UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Duquesne Win

Just when you think this team is in crash and burn, they pull out an unbelievable performance.

I heard one UD Assistant describe the game plan before the game. UD executed the game plan to perfection. Duquesne plays physical defense and they wanted to keep the score low. That did not work out. UD won some 50/50 balls and outrebounded the taller Dukes.

UD wins when they shoot lights out and outscore the opposition. They can't that every night, but when they get hot they blow out St. Bonaventure, VCU and now Duquesne.

I see one pattern. The UD team has some quickness. When teams overplay on defense, the UD players beat the defense and create lots of scoring opportunities with open players. The number of assists and dunks were outstanding.

In my opinion, if you want to beat UD, DON'T overplay. Play straight up and don't let the half court offense beat you to the basket. The only team to overplay and get away with it has been Rhode Island. What do I mean by overplay? Try to deny passes and passing lanes and pressure the guards intensely. When Crutcher handles the pressure the other team pays big time.

The stats from the game were stunning. UD shot 83% from the field in the second half. You better win the game with that shooting.

I also thought coaching moves were very good and interesting. Anthony substituted much earlier in the first half. The subs did not hurt the team and the team held their own during the last four minutes of the first half. I liked that substitution pattern. Interesting that Williams did not play. Crosby actually held his own. I don't think Matej or Kostas hurt the team either. I would love to see the +- for each play. Easier to substitute when those guys don't hurt you.

I also thought Anthony called timeouts at the right time. Maybe he got the timeout memo from the message board.

The offense was the fastest and most crisp all year. The ball movement and team motion was exceptionally good. There were some dumb traveling calls late in the first half, otherwise the turnovers were acceptable. 25 assists on 31 baskets. Jordan Davis broke out of his shooting slump in a big way. Maybe his best complete game as a Flyer.

The defense is getting more physical. Less open shots than early in the year. The team is now a man to man team. They still give up some dribble penetration, especially in the first half. Duquesne shot some long and off balance 3s. They have some good outside shooters. That kept them in the game. Otherwise, played had defense. Nowhere close to perfect but much challenging.

Great individual and team efforts. I wish this team was not red hot one night and totally flat the next, but they are young.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 02-07-2018 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: add 83% shooting in the second half
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-08-2018), CE80 (02-08-2018), mikeymo85 (02-08-2018), steverino015 (02-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (02-07-2018), ud2 (02-07-2018)
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2018, 11:03 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
On WHIO after the game it was mentioned that X Williams had a sore throat one day this week. At practice he told the coaches he couldn't play that day due to the sore throat. So he didn't practice.

As a result ... he most likely didn't play tonight.

This is how I heard it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to marco red eagle For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-08-2018), SeasonTicketFan (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:05 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't believe one bit of injury news coming from WHIO/DDN or the school anymore
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (02-07-2018), flyerfanatic86 (02-08-2018), Radar (02-08-2018), rollo (02-08-2018), steverino015 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:25 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I don't believe one bit of injury news coming from WHIO/DDN or the school anymore
The XW news came from Nate Green on Flyer Feedback. He attends practices. He said you don't sit out practice with a sore throat. He further intimated that XW is causing problems in the locker room with his attitude. Nate was not at all surprised that XW didn't get into the game tonight.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sid Louick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-08-2018), jack72 (02-08-2018), MrFlyerFanatic (02-08-2018), steverino015 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:25 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
I agree great win tonight, zero complaints !
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-08-2018), Flyer 86 (02-08-2018), MNFats (02-08-2018), OSU Flyer (02-07-2018), ud2 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:34 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Sid Louick View Post
The XW news came from Nate Green on Flyer Feedback. He attends practices. He said you don't sit out practice with a sore throat. He further intimated that XW is causing problems in the locker room with his attitude. Nate was not at all surprised that XW didn't get into the game tonight.
Great
Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
It would be nice to win a game when we don't have to shoot 60% in the game in order to win.

It is remarkable how many games this year we have had when we have just been on fire for a long stretch. If the defense had been there all year, this could've been a much better season.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-07-2018), ud2 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:59 PM
General

Deflating news about X
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 12:10 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear about X's attitude. Sounds like he might need what I like to call a “Cranial Rectalectomy”. Use your imagination.

Glad to know that Coach isn't putting up with it. He’s got enough problems this season. He doesn’t need problem children.

