Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
1st Lieutenant

Dante Calebria
Question Xavier Games

Anyone have a reason why both X games are during the week? Just the luck of the draw?
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Colonel

lilrudy4787 will become famous soon enough
stop student drinking before the games....but it isnt gonna work

I HATE SISTER SCHMELING!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:21 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dante Calebria View Post
Anyone have a reason why both X games are during the week? Just the luck of the draw?
I would say thats what the ESPN network offered the A-10
Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
What?

Originally Posted by lilrudy4787 View Post
stop student drinking before the games....but it isnt gonna work

I HATE SISTER SCHMELING!
Are you serious?
Do you really think the good Sister had anyting do with the dates of the games?

How can you use the word hate in the first placeThe next time there is a big storm and there is lighting stay the He!! away from me.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Colonel

lilrudy4787 will become famous soon enough
well John R...i dont know when u graduated, but schmeling has done many thing which are sucking the life out of the campus at UD...she is hated by the student campus majority.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by lilrudy4787 View Post
well John R...i dont know when u graduated, but schmeling has done many thing which are sucking the life out of the campus at UD...she is hated by the student campus majority.
A 1972 graduate and I'm sure it was before you were born.
You say the good Sister is hated by the student campus majority?
Is there any reason why no one has posted anyting negative about her before?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 PM

Binnie Bombs 33 is on a distinguished road
I'm so glad I graduated while the drinking was still prevelant at UD.

Schmelling locked the basements at UD and if opened an alarm will sound, this actually has happened, it was written in the Flyer News. Her thought is, it makes less space for a party indoors ... meaning more people outside, more chance of spilling into the sidewalk/street, more chance of a cop breaking it up and fining people.

Think about that, just think about that. Her goal is to stop beer pong on campus, what a joke. And yes, she has a hand in that stuff ... chirping in the ears of higher ups in the athletics department to try to stop drinking ... or curb it.

UD is drastically different then it was 5 yrs ago. If you dig you can still find blue collar drinkers and awesome parties, but you cant just walk down the street anymore. It is turning into Miami (OH) the preppy bull**** and paying for parties and drinking wine in the ghetto ... and not franzia. I hate Miami and its enviornment and UD is slowly turning into it.

But as a proud alumni ... I will party harder when I visit and wander from house to house and continue the traditions ... and you know what, those alumni houses will see some awessssssssssome parties.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Binnie Bombs..........

....in what voting precinct will you be casting your vote for Barack Obama on 11/4?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:07 PM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the change had more to do with the cost of insurance (drunk students stammering down the near vertical basement steps in most houses) but I could . . . I say I could be wrong, ya know.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
BTW...in Ohio, 'then' and 'than' are not interchangeable

BB33, when you grow up, I hope you're as cool as you currently think you are.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
correcting grammar is cool....
Old 10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,434 Times in 683 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I've heard the same thing from several of my friends still in school, so what has been said is jiving with what I've already heard. Take that for what you will.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
I have heard the same from friends at school now and those who work and own the bars on campus.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:11 PM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BallgameJohnny View Post
correcting grammar is cool....
Having your head severely and securely stufffed up your arse isn't cool.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Captain

Xenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to behold
I feel like we had this drinking discussion a while back, but when I was at UD (grad school from 2002-2005), there was an article in the Flyer News regarding the alarming number of sexual assaults on campus. Many took place at parties, as apparently many male students find it acceptable to take advantage of women who are passed out. I think that's one thing that played into attempts to curb drinking.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
New Poster, long-time reader ...

... I also have heard that this is happening at UD. As far as the drinking goes, I am all for the drinking being curbed from say five years ago and it has been. But to lock people out of their basements and force them to get in trouble for having a party is pretty low.

Even though BinnieBombs post is worded in a way to sound threatening or "cool" I understand what he is trying to say. For all of you older posters here, just remember what college was like when you went and how easy it was to drink, have fun and enjoy it at UD.

UD is changing, some for the better and some for the worse. The "Blue Collar" (as BB33 puts it) people are going down ... all the restaurants and bars are being rebuilt and new. Now I am for change, but I also am for the good old times.

