UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,164 Times in 5,120 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
A10 Womens Soccer All-Conference Predictions

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19171

These picks are always tough. A lot of solid players and not enough room to recognize all of them. LaSalle is going to take a couple spots away from worthy UD players, but thats how it should be. When UD wins the league, UD typically gets well represented too.

My biggest question mark is Midfielder of the Year. Garcia is very good. I just dont know if there's enough room in the A10 First Team for four worthy Flyers given the third place showing. And I just didnt take the time to scout the other midfielders around the league this season. Its hard for even the best midfielders to stand out at times because few heroics take place in the midfield.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
A-10 Awards

From the La Salle web site - hence the formatting. Not posted on A-10 site. Room for a lot of disagreement, but it is what it is.

Coach of the Year – Paul Royal, La Salle
Offensive Player of the Year – Becca Wann, Richmond
Defensive Player of the Year – Melissa Sanger, La Salle
Midfielder of the Year – Mo Hawkins, Saint Joseph's
Rookie of the Year – Kelsey Haycook, La Salle

FIRST TEAM
Becca Wann, Richmond, F
Colleen Williams, Dayton, F
Kelsey Haycook, La Salle, F
Mo Hawkins, Saint Joseph's, MF
Renee Washington, La Salle, MF
Alexis Garcia, Dayton, MF
Tori Burchett, St. Bonaventure, MF
Jess Hopton, La Salle, D
Kathleen Beljan, Dayton, D
Meghan Collins, Massachusetts, D
Melissa Sanger, La Salle, GK

SECOND TEAM
Kelsey Smigel, Dayton, F
Julie Morrissey, Massachusetts, F
Niki Conn, Temple, F
Jen Pfeiffer, Saint Joseph's, F
Moa Mattsson, Massachusetts, MF
Alexis Veith, Rhode Island, MF
Natalie LeClair, Richmond, MF
Kristen Lescalleet, Richmond, D
Samantha Cloutier, G. Washington, D
Lauren Heap, Xavier, D
Emily Cota, Massachusetts, GK
Melissa Pacheco, Richmond, GK

ALL ROOKIE
Kelsey Haycook, La Salle
Kelsey Smigel, Dayton
Moa Mattsson, Massachusetts
Katie Markesberry, Xavier
Kristina Maksuti, Fordham
Melissa Alvarez-Freeman, Richmond
Tori Sousa, Massachusetts
Abbey Stock, Saint Louis
Maryam Huseini, La Salle
Ashley Williams, Richmond
Amanda Jones, Charlotte

ALL ACADEMIC
Kathleen Beljan, Dayton
Melissa Sanger, La Salle
Courtney David, Rhode Island
Jennifer Andrews, St. Bonaventure
Emily Kenyon, Dayton
Jourdan McVicker, La Salle
Colleen Williams, Dayton
Renee Washington, La Salle
Juliana Libertin, Dayton
Morgan Herbert, Duquesne
Diana Allen, La Salle
Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
A few thoughts:

- No gripes with Offensive or Defensive Player of the Year or Coach of the Year or Rookie of the Year. Great players on top teams.

All of the above I basically predicted would or could happen with few grumbles.

Midfielder of the Year Mo Hawkins from St. Joseph's has me somewhat baffled. For a Hawk team that finished 2-4-3 in the A10 and .500 overall, she must have been the greatest Midfielder since sliced bread to wield her dominance on a shaky team. The Flyers played and beat SJU and while the game was close, I dont remember a Hawk midfielder giving me the impression that 'wow, thats the best mid in the league.'

I realize there are a lot of good players in the league, but how does Temple finish 2-6-1 in the A10, 5-12-1 overall, but has a striker made the All-Conference team and Juliana Libertin doesn't even get a sniff with her numbers on a 16-3 team that beat Kentucky, Ohio State, and Kansas?

Williams and Garcia on First Team is fair. Beljan is a first team player all day and twice on Sundays, but she missed some matches this year and was never at full strength. I feel like Beljans street cred hurt Emily Kenyon's recognition here -- not that either really care.

Smigel on Second Team is fair.

And what can you say about Emily Kenyon, the bacon saver in many respects of the 2011 Flyer season. To say she's not one of the 20 best field players in the A10 is a slap in the face to anyone that follows the sport, let alone ever kicked a ball or two in their past lives. This is the Allie Giner snub from a year ago.

I understand the urge to share the recognition. Everybody gets a trophy of some size. Over the years however, there continues to be a giant void of legitimate scouting or care taken into some of these postseason awards. Its not an easy process. No one is totally happy. Still, my feeling is the league votes on box scores and not what their eyes tell them. Some of the best players in this league aren't boxscore friendly kind of players.

To think Libertin and Kenyon arent among the 15 best players in the league, let alone 20, is just certified nuts. I would not trade them for any other pair of players in the league, period.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Resurrecting this thread. I emailed McGlade and the Director of Championships at the A10 about adding a Third Team All Conference to better reflect the top players in the league that are currently getting left out. A Third Team would also allow for a more accurate spread across the three teams based on how all the players did throughout the season.

The Big East has 16(?) soccer schools and has three teams. The A10 has 2 teams. The A10 is a large soccer conference, unlike 8- and 10-team leagues. We need a larger pool to recognize.

Space is always a factor in getting accurate representation. I dont know for sure how the A10 coaches ballots are designed to work, but Ive voted for A10 womens basketball and A10 soccer tourney teams in the past and there are a number of requirements you have to fulfill in order to cast the ballot.

For instance when I voted for the basketball media poll and preseason teams, you cant vote for any players on the host school in your media market.

As to how the A10 soccer coaches handle this, it's likely they nominate three or four players from their own team to the general A10 postseason awards ballot. Once the ballot is created with all the players, the coaches cast a limited number of votes for players on all teams but their own.

