UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Which Flyer needs to learn a little about effort from the Walk-ons?
Landers 0 pts, 0/6 shooting, 3 turnovers 15 23.08%
XW 2 pts, 1/8 shooting 28 43.08%
Svoboda 2 pts, lost everywhere 13 20.00%
Kostas 2 pts, not much else... 2 3.08%
Cunningham 10 pts but needs to DEMAND the ball 1 1.54%
Grant...team NOT prepared at all... 6 9.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2018, 09:17 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
UnGolden Walk-ons Playing Time Matters Award...

I would have named this Award Crutcher and the Walk-Ons but it sounded too much like a band for my royal liking, so I went with title above...reluctantly.

As for the game, or was it a exhibition, all I can say is "WOW, our defense stinks and the intensity is worse."

How do you all feel? Besides bloated from all the barley and hops it takes to digest that joke of an effort...

Vote away for the Royal lack of effort bling that is being handed out way too often this season. I'm still optimistic about next year, and hoping to see more of Westerfeld and less of just about everyone else between now and then.

King Rollo the Utterly Disappointed...OUT!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:57 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Flew back home and caught the last 5 minutes on the WHIO stream.

Instant classic lines from Larry & Bucky:

Larry: "4:53 to go, you have permission to go walk the dog"
Bucky: "or go get a Bud Light".
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-18-2018), Cityengr (01-18-2018), cj (01-18-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-17-2018), flyerfanatic86 (01-18-2018), NYCFLYER (01-18-2018), Radar (01-18-2018), rollo (01-18-2018), ud2 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Xeyrius because he has not improved one bit since last season and was counted on to be one of the leaders and maybe even lead the team in scoring average this year. I am truly sorry that he had the back problem that sat him down for several games but that doesn't affect motivation and heart now that he has been cleared by doctors and is getting minutes!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
No offense to our king, but if the team can’t give an effort to at least compete on a nightly basis, I’m not investing any effort in voting for the biggest loser. We have to get better on D and get better at an inside game when the three isn’t falling. I’m sure I’m the first person to ever say that...oh wait, everyone says that.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-18-2018), Radar (01-18-2018), rollo (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:16 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Easiest poll so far this year Rollo! It's in every thread pertaining to last night's game: XW not only doesn't put forth the effort, it ALMOST appears as though he's out there as an individual, not a teammate. On at least 3 occasions he took the first pass from Crutcher once across half court and launched a 3. On another he received a pass in the corner and with three steps could've had an uncontested dunk...but launched another 3. And 6', 160 lb guards are knocking him all over the place when on the defensive end.

XW in a landslide.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairborn Fan (01-18-2018), Flyer 86 (01-18-2018), Gazoo (01-18-2018), rollo (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
It's strange to say, and Bucky hinted to this in the post game talk, but it appears that Landers is the motor of this team. Bucky called him the 'energizer' and basically said that if he doesn't show up, the team falters. I think Landers is the biggest surprise, no doubt, but I sure hope our W's don't revolve around and undersized forward loaded with hustle. And if it is, we're in a world of hurt.
C-time (01-18-2018), Fairborn Fan (01-18-2018), Flyer 86 (01-18-2018), jack72 (01-18-2018), Widget (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 10:50 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Very hard to vote for anyone out of that mess. Could give it to Cunningham, who played some poor defense, and rebounded with the guards getting 5. Williams is back to square one on his shooting and driving and defense, but he was the leading rebounder with 7 in only 15 minutes.

So that gives it to our motor, who ran like an old Nash Rambler last Night. Trey Landers played uninspired, timid and almost never tried to drive to the basket. He attempted and missed only 2 two point shots, and collected 6 rebounds.

Kudos to Crutcher, who played a great game, and was the only basketball player for us last night. The rest of our team was too busy finishing their VCU double cheeseburgers with large fries to care.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
I voted for Svoboda. Not so much for just last night's performance, but as a consistent head scratcher and question mark again.

I have watched a lot of the games this year, unfortunately, and I can't recall witnessing any moments where he appears to belong out there.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't find a smilie that barf's so I won't vote for any one either!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
I couldn't find a smilie that barf's so I won't vote for any one either!
There's always this:

or my personal favorite that always sums things up perfectly:

NJFlyr71 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 03:22 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
XW all day. He's playing like he's already decided to transfer. His givea**** is clearly broken or he's still really hurting.

