UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Who deserves 5 tender minutes with the turbo charged Golden Blender firmly strapped to their groin??
the entire UD men's coaching staff 12 40.00%
the entire men's basketball team 4 13.33%
the UD Athletic Director's office 9 30.00%
George HW Bush 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,910 Times in 6,994 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
The Golden Male Genital Mutilation Blender goes to...

Are there 25 options???? I'll keep it at 4...
Old 01-25-2014, 06:31 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
The coaching staff
Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,111 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
I voted for the coaching staff, but after seeing Scott and Robinson laughing it up on the bench at the end of the game, I say they each deserve a good 10 minutes.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
OK lets be honest here, why were they laughing? At the game plan, the coaching staff, the ineptitude of the team or how they could have gone somewhere else and made a huge mistake. Mistook Archie for a coach?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,682 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
OK lets be honest here, why were they laughing? At the game plan, the coaching staff, the ineptitude of the team or how they could have gone somewhere else and made a huge mistake. Mistook Archie for a coach?
Didn't see it (I have Amish cable TV), but I'd love to have been a Band-Aid on the leg of somebody close to that conversation.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
defense is garbage. No help side defense at all. Make a cut or penetrate and there is no one there. No cutters thrown off the path.

There was a play in the first half where Birutas had the ball at the three point line. Kavs is 3 feet off of him, no ball pressure. Mumford curls off a screen from the weakside, DMO (his man set the screen) stands there and does not move. Players cuts unimpeded down the lane and Birutas passes to him for an uncontested layup. All that had to happen to take that away was ball pressure from Matt or DMO to step up and take away the cut. Nobody moved.

It is a lack of attention to detail and it is the little things that make the differnce on defense. It is on the players and coaches at this point. Without defensive effort this team will struggle to finish over .500.

The defense today was as bad as I have seen from a Flyer team in years.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,427 Times in 678 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
This thread title is the best thing UD men's basketball has going for it right now.
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
I voted for the coaching staff, but after seeing Scott and Robinson laughing it up on the bench at the end of the game, I say they each deserve a good 10 minutes.

Robinson and Scott both have this sort of lazy, lolligagging style-of-play that makes me wonder how serious they are about playing D1 basketball...
Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 AM
General

Thanked 4,887 Times in 2,252 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
The administration.

One 8-8 season is the players.

Two or three 8-8 seasons is the coach.

A decade of 8-8 seasons is the administration.

I plan to send the admin a message in the near future. What will you do?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (01-26-2014), BRob2Perryman3 (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:41 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
The administration.

Excellent, Viper. A little over forty words but it sums up the situation very succinctly.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,111 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute

The administration.

I keep hearing people wanting to blame the administration. If so, then are you saying AM should be fired along with Wabler? I'm not seeing how you can fire Wabler and not send his guy packing too.

I can see holding Wabler accountable for who he hires, but once that coach gets hired I think the state of the program is entirely on him. I'm not sure I want a Jerry Jones type Director of Athletics who has his nose in on everything the HC does. That will impact future hires.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM

Thanked 9,813 Times in 4,074 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
DVR cut out before it happened...would like to see that...
Old 01-26-2014, 12:27 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
this post got me thinking...which is dangerous!

The administration.

Isn't McAfee Plumbing one of UD's sponsors?

And isn't their slogan '8 to 8 for one great rate'?

Seems to me an 8-8 A10 Conference record is part of the advertising agreement!

Cha-ching!!!!

Does anyone work for a Corporation whose slogan is '12 to 4 and come back for more'?

Sign 'em up!

Last edited by rollo; 01-26-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to blame the AD at this point for the lack of inspiration this team is showing. Everything was in place just a month ago for a good run and being a media sweetheart. This smells of a lack of inspiration in the locker room and that is either poison in the team (which we have seen before) or the coach just isn't tough enough with these kids. We need a big man that plays tough D in the paint and knocks heads together after games for a lack of effort.

Perhaps Wabler needs to make a showing in the locker room. If he is not traveling with the team for these road games, he ought to be.

I would think as much crap as Kav went through to get back on the team, he would be pushing on his backups to play a little harder. I can't imagine being in a spot where the chances of playing in the big dance just erode away.

