UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Is there anything on the line tonite??

Larry talked about urgency in the DDN to day....isn't it about 5 games too late for urgency? Desperation is a better word but I thought that was the case against URI...and was told it wasn't time. Is this game a must win or at 1-4 is that a stupid question?

Are we playing for next season? Are we playing for anything??

Does anyone care??

Attendance will say a lot about the general feelings of the fanbase. I know a lot of grey- and blue-hairs who aren't going tonite because it's too cold...something that never stopped them before or as recently as last week.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:24 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I don't consider the season over. If the team can play with intensity and win convincingly it will bring confidence and conviction that it can be repeated.

The team is going nowhere with their current level of play. But who knows what might happen if they regain some confidence and swagger.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (01-29-2014), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-29-2014), dnutz77 (01-29-2014), The Gem (01-29-2014), Tony T 71 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
They are playing for not being the first Dayton team to go 1-5 in the A10.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (01-29-2014), UDBaby (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
This team has played more games on national TV than any team in recent history and don't seem to mind being embarrassed. If they can't play for a national audience then I'm not sure they can play for anything including themselves.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (01-29-2014), IAFlyer (01-29-2014), rollo (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
They're still a bubble team... as incredible as that sounds. I think they need 10-6 to make it, though. That means 9-2 from here on out, which seems a bit too much to ask.
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Major

Odrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud of
Stand Up and Fight

Tonight for me this is all about effort and Fight. Tonight is about the Seniors Stepping up. Dmo, Kav's and Vee need to take the bull by the horns.

For god's sake foul someone hard, set a bone crushing pick, take the ball to the basket with reckless abandon, Dive into the crowd..

DO SOMETHING!! Get the crowd on your side with hustle and effort.

At the end of the day..these are still just kids. I refuse to boo them or lament them. This is a game. But a game that can teach lessons. We all know Life is full of knockdown punches. Its how you respond which is the true judge of your heart.

I want to see these kids bounce back for themselves. Give an all out effort and respond. Win or lose I can live with that.

I want to see Archie willing to adjust. Last Night Iowa and Michigan St rotated between zone and man. Iowa did not have the speed of SParty so they tried a zone. It's okay to try different things Arch...

As for records and seasons and NCAA...Frankly the loss to Rhody IMO sealed any hope for an at large, coupled with the fact..Gonzaga and Baylor are sinking almost as bad as we are.

This Senior Class is as make shift and reflective of a coaching/philosophy change as they come. Oliver is the only one who was here and he was Gregory's recruit. Kav's sat a year and Vee is a transport. (next year is equally sad with Alex and Sibert)
If they want to leave a legacy the legacy is built by effort. I have seen worse Dayton teams but I have cheered for them despite their lack of talent but cheered for their effort.
Mad Props to Odrab14 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sticks 'n Stearns (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Winning is on the line. If they lose all the rest, I will watch them all rooting for a win.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
The Gem (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
As Odrab14 mentioned, "set a bone crushing pick". Like the one Kav set near the end of the last game at RI. That kid is still seeing stars. Too little too late. You could tell Kav was ticked. Well get ticked from the start tonight.

We need to do that early and often.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Larry talked about urgency in the DDN to day....isn't it about 5 games too late for urgency? Desperation is a better word but I thought that was the case against URI...and was told it wasn't time. Is this game a must win or at 1-4 is that a stupid question?

Does anyone care??

Attendance will say a lot about the general feelings of the fanbase. I know a lot of grey- and blue-hairs who aren't going tonite because it's too cold...something that never stopped them before or as recently as last week.
Absolutely.. That's why winning at RI was also really critical, as well, as the next 5 games (including tonight) are all winnable but you need to get that MOJO back and a win at RI would have been nice. Still, 3 of the next 5 at home, and 2 road games at St. Bonnie and GM....Win even 4 of these and you're at .500 all of a sudden. NCAA guru even after the RI loss had us not too far out of the tourney..
Old 01-29-2014, 10:49 AM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Odrab14 View Post
. . . As for records and seasons and NCAA...Frankly the loss to Rhody IMO sealed any hope for an at large, coupled with the fact..Gonzaga and Baylor are sinking almost as bad as we are. . .

Baylor sinking, yes . . . Gonzaga, not so much: 18-3, first place in the WCC, #27 in the AP, #24 in the coaches poll.
I wish the Flyers were sinking that bad . . .

btw - I wonder what the Baylor message boards looks like. They started January 12-1 and ranked #9 in the country,
and ended January receiving no votes following a 1-6 start in conference play.
Surely they must fire their coach!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Odrab14 View Post
Tonight for me this is all about effort and Fight. Tonight is about the Seniors Stepping up. Dmo, Kav's and Vee need to take the bull by the horns.

For god's sake foul someone hard, set a bone crushing pick, take the ball to the basket with reckless abandon, Dive into the crowd..

DO SOMETHING!! Get the crowd on your side with hustle and effort.

