Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
"One and Dones" To Begin Snubbing NCAA in Favor of Europe?

Interesting article about the best high school players (ones that would in the past go straight to the NBA) skipping NCAA ball to play in Europe. What are your thoughts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?s...yhoo&type=lgns
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
They can go wherever they want to as far as I am concerned. David Stern copped out with the one year rule. It should either be at least two years - to require them to be somewhat serious about college - or let them go to the NBA right out of high school. With the one year rule, these guys don't even have to study, and they probably don't even have to go to classes the second semester. I disagree with this guy's statement, though, that the NCAA would sell its soul for talent and is therefore accepting these guys. What else can they do - refuse to admit them?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Me too ltf

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
With the one year rule, these guys don't even have to study, and they probably don't even have to go to classes the second semester.
Man, it's tough to even know where to start with this subject. But your statement sure hits one issue right on the nose. Maybe they should have to achieve passing grades the one year they are there. Naw, that won't fly.

Another issue is the system steers a 17/18 year-old to Foreign Leagues that feature no counseling, no study regiment, language barriers, older bachelor teammates---- oh, wait, that's college .

I don't know the answers but the system is broken.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
It's a very interesting situation. I'm not sure where I stand for sure. I originally thought that they should be seniors to jump to the NBA, but then I read an article which made a little sense to me. It was a comment from a basketball player (not sure if he was pro, or freshman before draft) that said that tennis players can go pro at 14, why can't basketball players go pro right out of high school? What about hockey players, they can go pro right out of high school can't they? (think Crosby?)

I was curious to go through the NBA rosters and see how the current players (before this years draft) made it into the NBA. High school, college non-graduates, college graduates, non-draftees, foreign players, etc. I haven't had the time to do the research yet.

John
Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
It's a very interesting situation. I'm not sure where I stand for sure. I originally thought that they should be seniors to jump to the NBA, but then I read an article which made a little sense to me. It was a comment from a basketball player (not sure if he was pro, or freshman before draft) that said that tennis players can go pro at 14, why can't basketball players go pro right out of high school? What about hockey players, they can go pro right out of high school can't they? (think Crosby?)
Also baseball has high school seniors jumping to the pros vs going to college. I think the answer of why not basketball players is...there is no real established minor league system for the players. Baseball has numerous minor league levels, rookie leagues, low A, high A, AA, AAA, etc. Hockey has the ECHL, AHL, and several junior leagues in Canada. Not sure about tennis.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Football is also a great joke. Guys have average careers of about 4 or 5 years yet have to beat their bodies to a pulp by playing college whether they like it or not.

Are most HS seniors ready for the NFL? No way. But that's up to them to decide.

The NBA owners made this rule for one reason only: to save themselves from themselves. No one wanted to be remembered as the guy that didn't draft Kobe or Kevin, so even if they were convinced the guy was going to be a bust the fans would scream for the guy's head if they didn't draft the HS senior. But GM's couldn't afford more Kwame Brown's.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Brigadier General

The Chef will become famous soon enoughThe Chef will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
The NBA owners made this rule for one reason only: to save themselves from themselves.
Bingo! This rule was not put into force for virtuous reasons. The sad part of this is that these GM's and owners still cannot help themselves. How many of the seven froshes that were taken in the first 15 picks do you expect to live up to their selection? I say two, and the two that actually do thrive may surprise us.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Captain

UDFLYERS2K is on a distinguished road
The current system does not work and it makes a joke of the NCAA. The NBA has gotten lucky so far with the Oden/Durant sweepstakes of 2007 but that isn't likely to happen very often. They have already tried allowing high school kids to jump directly into the NBA and that didn't work either. So the only logical solution is to require two years of college (or two years removed from high school). Kids that do not want to go attend, or don't qualify for college, can take their game to Europe or the D-League.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:44 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDFLYERS2K View Post
The current system does not work and it makes a joke of the NCAA. The NBA has gotten lucky so far with the Oden/Durant sweepstakes of 2007 but that isn't likely to happen very often. They have already tried allowing high school kids to jump directly into the NBA and that didn't work either. So the only logical solution is to require two years of college (or two years removed from high school). Kids that do not want to go attend, or don't qualify for college, can take their game to Europe or the D-League.

