Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: You Make the Call - 3-point shot contact
Shooting foul all the way...DD on the line for 3 8 22.22%
Foul on the floor...UD ball on the sidelines. 4 11.11%
No foul...defender was out of the way and DD initiated contact 24 66.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,874 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
You Make the Call - Shooting foul, common foul or no foul

Thanks to Gazoo's pleading, I'm posting a YMtC. If the interest is there (and measured in votes) I'll keep posting them weekly thru July. If not, maybe well try again next June.

Obviously our good friend and senior shooting guard Darrell Davis put in OT last summer with respect to his 3-point shooting. With UD's record at 12-2, DD is shooting 46% from 3's and our Flyers are looking like NCAAT qualifiers.

In UD's first A10 game vs St. Bonnie, he's on fire. With 12 points on four 3-pointers in the first half, he's got a YUGE chance to earn the much coveted Golden Gazoo Award should our Flyers pull out a win.

With 7:38 left and UD up 58-50, DD receives a pass from Sam Miller and lines up a wide open 3-pointer. In an attempt to distract DD, the out-of-position St. Bonnie defender sprints toward DD and desperately leaps in an attempt to get into DD's peripheral vision. DD, seeing the defender coming at him but knowing he has no chance to block his shot, hesitates for a second and with both feet on the court, leans sideways into the St. B defender where contact is made. DD is still able to get off a shot, but due to contact the shot falls 5-feet short.

Anticipating but not hearing a whistle, the Flyers team freezes. Meanwhile, St. Bonnie grabs the ball and throws it full court for an uncontested dunk bringing St. Bonnie to within 6, 58-52. UD coach Anthony Grant goes ballistic...DD is still frozen at the spot of what he thought should have been a foul. Grant argues with the ref crew pleading with them that "Steph Curry makes a living doing that exact thing!" but the lead official, young Chad Barlow, apologetically shakes his head at Coach Grant as AG calls a time-out to continue this one-sided conversation.

ESPNU pulls up the video and from all replays, it's obvious that DD was bumped by the defender, giving UDPride posters in the St. Bonnie game thread all the ammo they need to attack the refs as incompetent baboons, clowns and unworthy of CYO action! Siting on his throne and sipping on a freshly made Manhattan, King Rollo bites his tongue and allows the banter to run wild, enjoying the collective impulsive and emotional ignorance!

So you're the ref...with your magical powers, you go back in time, don the stripes, pop a whistle in your mouth and MAKE THE CALL!

Did the ref miss a shooting foul? Common foul? or no foul?!

C'mon...you guys know everything! Let's get it right!

King Rollo the Rule Maker, with blessings from Sir Gazoo...OUT!!
Gazoo (06-06-2017)
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
I could've sworn that game was on Fox Sports.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:18 AM
1st Lieutenant

88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of
If UD is shooting they don't call the foul... if UD is defending, they call it every time.

Seriously... if DD initiated the contact, meaning there would have been no contact without the lean, I think that is a no call...
Old 06-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
I voted no foul, but it is called so inconsistently I would be one of the "ignorant" fans screaming at his TV that it should be a foul. I mean DD would never airball a 3 otherwise

Rollo, when you give your answer can you please let us know if there has been a rule change or if the NBA is different. I feel like Reggie Miller invented this move and I thought at one point the rules changed to discourage it.
Mad Props to superfan99 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:15 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Defender in the air, not vertical, and out of control. DD in control with 2 feet, just leans and shoots. Easy peasy.

Come on, rollo, give us a hard YMtC!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:23 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Come on, rollo, give us a hard YMtC!
Old 06-06-2017, 11:31 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
What little I watch of the NBA is getting even more unwatchable as every player dribbling around a screen gets bumped and throws the ball at the rim. . . and then gets the call: In the act of shooting.

If college starts allowing this BS move you will not see me here anymore, I'll be watching reruns of baseball regular season games. In all seriousness, I will stop watching college basketball.

Or maybe I'll start watching soccer since it will basically be the same thing at that point.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-06-2017), rollo (06-06-2017), TXFlyerFan (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't read any other replies yet, but I don't see how we can make this call as described.

"DD was bumped by the defender." That makes it a foul.

"DD leans sideways into the defender." That would probably make it not a foul.

So which one was it? We'd have to see the video to decide.

If it is a foul, was he in the act of shooting? He got a shot off pretty quickly, but he also hesitated. Text evidence is inconclusive.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Wellllllllllll, we're waiting!
Old 06-08-2017, 01:37 PM

The correct call is "no foul".

Rule 4.17.6.e basically says that a shooter can't draw a defensive foul by jumping sideways into a defender who would 'otherwise clearly miss' him. So, if you read the scenario and pick up my snarkyisms, you should have picked up that the shooter cannot pull a Steph Curry and jump into a pseudo-defender who is just trying to get into his peripheral vision and get a shooting foul.

I find it hard to believe that this rule is called consistently for no other reason that to say that I watched a lot of Duke games this year to see Luke Kennard, who is one of the biggest violators of this so-called rule.

Regardless, it was a new interpretation for 2016-17 and will take time to be accepted and called as stated.

King Rollo the Rules Interpreter...OUT!

FWIW, 30+ votes is pretty good so I'll do another Gazoo inspired YMtC next week. I have a bunch of games this weekend at the RecPlex so I'm sure I'll have some good examples to include on Monday.
CT Flyer (06-08-2017), Gazoo (06-12-2017), superfan99 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 12:49 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Regardless, it was a new interpretation for 2016-17 and will take time to be accepted and called as stated.
What was the old rule?

And do you know if the NBA is adopting the same rule? That would make it harder (but not impossible since we all pretend like the rules are fair for everyone) for the refs in the NBA to pump up the stats of the guys with the biggest contracts.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
What was the old rule?

And do you know if the NBA is adopting the same rule? That would make it harder (but not impossible since we all pretend like the rules are fair for everyone) for the refs in the NBA to pump up the stats of the guys with the biggest contracts.
The old rule allowed the shooter to lean into any and all defenders.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Curry did this exact thing last night and got the call. Korver was in the air to contest a shot. He had an angle such that he would have flown past Curry without hitting him. Curry jumped to sideways to shoot and a foul was called. Should have been either a no-call or an offensive foul.

I don't watch a lot of NBA basketball, but I've read that Harden made a living off that play. They gotta do something about it. It's ugly to watch.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (06-14-2017), rollo (06-13-2017)