At the end of the day..these are still just kids. I refuse to boo them or lament them. This is a game. But a game that can teach lessons. We all know Life is full of knockdown punches. Its how you respond which is the true judge of your heart.

I want to see these kids bounce back for themselves. Give an all out effort and respond. Win or lose I can live with that.

I want to see Archie willing to adjust. Last Night Iowa and Michigan St rotated between zone and man. Iowa did not have the speed of SParty so they tried a zone. It's okay to try different things Arch...

As for records and seasons and NCAA...Frankly the loss to Rhody IMO sealed any hope for an at large, coupled with the fact..Gonzaga and Baylor are sinking almost as bad as we are.

This Senior Class is as make shift and reflective of a coaching/philosophy change as they come. Oliver is the only one who was here and he was Gregory's recruit. Kav's sat a year and Vee is a transport. (next year is equally sad with Alex and Sibert)
If they want to leave a legacy the legacy is built by effort. I have seen worse Dayton teams but I have cheered for them despite their lack of talent but cheered for their effort.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

I think it's should be more geared towards :For god's sake catch the ball,dribble the ball, hold the ball, move without the ball, make your layup, make your foul shot.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
How about trying to restore some pride in playing and winning at the UD Arena..defending the home court?

It could've been my imagination (or a flashback from a self-induced hallucination) but I seem to recall a time when a UD home game usually meant a UD W.

Play with a little pride on your home floor fellas.....
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (01-29-2014), IAFlyer (01-29-2014), IndianaFlyer (01-30-2014), JimBo (01-29-2014), Sticks 'n Stearns (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
As Odrab14 mentioned, "set a bone crushing pick". Like the one Kav set near the end of the last game at RI. That kid is still seeing stars. Too little too late. You could tell Kav was ticked. Well get ticked from the start tonight.

We need to do that early and often.
Some URI fans were very unhappy with those 2 screens on back to back possessions, but if you are going to apply pressure when you are up double digits with under a minute to go, your guards are fair game.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Very Important..Archie needs to step up.

I believe tonite and Sat are very important for the program and Archie himself. Win them both and this can still be a good season and we can think that it was just a bad run and we are back on track. The last two losses the team did not play hard or with energy or emotion. The RI game is very disturbing. Archie said we missed Kav..well he was back and had his best numbers of the season and we were still hammered. Should we lose the next two at Home the problem is deep and you have to question if were heading in the right direction. Archie needs to have them ready tonite, St Joe is beatable and not a good road team and not deep. The Maui team would run them out of the gym. Archies mantra is to protect the Home court. Archie attack those guys tonite before they climb the walls!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone care??

IMO, hell yes, the URI game was desperation time, if UD really wanted to make the NCAA tournament that is, who told you "it wasn't time"?

They shouldn't be giving up, you never know what can happen. You never give up. Other teams can fall apart, other teams can suffer injuries, your team can get hot. You keep playing and busting your butt.

More effort from the players and adjustments from the coach are needed.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I'm just hoping that I can walk proud without this darn bag over my head again before the end of the season.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (01-29-2014), bobber (01-29-2014), Figgie123 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
All I know is, we have at least 12 more games. Let's try to win 'em all, one at a time. The season is far from over.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
westchesterflyer (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Colonel

Levelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud of
Looks like it may be a light student turn out - from Red Scare on FB:

Flyers take on St. Joe's tonight at 7 at home. There are FREE tickets at the north arena box office! All you need is to show your student ID
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone care??

Honestly, I don't care. I'd like to win, but I've successfully detached myself from this team. That is....until they pull their famous tease, again just like that no-good rotten ex who shows up on your doorstep and you can't refuse.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Baylor sinking, yes . . . Gonzaga, not so much: 18-3, first place in the WCC, #27 in the AP, #24 in the coaches poll.
I wish the Flyers were sinking that bad . . .

btw - I wonder what the Baylor message boards looks like. They started January 12-1 and ranked #9 in the country,
and ended January receiving no votes following a 1-6 start in conference play.
Surely they must fire their coach!

Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
All I know is, we have at least 12 more games. Let's try to win 'em all, one at a time. The season is far from over.
Yes there is still time to save the season, save Archie's job, and go where we've never gone before......lets hope its not the basement
Old 01-29-2014, 04:51 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Levelbest View Post
Looks like it may be a light student turn out - from Red Scare on FB:
Students might not be the only light turn out tonight.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to be a pessimist, but if they couldn't get up for the URI game, then I don't have much hope for tonight or the rest of the reason. Things could get real ugly this season.

If I'm Archie, I start making changes tonight with both my scheme and who gets playing time in order to get things corrected. A lot of signs are pointing to the fact that this team has quit.

Play the guys that want to hustle, bench the rest.

Last edited by ud2; 01-29-2014 at 05:07 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Of course there is. We win these next two and we're right back in the thick of things. Top 50 RPI w/ three top 50 wins? Nothing to scoff at. Both of these games will also improve our SOS.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
We (us fans) need to look reality in the face..... we could not win another game this year! If you can't beat "that" St Joes team at home, then just who can you beat?
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (01-30-2014)