How about letting them go to the NBA but requiring them to attend mandatory (meaning game suspensions for skipping) education classes on:
1. Finances - and maybe require 50% of their rookie salary to be placed in trust
2. Birth control
3. Counseling about how people try to "use" famous people
4. What life on the road is like and how to stay out of trouble
5. And finally all players under 21 must travel with a team-provided chaperone

Would you take that deal or go to college for a year and risk injury?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I don't understand several things:

1. Why does declaring for the nba draft mean you have to forego your college eligibility? Can you imagine an accountant trying to get a real job after only two years of college, realizing it was a bad idea, and then not being permitted to go back to college to be an accountant? Gimme a break. I can understand that hiring an agent is a deal breaker, but the league should at the very least have some sort of 'court-appointed' professionals to guide amateurs through this process without having to burn away their eligibility.

2. Why on earth should a kid HAVE to go to college if he wants to be a pro ballplayer? It's ludicrous. Do you have to go to college one year to be an entrepreneur or electrician? No. You seek out opportunities in life and you jump at them. Whether the kid pans out in the NBA should be up to the NBA teams to deal with. It's their gamble.

3. Why can't the NBA set up a system similar to the NHL or MLB where they draft the rights to kids in high school and those kids can still go on to play in college? What's the difference? Why is the NBA different? We don't have minimum ages for kids to turn pro in tennis or golf.

4. If someone wants to declare themselves for the draft, they should be able to do it at 13, 15, 18 or 46 years of age. It's up the the teams to determine if they're worth the investment.

5. To me, it ruins the idea of college basketball to inject kids into it for one year. They show up, blow off school and leave. And lots of other recruits who are interested in a real college experience are caught in the middle of the mayhem. Being over-recruited, or forced to transfer, etc. In a way, the rule helps smaller schools like UD, but i think it hurts the NCAA overall. There should be no college requirement for a kid to enter the draft.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Captain

Flyer_Tom is a splendid one to beholdFlyer_Tom is a splendid one to beholdFlyer_Tom is a splendid one to beholdFlyer_Tom is a splendid one to beholdFlyer_Tom is a splendid one to beholdFlyer_Tom is a splendid one to beholdFlyer_Tom is a splendid one to behold
Possible Solution

It seems to me one solid solution here is the following. Allow the high school kids who think they are good enough to declare for the draft. Allow them to be drafted by NBA teams BUT they then have to attend college for 2 years. The NBA picks up tuition and maybe some type of stipend for these kids. The advantage here is these kids can get insured so if they hurt themselves in college they can get paid. They get 2 years to develop and the schools get 2 years of top notch players. Lets face facts these 1 and done kids are not going to class so why continue with the charade? It has a few kinks to work out but it just seems to me everyone wins in this situation.

Tom R
Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
1. Why does declaring for the nba draft mean you have to forego your college eligibility?
This one has a caveat that says if you hire an agent and declare for the draft, it is irreversable. But if you don't hire an agent, you can change your mind. I believe you can reverse up to the day before the draft and go back to college and play ball without hiring an agent.

What they are trying to avoid is the situation where an agent has advanced money to the player and the player either doesn't get selected, or he changes his mind--but in either case he goes back to college with a pocket full of Benjamins.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
San Diego:
Why not let them go back to college the day after the draft?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Brigadier General

Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Terry, that's my point too. If they didn't hire an agent, and they stay in the draft without being drafted, why do they lose their college eligibility? Why should they have to withdraw their name from the draft at all?

And couldn't the league provide some service to these kids that want to test the waters? You know, give them some sort of professional representation and guidance so they can avoid the need to hire an agent? Similar to how someone on trial is given a court-appointed attorney. Granted, not the best legal counsel money can buy, but definitely a professional that can guide you through the process and protect you from yourself.

I just don't see why declaring for the draft needs to be the educational equivalent of jumping off a cliff. If the ncaa TRULY has the student athlete's best interest at heart, they would work to make it easier for kids to come back to school.

High school baseball and hockey players get 'drafted' all the time and go on to play in college like normal people. What's the difference in the NBA? And why on earth can't someone in this country apply for a job that they want? That's basically what's happening here. They are being denied the opportunity to apply for a job. A job, mind you, that really has no REAL age requirements. Every limitation the NBA and NCAA sets up and imposes is purely artificial. If a person thinks they can play nba basketball at the age of 16, they should be allowed to try. And if a franchise picks a kid that's a bust, that's their own problem.

