User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Annoying tidbit from Friday night's game

Not sure if this was already brought up but....

Late in the first half the shot and game clock froze up. Not sure if it was due to the clock itself or the operator. No one seemed to notice it for like forever. I recall because I was continuing to state this during the play. I couldn't believe the refs didn't notice. I recall vividly that the game clock was at 1:44 left to play.

The unfortunate part is URI scored and got fouled. Only then did the refs noticed the clock wasn't running. At that time, they reviewed the monitor and eventually put 1:09 left on the game clock. I'm no math major, but that means that 35 seconds went off the clock. If that was the case, URI had the ball more than the 30 second shot clock would have allowed without taking a shot. I realize they can't take the points away from URI in this case, but how on earth did no one notice this?

Whatever the case, if someone forgot to start the clocks, they may have gifted URI some points.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-04-2019), Jeff (03-04-2019), Radar (03-04-2019)
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Not sure if this was already brought up but....

Late in the first half the shot and game clock froze up. Not sure if it was due to the clock itself or the operator. No one seemed to notice it for like forever. I recall because I was continuing to state this during the play. I couldn't believe the refs didn't notice. I recall vividly that the game clock was at 1:44 left to play.

The unfortunate part is URI scored and got fouled. Only then did the refs noticed the clock wasn't running. At that time, they reviewed the monitor and eventually put 1:09 left on the game clock. I'm no math major, but that means that 35 seconds went off the clock. If that was the case, URI had the ball more than the 30 second shot clock would have allowed without taking a shot. I realize they can't take the points away from URI in this case, but how on earth did no one notice this?

Whatever the case, if someone forgot to start the clocks, they may have gifted URI some points.
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but when dissecting the game over beverages at an undisclosed local pub, this is the FIRST thing that came up. What blew my mind is HOW LONG it took anyone on the court (players, coaches, refs) to recognize the clock malfunction...to include the clock operators! Not a good look unless the clock operator was able to explain it away. When it stuck, and was realized, that horn should've been blasting until the game was stopped.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
UD uses precision timing. The whistle automatically stops the clock. The refs each have a box on their hip to start the clock. The refs screwed up and failed to start the clock.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-04-2019), jack72 (03-04-2019), Radar (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Buster I made the same comment to my wife at the game. URI used 35 seconds on that possession and no on seemed to notice or question it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Academy Doolie

434 is just really nice434 is just really nice434 is just really nice434 is just really nice
I went back to watch the replay on this and turns out the issue is bit more complicated then you all realize. Using stopwatch I figured out what sort of happened.

The possession before the URI possession, Davis would make a three after grabbing the ball that was rolling on the floor (nearly a turnover that turned out to be a great pass). The clock actually stops at 1:44 before Davis gets the ball and makes his three. If you look at the play by play (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401085617) you will note they give Davis the made shot at 1:40, which is about right.

Now you can't see when URI inbounds the ball, because ESPN cuts to Davis running back down the court. In normal instance, the game clock continues to run after a made shot, but the shot clock doesn't start until the ball is inbounded.

Giving URI a second to inbound, then 25 seconds ran off from an inbounds to when the foul is called. So URI did indeed get shot off and fouled before a 30 second shot clock would run out. Again the play by play (https://daytonflyers.com/boxscore.as...l#play-by-play) notes that Fatts Russell makes layup with 1:14 on the clock. My stopwatch would have said 1:13 but close enough.

But the refs put 1:09 on the clock. Where they decided another 5 seconds ran off, I don't know. Again in the play by play this accounted for by Fatts makes his free throw with 1:09.

In the end it didn't matter as what happened is UD was penalized by having 5 less seconds in their last possession. With Mikesell drawing the foul right at the end the half, and making his two free throws, that loss of 5 seconds didn't hurt UD.

So the only other question that remains is why the clock stop at all? Did an official inadvertently blow a whistle, but only slightly that it wasn't heard, but picked up by the precision timing device.

Last edited by 434; 03-04-2019 at 08:51 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 434 For This Totally Excellent Post:
LIBob (03-04-2019), Radar (03-05-2019), ud69 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 08:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 434 View Post
I went back to watch the replay on this and turns out the issue is bit more complicated then you all realize. Using stopwatch I figured out what sort of happened.

The possession before the URI possession, Davis would make a three after grabbing the ball that was rolling on the floor (nearly a turnover that turned out to be a great pass). The clock actually stops at 1:44 before Davis gets the ball and makes his three. If you look at the play by play (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401085617) you will note they give Davis the made shot at 1:40, which is about right.

Now you can't see when URI inbounds the ball, because ESPN cuts to Davis running back down the court. In normal instance, the game clock continues to run after a made shot, but the shot clock doesn't start until the ball is inbounded.

Giving URI a second to inbound, then 25 seconds ran off from an inbounds to when the foul is called. So URI did indeed get shot off and fouled before a 30 second shot clock would run out. Again the play by play (https://daytonflyers.com/boxscore.as...l#play-by-play) notes that Fatts Russell makes layup with 1:14 on the clock. My stopwatch would have said 1:13 but close enough.

But the refs put 1:09 on the clock. Where they decided another 5 seconds ran off, I don't know. Again in the play by play this accounted for by Fatts makes his free throw with 1:09.

In the end it didn't matter as what happened is UD was penalized by having 5 less seconds in their last possession. With Mikesell drawing the foul right at the end the half, and making his two free throws, that loss of 5 seconds didn't hurt UD.

So the only other question that remains is why the clock stop at all? Did an official inadvertently blow a whistle, but only slightly that it wasn't heard, but picked up by the precision timing device.

Obi and Ryan excluded, I wish the rest of the team put as much effort into the game as you put into this post.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-05-2019), Radar (03-05-2019), Southwest (03-04-2019), superfan99 (03-05-2019), TommyGola (03-05-2019), TX Flyer (03-05-2019), TXFlyerFan (03-04-2019), UD Rugby (03-05-2019)