If thats the case, Coach Tucker's hands are totally tied on this. He's got 5-7 legitimate All-Conference talents that are absolutely fool-proof, but cannot get all of them on the ballot. So he has to pick favorites among his own team and make a couple players sacrificial lambs that are just as worthy. He's a victim of the system -- and the success he has created at UD. While its largely out of his control, I feel for the players. I feel for the Libertins and Kenyons that could start for just about any Big10 team they wanted, but elected to come here and be Flyers.

So adding a third team eases the congestion in how many players a coach can nominate and vote for. The league certainly has the size to add a third team, and certainly has the talent to. And with the unbalanced pods forcing coaches to cast ballots on some kids they never competed against during the season, it affords some greater flexibility and margin for error. Its not like the A10 is tabulating a million votes here. A couple fouled up ballots could mean the difference between a player making All-Conference or being left out completely. More votes spreads the risk of that happening to the most deserving players.

When you have Beljan, Kenyon, Willy, Libertin, Smigel, and Garcia, how are you supposed to choose just three or four when all of them are league bell cows? It puts a guy like MT is a lousy spot. Maybe they figured nobody in the league would ever have that many quality players on the same team at the same time. Regardless, I think there's room for tweaking the process and the selections.

What may invariably happen is some UD players miss out on All A10 recognition but end up making All Mid-Atlantic Region.

I'll post the letter I sent to the A10 later tonight, along with any response I get.

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
AustinFlyer (11-08-2011), Avid Flyer (11-08-2011), College B-Ball Fan (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 PM

The email I sent to the A10 office yesterday..

Bernadette, Ed, and Lucas-

I don’t write many letters to voice my opinion, but I feel compelled to do so in this instance.

As the primary curator of the University of Dayton fan base for the past 16 years, I’ve spent the last 12 providing coverage and support for the UD men’s and women’s soccer teams. More so, I’ve been a passionate follower of A10 soccer and without patting myself on the back too much, I’d like to think I can speak semi-intelligently on both the Flyers, the A10, and the historical context of A10 soccer over the last 12 seasons.

I’m asking you to consider adding a third All-Conference Team in the future to recognize the players that have made significant contributions to this league, but have been pushed out of post-season recognition because of the limited space in the existing nomination process. Let me be clear: the last thing any of us want is to hand out too many awards to water down the accomplishments of the very best. That said, I think the talent of the league and size of the league deserves a Third Team All-Conference for the following reasons:

1. The A10 is a large conference with 14 soccer-playing programs. Assuming the average A10 program utilizes 17 players in their normal playing rotation, that’s 238 players making weekly contributions to the conference. Acknowledging the Top 22 players on First and Second Teams recognizes just 9.2% of the eligible players. Were this an eight- or 10-team league, perhaps two teams would be adequate. The All Rookie team is just that: reserved for freshmen only and not necessarily a reflection of the best overall players in the conference.

2. Several teams in the A10 are regionally and nationally competitive, with many high-level players that oftentimes get side-stepped at the expense of space limitations on coaching ballots. Some schools in the A10 are clearly the class of the conference, but there is a temptation to spread the wealth and provide some recognition to every team. Rather than take away minimal but important recognition from less successful schools by piling up on players from the elite programs, adding a Third Team eases the congestion and allows more of the top players to receive recognition without adversely affecting players from less successful teams. With three teams, the talents of the player are also more accurately represented by placing them on teams with equally-skilled conference mates. Additionally, it provides the coaches with far greater flexibility to nominate players that might not stand out in season-ending A10 stat charts, but nonetheless pass the look test with their on-field play. Soccer is a fluid sport. The best players oftentimes affect matches in ways that do not show up in box scores.

3. With unbalanced pod scheduling, coaches do not see all of the teams and players during the season. The nomination process is already difficult. Asking coaches to vote for players sight unseen or on last year’s memory begs for a Third Team to provide more flexibility.

4. Finally, here are two examples of A10 players with All-Conference talent as good or better than this year’s selections, but overlooked because of space or other legitimate limitations in the nomination process:

Juliana Libertin (Sophomore, Dayton) – Libertin is one of just two A10 players to accumulate at least 10 goals and 10 assists this season, the other being Flyer All-American teammate Colleen Williams. In the last THREE seasons, Williams and Libertin are the only A10 players to post a double-double. She finished fifth in the A10 in points and was one of the toughest matchups for opposing teams all season. Libertin’s only crutch was sharing the field with two other 10-goal scorers (Williams, and 2nd Teamer Kelsey Smigel).

Emily Kenyon (Senior, Dayton) – Like Libertin, Kenyon suffers from the noise of association. Former Hermann Trophy nominee Kathleen Beljan (Dayton) is a worthy selection, but Kenyon has been as consistent and competent in the Flyer defense all season. In fact, she is having one of the best defensive seasons in Flyer history – which is no small compliment considering the pedigree of the program. Those that have watched and properly evaluated her play would come to the same conclusion I have.

I realize these All-Conference teams are not an exact science. Every year there are talented players not recognized. For the reasons I have outlined however and with two examples of players not recognized by the league but in all likelihood soon to be recognized as All Mid-Atlantic Region, now is the time to re-consider the nomination process, number of players recognized, and reconcile the fact that some teams in the A10 command greater attention than others. I’m sure there are other A10 players on other teams that played legitimate All-Conference soccer, but were casualties of a numbers game as well. The intent here is not to over-populate the recognition; rather, size the recognition fairly to the size and talent of the conference. The conference has a lot of good players. The NSCAA certainly thinks so. Amend the postseason All-Conference nomination process to reflect that.

Thanks for listening,

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-09-2011), Flyer Dave (11-09-2011), Whacker (11-09-2011)