UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,328 Times in 2,435 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I always wonder what would have happened if the (New) Big East had been formed a few years later after we had our 4-year run including the Elite 8. I wonder if they still would have gone with Creighton. Probably, but I guess we'll never know.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (02-03-2019)
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 2,350 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Performance

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I always wonder what would have happened if the (New) Big East had been formed a few years later after we had our 4-year run including the Elite 8. I wonder if they still would have gone with Creighton. Probably, but I guess we'll never know.
I don't think athletic performance has much to do with it. The Big 10 didn't select Rutgers because of performance.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:24 PM

Thanked 5,328 Times in 2,435 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I don't think athletic performance has much to do with it. The Big 10 didn't select Rutgers because of performance.

The Big Ten has a network.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Thanked 1,523 Times in 615 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Butler proved that conference affiliation is far less important than winning. UD does not exactly romp through the A10. The focus...the goal...is getting into the NCAA tournament regularly and winning when we get there.

Dayton's OOC schedule and the A10 provide more that enough opportunity to achieve that goal so long as we win.

It's about winning!
OBVIOUSLY, winning is important. However, the one element that is rarely ever mentioned is tournament seeding. Xavier was a #1 seed last year. UD could go undefeated in the A10 and MAYBE get a 4 seed. Our best season in the past 10 years we got a 6 or 7 seed.

It's much easier to advance as a higher seed and it's much easier to get a higher seed in a conference other than the A10. The biggest comeback most say is "well, UD won't win in the Big East". To that I say: Go hang out with UDScott and Maddog...

Go big or go home.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,737 Times in 1,456 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
I think Dayton in or out boils down to three things not related to market size or track record:
3) Potential Xavier blackball.
My guess is No. 3 is the biggest hurdle, and because of that, it’s unlikely we ever get in ... though there’s nothing wrong with hope. And I say that because on paper, we’re EASILY the most logical fit.
There’s one thing that could influence this, that none of us could fathom as recently as 2 years ago: X could go in the tank under Steele.

I’m not saying it WILL happen. But in 1976, no one thought the Cincinnati program would slip, but from 1978-1991, they made no NCAA tournament appearances. In 2000, no one thought St. John’s would slip, but from 2001-2010, they only made 1 NCAA tournament appearance, and that was later vacated as mandated by the NCAA. And in 2014, no one thought UConn would slip, but by 2018 they were an outright dumpster fire. So, feces occurs.

If our program ascends the way we hope it will, and if _avier’s program stalls as it could with a new coach, then that “blackball” may be worth about as much as a marble from the bag your older brother had back in the ‘60s. I wouldn’t bet my life savings on it, but I’d consider throwing a Benjamin on that bet.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (02-03-2019), ruechalgrin (02-03-2019), SeasonTicketFan (02-04-2019), The Fly (02-03-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:08 AM

Thanked 3,485 Times in 2,303 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
OBVIOUSLY, winning is important. However, the one element that is rarely ever mentioned is tournament seeding. Xavier was a #1 seed last year. UD could go undefeated in the A10 and MAYBE get a 4 seed. Our best season in the past 10 years we got a 6 or 7 seed.

It's much easier to advance as a higher seed and it's much easier to get a higher seed in a conference other than the A10. The biggest comeback most say is "well, UD won't win in the Big East". To that I say: Go hang out with UDScott and Maddog...

Go big or go home.
Exactly...the best seeds that we have had post-Purnell have been 7 seeds twice under Archie...even the 7 seed vs. 10 seed 1st round NCAAT games are almost toss-ups...we will likely never consistently advance past the round of 64 or 32 until we upgrade our OOC schedule...Archie went 15-3 and 14-4 in his last 2 years in the A10, and we only got a 7 seed.

Going better than 15-3 in the A10 is very tough to do. You will always lose 1 or 2 or 3 A10 games that you should win. If you play teams like Fordham and LaSalle often enough, sooner or later they will find a way to beat you every once in a while.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:31 AM
Captain

Phi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to behold
I think Dayton in or out boils down to three things not related to market size or track record:

1) Jesuits vs. Marianist.

2) How much weight Creighton carries in wanting a closer rival/travel partner.