Last edited by Flyer'95; 06-30-2008 at 10:38 PM..
Old 06-30-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
San Diego:
Why not let them go back to college the day after the draft?

Might be workable Terry. Good question for the David Stern people in the NBA. There are a lot of anomalies in this draft process that are questionable. I don't have the answer.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
if a player declares for the draft but doesn't hire an agent, he can return to college IF he isn't drafted. randolph morris of kentucky did exactly that. he was suspended for 14 games, but that's because he did not give proper notification that he intended to return to kentucky if he wasn't drafted. this actually isn't that bad of a deal. a week after kentucky lost in the ncaa tournament, he was able to be picked up as a free agent, and i believe he played for the knicks. he didn't even have to wait for the draft. it is legal, though. you can come back to school if you give proper notice, go undrafted, and don't hire an agent. what you can't do (and why so many people drop out before the deadline) is get drafted and say you've changed your mind.

it's my belief that the nba wanted this rule because college basketball markets the young players better than anything else. when lebron and kobe and people like that declared for the draft, it created a big buzz because it was unique. in recent years, though, most general fans didn't even know who the high school players were because they hadn't seen them play. everyone saw kevin durante, greg oden, derrick rose, beasley, and several others. that brings more excitement to a team. it also makes for a better game because they're generally better after a year of college than they were coming right out of high school. i believe they actually wanted it to be two years instead of one, but didn't think it would pass right away. i believe that it will be two years very soon.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
How about letting them go to the NBA but requiring them to attend mandatory (meaning game suspensions for skipping) education classes on:
1. Finances - and maybe require 50% of their rookie salary to be placed in trust
2. Birth control
3. Counseling about how people try to "use" famous people
4. What life on the road is like and how to stay out of trouble
5. And finally all players under 21 must travel with a team-provided chaperone

Would you take that deal or go to college for a year and risk injury?
there is a rookie camp that is required where they deal with things such as finance and staying out of trouble and lawsuits and pregnancy and prenumptial agreements and things like that, but it's not during the season. as for chaperones, good luck getting that past the players union. it would be laughed right out of the building.

one thing that i think will change is the amount of guaranteed money first round draftees get. players who have never played in the nba, and may not even earn a roster spot in their second year, are making more money than someone who went undrafted (like a brob, for instance), yet made an nba team, has been in the league, and has contributed, but is not making as much money because there isn't enough left after they pay the new guys what they're required to. there are a lot of players out there that probably want to see that changed. the fact that you can't make so much money so quickly might entice players to stay in school a bit longer.

one thing that i'd like to see on the college level is that there be a lawyer on every div1 campus that gives free consultation and representation to athletes who are looking to sign with an agent. in addition to that, they could offer consultation to players who are caught up in ncaa infractions. i think that would make a huge difference. whenever an agent comes to campus or contacts you, tell them to they need to see the lawyer. i think that would help keep the university on its best behavior as well.

Last edited by xubrew; 06-30-2008 at 11:48 PM..
Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Brigadier General

The Chef will become famous soon enoughThe Chef will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
if a player declares for the draft but doesn't hire an agent, he can return to college IF he isn't drafted. randolph morris of kentucky did exactly that. he was suspended for 14 games, but that's because he did not give proper notification that he intended to return to kentucky if he wasn't drafted. this actually isn't that bad of a deal. a week after kentucky lost in the ncaa tournament, he was able to be picked up as a free agent, and i believe he played for the knicks. he didn't even have to wait for the draft. it is legal, though. you can come back to school if you give proper notice, go undrafted, and don't hire an agent. what you can't do (and why so many people drop out before the deadline) is get drafted and say you've changed your mind.
brew is right. Players can return to college if they are not drafted provided they do not hire an agent. It's typically players who are projected as second rounders who withdraw their names before the draft.

