UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-05-2022, 05:03 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,433 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
5 guys are more affective at breaking down VCU than 1. Mikeís elite passing skills in a 6í8Ē frame give him the potential to be very helpful against long, attacking teams. Elvisí ability to beat VCU will turn on his ability to pass quick. Really, thatís the key for everyone. You beat the heat with passing, not dribbling.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think it is more like 3 guys who can really handle and pass to break the full court press. You get two guards and potentially a forward who can really handle the ball, make good decisions and pass well, and I think you become immune to the full court press.
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2022, 05:09 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
The 4/5 list includes guys who play the 3. Amzil has played the 3, 4, and 5. The front court is fluid and dynamic. I think most seasons we would be excited about having 3 point guards who can play without relying on a walk on. I think the unease isnít just the injury concerns. Itís an experience thing, too. I just donít think it makes sense. Mali played great last year. Elvis may not be our preference, but he has experience at the point. Mike is young, but people who have watched him play are impressed. For a host of reasons, folks on this board donít want to accept the evaluations. The one that sticks out is the assumption that he canít play PG because of his height. Weíve never had a 6í8Ē PG before, so he canít do the job. People disregard that heís already had to overcome the doubts because of his size. Itís easy to doubt. Itís also easier to let them doubt. AG seems to think weíre ok at the point. Me? I see a starting PG who played awesome last year. I see a back up PG who was serviceable (much better than in most years). We have a top 100 guy as our 3rd option. When did we have better depth at PG?
Posted via Mobile Device
Youíre neglecting the elephant in the room. Itís Maliís durability. Scootch and Crutch were incredibly durable which lead to our team success. Mali was injured 2x last year not to mention in a boot this summer. Availability is the best ability. I truly hope he stays healthy, otherwise it likely wonít be pretty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (08-07-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 09:39 PM

Thanked 2,367 Times in 965 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
You’re neglecting the elephant in the room. It’s Mali’s durability. Scootch and Crutch were incredibly durable which lead to our team success. Mali was injured 2x last year not to mention in a boot this summer. Availability is the best ability. I truly hope he stays healthy, otherwise it likely won’t be pretty.
Posted via Mobile Device
He played in EVERY regular season game and played in 33 of 35 games. He played the second most minutes of anybody on the roster. You’re bringing up durability? LMAO.

You’ve been one of the loudest naysayers about the PG depth all off season. Stop trying to make fetch a thing…

Last edited by springborofan; 08-05-2022 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (08-07-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:25 PM
Colonel

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Fudd, I say the 2 further up court have to find space and come to the ball. You have to punish the aggressive team by scoring on the other end. So, yes, you can have 3 guys who are your primary guys in getting the ball past half court. The other 2 have to attack on the offensive end. Punish the aggressorís aggression. Also, Iím a big proponent of using the pass since a pass moves faster than any player. Movement and passing can make aggressive teams very vulnerable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2022, 11:34 PM
Captain

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Stop trying to make ďfetchĒ a thing. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to superfan99 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 04:04 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud ofFlyerinChicago has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
He played in EVERY regular season game and played in 33 of 35 games. He played the second most minutes of anybody on the roster. Youíre bringing up durability? LMAO.

Youíve been one of the loudest naysayers about the PG depth all off season. Stop trying to make fetch a thingÖ
I don't know what "make fetch a thing" is, pardon my ignorance, is that a Chevy Chase reference? Anyway, I'm one of the least negative posters and more than likely an over-positive poster (koolaid drinker etc.) on this board. It's my concern, like it or not.

This upcoming season has huge implications for the program with realignment discussions and the changing college landscape. My feelings are simply that we really need to make serious noise this year, and if Mali goes down...well, you obviously witnessed what happened last year. Can Mike be good? Absolutely. Lead us deep into the tourney? Likely not, but I'd sure love to see it. I pray they all stay healthy, especially Mali and DaRon.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,873 Times in 2,246 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Great Article by Jablonski

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...DIVITLFZIHZ6M/

Get to see what teammates say about teammates (describe them) and how they are doing

Cool piece
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (08-06-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-06-2022), Runnin' Rebel (08-06-2022), San Diego Flyer (08-07-2022), tirebiter (08-07-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 04:54 PM

Thanked 2,367 Times in 965 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
I don't know what "make fetch a thing" is, pardon my ignorance, is that a Chevy Chase reference? Anyway, I'm one of the least negative posters and more than likely an over-positive poster (koolaid drinker etc.) on this board. It's my concern, like it or not.

This upcoming season has huge implications for the program with realignment discussions and the changing college landscape. My feelings are simply that we really need to make serious noise this year, and if Mali goes down...well, you obviously witnessed what happened last year. Can Mike be good? Absolutely. Lead us deep into the tourney? Likely not, but I'd sure love to see it. I pray they all stay healthy, especially Mali and DaRon.
HahaÖitís from Mean Girls Just a little levity.

Seriously, I think we all share your concern about Mali going down. Itís just that I donít know what could be done about it. If it happens, it happens.

What I do know is that any 5th yr senior who might have signed up for back up duties isnít going to save the day either. So, everyone who continues to harp on this is wasting their time. And, last pointÖwe donít know if AG tried to get some ďrent a PGĒ but no one bit.

I happen to think that Elvis and Mike can cover for periods if Mali is out. If itís long term, Iím not sure there would have been an answer in any situation.