Funny thing is, the Dayton/Xavier games would have immediate cache as the league’s top rivalry and probably generate the largest viewership. But does Xavier want to give up any smidgen of competitive edge in recruiting or publicity? The two schools were joined at the hip under previous administrations, but that seems to have gone by the wayside. Open minds can see that competition has never been a big issue in the ACC with UNC, NC State and Duke. But the key words there are “open minds.”

My guess is No. 3 is the biggest hurdle, and because of that, it’s unlikely we ever get in ... though there’s nothing wrong with hope. And I say that because on paper, we’re EASILY the most logical fit.
The team that has won 2/3 National Championships is in the Big East but you think that Dayton automatically becomes the flagship viewership of the conference? I love Dayton basketball as much as anyone on here but I'd love to know where someone comes up with an idea like this.

Dayton is fine in the A10, a conference the program still can't figure out how to dominate. Anthony Grant is an elite recruiter. Recruiting will not be a problem under him no matter what conference Dayton is in.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:46 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Important to us....

All very good points. BB is at the heart and soul of UD...no other A10 school like it. Nonetheless, there are other A10 schools for which BB is very important, their flagship sport.

Isn't it possible for Neil to "consult" in confidence with a few A10 ADs that share views generally similar to ours, i.e., they too want to get to the NCAAs regularly? Isn't possible for UD, on its own, to hire an outside consultant...a BB expert with connections....to assess the A10 and develop a plan for improvement? Where I'm headed here is that if we had solid data and related information re what it will take to elevate the A10 to Big East levell, for example, perhaps a strong enough case could be made such that UD could win over enough A10 schools to do what's required.

Clearly, a few A10 schools will not even consider playing ball. But a conference doesn't need 14 schools.

We can't improve the A10 on our own. But I've got to believe that there are schools that are not happy with the current status of the conference. If there are enough such schools perhaps Neil would be able to get some help.

I'm sure I'm not stating this well. But I don't see significant conference improvement as an intractable problem if we are able to get support. And perhaps UD is a bit too close to the situation. I would like to see an independent outside appraisal of the A10 to help identify a doable framework for improvement. This isn't easy....but it isn't rocket science either.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Thanked 5,251 Times in 2,587 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute

1) Jesuits vs. Marianist.

2) How much weight Creighton carries in wanting a closer rival/travel partner.

Funny thing is, the Dayton/Xavier games would have immediate cache as the league’s top rivalry and probably generate the largest viewership. But does Xavier want to give up any smidgen of competitive edge in recruiting or publicity? The two schools were joined at the hip under previous administrations, but that seems to have gone by the wayside. Open minds can see that competition has never been a big issue in the ACC with UNC, NC State and Duke. But the key words there are “open minds.”

I think it comes down to 1 & 3. There is anyone that can guarantee winning. Anyone with a reasonable perspective can see that UD does enough to make themselves competitive. My bet on the 11th team is SLU.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Colonel

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
It will be SLU. Objectively it should be us, just like it should have been us over Creighton. And IMO UD v. X and UD v. Butler is a lot closer than people think too, but alas.

Our best chance for conference improvement comes from further expansion of the American conference. I'd say there is a chance for A10 improvement as well, but not under current leadership.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:30 AM

The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Phi Psi Flyer '09 View Post
The team that has won 2/3 National Championships is in the Big East but you think that Dayton automatically becomes the flagship viewership of the conference? I love Dayton basketball as much as anyone on here but I'd love to know where someone comes up with an idea like this.

Dayton is fine in the A10, a conference the program still can't figure out how to dominate. Anthony Grant is an elite recruiter. Recruiting will not be a problem under him no matter what conference Dayton is in.
You might try actually reading what I wrote. I never used the word “flagship” nor did I say they would dominate viewership in the league. I simply said the Xavier-Dayton rivalry is such that THAT GAME would PROBABLY generate a large viewership. No one denies that Villanova is that league’s flagship and likely draws the top ratings. But I doubt, say, Villanova vs. Creighton would have better ratings than Dayton vs. Xavier in a typical year.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Lesson from the past

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
It will be SLU. Objectively it should be us, just like it should have been us over Creighton. And IMO UD v. X and UD v. Butler is a lot closer than people think too, but alas.