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 02-08-2018 at 12:33 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-08-2018), Radar (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 01:15 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Sorry to hear about X's attitude. Sounds like he might need what I like to call a “Cranial Rectalectomy”. Use your imagination.

Glad to know that Coach isn't putting up with it. He’s got enough problems this season. He doesn’t need problem children.
This is the problem when you change coaches and systems. Add on that the NCAA doesn't wave the transfer rule for change of coaches and you're going to get this kind of stuff.

AG needed everyone possible to return. He didn't have time to go find what he really wanted. And I'm guessing he did a sell job on all of them with the only concern being keeping them. Juniors and Seniors get the short end of the stick especially because they now have to weight sitting a year or taking a chance with a coach they had no choice in. AG isn't looking at all of them as players he can fit into his system, he's looking at some of them as place holders. You can't really blame AG because if he was being completely honest with them as far as fitting into what he's really looking for there's the risk of not being able to field a real D1 basketball team.

It's just not a good situation all around. I think the NCAA needs to wave the rule under these circumstances. This way coaches can be more honest with the players he might inherit and also there will be a bigger pool of players from other teams that have coaching changes to fill his roster with.

I just can't fully blame a player for having his college career turned upside down due to things outside his control. I'm not blaming AG either, I blame the NCAA for not having a rule that states that a change in coaching allows a player to transfer and become immediately eligible to play.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:14 AM
General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This is the problem when you change coaches and systems. Add on that the NCAA doesn't wave the transfer rule for change of coaches and you're going to get this kind of stuff.

AG needed everyone possible to return. He didn't have time to go find what he really wanted. And I'm guessing he did a sell job on all of them with the only concern being keeping them. Juniors and Seniors get the short end of the stick especially because they now have to weight sitting a year or taking a chance with a coach they had no choice in. AG isn't looking at all of them as players he can fit into his system, he's looking at some of them as place holders. You can't really blame AG because if he was being completely honest with them as far as fitting into what he's really looking for there's the risk of not being able to field a real D1 basketball team.

It's just not a good situation all around. I think the NCAA needs to wave the rule under these circumstances. This way coaches can be more honest with the players he might inherit and also there will be a bigger pool of players from other teams that have coaching changes to fill his roster with.

I just can't fully blame a player for having his college career turned upside down due to things outside his control. I'm not blaming AG either, I blame the NCAA for not having a rule that states that a change in coaching allows a player to transfer and become immediately eligible to play.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...icks-up-steam/
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
"UD wins when they shoot lights out and outscore the opposition."

As opposed to other teams that win even when they do not out score the opposition.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (02-08-2018), TA111 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of

I agree with your sentiments here. It’s crap that a coach can go wherever they want whenever they want, but players are penalized for transferring . That said, I see a potential opportunity for growth on the players‘ parts. If college basketball is really supposed to “prepare you for things later on in life, “ what happens later when these “student athletes “ get a new boss in the working world? That manager more than likely has some different ideas or a different... system/way of doing things . I wish mentors of these players talk about how this is an opportunity to learn to adapt to the best of their ability. Consequently, when they are sitting in an interview and asked a question about how that individual handles Situations when things go awry, They can lean on their college basketball experience, point to this exact situation, and have a great story to tell. *Yes, I realize I’m talking like a 30 something who’s been through these kinds of things a couple times, hence my mention of mentorship.*
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
How about making them sit out a year after transferring, but then giving them a 6th year of eligibility, if needed.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 AM
General

The other thing to consider is that maybe it takes going through preseason practice and games before a player realizes the new coaching regime isn't for him.

It's one thing to talk to a new coach after he's hired with the limit contact in the spring and summer. It's another to go through the real grind in the fall
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
The other thing to consider is that maybe it takes going through preseason practice and games before a player realizes the new coaching regime isn't for him.

It's one thing to talk to a new coach after he's hired with the limit contact in the spring and summer. It's another to go through the real grind in the fall
Yes, that is true. Even the coach who recruited you out of high school may end up being a totally different person once you get on campus in the fall.

I read a story about ex-Bowling Green hc Dan Dakich: he was super-nice, polite, respectful, etc. to the player and his parents during the recruiting process. Once the player arrived on campus in the fall though, he found out that DD was a meaner, tougher taskmaster.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Just when you think this team is in crash and burn, they pull out an unbelievable performance.

