Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Just off the Jet

CBB_Fan has a spectacular aura aboutCBB_Fan has a spectacular aura about
Thoughts from a Wichita State fan

First off, I want to emphasis that (contrary to what some in the media have said) we were screwed, and by we I mean both of us. As someone that roots for teams from the A10, WCC, and smaller conferences it sucks to be matched up against another team from a midmajor conference (though rumors have it that may change, for both of us).

Not only does it force out a team that could make a run early, IMHO those teams are usually usually underranked (no coincidence we tend to win when we play Indiana or Arizona round 1 and lost against VCU). And if we do win, it usually gets used against us at some point. The worst part of beating Gonzaga is that that win was used as evidence against us when we had a great year.

And, as someone that traveled with our team last year to the First Four I know first-hand how great Dayton's fans are. Any fan base that would pack their house to watch two other teams play is a team that loves college basketball, and I expect a great showing from Dayton in Indianapolis.

Second off, I'll share the two things I always say to our NCAA opponents. #1, if you beat us I'll be rooting for you next game and beyond. #2, above all I'm praying for a good, clean game with no injuries no matter the outcome.

Anyway, here is some basic information about our team and what to look for during the game:
  • We are a guard-focused team, that usually runs either 2 guards, 3 forwards or 3 guards, 1 forward, 1 center
  • We play a true 10 man rotation with almost no bench drop-off (one reason we ran up scores against bad teams is that our bench tended to keep the heat on)
  • We shoot 3s really well, with 8 guys above 38%
  • We haven't really been tested, with very few close games to determine our toughness under pressure
  • The teams that have given us fits have had either quick guards (our guards are tall but not super quick) or good shotblockers
  • We are really unexperienced, with no real senior leadership

And here's some players and tendencies:

11 Landry Shamet - 6'5 PG: Started off at SG, but once moved to PG we improved quite a lot. He's been really hot from 3 and can take it to the hole, but his footspeed doesn't quite match the 5'10 speedster type PGs. He scores with craft moves off drives and off corner/wing 3s.

33 Conner Frankamp - 6'3 SG: This kid was literally the Steph Curry of the Wichita City League, the best scorer in league history. But his first couple seasons of college were mediocre, as he transferred from KU to Wichita and lost all his confidence (I'd say "and hair" but that was already gone). Recently he's regained his mojo and started taking his signature side-step 3s again, and was named the most outstanding player in our tournament. He doesn't drive much, mostly shooting either 3s or faking and shooting an 18' shot.

32 Markis McDuffie - 6'8 F: Markis is our leading scorer and rebounder, and the over/under on Cleathony Early comparisons per game is 3.5. He's a pretty all-around scorer that can drive, shoot, and get put-backs. He suffered an ACL tear over the summer and it took awhile to recover his athleticism. He is about 2" taller than our other 6'8 guys, if you know what I mean. SG, SF, or PF.

1 Zach Brown - 6'6 F: Zach is our glue guy. He's one of the few below average shooter on our roster, but he usually starts because he has taken on the defensive stopper role. He typically guards the best scorer on the other team if they are a guard or forward. His stat lines are rarely impressive, but usually he neutralizes the player he guards. He tends to shoot mainly corner 3s and putbacks. SF only.

24 Shaquille Morris - 6'8 C: Are there any skinny Shaq's? This guy is a wall that has actually lost 20+ pounds with us. Believe it or not, he is actually way more athletic than he looks (almost never loses a tip) and has really good hands. His temperament has been hit or miss (he famously was left off a team plane once, and started the next game), and usually he's the best player on the court for about 3 minutes a game. He tends to pick up fouls on screens, and scores using pretty soft hooks, dunks, or jump shots. He's an 80% FT shooter as well. C only.

0 Rashard Kelly - 6'7 F: Kelly is our bench energy guy. He started the year off almost incapable of scoring, getting his shot blocked a ton, but has said something clicked when he started just trying to dunk everything. He's the "biggest" of our forwards and usually is the guy muscling for rebounds or diving for balls. He also shoots 42% from 3 on really low volume, only shooting super open shots. SF or PF.

21 Darral Willis Jr - 6'8 F: Our coach calls him "Machine Gun Willis." He originally started, but has come off the bench for a while. He has a really good midrange jumper and a variety of moves around the paint. But he never passes, so we improved our chemistry and ball-movement with him as a bench guy. He's capable of getting 10 points in about 2 minutes, but most teams know to double him in the paint. He plays PF or C.

20 Rauno Nurger - 6'10 C: Rauno is our Euro-big and the tallest guy on the roster. He has done a good job in the past against 7' guys on defense. He came in infatuated with 3s, but since then he's got a nice hook shot and has been convinced to shoot only good outside shots. He does have a nice percentage, but we mostly play him when we need extra height because he has the slowest feet on the team. C only.

2 Daishon Smith - 6'2 G: Daishon has started a few games for us before we discovered that Landry/Conner is our best guard line-up. He is a microwave type that can make a bunch of shots in a hurry and he is better against quick guards than our starters, but he is a little less careful with the ball and even more jump-shot reliant. PG or SG.

