User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
North Florida thoughts

1. Great to see Flyer basketball back
2. Six turnovers? Amazing
3. Zero for Landers. Zero for Crutcher.
4. Thought the D looked great.
5. Especially against the three... Not a lot of good looks
6. Why was Toppin back in when we were up 18?
7. I didnt see any noticible improvements to the arena, maybe they are in the concourses? Dunno.
8. What I did see was still a weird, unnatural camera angle that is too high. Maybe its just me.
9. Or maybe I'm high
10. I was drinking. Welcome back all.

CoffeeCan
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2018, 11:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, crutcher had one. DAVIS had zero. Still, one for Crutcher is still awesome.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
we had two double doubles also, Trey and Obi.. pretty good game considering Josh was out with an injury
Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
CoffeeCan: Your point 5 is spot on. I don't think the Flyers' defense in general was that great, but when it came to defending the three-ball, they were very good. This is the kind of team that could defeat you if you didn't defend the three-ball. Now, the big guy schooled the Flyers in the paint. Obi consistently let him get too deep in the paint where he could shoot that jump-hook shoot. That aside, the Flyers knew what they needed to do defensively and they accomplished that. I think that was the key to winning the game.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest takeaway for me was that we did it all sans Josh. This is absolutely a team that can cause you fits, especially in an opener. I cringed a little when I saw this was the first game.

As long as Toppin and Josh can at least manage not to be injured at the same time we should be okay.

Cohill and Matos looked great. Plug-and-play. Did Policelli touch the court? Or either of the walk-ins that might get PT this year? If so I missed both. Frankie seems to be the odd man out in terms of the rotation.

Hard to take too much from an opener against a one-dimensional (somewhat gimmicky) squad, but overall I was happy.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
CoffeeCan: Your point 5 is spot on. I don't think the Flyers' defense in general was that great, but when it came to defending the three-ball, they were very good. This is the kind of team that could defeat you if you didn't defend the three-ball. Now, the big guy schooled the Flyers in the paint. Obi consistently let him get too deep in the paint where he could shoot that jump-hook shoot. That aside, the Flyers knew what they needed to do defensively and they accomplished that. I think that was the key to winning the game.
The same defense that guarded the 3 last night well, couldn't guard back cuts from a DIII team.

That is something that needs to get shored up. If North Florida wasn't so 3 ball dependent (which is what we can guard) then there wasn't much that would prove that we can guard off ball movement and cuts to the rim.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:27 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
I really hope Policelli can come along and provide some depth. From what I saw last night, Josh and Obi on the floor together is going to force some tough defensive choices on teams.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:39 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Obi looked really good against that team. His hands are great. He received a lot of difficult passes and bailed the passers out. He is really quick around the rim and had some very nice offensive rebound/put-backs in addition to his highlight reel of dunks.

I almost spit my beer through my nose while farting through my ears when I saw him limping from possible injury. It threw my whole system in reverse.

Last edited by Fudd; 11-08-2018 at 07:44 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-08-2018), frisco flyer (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Hows JC wrist?
Day to day? Injured in practice?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
How was Mikesell moving?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
2. Six turnovers? Amazing
I was ****ed at the ESPN box score. I kept refreshing the screen, determined to find the "actual" number of turnovers we had. WHY WON'T THIS STUPID THING UPDATE PAST THE FIRST 5 MINUTES?!?! WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE STATS?!?!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-08-2018), MNFats (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
So what's up with the student section??

The left side 100 level was full. The left side 200 level was 2/3 full. That's fine.

The right side 100 level was occupied by the band who was scattered all over.

The right side 200 level was maybe 20% occupied by bystanders.

Q1) Why wasn't the band limited to the first 4-5 rows and the left side 200 level students directed to sit behind and around them in order to fill the entire 100 level of both sides of the student section?

Q2) Why was the student section split?

It looked ridiculous.
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-08-2018), MNFats (11-08-2018), Radar (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:08 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
I'm excited to see Obi and Josh together.

My main takeaway from Obi was how active he was. He wasn't shy about getting his hands on the ball and making something happen. He was a big physical presence down there. I can't remember ever having a guy that big AND that athletic. Maybe someone can refresh my memory. Kostas was that athletic...and that tall...but not that big.

Mrs. MNFats frequently makes comments (usually when playing VCU) about why other teams always have these players that look like grown men and we have players that look fresh out of high school. Watching Obi last night, she mentioned Obi being the type of player other teams seem to have, but not us.

He was fun to watch.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-08-2018), steverino015 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
How was Mikesell moving?
Much better than in the exhibition game where I had my concerns about his defensive ability and lack of movement, but that might have been due to the ankle sprain he was coming off of at the time. Long term I think he will be fine, maybe minor concern if he continues to play well over 30 minutes a game.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-08-2018), mikeymo85 (11-08-2018), Sid Louick (11-08-2018), steverino015 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
It was an opening game for a young team with their senior captain out. This game could have gone wrong for any number of reasons. Especially against a run-and-gun team that's experienced as a unit.