UD is slowly turning into other schools like Miami or Butler ... from the academic side it is a plus ... but as far as UD being the place to be now-a-days that is no longer, the student neighborhood is mellow and dying (brings a tear to my eye) ... there are open parking spaces on the weekends now! Five or Six years ago you wouldn't dream of that and had to drive around for 10 hours to get a spot on Friday night. Also, the people are no longer coming from all over Ohio to be at UD ...

We are going to lose the people that make this campus great in terms of "socially," the people that welcome newbies with open arms on their first weekend ... now it is starting to turn into closed doors and lists, no open arms to the new kids. Part of that is fear of getting caught. I loved the open doors at UD when I went there and unless you can find the select few people, the doors are closing.

I will never forget being a tiny freshman and just walking around being invited to party, hang out and meet tons of new people ... I did the same when I had a house on Keifaber for two years and hopefully I made those kids remember those times, those are the best times.

I will always remember UD as when I was there and all the wild stuff I did ... and when I go up for a reunion or for games, I will bring back those old times ... I am still young enough and single to do these things! And hopefully there are some seniors who will feel the same way when my friends and I are walking around with a case of beer (Beast of course, not Natty!) looking to hang out.

I don't like the atmospheric change one bit, it is hard for anyone wearing the blue and red glasses to notice UD is a little colder and more stuck up now-a-days.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
It has been a long time since I left college, 37 years to be exact and what you younger guys/gals don't realize is society has changed. Back in 1967, when I entered UD, the drinking age was 18.....for 3.2 beer and many pounded down the stuff, yours truly included. During the 68 NIT the University even brought beer trucks, loaded with kegs, onto campus just to keep the students on campus. I also remember the bon fires at the corners of all the streets...Kiefaber and Alberta, for example. There was not much intervention on the part of the university or the police until about 1970. What has changed is how society looks and deals with such behavior. Gone are the days when one would be pulled over by the local constable and if he felt you had too much too drink he gave you a ride home and that was that! Those days are long gone! What I read is going in the "Ghetto" now seems to me to reflect what is and has taken place, in general, through out society. We ALL have to deal with the changes whether we like it or not. I no longer feel comfortable stopping at a local watering hole and having a few cold ones then driving home. In the old days I wouldn't give it two thoughts! I give my own kids credit. They are over 21 and will not go "out on the town" except with a designated driver or, God forbid, one of their parents pick them up. Driving is not an option. The times they have a changed!

Last edited by Bill McPeek; 10-09-2008 at 09:58 PM..
Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
It has been a long time since I left college, 37 years to be exact and what you younger guys/gals don't realize is society has changed. Back in 1967, when I entered UD, the drinking age was 18.....for 3.2 beer and many pounded down the stuff, yours truly included. I also remember the bon fires at the corners of all the streets...Kiefaber and Alberta, for example. There was not much intervention on the part of the university or the police until about 1970. What has changed is how society looks and deals with such behavior. Gone are the days when one would be pulled over by the local constable and if he felt you had too much too drink he gave you a ride home and that was that! Those days are long gone! What I read is going in the "Ghetto" now seems to me to reflect what is and has taken place, in general, through out society. We ALL have to deal with the changes whether we like it or not. I no longer feel comfortable stopping at a local watering hole and having a few cold ones then driving home. In the old days I wouldn't give it two thoughts! I give my own kids credit. They are over 21 and will not go "out on the town" except with a designated driver or, God forbid, one of their parents pick them up. Driving is not an option. The times they have a changed!
Thank you MADD, one of the top 10 most ridiculous organizations in the free world.