12 Austin Reeves - 6'5 G: Reeves is the last guy that sees minutes in our rotation. He is yet another shooter, and came in as the highest scoring high school player in the country. His weakness is his shoulders, which dislocate really easily and sidelined him earlier in the season. He hasn't been quite the same player since, playing more tentatively. When he and Daishon are both on the court we are vulnerable to strong pressure. He has potential to be that deep bench guy that takes over a game. PG or SG.

We are pretty similarly sized, so I don't expect a lot of defensive foolery. Frankamp will guard Davis, Shamet will guard Smith, Brown will guard Cooke, McDuffie will guard Pollard and Morris will guard Williams. We play mostly man but will also throw a couple different zone looks and presses out.

I think the keys of the game will be:
  • How often Dayton can get to the line.
  • How well Dayton does on the rebounding battle
  • How well Wichita State can do defending Dayton's guards, particularly Smith
  • How many times Wichita State turns the ball over under pressure
  • Both team's outside shooting

Anyway, that's all I have. I hope for a good game, and if you beat us I'll be rooting hard for you against (probably) Kentucky.
26 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CBB_Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-13-2017), AlumUD (03-13-2017), Avid Flyer (03-13-2017), BeckysTXA (03-13-2017), Bonziflyer (03-13-2017), Bucketnight (03-13-2017), Canonball (03-13-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-13-2017), CT Flyer (03-13-2017), CvilleFlyer (03-13-2017), Fairborn Fan (03-13-2017), FLYER5 (03-13-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-13-2017), Jeff (03-13-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-13-2017), MikeFlyer (03-16-2017), MrFlyerFanatic (03-13-2017), Muckem333 (03-13-2017), NJFlyr71 (03-13-2017), NYCFLYER (03-13-2017), ruechalgrin (03-13-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-13-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-13-2017), UD90 (03-13-2017), UDFlyer23 (03-13-2017), udx2 (03-13-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2017, 10:22 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, in truth it comes down to what this senior classes goals truly are. The past two games seemed to indicate they were satisfied being the winningest senior class and A-10 regular season champs.

This teams best wins came when the team was short a key player, next man stepping up and playing with heart and passion. Even Archie stated this team does not play with a chip on their shoulder or with that extra edge when things are okay.

While we now have a full roster of players available I would not say we are 100% as Josh Cunningham is not yet back at full strength, but he is another body and 5 fouls to work with.

Good luck and let the best team advance and take down the Wildcats.

Interesting should Dayton advance against the Wildcats it will be two cousin coaching against one another. Archie and Calipari are related.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Reading their fans' rundowns of their team, why even bother to play this game?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-13-2017), rollo (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
I would bet that rundowns written by Dayton fans would sound very similar and taken the same way by WSU fans.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jerseyflyer09 (03-13-2017), MikeFlyer (03-16-2017), springborofan (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Just off the Jet

Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
It is really hard to give a detailed look into a player without a volume of text, and a snippet usually makes them sound like the are useless or unstoppable. I tried to give an idea of what each player would try to do and their weaknesses, but I apologize if it sounded like I was saying our guys were worldbeaters.

When I say Frankamp was the Steph Curry of our high school league, I'm trying to add some context to his history and playstyle more than I'm trying to hype him up. He's a local kid that broke a lot of records, and he originally went to KU where he averaged 2.5 PPG before transferring and sitting on the bench for us.

He went from a kid that was used to hitting 3s over triple teams to a guy that looked like he had flashbacks every time he shot a 3. His confidence was almost completely gone. And then he steadily improved this year until he finally regained his confidence around mid-February and really helped us in the MVC tournament.

I'm sure you can imagine something similar. A local kid from Dayton breaks all types of records but chooses to go to Ohio State because his parents were Buckeye fans, underperforms and then transfers to Dayton. And then grows and gets over his issues to become one of the team's most important players.

Now I could type up something like that for each player, but it I was trying to stay concise. I'm going to say that any of our players can go off because we've had 9 leading scorers and at one point led the nation in bench points, but that also means that each and every one of our players has had terrible games with 0 points or 5 turnovers. Its really hard to find a balance between the two.
Mad Props to CBB_Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Just off the Jet

Shocked is a jewel in the roughShocked is a jewel in the roughShocked is a jewel in the roughShocked is a jewel in the rough
I actually think we are underselling Shaq Morris. When we are at our best we run though him, and he is our most dominate player. Occasionally he lacks focus and energy, and foul trouble can cause him problems.

For our losses, I am still hesitant to know what to expect from our team. In the MVC tourney we came out a little too jacked up against Bradley and MSU and struggled for the first 5-10 minutes of the half. If we do that against Dayton, it could be deadly. In our losses to Louisville and Michigan St., they punched us in the mouth early, being young and not really being use to playing that level of team. We went into the half with significant halftime deficits, gave valiant effort trying to make them games, but fell short. Outside of Illinois St., we have not responded well to a high level team from the tip yet this season. I think we are a different team since going with our current rotation, but we don't have Ron and Fred any more, so it isn't a given we will be ready to respond from the tip.