I still saw a lot of defensive issues. Slow help defense, man-on-man burns, stupid fouls, a pretty feeble looking big (albeit a relatively skilled big) having his way with us inside, etc. Still, it was good enough to win the game.

I thought Obi and Mikesell looked really good. It's nice to see a more mobile, yet still "court smart" Ryan on the floor. Obi could be a really exciting player, but like many raw athletes, he needs to pick up some of the court smarts and not try to force the game as he did numerous times. But, hey, heck of a game to kick off his career in the red and white without his senior counterpart.

I also liked much of what I saw from Jordan. Some of those defensive plays were nice! He also took good shots, made a couple nice, aggressive drives and in general played a mature, high-energy game. It was no surprise to see Trey bring the energy either, though it certainly wasn't his best game. He can change the game when he's really on, but we already know this.

All things considered, it was an alright performance. I'm looking forward to seeing how Matos and Cohill progress through these first few games as the jitters wear off. And Policelli, he definitely seems to be the low man of the totem poll for now, but hopefully he's playing hard and continues to improve to where he can contribute. It says a lot that he appeared to be a good bench cheerleader for the troops on the floor.
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
So what's up with the student section??

The left side 100 level was full. The left side 200 level was 2/3 full. That's fine.

The right side 100 level was occupied by the band who was scattered all over.

The right side 200 level was maybe 20% occupied by bystanders.

Q1) Why wasn't the band limited to the first 4-5 rows and the left side 200 level students directed to sit behind and around them in order to fill the entire 100 level of both sides of the student section?

Q2) Why was the student section split?

It looked ridiculous.
Q3) Why was the band late in arriving? Willie kept looking at his watch, the door, the court, his watch, etc. I'm sure there was a good reason, just curious.

It does look pitiful when, other than sec 108, there is no sense of organization. The Clydesdales could've used those empty seats! RED SCARE, where are you?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
I'm excited to see Obi and Josh together.

My main takeaway from Obi was how active he was. He wasn't shy about getting his hands on the ball and making something happen. He was a big physical presence down there. I can't remember ever having a guy that big AND that athletic. Maybe someone can refresh my memory. Kostas was that athletic...and that tall...but not that big.

Mrs. MNFats frequently makes comments (usually when playing VCU) about why other teams always have these players that look like grown men and we have players that look fresh out of high school. Watching Obi last night, she mentioned Obi being the type of player other teams seem to have, but not us.

He was fun to watch.
He is definitely a grown a$$ man!!!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:05 AM
Colonel

I have been a little late to the party on Mikesell from the beginning, I just thought there were athletic limitations that would keep him from being more than a limited guy off the bench. I was wrong. He is just a darn solid player. You don't have to worry about him making reckless decisions with the ball, you don't have to worry about him playing outside himself. While he isn't going to intimidate anyone defensively, you can rely on the fact that the majority of the time he is going to be in the right position and handle the switches correctly. Guys flying at the rim is fun to watch but consistency wins alot of ballgames.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (11-08-2018), Glen Clark (11-08-2018), jack72 (11-08-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-08-2018), Sid Louick (11-08-2018), steverino015 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:10 AM
1st Lieutenant

TheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Q3) Why was the band late in arriving? Willie kept looking at his watch, the door, the court, his watch, etc. I'm sure there was a good reason, just curious.

It does look pitiful when, other than sec 108, there is no sense of organization. The Clydesdales could've used those empty seats! RED SCARE, where are you?
The band missed their bus to the arena. Had to wait for another one to arrive.
Mad Props to TheSixthMan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
North Florida Observations

What I liked:
1. The WIN without JC
2. Two Double Doubles by Obi and Trey
3. Jordan Davis treys
4. Jalen Cruthcher superior PG play
5. The return of a healthy, talented Mikesell (pronounced Mikesle by Spectrum)
6. Poise of Cohill and Matos
7. Few turnovers
8. Foul shooting
9. Full court ball pressure m-t-m after made shots
10. Flyers held North Florida to 70 points. I had them scoring 79.
11. A beautiful arena

What I question:
1. Too many minutes played for guys who cramped up (Toppin and Crutcher)
2. Too few minutes for Matos
3. Post defense is still appalling
4. Surrendered a 20 point lead in the final 5 minutes by being too conservative
5. Space added to the interior of the arena yet more crowded and harder to
navigate
6. Big screens showed few stats in the first half of the game (Boo!)
7. Missed seeing Frankie Pollicelli
Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
What I liked:
5. The return of a healthy, talented Mikesell (pronounced Mikesle by Spectrum)
Gotta love amateur TV.

