UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Top 10 impressions

I watched #5 MN vs #9 WI this weekend. MN won 3-1.

Both teams have excellent setters. MN has the returning SOY in the Big 10. WI has a very talented freshman setter. The more I watch volleyball, the more I feel one huge key to UD's national standings is the play of our setter. We have to be able to get really good setters. Our freshman Doherty has impressed me more and more as her time on the court adds up. She has made some very athletic sets that are impressive. She is already a pretty good back setter. That will become more important as you read my other comments.

MN has a very talented left OH Hart. She is only a sophomore. What surprised me is the talent on the Rightside OH. MN has a freshman on the right pin and she will probably be the Big 10 ROY. She is great.

The freshman that might beat her out is WI's 6'8" MB - Renke ? She was never blocked in this match. She is athletic. She can run the slide behind the setter on the right side. She had no hitting errors. She can also get up quick to hit the ball in front of the setter. Aka - like Lindsay Fletmeier use to hit. When you're 6-6 or taller, you can just hit over a block most nights. Lindsay was not great running the slide. Not near as athletic as Renke. She and her freshman setter will play together 4 years. It will be interesting to see how they develop.

All night long the announcers talked about both these teams talent to attack behind the setters from the Rightside. And they did go right a lot to both MBs running the slides and to strong Rightside hitters. UD has not been a strong Rightside attacking team, but I have seen a big step forward in this area in the last couple weeks. We appear to be working on this.

A couple advantages of going right are with a slide attack, the blockers aren't sure where along the net to set the block. Advantage hitter. The other advantage is most teams play their Libero either in the middle or in the back left position - to dig the opponents left OHs, because they get the most swings. So if you have a strong Rightside attack, you are usually hitting cross court to a weaker backrow player and half the time you are hitting at the opponents setter. If she takes the first touch, someone will have to set the ball. These top ten teams are using the Rightside attack way more than UD.

Both teams have great blocking. They penetrate the net every time. It's impressive. Both coaches teach swing blocking. It did appear to be somewhat modified but very effective.

Finally, the one word that kept coming to me while watching was "control". These teams are so much in contol of the court and the game. They just dig everything. It doesn't matter if they are diving out of bounds for the ball. They still seem to deliver it to a hitter at the net. Almost every block touch that gets tipped back seemed to be dug and played. It's flatout impressive.

I'm watching #1Penn State on Wed night. They are running a 6-2 this year. I've never known PSU to run a 6-2. Looking forward to see what they are doing with it.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-25-2017), Chris R (10-24-2017), Figgie123 (10-25-2017), rollo (10-25-2017)
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I came across the same match by accident and the quality of play was so high that the queen and I had to watch it.
BeckysTXA (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Asked TH what he thought of these 6. 8 players, he said you can't teach height nor can you teach someone to jump, run and jump if they haven't done so I. HS. He said not many that tall are all that athletic or willing to work hard to develope those skills. UD had two that were willing and became all americans. Diamonds in rough if you can find them and they have what it takes to work to next level.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
#1 Penn State hosting #9 Wisconsin tonight 10/25 at 7 pm on the BTN. It's channel 405-1 on my Dish service.

Looking forward to seeing what PSU is doing with their 6-2 system and to see if they have a block that can stop Wisconson's 6-8 middle. I expect PSU to win, but the level of play should be very high by both teams.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-25-2017)