UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,171 Times in 5,125 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA: Dayton at Louisville

Pure garbage. Should have had a home game. Our RPI is much better than Louisville. But, this is what you have to expect at times when you are not in the BCS Mafia. Based on our RPI, we should have been the equivalent of a #5-6 seed in basketball.

Tough matchup. Louisville has a sophomore striker thats among the best in the country and scored on us in an exhibition two years ago. Still, we can win this. Anywhere, anytime. Roll the ball out.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Did this road game have anything to do with the UL facilities or attendance, or is it simply the old skanky NCAA politics?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Who knows. UL has a terrific facility no doubt, but that should mean VERY LITTLE in the First Round where all matches are one-game/one-site. Baujan is perfectly fine.

Game could have been played at either venue. UD clearly had the RPI advantage and should have been rewarded for that with a home game. In years past UD has been rewarded for this, at other times been hosed. You always have to prove just a little more when you are in the A10. When the numbers are against you, everyone touts the numbers as an excuse to nail you. When you have the numbers in your corner, they tout the numbers as being not that important.

I about DIED when the Duke coach got on TV and tried to go to bat for North Carolina State with a 1-7-2 conference record. ONE LEAGUE WIN!!! If you are in the ACC and can only win one game in that league, you are doing so little with so much, they ought to take the soccer balls away. At least the committee got this one right.

Time to gas up and head to Louisville!

Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Avid Flyer posted this a few days ago:" Dayton did not put in a bid to host the first round tournament so they will be on the road somewhere in the midwest. With our luck it will be up at OSU again.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM

CAN WE STOP WITH THIS STUPID RUMOR ONCE AND FOR ALL????? ITS NOT TRUE.

Jesus. Ive debunked it five times already.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton is the ONLY team in the whole freakin tournament playing a lower RPI team on the road in the first round. Absolutely, positively, stinks. Screw em. Go kick some ass.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Not only is this patently unfair, its tasteless. Obviously the committee made a strong effort to reward higher-ranked teams with home matches (as they should). Credit them for that. Thats why teams work so hard during the season in order to earn a home game in the NCAAs. But obviously they noticed Dayton vs. Louisville was a problem, compared it to the rest of their seeding and scheduling, and decided a Dayton home game was not appropriate or fair to the teams or the bracket.

Id just like to know what was so unusual about Dayton's resume' that made them the only exception in the entire bracket. I could ask the NCAA, but they never give me anything but canned boilerplate responses.

I realize Louisville's facility is first-class, but Baujan Field has hosted twice before. Not that it was ultimately a reason for the decision, but just one more secondary reason to continue to make improvements to Baujan Field. There are few better settings in soccer than the Bo'. UofLs soccer complex is next to an interstate.

If they wanna play that way, we can play that way too. Game on.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
If they wanted bigger and by the interstate we could have used Welcome field.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Kick butt ladies! Go F;yers, bring home a win! Take it to them, just like the last three matches.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
What a joke! I agree, why at Louisville? We clearly have a better record and deserve the home match. That's the NCAA for you people.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Dayton got hosed again...

I have to say, this is becoming a pattern with the NCAA. We've been hosed quite a bit as a school and as a program over the years. I think back to having to play Illinois State, Cincinnati, Illinois, and Ohio State on the road in the NIT. All of those should have been at UD Arena if you look at UD's RPI. (I know that's basketball not soccer.) My point is that it's becoming a pattern with the NCAA. There is no way you can justify UD play at Louisville.

Is there any outlet for a fan's frustration? Is there an email address for the NCAA that a complaint can be registered. We need to start flooding the NCAA with complaints everytime they crap on UD. The squeaky wheel get the grease boys. Apparently, UD isn't greasing enough palms.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
No doubt we got hosed.... It must be a fine line to walk for our AD. We have to play nice to obtain the "First Four" games, obtain NCAA volleyball matches, gain an autobid to the FCS playoffs for the PFL etc. Being a non-BCS school, we have somewhat limited influence and there is no doubt that NCAA will typically favor the BCS schools over the non-BCS schools no matter what they say in public. I guess the real point is that UD is limited in the ability to complain because we have to kiss you know what for the other things we want from the NCAA.... I would guess this fine line is a reason why UD might not want a bunch of us fans complaining to the NCAA. Hopefully, our team goes to Kentucky and wins 10-0! I will be hoping for total domination. At the end of the day, that is the best way to highlight the NCAA's hosing of our program.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
At a minimum, I hope UD registered a complaint using the proper diplomatic channels.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Im awaiting word on what happened. We either failed to put in a bid or the NCAA overlooked us. I dont think theres anything A10 volleyball related (or anything for that matter) that would have affected us hosting but we shall see. I wasnt questioning what Avid heard on the A10 videocast, but the message itself.

Bids needed to be in by Oct. 26. Theres nothing going on on-campus this weekend. Volleyball is out of town, mens soccer season is over, football is out of town. Other than a basketball game at 2pm at the Arena, its a quiet Saturday. JJ's team plays Friday night.

Ill let you know. At this point its water over the bridge. The task is to beat Louisville at Louisville and we can do that. A soccer writer at All White Kit website thinks we can make it to the Sweet 16 and perhaps Elite 8. One a a time, but I love his enthusiasm!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Chris R:

If you don't mind, please shoot out some updates during Saturday's game, via Facebook. I'll be at the Mizzou/Texas football game and have limited technology (and probably sobriety) access.