Speaking of TV...did TV Ted Valentine not secure his spot as college basketball's worst official? Calling fouls from half court when the two closer officials shook their heads side to side as NF players complained, then having his usual rabbit ears and responding to spectators heckling him. What a moron.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-08-2018), longtimefan (11-08-2018), mikeymo85 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:20 PM
General

Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post
I still saw a lot of defensive issues. . . a pretty feeble looking big (albeit a relatively skilled big) having his way with us inside
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
What I question:
3. Post defense is still appalling
Can someone explain these comments?

The box score shows Horchler went 7-11 against us, and was 2-4 from 3. Therefore he "had his way" with us by making 5 shots inside the arc in 31 minutes of game time? We only gave him 7 shots and he had his way with us??

Their other guys listed as starting forwards, Aminu (1-6) and Sams (4-9, 2-5 from 3, so 2 shots made inside the arc) also do not appear to have "had their way" with us.

They made 25 total shots. 17 were made inside the arc. The people listed on the official roster as forwards made 9 inside the arc, in 22 attempts. Not great, not soul-crushing bad either.

A bit harsh, maybe? By that definition, basically every player on our team except Cohill and Matos had our way with them.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-08-2018), m21eagle45 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Boys played well last nite. Many positives, D was better and this kids are really good at passing and moving the ball. We will of course get a better feel when they step up in the Bahamas. The better more physical teams will try to push us out of our offense, so we shall see how this group handles that. I have now seen on TV all the ATEN teams play with the exception of Rhody and St Joe. There is no one we couldn't beat at least at home. The 9 man roster is the concern this year and we saw it right away with Josh and the boys wearing down at game end last nite. Josh will add to the depth issue but the point guard backup is a problem that will need to play out. The next two games should give the staff a chance to gauge what they can do there. IF we can get to Barclay healthy this team can win that Tourney. Lots of ups and downs along the way but in this conference we can do it and sets up a great 2019/20.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Colonel

Can someone explain these comments?

The box score shows Horchler went 7-11 against us, and was 2-4 from 3. Therefore he "had his way" with us by making 5 shots inside the arc in 31 minutes of game time? We only gave him 7 shots and he had his way with us??

Their other guys listed as starting forwards, Aminu (1-6) and Sams (4-9, 2-5 from 3, so 2 shots made inside the arc) also do not appear to have "had their way" with us.

They made 25 total shots. 17 were made inside the arc. The people listed on the official roster as forwards made 9 inside the arc, in 22 attempts. Not great, not soul-crushing bad either.

A bit harsh, maybe? By that definition, basically every player on our team except Cohill and Matos had our way with them.
The stats are not appalling but basically every time he got the ball in the paint he scored. Obi got backed down, stood straight up and then the guy made a little jump hook. I was surprised he never challenged him and as I pointed out in an earlier post it may well have been because AG warned him to stay out of foul trouble with Josh in sweats, (or because he witnessed a guy with a ton of talent who couldn’t stay on the floor last year). There were also some dribble drive breakdowns. All in all I thought they executed what I assume was the game plan, to guard the perimeter, well and showed a better ability to adjust to a change in the opposition’s offense than I remember seeing last year. On energy alone I think the defense has come a long way. I hope it continues.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I have been a little late to the party on Mikesell from the beginning, I just thought there were athletic limitations that would keep him from being more than a limited guy off the bench. I was wrong. He is just a darn solid player. You don't have to worry about him making reckless decisions with the ball, you don't have to worry about him playing outside himself. While he isn't going to intimidate anyone defensively, you can rely on the fact that the majority of the time he is going to be in the right position and handle the switches correctly. Guys flying at the rim is fun to watch but consistency wins alot of ballgames.
the Flyers had another player like that in years back, truly an unsung hero among other big names on the team.. a darn good all around player that just never made mistakes, great court sense and was always in the right place at the right time.. His name was Pat Murnan (spelling?).. it sounds like Ryan may be that type of player

if so, believe you me, that is a very good thing.. if he is similar at all to Pat, super!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-08-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Pat Murnen’s defensive job on ND All-American Austin Carr was a thing of beauty
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-09-2018), steverino015 (11-08-2018), TommyGola (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
post game press conf about 7 min
https://www.facebook.com/DaytonMBB/v...video_explicit
Old 11-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
No need to go back to Murnen. We have another on our team right now that fit the same bill. Remember a guy a couple years back that barely played as a frosh, and many people (on here and other) questioned and criticized that is now one heck of a player?

His name? Trey Landers.

Ironically, both may have been hindered at first glance by legitimate health issues. For those of us that have played high level sports, we know it doesn't take much to limit your ability to perform. That's why NFL WR's get sidelined for things like turf toe. Now both are healthy, and it appears both have some serious game!
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
Devin Oliver:

First two years were brutal
Mad Props to zmz723 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 05:42 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute

A bit harsh, maybe?
The post D a was worse than the stat line indicated. Mikesell got pushed around trying to body up in the paint. He got backed down as well as others. The opposing post would put the ball on the floor and continue to dribble with rare doubles from the perimeter and would keep backing down and have their way with there they wanted to go. Yes, they missed many of those opportunities, but our guys got pushed around pretty good by post players that were big.