Our best chance for conference improvement comes from further expansion of the American conference. I'd say there is a chance for A10 improvement as well, but not under current leadership.
The American conference would be a mistake. Hybrid conferences like the old Big East just don't click. The goals and objectives of large FBS football schools are fundamentally different from those of A10-type schools. Conflict is inevitable.

At least in the A10 there is the potential for common objectives and resource requirements. In my opinion UD should not be trying to bolster the A10 alone. We need a few conference partners whose objectives are at least similar to ours and who have invested in facilities as evidence of commitment. I have every reason to think that Neil is highly competent. But, I still think he would benefit from outside expert counsel, e.g., a former conference commissioner or AD. No matter how smart and hard working you are fresh eyes always help.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:26 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
You might try actually reading what I wrote. I never used the word “flagship” nor did I say they would dominate viewership in the league. I simply said the Xavier-Dayton rivalry is such that THAT GAME would PROBABLY generate a large viewership. No one denies that Villanova is that league’s flagship and likely draws the top ratings. But I doubt, say, Villanova vs. Creighton would have better ratings than Dayton vs. Xavier in a typical year.
100% agree, UD vs. Xavier would be the top rivalry in the league, nobody else would even be close. Next closest is what? Butler vs. Xavier? Maybe Georgetown vs. St. John's? Or Georgetown vs. Villanova? None of those games have any real buzz about them IMO.

IMO, there are no real rivalries in that league. There are no two schools in that league that really compete with each other or dislike each other.

No one has consistently challenged Villanova's overwhelming supremacy over that league.

It's a very new, young league, I suppose that real rivalries take time to develop.

Last edited by ud2; 02-04-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
The Fly (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:31 AM
1st Lieutenant

Flyerferd is a splendid one to beholdFlyerferd is a splendid one to beholdFlyerferd is a splendid one to beholdFlyerferd is a splendid one to beholdFlyerferd is a splendid one to beholdFlyerferd is a splendid one to beholdFlyerferd is a splendid one to beholdFlyerferd is a splendid one to behold
While I understand everybody’s hesitation to move To the American, may I offer the following? Say what you want about cord cutting and the like, but every time Dayton has a game on the ESPN family of networks, people notice. By people, I mean alumni. While the Atlantic 10 deal with ESPN plus is nice, and an upgrade from the previous streaming service, Our games do not land with the exception of out of conference games and our game against Rhode Island on March 1, on an ESPN network. The American conference has agreements with the worldwide leader. The big east has a vast majority of their games on FS one. I see Ohio State fans in town struggle to figure out what channel that is when Ohio State plays over there. That network has not gained as much traction as people had hoped. Heck, I don’t even think to look for college basketball games as a casual fan on that network. To me, that ultimately spells trouble for the Big East. But, we shall see. Oh and by the way, I don’t think Dayton gets in unless as somebody pointed to above, Xavier goes into the tank, and we get to about three consecutive NCAA second weekend appearances.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
The American conference would be a mistake. Hybrid conferences like the old Big East just don't click. The goals and objectives of large FBS football schools are fundamentally different from those of A10-type schools. Conflict is inevitable.

At least in the A10 there is the potential for common objectives and resource requirements.

The AAC would certainly have issues and risks. Having football does change their overall mission. However I'd say that the AAC schools in general care at least as much about winning in basketball as do the A10 schools, and have much larger budgets to make it happen. Half of the AAC would leave for a P5 spot in a heartbeat. But half of the A10 would leave for a spot in the BE in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure the A10 has common objectives (beyond the generic 'win games') and definitely not in terms of resources. The top few teams in the A10 function basically at a P5 level (Dayton, SLU, VCU, RI, Richmond - maybe). The middle of the A10 is distinctly mid-major. Nothing wrong with that, they want to win and often times do, but in terms of resources they simply don't have them. The bottom of the A10 is crap, doesn't really care and doesn't have the resources to change things if they did care. They'd be better off in a lower conference and in private I bet they know/say that. I guess I don't understand how our scenario in the A10 is that much different than having to deal with football schools in the AAC.

The AAC would also has positives such as MUCH better home games at the arena, a higher profile (face it, they are significantly closer to the P5 in bball than the A10), and improved recruiting thanks to the first two items.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:59 PM
Captain

Phi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to behold
Xavier sold the trophy on eBay. There's no rivalry, especially nationally. Villanova would garner a bigger following for any conference game they play.