I think it sucks that we have to play at UofL. On a side note, my daugter's select soccer assistant coaches have one who played at UofL and one who played club at UD. Should make for some fun verbal sparring this week.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
As I posted in pm to Chris R, the only thing that came to mind why Dayton may not have bid on the first round game was the burden on the staff hosting three events three weekends in a row.

Not sure just how big our staff is, but they had ample time to prepare for the two A-10 events and little to none to prepare for the NCAA.

The A-10 logo would have to be stripped off the field and the NCAA logo put in its place. Not sure of the logistics but that is what came off the top of my head. Don't mean I'm right just my thoughts.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,419 Times in 2,487 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
First, I'm not a big follower of soccer, but I've enjoyed the few UD women's matches I've seen over the years via video streaming.

And I certainly understand the fan's disappointment in not hosting, but I'll need to see a little more details before I buy into the NCAA has shafted UD in the tournament hosting area.

It's unfortunate that UD is the only higher ranked RPI team not hosting. But we have hosted in recent years and we don't know if we even put in a bid. And even if we did put in a bid, each year the NCAA looks to EXPAND it's fan base and is always looking for new venues to bring the tournament. UD has benefited from that in the past. Volleyball is a prime example. We were awarded the Regional last year based on that principal -- taking the sport at a high level to new places. We also got the first weekend last year. Two years ago we traveled to ILL after hosting the previous two years. Three years ago we hosted and we were the 3rd ranked RPI team in the pod. Tulsa was the seeded team and Western Michigan had a higher RPI. I think we were 3rd and Lipscomb below us that year in RPI. We might have even been 4th?? We were an at-large entry and it quite frankly shocked even the team and coaches we made it in and then we got to host too.

What I do know is UD has been very active in putting in bids to host. I also know that host schools have to guarantee attendance numbers or make up the difference - meaning cough up cash to the NCAA. Anyone know if we met those numbers last time around??? If we didn't bid, that might be the reason why. In these tough economic times the University might have passed on a bid if it had problems meeting the guarantees in recent years. There is only so much money to go around these days and it might not have been an option this year.

In the mean time...GO FLYERS!!!! Good Luck in Louisville.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 11-08-2011 at 05:26 PM..
Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Becky, of the 24 Conference championships held on Sunday, Dayton vs. UMass was the second highest attended game in the country. Only the ACC Final drew better.

Attendance has never been an issue in UD womens soccer.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
CAN WE STOP WITH THIS STUPID RUMOR ONCE AND FOR ALL????? ITS NOT TRUE.

Jesus. Ive debunked it five times already.
What rumor???
Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 PM

That the A10 VBall Tourney prevented us from hosting NCAA WSOC First Round. The UD Volleyball team wont even be on campus this weekend.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
That the A10 VBall Tourney prevented us from hosting NCAA WSOC First Round. The UD Volleyball team wont even be on campus this weekend.
For clarification the reference to vball being the reason for not hosting the NCAA was not that the two events would be on the same week end but rather the staff would have to hurry and sandwich another tournament inbetween two A-10 events which may have been too great a burden on the staff. It seems to me they may have a smaller staff this year and I base that solely on the fact there were fewer video streamings this year. Couple times in particular there were no streaming of home vball games. Can't say as I recall that in the recent past.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM

That is no excuse. I would have got in my car, driven to UD, and helped out for free if it was a manpower issue.

Still awaiting word on what the deal is. Will report when I hear something.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Heres a good plug from Graham Hays at ESPN on Dayton's chances of advancing in the NCAAs. Notice he references our unfortunate spot of playing on the road ( I still have not heard why we are not hosting):

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...racket-edition

All White Kit has us advancing to the Sweet-16:

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=8217#more-8217

Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Haven't heard a peep since I sent a request on Monday.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:17 AM

All White Kit NCAA First Round Preview: Dayton vs. Louisville

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=8251#more-8251

Notice the comment in Quick Reaction, making reference to the goofy venue of this match no one can (or will) provide an adequate explanation for that passes the smell test. My aggravation is not forcing fans to drive to Louisville, its giving up almost a full goal in home field advantage based on the RPI factor for home field.

Nonetheless, a pretty accurate assessment from the Flyers perspective. I think everyone keeps snoozing on Emily Kenyon however. She's the game-changer in this one. I stick her on Exeter and let her use her speed to disrupt her all game. You dont want to get into a shoving match with Exeter because she'll bull-rush past you just like Willy. But you can counter physicality with speed. Kathleen is super quick (and who ISNT a Beljan fan), but Kenyon has the turbo button and a little more beef. I use Beljan or Miller to tag-team and make someone else for the Cards beat us.

My other wildcard is Emery in the middle. Came on strong late, with physical play in the middle. Goalkeeping might win or lose this one if its a close match. Especially if things go into PKs. Dayton's best chance is to just win this in regulation.

My 2 cents anyway.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 AM
1st Lieutenant

st marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone know of any online streaming of the game?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by st marys View Post
Anyone know of any online streaming of the game?
Try this - from Louisville site

http://www.uoflsports.com/allaccess/?media=280110
Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM

I will be tweeting from Louisville as time allows. Follow @UDPride.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Question for all you soccer experts. Does it matter that you are on the sideline when you throw the ball in? I've seen the cards twice step half way over, so I am guessing it doesn't matter. Is the field pretty bare or is it just that the video is bad and makes it look worse. Come on Flyers! Kick butt!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 PM
General

Thanked 4,540 Times in 2,057 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Score

1-0 Louisville at the half . . .

Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Update anyone? Can't be more than 20 min left and we are still down 1-0
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
We lost 2-0.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Colonel

So disappointed in this game, but a wonderful season for the team.