Obi had trouble too. They were better than against Capital, but the stat line in no way was a good indicator of evaluating post D.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
pmcmullen (11-10-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 05:46 PM
General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
The post D a was worse than the stat line indicated. Mikesell got pushed around trying to body up in the paint. He got backed down as well as others. The opposing post would put the ball on the floor and continue to dribble with rare doubles from the perimeter and would keep backing down and have their way with there they wanted to go. Yes, they missed many of those opportunities, but our guys got pushed around pretty good by post players that were big.

Obi had trouble too. They were better than against Capital, but the stat line in no way was a good indicator of evaluating post D.

Then it was bad coaching, they should have thrown the ball into the post on every possession for a guaranteed good shot. I wonder why they didn't?
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Then it was bad coaching, they should have thrown the ball into the post on every possession for a guaranteed good shot. I wonder why they didn't?
UNF's gameplan is to shoot the 3 and shoot it as much as possible. They set a record a few years ago for 3's. We tend to guard the 3 pretty well. We don't guard back cuts and basket action as well due to overplaying the perimeter. That helped against a team that relies on the 3.

I am not stating that the overall D was bad, but the post D needs to get much better as UNF's post players were far from the best we will see this year. You can't let a guy put the ball on the floor at will and back players down without a double. If solo D in the low post is the game plan all year, I think we have problems based on what was observed so far. Our off ball D is pretty solid on the backside of the paint due to the athleticism.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (11-09-2018), Gazoo (11-09-2018), JimBo (11-09-2018), pmcmullen (11-10-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Captain

UD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really nice
Florida only took 6 3 point shots in the second half after shooting at a 40% clip in the first half.

Florida had great success underneath and tried to exploit it in the second half.

Interior D needs to get better.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Our defense last year was terrible. I don't think it is fair to expect the team to play lock down defense in their first game of the season. NF came into the game as a team that lives and dies by the 3, so our game plan, rightfully, was to stop the three. We pretty much did. To do that, we could not play help defense in the post, and our freshman and medical red shirt players got pushed around a little bit. I took away a lot more positives than negatives. We played much better defense than last year, and I expect the defense to continue improve.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Last year, North Florida shot 38% from 3, taking only about 7 more two point shots than three point shots per game and averaging 81 points per game.

Last night, North Florida shot 38% from 3, took 15 more two point shots than three point shots and scored 70 points.

Our defense was good, our gameplan was good. Let Horchler get his, do not let their leading scorer from last year, Gandia-Rosa get his. I'm not saying it was great defense, because we didn't stop dribble penetration well at all, but luckily for us, they didn't try it a whole lot because it's not their strength.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (11-08-2018), Gazoo (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Pat Murnen’s defensive job on ND All-American Austin Carr was a thing of beauty
Posted via Mobile Device
I suppose this is a as good a place as any to put in a Pat Murnen story.

I was living at University Hall which was five miles off campus and arrived back early from Christmas break. The school was still shut down for Christmas because of the break. To pass the time I was out in the plane hangar converted into basketball courts shooting hoops alone in what can only be described as a refrigerator since the temp was well below freezing in the unheated hangar. In walks Pat who asks whether he can shoot with me. He had traveled the five miles from the campus because the fieldhouse was still closed.

It gave the nets a chance to get some use since I could not hit a basket to save my life. But it showed me just how dedicated the players were and Pat in particular. As fans we can sometimes be pretty harsh on some of the team if they do not perform to our expectations but we should be aware of their effort and dedication regardless.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-09-2018), Jeff (11-09-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-09-2018), longtimefan (11-10-2018), shocka43 (11-09-2018), springborofan (11-09-2018), TXFlyerFan (11-09-2018), UDGutter2 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:45 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
The biggest takeaway for me was that we did it all sans Josh. This is absolutely a team that can cause you fits, especially in an opener. I cringed a little when I saw this was the first game.

As long as Toppin and Josh can at least manage not to be injured at the same time we should be okay.

Cohill and Matos looked great. Plug-and-play. Did Policelli touch the court? Or either of the walk-ins that might get PT this year? If so I missed both. Frankie seems to be the odd man out in terms of the rotation.

Hard to take too much from an opener against a one-dimensional (somewhat gimmicky) squad, but overall I was happy.
Policelli looked like a typical freshman.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Fudd;561248
I almost spit my beer through my nose while farting through my ears when I saw him limping from possible injury. It threw my whole system in reverse.[/QUOTE]

Hope they upgraded the men’s rooms.