But, there's even more to the story than that in my view. Collegiate athletics eligibility and scholarships are not owed to these players, they are privleges bestowed on them. The foregoing of this eligibility should not be taken lightly, and the NCAA is right to have that threat on these players in my view. Removing that barrier simply would make any risk associated with such a choice go completely away. Also, the concept of amateurism is still an important one for the integrity of the game. While surely not pure with respect to the ideal, if only the pretense of amateurism remains in college basketball, the sport will fail on its own weight.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Why is basketball so different than baseball?? We've had kids go to pro baseball and fail and go back to college and play football on scholarship. How did this get so diversified from sport to sport?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Brigadier General

Chef, i understand your POV, but to me a player is still an amateur if he's not getting paid to play the game. And, considering that the students are actually getting an education, room and board and a little stipend beyond that, i'd say the word 'amateur' is a little bit of a misnomer as well. They're not 'amateurs' the way you and i are amateurs. The NCAA benefits from these kids tremendously. I'm not saying that the kids should be paid. But i am saying that they should be free to determine if they can make the nba without the punishment of giving up all that they have forever.

If i'm a sophomore in pre-med and i drop out to try to get a job as some sort of healthcare technician, it doesn't forever surrender my right to be a doctor. I understand the ncaa's worries about kids testing the waters constantly and coaches worried about dealing with recruiting problems. But to me, the one year rule only makes that worse. You've got the major schools constantly recruiting for the carmelo anthony's of the world instead of searching for kids who are going to do well and intend to give college an actual shot.

I think kids should be allowed to declare at any age and the risks and rewards should fall all on the nba. If a kid gets drafted and paid by the nba, then his status to play in college should be revoked forever. But if he doesn't get drafted, what harm has he really done? I just think the ncaa or the nba should have some support for those kids that don't want to hire agents but don't want to get screwed over by the process either.

Right now, the kids get the short end of this whole deal. The ncaa benefits from more star power by requiring kids who have no interest in college to be on campus. The ncaa is acting as a sneak-preview of the nba to casual hoops fans instead of being about truly being interested in 'student-athletes' as they claim to be. There are kids who simply don't want to, don't need to, and have no desire to go to college. So why is it being forced on them? It's not good for the teams and kids they play with, it's not good for the school to have kids who show up and never go to class and make a mockery of the whole thing. But it is good for ratings.

Meanwhile, the nba gets to watch kids play at a high level with no risk or cost to them. It all works out for them.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

Right now, the kids get the short end of this whole deal. The ncaa benefits from more star power by requiring kids who have no interest in college to be on campus. The ncaa is acting as a sneak-preview of the nba to casual hoops fans instead of being about truly being interested in 'student-athletes' as they claim to be. There are kids who simply don't want to, don't need to, and have no desire to go to college. So why is it being forced on them? It's not good for the teams and kids they play with, it's not good for the school to have kids who show up and never go to class and make a mockery of the whole thing. But it is good for ratings.
How is the NCAA requiring these kids to go to college? The rule is an NBA rule, and the kids don't have to attend college.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:06 PM
General

Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
But, there's even more to the story than that in my view. Collegiate athletics eligibility and scholarships are not owed to these players, they are privleges bestowed on them. The foregoing of this eligibility should not be taken lightly, and the NCAA is right to have that threat on these players in my view. Removing that barrier simply would make any risk associated with such a choice go completely away.
So the 19 year old kid can have his college scholarship taken from him unilaterally by the NCAA for attempting to make a wage for his skills (being drafted), and can have his college scholarship taken from him unilaterally by the college every year at the college's whim, for cause or without cause.

(Crickets chirping)

No one sees a problem with this?? And we wonder why these kids demand gaudy guaranteed money? Maybe if they didn't get screwed by the system in so many different ways they wouldn't have such bad attitudes.

There is absolutely no reason why a kid shouldn't be able to be drafted--whether he declares or not--and continue playing in college. There are already rules against accepting money.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
I think if a player declares and then wants to come back, there is the wasted time recruiting as coaches may refocus deciding that with player x gone, they really need a point guard.

Also if I'm a 'normal' student and I give up an academic scholarship to drop out, the chances are that scholarship won’t be waiting for me if I change my mind.

