User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018, 04:02 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Mikesell said his defense suffered from his hip injury last year in the DDN. Does that mean he could be a good defender? Maybe not, but I'm not writing his defense off yet.

Cohill's defense probably will determine whether he starts
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2018, 04:04 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Name one team in the country who Cunningham would not be an asset too, even if he was just coming off the bench playing 10 to 15 minutes per game. The guy is a stud, and put him on the floor with another skilled big man and look out.

Having said that, my $ says he stays at UD as he knows the talent is here for UD to get to the next level next season with our guard duo a year older, along a healthy Mikesell, eligible Toppin, and our lone recruit we have coming in so far.
We're not talking about one team. We're talking about the limited number of teams that have a good potential for a deep tourney run. Secondly, you're assuming that Cunningham is looking to be a 10-15 minute guy off the bench for an entire year just to be on a team that has a chance to make a deep tourney run. Sorry, I don't buy it. Guys want to start, they want to play a lot of minutes. And they want a chance to play at the next level. Playing minimally the next year for a chance at some odd NCAA glory pales in comparison to getting paid, and if getting paid means showcasing your talent next year at the college level, he'd be better off staying at UD than playing marginal minutes, IMO.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Southwest (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
Cohill will start from day 1 replacing DD
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
And Mikesell will not be starting. He plays terrible defense and I doubt that's going to improve after the injuries he's suffered. He'll get his minutes, but if he's starting it's because the coach puts seniority over skill and while I had seen a lot of that with BG and a little of that with AM, I don't think AG rolls that way.
We can all guess at what we think will happen but even AG doesn't know who will start game 1 (or any other games) next season - yet.

I'll take my guess on Wednesday. I am going to see Cohill play tomorrow night.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-13-2018), steverino015 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:09 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
We're not talking about one team. We're talking about the limited number of teams that have a good potential for a deep tourney run. Secondly, you're assuming that Cunningham is looking to be a 10-15 minute guy off the bench for an entire year just to be on a team that has a chance to make a deep tourney run. Sorry, I don't buy it. Guys want to start, they want to play a lot of minutes. And they want a chance to play at the next level. Playing minimally the next year for a chance at some odd NCAA glory pales in comparison to getting paid, and if getting paid means showcasing your talent next year at the college level, he'd be better off staying at UD than playing marginal minutes, IMO.
I agree with you that walking into that situation is tough. All it takes though is someone convincing him that's the situation he's walking into
Old 02-12-2018, 04:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
OK, name one team in the country out of the limited number of teams that have a good potential for a deep tourney run. who Cunningham would not be an asset too?

Yes he wants to make a deep tourney run, which would be his only reason for thinking he needs to leave. Yes he wants to start and play a lot of minutes. Yes, there are a lot of coaches who may promise him that, and once the season start not follow through with said promise, thus he would be relegated to the 10 to 15 minutes off the bench role. Coachs lie you know.

Again, my money is on he is smart enough to stay put
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Do we even know if Josh can graduate this year?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:56 PM
General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Do we even know if Josh can graduate this year?
I don't think there's any way to know for sure. I think the assumption is that he's been in school for four years so he should be able to finish up
Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Mikesell may improve his defense. He was quoted not too long ago saying post surgery he has more mobility/flexibility than was ever possible before.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Dylan Ennis grad transferred into Oregon and was a starter on a Final Four team
I am not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but the stuff about only getting 10 or 15 minutes elsewhere /not starting elsewhere/limited possibilities elsewhere, etc. that others are posting is just not accurate.

JC might be first team all A10 this year, he will likely have many very attractive suitors if he transfers, and he will likely start somewhere else.

It is dog eat dog out there.

This is why I absolutely hate the graduate transfer rule.

He chose UD over Illinois when he left Bradley.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 PM
General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I am not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but the stuff about only getting 10 or 15 minutes elsewhere /not starting elsewhere/limited possibilities elsewhere, etc. that others are posting is just not accurate.

JC might be first team all A10 this year, he will likely have many very attractive suitors if he transfers, and he will likely start somewhere else.

It is dog eat dog out there.

This is why I absolutely hate the graduate transfer rule.

He chose UD over Illinois when he left Bradley.
I get the feeling some are trying to talk themselves out of the possibility of him leaving
Old 02-12-2018, 06:37 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I get the feeling some are trying to talk themselves out of the possibility of him leaving
I just looked up JC's stats, he is averaging 17 and 9 per game. There is only 1 A10 player that has a better points and rebounds stats combination than that: Tillman from VCU is averaging 19 and 9.