But you can't argue with them because "a drunk driver killed my baby." Ergo the legal limit should be 0.0%.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
It has been a long time since I left college, 37 years to be exact and what you younger guys/gals don't realize is society has changed. Back in 1967, when I entered UD, the drinking age was 18.....for 3.2 beer and many pounded down the stuff, yours truly included. I also remember the bon fires at the corners of all the streets...Kiefaber and Alberta, for example. There was not much intervention on the part of the university or the police until about 1970. What has changed is how society looks and deals with such behavior. Gone are the days when one would be pulled over by the local constable and if he felt you had too much too drink he gave you a ride home and that was that! Those days are long gone! What I read is going in the "Ghetto" now seems to me to reflect what is and has taken place, in general, through out society. We ALL have to deal with the changes whether we like it or not. I no longer feel comfortable stopping at a local watering hole and having a few cold ones then driving home. In the old days I wouldn't give it two thoughts! I give my own kids credit. They are over 21 and will not go "out on the town" except with a designated driver or, God forbid, one of their parents pick them up. Driving is not an option. The times they have a changed!
As a freshman in '65, I can tell you that Bill is right on. Smoking is another area that has undergone a major society attitude change. I roomed with smokers both my freshman (Stuart) and sophomore (Founders) years. Would never happen today- and that is a very good thing.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 AM
1st Lieutenant

Dante Calebria
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John R View Post
I would say thats what the ESPN network offered the A-10
Thanks for answering my question John R. That makes sense, but stinks that I won't be able to get down for either game due to a 5 hr drive. This thread became wildly off topic. Can we delete it?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dante Calebria View Post
Thanks for answering my question John R. That makes sense, but stinks that I won't be able to get down for either game due to a 5 hr drive. This thread became wildly off topic. Can we delete it?
To remind everyone last year both the UD-XU games were on CSTV and posters had a fit they weren't on ESPN networks. So now it's on ESPN2 and we don't like the day.
Beggers can't be choosers. Whatever day national tv is willing to broadcast a UD game is fine with me.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
piqua can you leave the political comments off the board?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Brigadier General

flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
To remind everyone last year both the UD-XU games were on CSTV and posters had a fit they weren't on ESPN networks. So now it's on ESPN2 and we don't like the day.
Beggers can't be choosers. Whatever day national tv is willing to broadcast a UD game is fine with me.
Good point, although I reserve the right to my righteous indignation over the fact that I won't be able to make it to the game at UD given the day of the game.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
Good point, although I reserve the right to my righteous indignation over the fact that I won't be able to make it to the game at UD given the day of the game.
I won't be able to make the game because it is not a full moon. Life Stinks.
Otis Campbell never needed a reason to get his drink on.
A new generation of slacker alcoholics just can't get it done.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Cool for sure

Originally Posted by daytonflyers View Post
piqua can you leave the political comments off the board?
Ditto on that. Goes for avatars also.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
While I agree that inserting political issues/comments is silly, I find it comical for people to try and tell others what they can and cannot say or post.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
While I agree that inserting political issues/comments is silly, I find it comical for people to try and tell others what they can and cannot say or post.
What do you know. Duck for President
Link: http://www.duckforpresident.com/
Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 PM
General

Thanked 4,540 Times in 2,057 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
Doesn't matter after Nov 4 - it's a done deal.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I find it comical that some folks think it's against the grain to set the guidelines in your own house. Above all this is a UD sports site.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Captain

Xenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to behold
I feel like the games are on weekdays so less X fans have to make the trip up and see their team get thrashed. It just wouldn't be right for Christ Wright to shatter that many dreams and make that many people cry.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
did i say "stop posting about politics"---nope. i said "can you..."

we all know how political jabs such as piqua's can start ****ing matches that would go on longer than any "we should play wright state," "kissell is an idiot," or "BG is a bad coach" ****ing match. and plenty on here condemn people for starting those arguments--about UD basketball.

you can do whatever you want, but it seems it is only antagonizing. and i dont come here to have political debates. but if thats what you want to do i will have to respond...and then the flood gates will open.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Furio View Post
I won't be able to make the game because it is not a full moon. Life Stinks.
Otis Campbell never needed a reason to get his drink on.
A new generation of slacker alcoholics just can't get it done.
What?
The fact that I live hours away and have a class at 8 the following morning makes it a bit infeasible to travel back to Dayton for the game. If it was a weekend game, I would. It is not about making excuses, it's about honoring commitments.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
What?
The fact that I live hours away and have a class at 8 the following morning makes it a bit infeasible to travel back to Dayton for the game. If it was a weekend game, I would. It is not about making excuses, it's about honoring commitments.
And if the game was on Saturday someone would complain they couldn't make it because they work on Saturday.
Never Ends.