I think they should be allowed to declare for the draft at any time, but I agree with the rule that if you hire an agent, you lose your college eligibility. If an athlete wants to be treated like an adult and be able to pursue a pro career at age 18, 19, or whatever, then they should also be adult enought to know the rules and make the decision of hiring an agent accordingly.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Why is basketball so different than baseball?? We've had kids go to pro baseball and fail and go back to college and play football on scholarship. How did this get so diversified from sport to sport?
the rule on baseball is that if you intend to play in college then you can't play professionally until after the third season. you can play professional baseball right out of high school and even play another sport in college such as football or basketball, but you can do that for any sport. you can play professional baseball, and enroll in college on a basketball or football scholarship. you just can't play college and pro ball in the same sport at the same time.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Brigadier General

XUBrew: But how does the draft work in mlb and nhl? Why is it that kids can be drafted by mlb and still decide to go to college? Same for the nhl? Why can't the nba set up a similar system. Does anyone know the answer to this? It's so puzzling to me. Seriously. There was a kid from my high school who was drafted by the tigers. He went on to play in college. He never ended up even playing proball of any kind. So how does that work?

Longtime--in my opinion, yes, the rule is an nba rule. But it was designed for the mutual benefit of the NCAA and NBA.

NCKevi--I think you make a good point in regard to a scholarship student. I hadn't thought of that. However, i'm betting that a kid who had great grades in hs and 2 years of college could still get a scholarship at another college even after taking a year off. That's just a hunch though. I don't know how that stuff works. I wasn't really, um, scholarship material.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95
But how does the draft work in mlb and nhl? Why is it that kids can be drafted by mlb and still decide to go to college? Same for the nhl? Why can't the nba set up a similar system. Does anyone know the answer to this? It's so puzzling to me. Seriously. There was a kid from my high school who was drafted by the tigers. He went on to play in college. He never ended up even playing proball of any kind. So how does that work?
One of the big differences are the numbers being drafted -
MLB has 50 rounds with 1500+ being drafted!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Longtime--in my opinion, yes, the rule is an nba rule. But it was designed for the mutual benefit of the NCAA and NBA.
Just my opinion, but I think David Stern did what he felt was best for the NBA. I really don't think he was concerned about the NCAA. If he was really concerned about the good of the NCAA he would have tried to make the rule two or three years, which would have been much better for the colleges than the one year rule.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Brigadier General

From what i understand, the desired rule was 2 years mandatory. But the league felt that the players union wouldn't go for it. Also, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Both the nba and ncaa benefit from it. Whether it's one year or two years. It provides an opportunity for the nba scouts to get great visibility of a desired prospect with no risks. Meanwhile, the ncaa gets nba-ready players coming through, along with the novelty and notoriety that goes along with that.

It'll be interesting to see which way the rule swings. If they do away with it, or lengthen it.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Mark_K is a jewel in the roughMark_K is a jewel in the roughMark_K is a jewel in the rough
Question

What about the kid who played football for Colorado and was a professional skier? I believe he was forced to give up his eligibility for football in order to keep his endorsement deals for skiing. Those two sports are completely unrelated yet the NCAA wouldn't let him do both.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
General

Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
I think if a player declares and then wants to come back, there is the wasted time recruiting as coaches may refocus deciding that with player x gone, they really need a point guard.
An unfortunate problem coaches face every year regardless.

Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
Also if I'm a 'normal' student and I give up an academic scholarship to drop out, the chances are that scholarship won’t be waiting for me if I change my mind.
As Flyer95 said, there is a big difference. The odds are that the school would re-admit me and re-offer the adademic scholarship. They might not, but unlike the athletic scholarship, there is no systematic rule forbidding it. The college can look at my credentials and decide if I merit the scholarship again or not. And if not I can go elsewhere.

I don't think your example is comparable.

And just because someone knows the rules about any given situation it doesn't make the rules fair, does it?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
1st Lieutenant

flyguy is infamous around these parts
My take on this is pretty straight forward. If you are 18 years or older, you should be able to go to the NBA with no restrictions. The NCAA can pass regulations on agents, money and anything else they want, but there is no reason that an 18 year old man should be restricted from making a living at the thing he is good at.

Sure, on a practical level I understand that a college education is very helpful for most, but someone who has a realistic chance to play in the NBA (about 0.0000001% of the population) should not be required to go and take English 101 and TV.