Aldridge from Davidson is next closest at 20 and 7...7 rpg is worse than 9 rpg.

http://a10stats.com/sports/mbkb/2017...ew=&pos=sh&r=0
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (02-13-2018), rollo (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 PM
General

Chin Coleman an assistant at Illinois was an assistant at Bradley and the reason Cunningham went there despite being a top 100 guy with Power 5. He was a former head coach of the Mac Irvin Fire AAU team that Josh played on.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150401/SPORTS/150409934

Illinois was a place JC considered before he decided on Dayton and they've got a definite need for a big guy next year.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:28 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
OK, name one team in the country out of the limited number of teams that have a good potential for a deep tourney run. who Cunningham would not be an asset too?

Yes he wants to make a deep tourney run, which would be his only reason for thinking he needs to leave. Yes he wants to start and play a lot of minutes. Yes, there are a lot of coaches who may promise him that, and once the season start not follow through with said promise, thus he would be relegated to the 10 to 15 minutes off the bench role. Coachs lie you know.

Again, my money is on he is smart enough to stay put
This is getting tougher to respond to.

1. I never said anywhere that Josh wouldn't be an asset.
2. Of course coaches lie

The things he would likely consider are whether or not he would fit in. This cannot be overstated. So many professional teams add free agents who were great on their previous team and absolutely do not work out for their new team, sometimes it takes a few years, sometimes they are just gone after one. New scheme, new teammates, new coaches, new school, new friends, new expectations.

Now, weigh those things, adding in just the subset of schools that might actually be capable of making a deep run, that have needs that Josh can fill, take into consideration that there are other players in the same position as Josh who will also be available and drawing interest, and it's not a huge landing area. Now, weigh all the things that could go wrong against the fewer that could go right and against the current situation. I'm not saying he won't leave. I'm not saying there wouldn't be interest, I'm sure there absolutely would be. But if he is intent on playing college basketball for one more year, there's a lot of potential negatives to leaving for another school. How you weigh those against what's happening at UD, only Josh can do. And maybe he's done with college basketball anyway, and ready to try his hand at pro ball, somewhere overseas, G League, I don't know. That certainly provides an entirely different pathway for him.

I don't know Josh, I don't know what he might be thinking, I don't know whether or not he values any of the things I've listed or has different opinions on some or all of them. I just hope that if he is playing college ball next year, that he's doing it here.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Illinois was a place JC considered before he decided on Dayton and they've got a definite need for a big guy next year.
I think JC could take 3 years off from basketball to do a mission trip and Illinois would still need a big man, and JC would still be the best big man they could get on campus.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Just off the Jet

WarriorPride will become famous soon enoughWarriorPride will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I keep hearing this. Is there any meat behind it? I mean any quotes from people associated with Josh that he's considering it? After the season he's had and the roll he has, I think it would quite a gamble for him to go elsewhere. If Toppin can provide more help on the inside than he's gotten this season, it could mean an even more incredible season for him next year.

I am predicting he stays.
I have no info. Just a fan making an observation. If I'm in Josh's shoes, I'm certainly considering it. Certainly a risk leaving a known quantity. But from what I've seen, I don't think a return to the tournament next year is likely.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
I wouldn't even waste the keystrokes on Misearabledog07. He is just miserably unhappy...
Of course I'm unhappy. All our advantages in a mid major conference and we stunk this year. We have a large stable of uncompetiitive athletes. If we take this squad to Atlantis next year we will be embarrassed. Get them out and get better.

Toppin - wildcard?? Give me an f in break. He's going to sit out two straight years??? Svboda going to improve next year. He's beyond slow. That his main problem. You can't fix your tortoise! Mikesell coming back to save us. He was never very good before, rooting for him but betting against him being a difference maker. Crosby, the human turnover just must to go. Grant has a swamp that needs draining.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,607 Times in 694 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Of course I'm unhappy. All our advantages in a mid major conference and we stunk this year. We have a large stable of uncompetiitive athletes. If we take this squad to Atlantis next year we will be embarrassed. Get them out and get better.

Toppin - wildcard?? Give me an f in break. He's going to sit out two straight years??? Svboda going to improve next year. He's beyond slow. That his main problem. You can't fix your tortoise! Mikesell coming back to save us. He was never very good before, rooting for him but betting against him being a difference maker. Crosby, the human turnover just must to go. Grant has a swamp that needs draining.
Posted via Mobile Device
You and udscott are quite a miserable pair. Are you this negative in your daily life? Why are you a UD fan? If you hate the team so much, find another team that meets your irrational standards. Please become a Wright State fan and take your extreme negativity to Fairborn.
Mad Props to Monster Man For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Let's get back to the topic, where was X? Any Wayne people out there with an inside scoop?0
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Name one team in the country who Cunningham would not be an asset too, even if he was just coming off the bench playing 10 to 15 minutes per game. The guy is a stud, and put him on the floor with another skilled big man and look out.

