User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 08:35 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Defense and Rebounding

With the lineup we have or could potentially have. Don't we have the athletes to dominate people on the boards and with our athleticism.

Chris Wright, Charles Little, Marcus Johnson, London Warren Kurt Hulesman

Seems like we could out rebound most our opponents.
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Captain

SCFlyer will become famous soon enoughSCFlyer will become famous soon enough
This is something I was discussing with my friend the other day. I've been, understandably, nervous about actually putting the ball in the hole this year. But I keep forgetting that we could, potentially, have a very good defensive team. With London Warren, Marcus Johnson, and Chris Wright, we will have an athleticism advantage at the 1, 2 and 3 in close to every game we play. I'm not sold on Charles Little or Kurt Huelsman on defense, yet, but both are big bodies and can rebound.

I'm still nervous about scoring, but hopefully our defense can win us a few games. Binnie and Roberts played a ton last year, and they were two of the weaker defenders on the team. I think this point has been overlooked quite a bit.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SCFlyer View Post
I'm still nervous about scoring, but hopefully our defense can win us a few games. Binnie and Roberts played a ton last year, and they were two of the weaker defenders on the team. I think this point has been overlooked quite a bit.
Every year under Gregory our Flyers have gotten more and more athletic. This season's team, with the exception of Huelsman, will be the strongest and quickest we've ever seen and it should pay off offensively.

If Gregory allows this team to half-court press and run, we should lead the league in steals and dunks. We have the depth, so why not??? So despite the weak non-conference home schedule, the games have the potential to be fun to watch.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Doubtful any BG coached team will lead the league in steals. He's shown he hates his players to gamble, preferring they keep a body between their man and the basket at all times. I think the best gauge of BG's defensive effectiveness is FG%. BG's ideal def. posession is a difficult shot late in the shot-clock with a long rebound and easy run out.

A-10 rank

Steals
13th
13th
13th

FG% - def
8th
6th
2nd

3FG% - def
9th
3rd
1st

I do agree this could be one of the best defensive teams he's ever had. London, M. Johnson and Wright are all potential all-Conference defenders. Kurt is above average. The only liability in the starting lineup would be Charles.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
The only liability in the starting lineup would be Charles.
IMO the only liability Charles need worry about is of the legal variety.

I don't recall any offensive player being able to score on CL last year. Did anyone focus their offense around taking advantage of CL? Maybe you'll tell me they never had to because JB was always on the court.

CL is short for his position and guys can possibly shoot over him. But CW will end up guarding "that" guy. The 6-10 guy will be guarded by KH. CL will be guarding a 6-6 guy where CL will have a strength advantage and his foot quickness is up to the task of any forward and most guards on our schedule.

He does sometimes struggle with the team concept / principles, I'll grant you that. But I don't think I would put the word "liability" in front of his name when talking about defense.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
He does sometimes struggle with the team concept / principles, I'll grant you that. But I don't think I would put the word "liability" in front of his name when talking about defense.
Good point, he's certainly not in the JB category of defense. How about "below-average". He seemed to be out of position way too often for a JR. The same match-ups that are beneficial for Dayton on the offensive end with him also cause problems defensively. Gives up too much position in the paint, not quite quick enought to defend in space. He's the definition of a tweener.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Captain

SCFlyer will become famous soon enoughSCFlyer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Maybe you'll tell me they never had to because JB was always on the court.

You beat me to it!

I agree that I don't necessarily see Little as a "liability." I don't see Huelsman as a liability either. I think most of us are just focusing on London, Marcus and CWright because on most any other team, you'd be lucky to have ONE perimeter defender with that kind of athleticism. I get giddy thinking about those three just hounding the other teams backcourt players.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I think Charles can hurt us defensively if he is matched up against a much bigger forward. By now, he doesn't get shoved around much by anyone, but a real tall guy can give him some problems. When he is matched against a guy similar to himself, I think he does much better. CJ Anderson from X comes to mind. A guy who just tries to bull his way to the basket without much outside touch. I think Charles is a good defensive match-up with him.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I think the only way i think of charles as a defensive liability is that he isn't smart with some of his fouls and gets in foul trouble too much. Which is one of the reasons he hasn't been a starter yet IMO. But i'm with gazoo. The only time teams really focus on going at him is when he has 2 or 3 fouls and they want to make things worse for us.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I can see our calling card next be beating people on the glass. Marcus Johnson is the best rebounding guard I've ever seen at UD. A healthy Wright and Little are two players that could potentially grab double digit rebounds every night. London Warren has the athleticism to be a great rebounder.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Charles can play very good defense, just needs to bring that intensity every game. You don't play good defense without intensity.

I agree that Marcus and Chris are both outstanding rebounders. Kurt isn't a beast of a leaper but he normally keeps his man far away from rebounds.

That will be the recipe for success on this team. Very good rebounding (few second chance points), very good defense (few wide open shots or breakdowns), a few offensive rebounds for putbacks each game and some crowd pleasing throwdowns on fast breaks or steals. The offense will take care of itself if the players take the opportunities that are available.

On offense I am hoping for some individual skill improvement from some players. As one example I don't expect Mickey to have shooting problems this season. If London and some others have improved their shooting stroke we are in good shape.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Mickey Perry is the wildcard this season. He has the size and strength to play with the big boys. If he can bring any offense whatsoever, he's going to take alot of Roberts' minutes.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
OSU--i agree marcus is the best rebounding guard I have seen at UD ( a close second being tony stanley). but i would also say that chris wright is the best rebounding wing forward i have seen at ud.

you guys are right. this will be our calling card. we lost our two worst defenders and our least athletic player. we should dominate almost every team in these two areas.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
We were a tremendous rebounding team lat year. I don't think we lost anyone who will hurt us in that department. I think it is part of the pay-off for getting great athletes. Some of our guys have great quickness off the floor. And they get way up too. You have to credit BG with coaching on this too. We normally get great effort on the boards from the whole team.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
defense & rebounding win championships

Here are three goals that we used to emphasize when I was coaching D3 basketball:
  1. Hold opponents to under 40% FGP
  2. Out rebound opponents
  3. Shoot 70% from the FT line
If we did these things every night we felt like we had a chance to win the game. This philosophy led to a record of 108 - 33 over 5 seasons and has led that same program to a 343 - 85 record since 1994.

This Dayton team has the opportunity to set the tone every night that they will do these three things and if they do them I believe we Flyer fans will be very happy at the end of the season.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Mickey Perry is the wildcard this season. He has the size and strength to play with the big boys. If he can bring any offense whatsoever, he's going to take alot of Roberts' minutes.
ditto, HUGE wildcard. don't forget there are some of sandoval's minutes up for grabs as well. new guards have more opportunity than any forwards and centers