A major area of concern for me is our press. It has looked less than stellar against quite a few Valley foes, and I am afraid to see what Scootchie does against it.

A major area of giddiness for me is your rebounding concerns and lack of second chance points. Gregg's teams always pride themselves on making teams score on the first shot. This team is no different.

Within memory, I watched your Friday night game against Rhode Island. You made huge plays to win that game and looked very poised. Lately, I watched you play Davidson twice, but missed the GW loss. In those you looked much less impressive. Outside of "we were satisfied with our championship," especially considering your first match up against Davidson I don't think you had locked up the A10 yet, what do you think were the main problems that lead to those results? Less ball movement, failing to get out on shooters, etc?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Just off the Jet

Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
I actually think we are underselling Shaq Morris. When we are at our best we run though him, and he is our most dominate player. Occasionally he lacks focus and energy, and foul trouble can cause him problems.

For our losses, I am still hesitant to know what to expect from our team. In the MVC tourney we came out a little too jacked up against Bradley and MSU and struggled for the first 5-10 minutes of the half. If we do that against Dayton, it could be deadly. In our losses to Louisville and Michigan St., they punched us in the mouth early, being young and not really being use to playing that level of team. We went into the half with significant halftime deficits, gave valiant effort trying to make them games, but fell short. Outside of Illinois St., we have not responded well to a high level team from the tip yet this season. I think we are a different team since going with our current rotation, but we don't have Ron and Fred any more, so it isn't a given we will be ready to respond from the tip.

A major area of concern for me is our press. It has looked less than stellar against quite a few Valley foes, and I am afraid to see what Scootchie does against it.
I think we are at both our best and worst with Shaq. I've noticed that most of turnovers come from bad passes trying to force the ball into or out of the post (usually after an opposing big goes into foul trouble), especially when Shaq is paired with Reeves and Daishon. And this team seems very off/on. When we are passing the ball around we look incredible, but when we get one turnover suddenly even simple passes look difficult.

But Shaquille Morris is also capable of being the best player on court ... just usually not for very long. A few of his moves, like his up and under @Missouri State are moves that 270 lb men just don't make. Even last year he had about 3 minutes in our loss against Miami where he was "the guy," where it felt like he blocked everything and couldn't miss. But his conditioning and ability to maintain his focus have always been questions.

Which buys into your comments on how we will respond under pressure. We have questions for Shaq, but some of those are about the whole team.

Do we have the mental toughness we relied on in past years?
Can we overcome our emotions if Dayton gets an early lead?
Can we keep our composure if we have a lead and Dayton makes a comeback?

There is a lot we don't know. Games against Illinois State weren't great preparation for the tournament because they themselves aren't very mentally tough (as seen in a plethora of crappy hero 3s and technical fouls in our games), and no one else in the MVC really pressured us. It is pretty easy to stay calm if Missouri State starts out 10-0, but Dayton is a whole 'nother beast.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers are pedestrian in the half-court, but boost the offense from live-ball turnovers and FTA. Zebras are going to have a huge effect on this game. Shockers generally take care of the ball so Dayton getting to the line is going to be the key for Flyers to unlock a win.

A month ago Dayton was guarding as well as any team in the country and probably the best without any shot-blocking on the back line. Their second and third rotations were a clinic in moving as a cohesive five-man unit. Since then, they have been uneven especially defending the arc. If Shockers shoot their season AVG from behind the arc and guard without fouling Dayton will struggle to keep up offensively. Not sure if the drop-off was playing better teams, incorporating Josh Robinson into the rotations or a bit of both.

Also, you should know that NO lead is safe with this Dayton team. As fans, we're hoping they start games as well as they've learned to finish them. Flyers want to keep it close and then let their seniors close it out. Experience is the one clear advantage Flyers have over Shockers.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I would bet that rundowns written by Dayton fans would sound very similar and taken the same way by WSU fans.
Actually, the majority of posters provide the opposite - they're much more critical and listening to us would sound a lot like Lou Holtz's Notre Dame press conferences - wondering how in the heck ND even has a chance in said game - they were playing 3-6 Georgia Tech that week.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Actually, the majority of posters provide the opposite - they're much more critical and listening to us would sound a lot like Lou Holtz's Notre Dame press conferences - wondering how in the heck ND even has a chance in said game - they were playing 3-6 Georgia Tech that week.
I typically go on every opponents message board before we play a team, and typically our fans sound just like WSU's did on here. I have not seen any on the WSU board that sound like that.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-14-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the summary.

You will not have success pressing Scoochie. He is under control at all times and a wizard with the ball.

Unfortunately he can't play 40 minutes. A good press will turn us over about 25% - 50% of the time when he's not on the floor. Our soph backup has been stuck in his own head for months playing like a lost soul out there. However, he's quick as heck, and if he got into a game where all he had to do was dribble and run with the ball it might just be what the doctor ordered. I guess we'll see.

We also struggle against teams with shot blockers so it sounds like 2 pretty well matched teams. Strength on strength.