And if he's hurting, sit him until he's better.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
There's always this:

An image I will not be able to erase from memory for a very, very, very long time!
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 03:42 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
XW is what he is. He was a stretch 4 that spaced the floor. He isn't bad but he isn't real good either. Had the perfect role last year.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM

Thanked 3,137 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
The most fun I had watching the game last night was seeing the walk-ons running around going after the ball like they really cared. Too bad I didn't see much of that the rest of the game.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:15 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
XW is what he is. He was a stretch 4 that spaced the floor. He isn't bad but he isn't real good either. Had the perfect role last year.
This is very true. But in all fairness, he was given the role and he adapted to it with success. If AM had found a different(more inside) role for him he might have adapted well also and been better prepared to play that part this season. His freshman season I saw a little of both from him. I think he might have been taken by surprise this season that his role from last season was no longer needed and he was not prepared or polished enough to change it successfully.

Last season he and Scoochie were our go to 3 point shooters in crucial situations. This season, it seems we have many 3 point shooters and not enough inside presence. He's basically been asked to fill in the role opened up by Pollard's graduation. He's obviously not adapting well at all.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This is very true. But in all fairness, he was given the role and he adapted to it with success. If AM had found a different(more inside) role for him he might have adapted well also and been better prepared to play that part this season. His freshman season I saw a little of both from him. I think he might have been taken by surprise this season that his role from last season was no longer needed and he was not prepared or polished enough to change it successfully.

Last season he and Scoochie were our go to 3 point shooters in crucial situations. This season, it seems we have many 3 point shooters and not enough inside presence. He's basically been asked to fill in the role opened up by Pollard's graduation. He's obviously not adapting well at all.
Not that it changes your answer a great deal, but I could argue that Charles Cooke was more of a go to, or at least as much as, than XW. He shot about the same percentage and shot more of them. I know that plays were typically designed for CC in such situations, but a lot of that had to do with Scoochie creating as well and reading what the defense was doing/giving up. Often times, CC had the best defender on him and XW was the next best alternative - see Rhode Island last year.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:23 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Not that it changes your answer a great deal, but I could argue that Charles Cooke was more of a go to, or at least as much as, than XW. He shot about the same percentage and shot more of them. I know that plays were typically designed for CC in such situations, but a lot of that had to do with Scoochie creating as well and reading what the defense was doing/giving up. Often times, CC had the best defender on him and XW was the next best alternative - see Rhode Island last year.
I think CC was designed to be a go to 3 point shooter, but when it came to late in the game I don't remember him hitting any. He was so hit and miss streaky and inconsistent with his 3 point shot that I just didn't consider him the clutch 3 point shooter. And late in games, he tended to drive to the basket more than launching 3s. When I think of XW last season, all I think of hitting 3s, I really wasn't that impressed with anything else he did. And to be honest, his 2 game saving 3s against RI seemed to define him and maybe we kind of overrated his season based on that, I'm thinking I did.

Last edited by Smitty10; 01-18-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
And to be honest, his 2 game saving 3s against RI seemed to define him and maybe we kind of overrated his season based on that, I'm thinking I did.
I know I did, particularly after sitting in Indy and watching him go 0-5 against Wichita St. in the NCAAt.

For the record, his two threes against RI were his only made triples of the game.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Voted X. Don’t know what his deal is this year, but if there was an Anti-Chris-Daniels-Most-Unimproved award, he’d win it.

I’ve heard him in interviews, and he seems intelligent and mature. And with his improvement over the past 2 years, I was really looking forward to seeing averages of about 11 PPG and 6 RPG out of him this year. But my lasting memory of him from last night was two ill-advised 3-point attempts in two minutes, both of which were fairly early in the shot clock, neither of which had a snowball’s chance in he!! of going in.

Again, don’t know where last year’s X is, but I wish the guy who’s been wearing #20 all year would find the other guy & give-up the uni.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2018, 10:50 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
There's always this:

Hey rollo, forget the circus act on the thread Kostas Antetokounmpo commits. It was clear that that guy had a set but this graphic you put up a while back is a better illustration of a set that our players need to have on a more consistent basis!

As you can tell sometimes I get bored as well! I'll need to get creative myself! We all just want to see more games like VCU and less like Duquesne, UMass and St. Louis!

Last edited by CvilleFlyer; 01-31-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-31-2018)