Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 11:52 AM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Random Scrimmage Thoughts

For those unable to attend the scrimmage this past Saturday, below are a few observations. Nothing terribly insightful.

1. As the score suggests (68-17), the offense dominated. Given the number of returning starters on offense and some uncertainty on defense, I expected the offense to have success...just not quite that much.

2. While it would be easy to be concerned about how the defense looked on Sat., I don't think it was as bad as it may have appeared. There were a number of younger players getting reps against the No. 1 and 2 units, and the offense was just clicking. I'm told that the defense had been shutting down the offense in the scrimmage settings leading up to the scrimmage, so hopefully this was just a combination of the offense clicking and the defense having a bad morning.

3. Having said the above, this offense really should have a lot of success and score points. Hopefully, the coaches will loosen the reigns a bit and be a little less predictable.

4. On defense, it looks like AJ Watson is a likely starter at CB. The other CB spot seems up in the air for now, but a true freshman (K. Hicks) will definitely be in the mix. At LB, they really seem to like G. Dyer, another true freshmen. He may not start, but he looks to be in the 3-4 person rotation.

5. As in the last couple of years, our punter is going to be a weapon. As for placekicker, the 2 sophs that kicked last year still seem to be competing. From what I could see, they are both fairly accurate inside of 40 yds., but they won't be kicking anything much beyond that.

We're going to learn a great deal in the Robert Morris game, particularly on the defensive side. Should be fun to watch.

Last edited by FlyerIllini; 08-20-2018 at 12:04 PM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (08-21-2018), Cardsflyer (08-21-2018), jaburr91 (08-20-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-20-2018), PittsburghFlyer (08-23-2018), tirebiter (08-21-2018)
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2018, 05:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
https://daytonflyers.com/news/2018/8...media-day.aspx

Chamberlain said:
Defensively, we are seeing steps taken each day. What we need to do right now is be more consistent. One day, like on Thursday when we had a red-zone scrimmage period, the defense dominated. But then, like we came out Saturday, and we give up big plays
Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the write up as I could not come from Columbus for the scrimmage. Looking forward to the first game. I really believe in the offense as long as the coaching staff doesn't hold us back and opens it up. We have a dual threat at QB, great receivers with good hands and speed and our RB's are tough and can block well too.

I will take a 48-45 score any day as long as we are on the winning side.

Go Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (08-28-2018), FlyerIllini (08-21-2018)