Having said that, my $ says he stays at UD as he knows the talent is here for UD to get to the next level next season with our guard duo a year older, along a healthy Mikesell, eligible Toppin, and our lone recruit we have coming in so far.
My exact point. Why would he settle for paragraph one, when he could be THE MAN here, and a deeper team.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Let's get back to the topic, where was X? Any Wayne people out there with an inside scoop?0
I didn’t get to hear the whole show, but Coach Grant mentioned a couple things on his radio show tonight. He said the three guys who played at the forward spot (Cunningham, Trey, and Svoboda) were our most physical guys and he thought they gave us the best chance against Tillman, et al. He also mentioned that Xeyrius had lost some weight since the start of the year. Didn’t directly say it was from his back injury but he mentioned that.

I just wonder if his back is worse than we know and he’s trying to gut it out but some days just can’t.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (02-12-2018), Flyer 86 (02-16-2018), Radar (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Monster Man View Post
You and udscott are quite a miserable pair. Are you this negative in your daily life? Why are you a UD fan? If you hate the team so much, find another team that meets your irrational standards. Please become a Wright State fan and take your extreme negativity to Fairborn.
Negative or realistic? Maddog isn't a rainbows and butterflies kind of poster and I appreciate having some of that around.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
I'm a UD fan because I got my degree there and rabidly followed our team for decades.

Irrational standards? How about a winning record? How about a winning conference record? We should lose to Umass and their depleted team twice? Hofstra, Duquesne, Penn, Old Dominion. 1 and 7 on the road???? No semblance of defense. Our standards should be not to stink. We seat 13000 every night. We are on tv every game. The city supports the team like few others. We have resources no other school in our conference has, and some have pitifully little. We should never, ever stink. Especially against a lower level conference having a terrible year. And we should have a plan to get better fast. And unless we get rid of the low talent players we are carrying that won't happen.

But thanks for your intellectual questions. Hope you learned something about passion for excellence. Perhaps I would be more content if I settled for your seeming low expectations. But that's not my Flyer basketball.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

I seriously doubt X is gutting it out, we have a great med staff and they would be able to spot it if it were.

As for Mikesell his injury was known but how to correct it came after the season. He was able to play just not up to his capabilities. Now that it's corrected we will see if he can fit in AG system and be the spark we need.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:09 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Toppin - wildcard?? Give me an f in break. He's going to sit out two straight years???
Posted via Mobile Device
I think this might be in reference to where I called Toppin a wildcard to return because of academics. A guy who didn’t qualify out of high school is presumably a greater risk of being an academic casualty. Now, I have no idea how he is actually doing in the classroom (hopefully great!) but if we are identifying reasons guys might not return, that seems like a plausible circumstance. But I am not sure where the sitting 2 years thing comes from. I said he could always go play for a JUCO. And he could do that without sitting out a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2018, 11:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I highly doubt this staff and the school as a whole would allow Toppin to fail and not be academically ready for next year. I would think they would pull out all of the stops to make sure that doesn't happen.

As for X, I feel like if it was a serious back issue that the medical staff would have shut him down completely for a set amount of time instead of trying to keep bringing him back and it never has time to get better. That's why I think AG is not particularly fond of him and it has nothing to do with injury. Or at least if it is an injury, its one AG thinks he should be able to play through and when he says he can't it might anger AG to the point where he just doesn't trust him any longer.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-16-2018), jack72 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:31 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
I think this might be in reference to where I called Toppin a wildcard to return because of academics. A guy who didn’t qualify out of high school is presumably a greater risk of being an academic casualty. Now, I have no idea how he is actually doing in the classroom (hopefully great!) but if we are identifying reasons guys might not return, that seems like a plausible circumstance. But I am not sure where the sitting 2 years thing comes from. I said he could always go play for a JUCO. And he could do that without sitting out a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I was wondering what the heck he was talking about. Has UD ever had a player not make the floor two years in row because of academics? I don't remember any. I'm guessing they do some evaluation prior to handing them a scholarship and don't just assume that anyone will catch up sitting one year.

Also, if an academic redshirt isn't meeting the requirements layed out for him, would they still allow him to be on the bench during home games?

Last edited by Smitty10; 02-12-2018 at 11:33 PM..
Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
I didn’t get to hear the whole show, but Coach Grant mentioned a couple things on his radio show tonight. He said the three guys who played at the forward spot (Cunningham, Trey, and Svoboda) were our most physical guys and he thought they gave us the best chance against Tillman, et al. He also mentioned that Xeyrius had lost some weight since the start of the year. Didn’t directly say it was from his back injury but he mentioned that.

