UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,160 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting year in college basketball

Last night another top 5 team lost to un unranked opponent. I believe that is 6 or 7 so far this year. It seems that there may be no super teams or super players that could control the season as we have seen in the past. We are down to 4 or 5 undefeated teams and it's not even December 15. Could our Flyers have picked a better year to have their best team in 50 years?

Four number 1's go down, 2 at home to not only unranked teams but teams that come from weak conferences and were supposed to lose by nearly 30.

There is not consensus number one pick and we seem to have a lottery pick of our own.

If all goes well and everyone is able, we could actually see a top 10 ranking that isn't a flash in the pan. With that comes the potential of a number 2 or 3 seed. This isn't just seeing through Flyer color glasses. This is starting to become a rallying cry of several pundits. This team has balance that most teams lack. We can score from all over the court and when a couple of our big men get a little more accustomed to being on the court we could have a pretty stout defense, which we flash already at times.

I refuse to wake up, this is too much fun.
18 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (12-12-2019), 46 Chambers Alumni (12-13-2019), Bill McPeek (12-12-2019), Bonziflyer (12-12-2019), bp (12-13-2019), CJ2etc (12-12-2019), Clear Prop (12-12-2019), CoffeeCan (12-12-2019), Flyer 86 (12-12-2019), FlyerBob (12-12-2019), IAFlyer (12-12-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-12-2019), runnerup (12-12-2019), San Diego Flyer (12-12-2019), SLUFLYER (12-12-2019), TommyGola (12-13-2019), UDGutter2 (12-12-2019), udx2 (12-12-2019)
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Last night another top 5 team lost to un unranked opponent. I believe that is 6 or 7 so far this year. It seems that there may be no super teams or super players that could control the season as we have seen in the past. We are down to 4 or 5 undefeated teams and it's not even December 15. Could our Flyers have picked a better year to have their best team in 50 years?

Four number 1's go down, 2 at home to not only unranked teams but teams that come from weak conferences and were supposed to lose by nearly 30.

There is not consensus number one pick and we seem to have a lottery pick of our own.

If all goes well and everyone is able, we could actually see a top 10 ranking that isn't a flash in the pan. With that comes the potential of a number 2 or 3 seed. This isn't just seeing through Flyer color glasses. This is starting to become a rallying cry of several pundits. This team has balance that most teams lack. We can score from all over the court and when a couple of our big men get a little more accustomed to being on the court we could have a pretty stout defense, which we flash already at times.

With the above, why get excited about seeding? Let's talk about winning the whole d*mn thing.

Last edited by flyerfanatic86; 12-12-2019 at 11:23 AM..
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
With the above, why get excited about seeding? Let's talk about winning the whole d*mn thing.
Seeding is a pretty important part of winning the whole d*mn thing. Better seeding exponentially increases our chances of doing such. And anyone who is getting a 2 or 3 seed is absolutely talking about winning the whole d*mn thing
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (12-12-2019), fuz_forward (12-12-2019), IAFlyer (12-12-2019), sheg (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Captain

Clear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud of
Hopefully, our team will focus on one game at a time (and keep winning), anything will be possible!
Old 12-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
"Hopefully, our team will focus on one game at a time (and keep winning), anything will be possible!"

The IMPACT of having a revolving Top 10 MBB this year is ... we may have a few unexpected losses ... ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE ... any day any night a "good" team can be beaten.

To be a "great team" ... work your butt off every game ... knowing you bring your A game, step on their throats ... beat them into submission AND hope you don't have too many losses ...

So when we have an unexpected loss ... it won't be the end of the world ... this year.

Normally we all say in the A10 ... you will win a game you should have lost and lose a game you should have won. Will we have a couple of losses this way in the A-10 conference?

I'm still on track for a 25-6 year.
Mad Props to marco red eagle For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marco red eagle View Post

I'm still on track for a 25-6 year.