GO FLYERS.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
My take on this is pretty straight forward. If you are 18 years or older, you should be able to go to the NBA with no restrictions. The NCAA can pass regulations on agents, money and anything else they want, but there is no reason that an 18 year old man should be restricted from making a living at the thing he is good at.

Sure, on a practical level I understand that a college education is very helpful for most, but someone who has a realistic chance to play in the NBA (about 0.0000001% of the population) should not be required to go and take English 101 and TV.

GO FLYERS.
This is about what I've concluded after munching on all the input. If a kid is old enough to fight for our country, he just might be able to survive the NBA, college or no college.

That leaves the NBA with a problem. These kids do make a name for themselves in their one year in college (Beasley/Walker/Mayo, et.al.). That sells tickets and helps TV ratings. How many no-name 18 year-olds, regardless of their percieved endless "potential" can an NBA team risk taking on? A team of newbe's will not compete for several years, and won't draw crowds either. This thing would have a way of being self-leveling for the NBA. Their are far fewer Labron's than there are CJ Miles' coming out of HS.

I think the $$ and the infatuation for youngsters would wane quickly without some college on their part to establish their star power.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Major General

[QUOTE=Flyer'95;64946]XUBrew: But how does the draft work in mlb and nhl? Why is it that kids can be drafted by mlb and still decide to go to college? Same for the nhl? Why can't the nba set up a similar system. Does anyone know the answer to this? It's so puzzling to me. Seriously. There was a kid from my high school who was drafted by the tigers. He went on to play in college. He never ended up even playing proball of any kind. So how does that work?
[QUOTE]

i don't have a clue about the nhl.

baseball has two drafts. for the june draft, players can be drafted out of high school. if they are drafted and sign with an agent, they cannot play in college. if they are drafted, but don't sign with an agent, they can go to college, but can't play professionally for three years. players can be drafted out of div3 or juco at any time. however, if a player goes to a div2 or div1 school, they cannot be drafted or play professionally until after their junior year. another interesting note is that foreign players are not eligible for the draft, which obviously is not the case with the nba.

the baseball winter draft is something i don't know all that much about. i don't believe college players are even eligible for it, though. it's all about minor league players, and anyone that's picked cannot play in the minor leagues, but must be on a major league roster.

baseball and basketball are completely different when it comes to the draft. so much so that it's hard to compare the two. the rule for the nba is that you must be one year out of high school in order to be eligible for the draft, or for that matter to become a free agent. you also have to have your name in the draft. the ncaa won't let players who are drafted return to college when it comes to basketball or football. it's the same with baseball, only baseball players can't be drafted until after their junior year (that's an mlb rule, not an ncaa rule). the ncaa will allow baseball players who are drafted out of high school come to college, though. i don't know the logic behind that. i also can't say for certain what the rule was for basketball before the nba adopted the new policy of not drafting players right out of high school. the rule may have been the same for basketball as it is for baseball, and that's that if a player out of high school was drafted, but didn't sign with an agent, they'd have the option of going to college. i never remember an incident where that came up. i guess it's moot now since the nba changed the rule, but i would be curious to know what it was before.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
Maybe I've missed something, but there isn't nearly enough loathing for concept of "one and dones" in this thread. Go to Europe, snub college, do whatever: I'd rather not have that as a standard practice in NCAA hoops. For as much as I think we've seen increased parity, it's tending to be parity between the 15th best and 50th best teams... as long as TV exposure and BCS conference marketing and shady recruiting practices are in place, though, "one and done" type players are still going to go to the same basic handful of programs and create a divide between the Rent-a-Player Schools and the Program Building Schools.

And I think you'll find only the former win national championships with regularity.

That said: I do believe that you need to find a solution that is equitable to all three stake holders in a player's development (the player, his potential NBA team, and his potential NCAA school). That means the player deserves the right, as an adult, to pursue fame and fortune right out of high school, but depending on his decision, I think that also means that the interests of either an NBA franchise or an academic institution who will invest in said players development need to be looked after, as well.

I'd propose something like this:

High school graduates are eligible for the NBA Draft, but only as "Developmental Qualifiers." As such, they are treated differently when drafted: they are locked into a 3-year Developmental Contract at a fixed salary (something nominal, like $5,000 per month). They are also granted a one-time signing bonus based on draft slot. For three years, the NBA team can determine the best mode of development for a player: some teams may assign players to the D League. Others may send players to Europe. Maybe some teams will adopt a new system, kind of like the NFL "taxi squad," and keep young developmental talents close to the home base, working out with the main team.