I just wonder if his back is worse than we know and he’s trying to gut it out but some days just can’t.
Posted via Mobile Device
I heard that as well about the weight loss and made me wonder if there was something else going on medically in addition to the back issues.
Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:35 PM

I thought that a player could only take advantage of the graduate transfer rule if the player wanted to pursue a graduate program of study that was not offered at their current school?

And I did not realize that the graduate transfer rule has only been around for about 5 years. I thought it was a longer period of time.

Here is a short article with comments from d1 coaches that covers both sides of this issue.

http://dailyorange.com/2017/02/gradu...mplementation/
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 PM

Yes, the player has to want to pursue a graduate program of study at the new school, that is not offered at the current school.

In practice, it seems that for whatever reason, this is an easy technicality to get around.

I do not think that I have ever heard of a graduate transfer being denied by the NCAA.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...fer-division-i:

This so-called “graduate transfer” rule was intended to assist academically high-achieving students in pursuing a degree of interest that may not be offered at their undergraduate college. But it has become controversial in football and men’s basketball due to high-profile cases and as data have emerged showing that many transfers in those two sports earn few graduate credits and leave school when their athletics eligibility expires.

Last edited by ud2; 02-12-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 AM
General

I can absolutely buy that there's likely a lot going on with X we don't know medically. The school has proven to be secretive about injuries.

I have trouble squaring it with him getting called for a sore throat and not practicing. That's a pretty severe call out. Maybe I'm interpreting this the wrong way but I basically see that as the staff saying he's Charmin soft. To put that out there in public is a direct shot at X.

This whole thing is really strange.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-13-2018), Flyer 86 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
The above info should end this thread.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:16 AM
General

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
How does that square with the call out?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
That interpretation of coach speak tells us no more than we now know. What should end this thread is none of us have any idea what is going on with X's back, head or effort, and we may only sort of find out after the season.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-13-2018), Flyer 86 (02-16-2018), Flyer14 (02-13-2018), jumpin' joe (02-13-2018), OSU Flyer (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
First things first, we all know the grad transfer rule in basketball and football is being used by kids for one reason and one reason only 99% of the time, and that is to switch universities to play sports. Academics aren't driving this. But let's dig in further...

This so-called “graduate transfer” rule was intended to assist academically high-achieving students in pursuing a degree of interest that may not be offered at their undergraduate college. But it has become controversial in football and men’s basketball due to high-profile cases and as data have emerged showing that many transfers in those two sports earn few graduate credits and leave school when their athletics eligibility expires.
That was essentially the original thought behind it, but the problem here is that no two graduate programs are the same. Say your current school has a very average grad program in the field you want to pursue. It's perfectly reasonable to assume you might wish to pursue your grad degree from a higher regarded program. Once you have completed your undergrad, it's really a whole new evaluation and admission process.

the player has to want to pursue a graduate program of study at the new school, that is not offered at the current school.
What you describe above was never more than the motivating scenario for the rule. But there are a million scenarios, including the one I mentioned previously (higher ranking program). Two programs offering the same degree will have different curriculum, different professors, different alumni bases, differing access to employment opportunities, etc. If you are on the east coast, but ultimately want to pursue employment on the west coast, it could behoove you to get your grad degree on the west coast, as it may open more doors there. But basically, all you have to say on your application, is "I like this graduate school the best." It's an inarguable claim.

In practice, it seems that for whatever reason, this is an easy technicality to get around.

I do not think that I have ever heard of a graduate transfer being denied by the NCAA.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...fer-division-i:
It's easy to get around because it was a poorly thought out rule in the first place. You can't treat all grad schools as equal because they are not. If you are going to allow a graduate transfer, you can't restrict it based on someone choosing a program not offered at their current school. That's ridiculous and unfair criteria. So that is why grad transfers aren't denied under the current rule.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
So I got a red pip for this post. I could care less about the red pip but the explanation left me scratching my follicle challenged scalp. The explanation was: "Your personal attacks are not needed."

Can the person that red-pipped me explain that one? Where is the personal attack???
Old 02-15-2018, 02:12 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,607 Times in 694 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
So I got a red pip for this post. I could care less about the red pip but the explanation left me scratching my follicle challenged scalp. The explanation was: "Your personal attacks are not needed."

Can the person that red-pipped me explain that one? Where is the personal attack???
My guess is zmz723. Tends to read and interpret things that are not there with a lot of posts.