I heard one UD Assistant describe the game plan before the game. UD executed the game plan to perfection. Duquesne plays physical defense and they wanted to keep the score low. That did not work out. UD won some 50/50 balls and outrebounded the taller Dukes.

UD wins when they shoot lights out and outscore the opposition. They can't that every night, but when they get hot they blow out St. Bonaventure, VCU and now Duquesne.

I see one pattern. The UD team has some quickness. When teams overplay on defense, the UD players beat the defense and create lots of scoring opportunities with open players. The number of assists and dunks were outstanding.

In my opinion, if you want to beat UD, DON'T overplay. Play straight up and don't let the half court offense beat you to the basket. The only team to overplay and get away with it has been Rhode Island. What do I mean by overplay? Try to deny passes and passing lanes and pressure the guards intensely. When Crutcher handles the pressure the other team pays big time.

The stats from the game were stunning. UD shot 83% from the field in the second half. You better win the game with that shooting.

I also thought coaching moves were very good and interesting. Anthony substituted much earlier in the first half. The subs did not hurt the team and the team held their own during the last four minutes of the first half. I liked that substitution pattern. Interesting that Williams did not play. Crosby actually held his own. I don't think Matej or Kostas hurt the team either. I would love to see the +- for each play. Easier to substitute when those guys don't hurt you.

I also thought Anthony called timeouts at the right time. Maybe he got the timeout memo from the message board.

The offense was the fastest and most crisp all year. The ball movement and team motion was exceptionally good. There were some dumb traveling calls late in the first half, otherwise the turnovers were acceptable. 25 assists on 31 baskets. Jordan Davis broke out of his shooting slump in a big way. Maybe his best complete game as a Flyer.

The defense is getting more physical. Less open shots than early in the year. The team is now a man to man team. They still give up some dribble penetration, especially in the first half. Duquesne shot some long and off balance 3s. They have some good outside shooters. That kept them in the game. Otherwise, played had defense. Nowhere close to perfect but much challenging.

Great individual and team efforts. I wish this team was not red hot one night and totally flat the next, but they are young.
Had UD just made 2-3 of the 5 missed bunnies/layups in the first half this game would have been as close to perfect as they can play. The Dukes hit multiple tough,defended 3's with the shot clock almost at zero last night where some of the UD players got caught in some screens but most of the game they fought harder defensively thru screens, switched off, and were more vocal than at any time I've seen them this year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 AM
2nd Lieutenant

GoSteelers is on a distinguished road
The news also came in the pregame when Larry and Bucky noted the same information and stated they weren't sure if XW would play.

BTW, if you haven't heard, the flu is going around. I wouldn't want a sick XW anywhere near the rest of the team if he was sick. Maybe he was sent home as a precaution. And if I am XW, I am frustrated with this season. Injuries and losing don't bring happiness to a competitive spirit. How good a source is Nate Green on locker room attitudes if he sees it once or twice?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
One of my favorite things I have heard from an old coach, "There are two things you can control, your effort and your attitude. Even if you are having a bad day you can still control these two things."
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM
General

Did X not dress for the game?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Did X not dress for the game?
Posted via Mobile Device
He dressed, but never sniffed the court for playing time....or appeared to look like he was interested. When the situation (breather or foul trouble presented itself for XW being the likely substitute, it was Matej. Another observation is that Pierce and XW seem to gravitate toward each other during warmups/timeouts. Draw your own conclusions...
Old 02-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyerferd View Post
I agree with your sentiments here. It’s crap that a coach can go wherever they want whenever they want, but players are penalized for transferring . That said, I see a potential opportunity for growth on the players‘ parts. If college basketball is really supposed to “prepare you for things later on in life, “ what happens later when these “student athletes “ get a new boss in the working world? That manager more than likely has some different ideas or a different... system/way of doing things . I wish mentors of these players talk about how this is an opportunity to learn to adapt to the best of their ability. Consequently, when they are sitting in an interview and asked a question about how that individual handles Situations when things go awry, They can lean on their college basketball experience, point to this exact situation, and have a great story to tell. *Yes, I realize I’m talking like a 30 something who’s been through these kinds of things a couple times, hence my mention of mentorship.*
Posted via Mobile Device
This is just way too logical. Seems obvious, and for those of us that have been through the trenches, we can relate. It's tough for 20 year olds to relate to this, however. There needs to be supporting personnel within the program and the player's family/internal circle that are trusted who can share these examples and experiences.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
wow .... and I thought just millennials were snowflakes.....
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 12:14 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyerferd View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't agree with that at all. For the skill set of players that UD gets, or at least that AM brought in here, basketball is another major for them. They chose their college based on a number of factors, but getting a paying job playing basketball after they're finished is one of them. If a student looking for another career doesn't like other aspects of the school, they can transfer without having to sit out of the classroom for a year. These players and their families take picking the right situation very seriously and the biggest factor in their choice is playing for the right system and coach. They shouldn't have something as huge as having to extend their college stay an extra year based on the luck of if your chosen coach stays or goes.

