Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
Not hoops related

But most of you don't look at the forum titled: off-topic gibberish . . . my friend, and the priest who married my wife and me in '74, Norb Burns, passed last week. The PR office released a statement which is linked at the end. The basketball part of this is his love for the Flyers. The day before my wife (Ann, Class of '73) and I were hitched, I picked Father Burns up at Laguardia, and then Ann at ABC in the Big City. Drove to NJ and he filled me in on what had been a great season. He asked where I was working, and told him at the Beacon News in the Hudson Valley . . . and from there he recalled his affection for that town where he had been assigned to the junior seminary there . . . and during that period got to know a local undertaker . . . none other than Digger Phelps' dad. Some of you reading this might have been part of the 27,000 students he taught over the years.

https://udayton.edu/news/articles/20...XWEWlcNkvx0raU
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to moville For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (09-01-2020), Bill McPeek (09-01-2020), Canonball (09-01-2020), Clear Prop (09-01-2020), CT Flyer (09-01-2020), Flyer69ers (09-02-2020), Glen Clark (09-01-2020), Jack D (09-02-2020), NYCFLYER (09-03-2020), Swampy Meadows (09-01-2020), The Fly (09-01-2020), wes (09-01-2020)
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2020, 11:23 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
He was one of a kind. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I never took his class, but Father Burns is a UD legend!
Old 09-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
I am privileged to say, I was in his last class. We had no idea it was going to be his last class until about four weeks prior. The final class was a media spectacle like I’ve never seen before. It was awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Funny story from when I had his class. There was a female basketball player (can't remember her name) in the class, as well as Alex Robertson from the men's team. During the class the female always used to lament how Alex and the men's team always got more attention than the women. So true to Father Burns' form he tried to get the two of them to play one on one. Said we would all go to the courts for class to watch the match up. The female was all for it but Alex, who was very soft spoken, just said "nah I don't think so". Father Burns kept trying but Alex was having none of it.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Back in 1970 I took Fr. Burns' class along with some housemates and girlfriends. Many funny stories resulted! Theology of marriage. 10 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Amazing what we can remember.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Captain

Southwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to behold
Always enjoyed his 5 minute radio show, back in the day, “The Challenge of Modern Day Marriage,” at 11:55AM each day on WVUD. God bless him and RIP.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Southwest For This Totally Excellent Post:
DickB 309 (09-09-2020), SeasonTicketFan (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 11:00 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
YOU STUPID MAN YOU! (If you've taken his class, you know this phrase)
Old 09-02-2020, 02:25 PM
Academy Doolie

SoTier Flyer will become famous soon enoughSoTier Flyer will become famous soon enough
When I took Fr. Burns' class in 1983-1984, Roosevelt Chapman was in the class. I'm not sure how often he actually attended, but I do remember one occasion when Fr. Burns involved Roosevelt in a discussion about teasing. He said it's OK to tease Roosevelt about his basketball skill, because we all know he's very good. But you shouldn't tease some of these other guys (pointing generally in my direction), because they're not so good. LOL
Mad Props to SoTier Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (09-04-2020)