User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
What happens today?

For those of you in tune with the team what do you expect today in terms of personel, strategy and results?
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Historically, Coach Tucker does not make a lot of lineup changes once the season starts. Usually, those things are sorted out during the spring matches. He may tweak the minutes on the field some - especially as some of the freshmen get experience - but rarely does he make more than 1 or at the most 2 lineup changes for a particular match - i.e. players starting and/or the position they play on the field.

That being said, this season is more unsettled than most, and may require some more significant adjustments. His options seem limited and I really don't know what he will do. However, with the NCAA at-large option gone, it would seem now is the time for experimentation.

All the above is the long way of saying - "I don't have a clue what coach will do."
Old 09-07-2012, 04:35 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
If Tucker wanted to turn the apple cart upside down, I would consider something like this:

GK: ---------------------- BETANCOURT -----------------------
SW: ----------------------- CAMPBELL -------------------------
D: ROSE ---------------- MALLON ------------------ SCHARER
M: LIBERTIN ------- GARCIA ---------- WATERS ---------- SIVIC
F: ---------CHILTON ------------------------ WILLIAMS--------------

This is making a change from a 3-4-3 (although at times we look like a 3-5-2) and going to a 4-4-2 with a sweeper. Tucker used to play with a sweeper back in the Erin Showalter days and they were good times, but the defense was so good, he found that he could cheat and get away with three defenders in recent years.

We have to accomplish a couple of things.

1. Make the existing defense play better (this include the mids). You do this and you dont need to change anything. Short of this however:

2. You have to add another defender to the back, or

3. You have to ramp up your athleticism and physicality in the back.

I think we need some of both. Campbell in the back is completely off the scripted page, but she has size and has a good ball-winning attitude in the attack. I would think that attitude translates anywhere on the field. We are getting killed with losing possession and giveaways in the defensive third -- and our clearing by both foot and head has been a significant liability in most of the matches.

There are some obvious names missing from my starting XI, but I think there are a few who need to rededicate themselves to winning the ball and not watching the ball.

This lineup might be a disaster. Its the reset button where you take a step backward to take a step forward. More of a motivational/psychological tactic than anything. I dont think anything close to this happens quite frankly.

But I would not be surprised to see us go back to a sweeper if the goal surrendering avalanche continues. Tucker is familiar with coaching it and knows how to make it work.

I might keep most things the same compared to the last match but move Campbell to a sweeper. Sweepers have no marking responsibilities so the learning curve is not as much as you think. You just need to always stay goalside and back up your teammates. More physicality and ball-winning is what we're missing in spades. I'm open to suggestions on who else might be able to pitch in and help back there.

Offensively I think we can do what we need to, provided we're not giving away un-earned goals. We just make teams work harder for their scoring and we probably do enough to fix the problem.

Not giving up. We havent become the best program in the A10 because we havent had to solve problems at times.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 PM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of 3-1 wins this weekend - Harvard and Northeastern. Neither will get any national recognition. As expected, no nuclear option this weekend, but some tweaks. Campbell and Chilton start in place of Emery and Smigel. Still no clean sheet. Was able to watch the first half today via the Northeastern feed. Thought the Northeastern goal was a tad soft. Melchert got caught cheating near post and a long looping shot got over her head and behind her. Next up, Wright State at Baujan Friday night.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 AM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Northeastern's coach kind of intimated it was a GK mistake as well. I did not see the goal as I started watching a few minutes before Emery tied it up, but here's how NU's coach described things in her post-game interview.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

On a side note I thought the NU broadcast was very very good. I think it was in HD and the graphics and replays were excellent. Not sure the color man added much, but overall I think NU did a great job for conference they are in. Only real criticism was the dude manning the camera who fell asleep a little too often.

Nice to see other programs doing free video feeds. Makes you appreciate UD's efforts.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Here's highlights (mostly Harvard highlights) from the 3-1 win in Cambridge. Melchert had a very good save early in the video. Couple defensive miscues later on. But, no real Flyer highlights so hard to tell how things went.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Goodness, those Harvard highlights were the good (Melchert save), the bad (Senoyuit getting beat that leads to a 1v1 with the keeper and then a no-call hand ball on somebody when Harvard scored) and the ugly (Willy fails to put away a 1v1 with the keeper).