My other point is that Mali is a strong dude and is definitely not injury prone. He played a lot of minutes last year. If you are worried about him getting injured you need to find something else to worry about.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (08-07-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 10:22 PM
Major

HahaÖitís from Mean Girls Just a little levity.

Seriously, I think we all share your concern about Mali going down. Itís just that I donít know what could be done about it. If it happens, it happens.

What I do know is that any 5th yr senior who might have signed up for back up duties isnít going to save the day either. So, everyone who continues to harp on this is wasting their time. And, last pointÖwe donít know if AG tried to get some ďrent a PGĒ but no one bit.

I happen to think that Elvis and Mike can cover for periods if Mali is out. If itís long term, Iím not sure there would have been an answer in any situation.

My other point is that Mali is a strong dude and is definitely not injury prone. He played a lot of minutes last year. If you are worried about him getting injured you need to find something else to worry about.
I hear ya, Iím done on the subject, Mali built himself up this off-season which is great-I love the guy. Canít wait until November.

Fletch out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2022, 01:46 PM
General

Thanked 3,434 Times in 1,889 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
@jakeweingarten

Hearing Daytonís Mali Smith has taken a massive leap headed into his sophomore campaign. Heard heís become a huge vocal leader, has been terrific in practice as well. Could expect elite playmaking out of the Flyersí PG this season.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (08-07-2022), jack72 (08-07-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-07-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:52 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,595 Times in 920 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Haha…it’s from Mean Girls Just a little levity.

Seriously, I think we all share your concern about Mali going down. It’s just that I don’t know what could be done about it. If it happens, it happens.

What I do know is that any 5th yr senior who might have signed up for back up duties isn’t going to save the day either. So, everyone who continues to harp on this is wasting their time. And, last point…we don’t know if AG tried to get some “rent a PG” but no one bit.

I happen to think that Elvis and Mike can cover for periods if Mali is out. If it’s long term, I’m not sure there would have been an answer in any situation.

Agree and don't think that a healthier Elvis hasn't matured and improved not only as an overall SG but with his PG duties as well. I won't say UD endured a hard dose of reality when Mal went down because Elvis simply was not the PG Mal was and there's not a person on here that shouldn't have expected a let down.

There's probably not a handful of teams in the country, if that many, that could handle the loss of your top 2 top PG's going into the season and not suffered, especially losing your starter **** near the last game of the season in tourney action.

Last edited by steve; 08-08-2022 at 10:15 AM..
Old 08-08-2022, 06:12 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
Any insight as to when the full A-10 schedule will be released, including the date and times for each game. I'm really itching to schedule a few away trips for this year.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:54 PM
Major General

Thanked 5,737 Times in 2,104 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
If you want to smile, open this IG post and watch. We have some great young people.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChAS4...MDJmNzVkMjY%3D
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (08-08-2022), CJ2etc (08-10-2022), CT Flyer (08-09-2022), FLYER5 (08-08-2022), Furio (08-09-2022), Jeff (08-09-2022), Runnin' Rebel (08-08-2022), San Diego Flyer (08-09-2022), Sticks 'n Stearns (08-08-2022), The Fly (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 04:24 PM
Major General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Mali, Mustapha and DaRon at UCLA Student Activity Center gym. (probably need to scroll up for the pic)

https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/statu...-EbZ9VE2y9S_CQ
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (08-10-2022), mikeymo85 (08-11-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 08:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,873 Times in 2,246 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
5 Freshmen who could outplay their ranking

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-their-ranking

Michael Sharavjamts, Dayton

Rivals150 ranking: 98

Sharavjamts may honestly be high school basketball’s best-kept secret in the 2022 class. At 6-foot-8, he has legitimate guard skills and a great overall feel for the game as a ball mover and initiator. His shot has also become very consistent and, upside-wise, it wouldn’t surprise to see him be on NBA Draft boards at some point this season.

Dayton is going to have a very fun roster this season with Sharavjamts, DaRon Holmes, Toumani Camara and Malachi Smith. The Flyers could make some noise come March, and Sharavjamts could be a huge reason why.
17 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (08-16-2022), CT Flyer (Today), CvilleFlyer (08-16-2022), Flyer 86 (08-16-2022), FLYER5 (08-16-2022), flyerfanatic86 (08-16-2022), fuz_forward (08-16-2022), Glen Clark (08-16-2022), jack72 (08-16-2022), Marysville Flyer (08-16-2022), Runnin' Rebel (08-16-2022), San Diego Flyer (08-16-2022), SC_Flyer (08-16-2022), springborofan (08-16-2022), superfan99 (08-16-2022), tirebiter (08-16-2022), TommyGola (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 03:51 PM
Major General

Here is a couple of minutes of the first part of an interview about Mike with the Baika Puntsag (Mongolian Counsel in San Francisco).

https://twitter.com/A10Vault/status/..._qu_sNXkRJVJVQ
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (08-16-2022), San Diego Flyer (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 05:39 PM

Thanked 10,378 Times in 4,642 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
This situation with Mike, his country, his b-ball exposure has the feel of something bigger developing at warp speed. It will grow quickly with our great schedule that Neal has put together. It will be a story line that follows us around the country.
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,104 Times in 2,485 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Great article by Jablo on the experience that Mali, DaRon and Mustapha had playing in the Rico Hines Runs in LA:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...OX5IZRZWKZSHM/
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (Yesterday), San Diego Flyer (Yesterday)
Old Today, 01:21 AM
General

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,244 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
https://twitter.com/daronagon/status...HVdCYTBxJMKu3Q