They all need 5 minutes in the blender. Perhaps it could be a team building experience all the way around.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:57 PM
General

Thanked 4,887 Times in 2,252 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Northwest,

Were it just this season, I'd agree. However, nearly every season in the last decade seems to play like a broken record:

- Pre-season recruiting buzz; pre-season hype that this or that player has put on X lbs or grown X inches; pre-season hype that whatever hurt the program last year (team chemistry, poor shooting guards, injuries to player X, abnormal sunspot activity, etc) has been addressed and this year will be different.
- Tentative play in an early season game against a no-name opponent that gives some pause for concern; others hype that Team X (IPFW, Findlay, St Charles 8th grade CYO) is going to be this year's FL Gulf Coast in their end of season tournament.
- Earning national publicity through early season tournament play; hearing Jay Bilas say "there's no way this team is 7th in the A-10"; possibly getting ranked.
- Promptly laying a giant steaming pile of schise all over that ranking by losing (sometimes spectacularly) to another no-name opponent (who will also be touted as the second coming of the '66 Texas Western team by some).
- Winning some additional games against supposedly quality BCS competition before the end of the non-con.
- Coming down with basketball amnesia for about six weeks from early January to mid-February (I call it Uaryitis).
- Stringing together enough wins to finish above dead last, but below fifth in the league.
- Losing in the first or second round of A-10 tournament play.
- Finishing with a winning record, sometimes above 20 wins, but failing to be a serious contender for an NCAA at-large bid.

If it's just about the players this year, what was the problem last year? In 2010? In 2008? In 2005? Why do other programs overcome setbacks, while we use them as excuses for non-competitiveness?

If the administration is indeed part of the problem, wouldn't it be good to have someone NOT in the administration making recommendations for improvement?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-27-2014), Larymike (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 AM

Congratulations coaches, you have the honor and privilege to fire up the Golden Blender and put it to its intended use...I'll even throw in a couple rusty blades just to make sure you get the full effect of the Award.

Enjoy!!!! You earned it.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

Does anyone work for a Corporation whose slogan is '12 to 4 and come back for more'?

Sign 'em up!
The Mustang Ranch? It would be "hard" to go back for more, much less the first visit, with mutilated genitalia.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by cj View Post
The Mustang Ranch?
Hmmmm...I think you're on to something...

Since they're open all day, every day - '24-7' - they could work that into a slogan and our projected team record...

...or make it simple and just say 'we suck so you don't have to'...that would work for me!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo, that avatar is as gross as our A10 record.
Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Colonel

Northwest,

Were it just this season, I'd agree. However, nearly every season in the last decade seems to play like a broken record:

- Pre-season recruiting buzz; pre-season hype that this or that player has put on X lbs or grown X inches; pre-season hype that whatever hurt the program last year (team chemistry, poor shooting guards, injuries to player X, abnormal sunspot activity, etc) has been addressed and this year will be different.
- Tentative play in an early season game against a no-name opponent that gives some pause for concern; others hype that Team X (IPFW, Findlay, St Charles 8th grade CYO) is going to be this year's FL Gulf Coast in their end of season tournament.
- Earning national publicity through early season tournament play; hearing Jay Bilas say "there's no way this team is 7th in the A-10"; possibly getting ranked.
- Promptly laying a giant steaming pile of schise all over that ranking by losing (sometimes spectacularly) to another no-name opponent (who will also be touted as the second coming of the '66 Texas Western team by some).
- Winning some additional games against supposedly quality BCS competition before the end of the non-con.
- Coming down with basketball amnesia for about six weeks from early January to mid-February (I call it Uaryitis).
- Stringing together enough wins to finish above dead last, but below fifth in the league.
- Losing in the first or second round of A-10 tournament play.
- Finishing with a winning record, sometimes above 20 wins, but failing to be a serious contender for an NCAA at-large bid.

If it's just about the players this year, what was the problem last year? In 2010? In 2008? In 2005? Why do other programs overcome setbacks, while we use them as excuses for non-competitiveness?

If the administration is indeed part of the problem, wouldn't it be good to have someone NOT in the administration making recommendations for improvement?
Viperstick. There is something wrong with the picture, but if the AD is hands off the basketball program functions, then that may be problem? Time to get in there and find out what the hell is happening perhaps? I am not close enough to the program to know what he does besides try to make connections for UD (hosting NCAA events) and make sure ticket sales are up. Seems like he has been doing this, albeit it took two away NIT appearances as an upper seed before he figured out he needed to do something about it.

I am not advocating for anything except Archie gets a few more years or at least finishes his contact (and that does not mean not turning up the pressure for success). I think the AD is logically where the next lynch mob goes. Perhaps it is time to get a more dynamic personality, we certainly shouldn't have to sit (and quite a few of you pay good money) through someone sunsetting their career while we wait for the program to be rebuilt by the "next guy". This is (was) a very important year for this program.

I used to not miss these nationally televised games, but I only tuned in for a few minutes and had enough and read the box score later. I will not dedicate my time to watch a team that gives up. Last year we lacked depth and I could understand why we would fade down the stretch. This year, we don't have that problem and should be on it until the last play.