Not only that, it's a win/win situation for all involved. We'd see better basketball as a whole because coaches will be playing from the start with players that fit their system.

A lot posters here feel that AM's recruiting of talent diminished here the last few years. What I haven't heard is why that would be. Maybe it's because his name kept popping up as a top choice for bigger basketball programs as soon as he had his first real success in the 2013-2014 season. I wonder how many recruits liked the thought of playing for coach Miller but also didn't want to take the chance of having the rug pulled out from under them with having him move on after one or two or three seasons. Yes, it could happen anywhere but since his name moved quickly as a top 5 coach to be moving up, the odds increased for him. Those players probably would have been willing to take that chance if they knew they could transfer and not miss a year of basketball if he indeed moved on.

Having raw talent that could be molded by the right coach/system into a professional basketball career shouldn't be derailed by a change in coach/system with the thought of what a wonderful real life experience that would be.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TommyGola (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I completely agree with your suggestion but do believe something needs to be done. Obviously any kid can transfer and gets five years to play 4.

Working on the premise that I'd rather a kid stick around for a year to see what it is like rather than jump just because a new coach is hired, it really just impacts incoming Jr's and Sr's. A kid with only one year left has to sell a school to burn 2 scholarship years for one year of playing. Assuming there truly is a disconnect between the coach and player, a kid like Williams or Crosby does the right thing and sticks around for a year, he is penalized for doing so. Trey Landers (as a sophomore) can offer two years of playing time for three years scholarship burn. That is a much more palatable option for a coach recruiting a transfer.

Perhaps the best solution is the kid still needs to sit out a year ( to minimize how often it happens) but the year he sits out isn't counted against the new schools 13 scholarship allotment? I'm sure some programs would try to game the system so cap it to one per year.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
A lot posters here feel that AM's recruiting of talent diminished here the last few years. What I haven't heard is why that would be.
It was well known throughout the team/AD office that Archie promised the 2017 Seniors that he would stay thru their Senior year but no promises were made beyond that. My AD contact was well aware of this and had no expectation that Archie would be here beyond that. Archie was true to his word, and UD was not caught off guard...but recruiting did take a hit as this 'rumor' I'm certain was used against us.
Flyer 86 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM
General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
It was well known throughout the team/AD office that Archie promised the 2017 Seniors that he would stay thru their Senior year but no promises were made beyond that. My AD contact was well aware of this and had no expectation that Archie would be here beyond that. Archie was true to his word, and UD was not caught off guard...but recruiting did take a hit as this 'rumor' I'm certain was used against us.
Well then, to expand on that these rules also encourage coaches to strike early while the iron is still hot. Getting moved up to elite status as a coach that is highly sought after means that your time window gets smaller if your ability to land the best possible recruits diminishes. I just don't see how any of this is good for anyone. Lot's of players playing in systems that they don't fit into and new coaches unable to quickly get a team together that fits their system means extended years of bad fits and bad basketball. Coaches feeling that they need to leave asap after moving up the ladder of potential power conference coaches makes these disruptions happen quicker and more frequently.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
He dressed, but never sniffed the court for playing time....or appeared to look like he was interested. When the situation (breather or foul trouble presented itself for XW being the likely substitute, it was Matej. Another observation is that Pierce and XW seem to gravitate toward each other during warmups/timeouts. Draw your own conclusions...
I couldn't remember the recent thread, but last night I paid special attention to see which players (if any) were kicking-back on the bench, with their arms spread across the chairs next to them, like they'd rather be anywhere but at The Arena. I noticed 1 player in particular exhibiting that behavior; a player who's been mentioned by reputable sources (including one with 47 years of experience broadcasting UD basketball) as having attitude issues. If there's more than 1 pea in that pod, then yes, some conclusions might be drawn...