Dayton's best interest, as has been for years, is to actually figure out the A10. Something Xavier did for years and years which got them to the tournament every year.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:11 PM

The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
If they were league mates, the rivalry would be immediate and more intense than anything currently in the Big East. You’re right that there is no rivalry NOW ... duh. That’s because they no longer play each other. This whole thread is a “what if” scenario. Maybe you missed that part.

Last edited by The Fly; 02-04-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Captain

flybye is infamous around these partsflybye is infamous around these partsflybye is infamous around these partsflybye is infamous around these partsflybye is infamous around these partsflybye is infamous around these parts
We will get invited. It’s all about Money and fit... forget the bull about who likes who... all the Presidents and ADs have changed. We are ahead of Slu and UConn will stick with Football.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Major

Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The sentiment that the BE instantly or automatically helps our success and profile hasn’t seemed to do that for Butler. After back to back losses in THE game, they will now likely miss the tournament for the second time in 5 years and will have just 4 wins in that time.

The A10 is all UD needs to seize the opportunity we all want. The fact that it has yet to occur to date is more likely a predictor that a jump to the BE would do more harm than good if measuring success is based on tourney appearance and tourney wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (02-04-2019), UACFlyer (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:45 PM

Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,542 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
UConn is not setting the world on fire these days, except in women's BB. Their athletic dept is a dumpster fire and may scare off the BE.

https://www.wtnh.com/sports/college/...t-1/1708261590
Old 02-04-2019, 03:24 PM

I would much prefer that we start to dominate the A10 before moving to the BE. Feel like we would be skipping a very important step in the progression otherwise.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (02-04-2019), UACFlyer (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,047 Times in 952 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I would much prefer that we start to dominate the A10 before moving to the BE. Feel like we would be skipping a very important step in the progression otherwise.
We have won 2 of the last 3 A10 Regular Season Titles. Last season and this season are rebuilding years and we still have a very good shot to be in the top 3 of the league this year. Next year we should be the favorite to win the league. 2 league titles, a top 3 finish and a being a favorite to win it next year should show that we have a pretty good grasp on the A10.

I am not saying we should leave, but I do not really think we are skipping a step.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:54 PM

UConn women

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
UConn is not setting the world on fire these days, except in women's BB. Their athletic dept is a dumpster fire and may scare off the BE.

https://www.wtnh.com/sports/college/...t-1/1708261590
Did you notice that the UConn women's program, the most successful in history, runs a $3 million annual deficit?

The men with Hurley will recover. They have everything needed; just 5 yrs removed from a national championship; 4 in the last 20 years; an on-campus facility that has to be seen to be believed; and the NBA loaded with UConn players, the program still has cachet. But Hurley better get it going PDQ.

Football recovery is almost impossible to imagine.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Just I and many predicted the UConn women's unbeatable run would hit the wall. They moved down to #5 in the country after Louisville gave them their second loss. Women's basketball is slowly starting to gain some parity.

UAC, did UConn build a new arena?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:51 PM

Arena

Just I and many predicted the UConn women's unbeatable run would hit the wall. They moved down to #5 in the country after Louisville gave them their second loss. Women's basketball is slowly starting to gain some parity.

UAC, did UConn build a new arena?
Parity is women's BB is a very good thing. Still not close to men's programs...but increasing.

No, UConn does not have a new arena. Games are played in a Hartford civic center seating about 16,000 and a 30 year-old on-campus arena seating 10,000.

About two years ago a $40 million BB facility was built next to the arena. It houses everything imaginable for men's/women's programs,..the usual stuff, playing courts, training, eating, lounges, everything...a real Taj Mahal. Nothing is shared. The men and women each have their own "everything" including large courts. Quite spectacular.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:28 AM

Have not been in the UConn on-campus arena in about ten years, but it does not compare well with the likes of UD, VCU, Davidson, St L or Richmond. Not a major factor, but a consideration in BE talk.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Colonel

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Have not been in the UConn on-campus arena in about ten years, but it does not compare well with the likes of UD, VCU, Davidson, St L or Richmond. Not a major factor, but a consideration in BE talk.
Gampel Pavilion AKA "The Prophylactic" (Conn Dome).