And the catch is that if an 18 year old has the skills to be on the main NBA roster: fine, put him there. As soon as any "developmental qualifier" spends 20 regular season games on an NBA roster, his status is switched to "Full Qualfier" and he is paid standard NBA league minimum, and then must be re-signed to a standard rookie/free-agent contract effective the next season, with Service Time and all that other stuff kicking in without prejudice as to age. This would allow a team to take immediate advantage of a truly remarkable HS talent, but also permit them the time to slowly DEVELOP that talent over the course of 3 years if necessary. And it goes without saying that if a HS player is a bust, the team simply releases said player at the end of the 3 year holding contract (instead of re-signing him to a standard rookie/free agent contract), without having really incurred any major expense.

It's a risk/reward trade-off for both parties, but I think this levels the trade-off so that the team drating an early-declaring player is no longer shouldering ALL of the risk. If an 18 year old wants to go pro, here's your chance, Potsie: but as soon as you're drafted, that's it, you're locked in... no "Oh, I don't like the team that drafted me, so I'll go to school afterall"; no "Oh my, I'm overmatched, but at least I fleeced them for a huge contract before tanking my career"; none of that. You can go pro whenever you want, but it's with the caveat that you'll either perform and prosper, or you'll be pooped out the back end of the system after three years of hard work.

The flip side to this would be players who decide to go to college. And in this new system, the instant you enroll in a four-year school, you become ineligible for the NBA Draft until the third year following your high school graduation. You are now committed to playing 3 seasons of college ball, and getting the 3 years of education and maturation that come with it, before the NBA will look at you again. You have made a promise to a school, and you'll fulfill 75% of it before you're considered qualified to enter the NBA.

This not only helps bolster the "integrity" of the college game, in terms of it being a team sport representing an academic institution (and not a marketing phenomenon where the program providing the "biggest stage" can rent the best players for a year), but it helps frame the decision that the high school grad must make. If there's even a shred of "me first" or "just treading water till I turn pro" in a youngster, the thought of a 3-year NBA 'lock out" by enrolling in college might give them pause. Your decision will be affected if you can see yourself enrolling in college, and then flunking out or getting suspended your freshman year, leaving you with 2 years to burn, and no national stage upon which to play ball.

In other words: by providing these two distinct options, I think you create a situation in which a player is free to do as he pleases, but will also realize the import of his decision. Thus, you'll see high school grads taking a more careful inventory of their needs and goals, and making the RIGHT decision for themselves. I think the options are such that you won't see too many Kids With A Lot Of Learning To Do deciding to take the risk of wallowing on a 3-year NBA "holding contract," nor will you see the single-minded spotlight-seeking baller willing to make a 3-year committment to doing all the things required to stay enrolled at an acredited academic institution.

And just like that: everybody should be happy....

Rick
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 PM

That's a great analysis, but why should a 16 year old basketball player be denied $4.5 million in signing bonus if he can get it just like a 16 year old baseball player? If it doesn't work out he's got several million left to go to college and simply get a degree. Beats graduating college with a gagging student loan.

Read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Brigadier General

Also, i think that plan would allow for the nba to stockpile young talent while underpaying them. They can lock up kids with potential, keep them in their little 'farm' system until they're ready. It would deny them the exposure that the ncaa could provide (thereby hurting their market value) without actually paying them what they could really earn in a free market.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 PM
General

They could choose not to sign a long-term contract, couldn't they? Then they would be taking the risk, but also getting the reward sooner if they perform.

It reminds me of the unfairness of the NFL. At first I thought T.O. was just a punk. Now I think he's a complete punk, but a punk that makes a reasonable point. If he gets hurt tomorrow he has no income. The team can just cancel him. But if he does a spectacular job he's "locked" into his deal for 5 or 7 years.

It's really unfair for both sides.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
The player who was supposed to be Arizona's starting PG next year (and the top incoming point guard for 2008) has decided to play in Europe instead: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3479195 . It will be interesting to see how this affects recruiting if this becomes a trend.