I sure hope this team does a lot better than 25-6. Ideally 39-1 but certainly better than 25-6.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
This team CAN win every single remaining game on their schedule. How they do over the next month, up through the home VCU game, will tell us howmany they SHOULD win. But six losses would be a major disappointment at this point.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:43 PM

John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Most years I take a look at the schedule and try to pencil in wins and losses. This year I have decided not to do that because I will surely jinx everything if I do such a dastardly deed. Instead I am just enjoying the ride. As I have gotten older, I have realized that the journey is way more fun than the destination. My hope is than the next 3+ months are an exciting journey and I will let the destination take care of itself.

A few years ago my wife and I decided to take separate vacations for the only time in our 31 years of marriage. She was going to do a girls Mexico all you can eat/drink vacation with three friends. I had been working with my sons to do the ultimate guys vacation for a few months and when we finally got it all together we had the following: Cedar Point, the Columbus Zoo, Kings Island, the MLB All Star game, white water rafting on the New River, the baseball Hall of Fame and on the way back to Cleveland for our flight we hit the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

The spots we hit were all fabulous and we had a great time, but I tell you the time we spent in the car talking about anything and everything really made the trip.

Enjoy the journey, it may never get better than this.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (12-13-2019), chicago92 (12-12-2019), Fudd (12-12-2019), Graphicsguy (12-12-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-12-2019), MrFlyerFanatic (12-13-2019), SLUFLYER (12-12-2019), TA111 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by John C. View Post

We need to get by three teams to crack the top ten. Ore and Mich play with the loser likely falling behind us ( seems pretty well assumed we will beat Drake). Memphis is favored (79%) to lose at Tenn. Perhaps Virginia fall a bunch after their destruction at Purdue. Gonzaga is a big underdog at Az. We have a real chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Thanked 10,175 Times in 5,903 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Purdue beat VA last week. UVA beat UNC this week, so they will not fall. St L needs to beat Auburn, or they are undefeated and move up.

So slim chance for the Top10.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:42 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
It's a chicken and egg thing. A top seed means you are in all the discussions with experts, coaches, talking heads, printed rags, networks, cable. And you can actually find your score in the news that morning. Then there's that. Primes the punt for good seeding. X has thrived on good seeds. Ok I'll be honest, they have been really lucky with seeding.

Winning is what primes all those pumps. Take our situation. We usually spit the bit the second week after entering the polls. If we lose to Colorado, our stock will drop like RING DOORBELLS.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:11 PM

In the tournament, it is all about matchups. However, I like the matchup of a 15 seed instead of a nine seed.
Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
At the beginning of the season, I expected us to win two out of three in Maui, which we did. split Colorado and St. Mary’s, which at worst we will do and hold serve at home finishing with at worst and 11 and two record heading into the Atlantic 10 season. I’m thinking we can be 12 and one. Then it’s off to the hell hole’s that are the Philly gyms. talk to me after we win those two. we do that, and I think anything is possible. our best case scenario is one Atlantic 10 loss at VCU.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I'm fine with facing a nine seed...in the second round.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-13-2019), John C. (12-13-2019), UDGutter2 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 04:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

46 Chambers Alumni has a spectacular aura about46 Chambers Alumni has a spectacular aura about
Everybody's right. This is a very interesting, exciting year in college basketball. UD is having a season with national exposure like it has rarely had. Almost every week there are highly ranked teams that have been defeated, including a handful that people would never predict, or even say could happen.

Because of that, there are two sides to this coin. One side is that there may be no limit to how high the Flyers can be ranked and how far it can get in the NCAA tournament that we expect to be in, at this point. The second side of this coin is that now that we are ranked and continue to climb, WE become the hunted, the ranked, the bullseye. We become that team that could be defeated by any team on our schedule, including our upcoming game against Drake, and especially when we hit the A10 competition, which looks like a slugfest this year.

I would love it if UD went through the season with only one loss and hope they do. However some losses are likely. Even a '25-6' record would be nothing to be sneezed at.

I guess all this rambling is just the point that if the team shows up focused and ready to play EVERY game...The sky is the limit, including A10 champs, and a long run in the NCAA tournament. So far it has. They are a very exciting team to watch and to root for. Their offensive passing and teamwork is fantastic. They seem like they are even learning to play defense. But they(and we as fans) can't overlook anybody. The effort needs to be there every game.

GO FLYERS!!!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 46 Chambers Alumni For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (12-13-2019), UDGutter2 (12-13-2019)