, we moved the ball really well at times. I like the Receiver Reverse (a lot), but to run it three times in the span of six plays was too much and we were at times very limited in the play calling. If we are going with a red-shirt freshman at QB, let's open the playbook more and develop him like we did with Alex Jeske. He struggled at times his first year and look how he developed. Cook has some of the same abilities and drive.

Any team will struggle once the starter goes down, but I think our offensive play calling is too limited and doesn't utilize his strengths.

I am glad I went to the game. It is a place I have never been and it was a great bonding time with my 13 year old daughter who loves the program as much as I do. I didn't like the 4 hours of driving in the pouring down rain (8 hours total drive time) on the way back Saturday night, but I wouldn't trade the experience with my daughter for anything. Just wish the Flyers had pulled out a victory, but hopefully, we learned some things and play better at Duquesne who really has our number at their place.

The good thing is this doesn't impact our conference standings. It is now over and let's Go Flyers!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (09-10-2018), Avid Flyer (09-11-2018), Flyer Gramps (09-12-2018), Showme Flyer (09-10-2018), tirebiter (09-10-2018)
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Showme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant future
I think our offensive play calling is too limited and doesn't utilize his strengths.
Ditto

They also had a lot of team speed
Old 09-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Just off the Jet

flyEr1 is a jewel in the roughflyEr1 is a jewel in the roughflyEr1 is a jewel in the roughflyEr1 is a jewel in the rough
When you look at it, the score really doesn't show how the game went. All the comments above are fair comments. The defense needs to stop those big plays from happening. Period. They need to sure up their linebacker play and make some big plays in the secondary.

As for offense... it may not seem like it, but they did put up 495 yards of total offense. That is extremely high considering past Dayton teams. The true issue was scoring once we crossed the 50. So many longs drives cut short by not finishing. Yes, a few plays like the sweep and bubble can be repetitive at times but we do have the core for it to work. This is a similar situation to Alex a few years back. It also takes the coaches time to open up Cook. He was poised and made a few errors but overall, he battled every single play and extended tons with his feet. Confidence will drive him and the coaches decisions in play calling.

Excited to see how it all progresses but I think there is a lot there to make a huge run in the PFL. Confidence is key, so lets take that into Duquesne.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyEr1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (09-11-2018), Flyer Gramps (09-12-2018)