Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Captain

FlyerLiar has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerLiar has a spectacular aura about
Kevin Kuwik

After reading a lot more about KK in the last 24 hours, I think he could be a good choice. Clearly a quality individual with high integrity, he's been around some great basketball minds and has been here at UD since 2011. I'd be very okay with giving him a shot. Could happen quickly and keep some continuity.

We're all relying on Messrs. Sullivan and Spina, and I'm guessing KK will get a good look.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerLiar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-27-2017), flyhi524 (03-26-2017), NYCFLYER (03-27-2017), Sitdowndigger (03-26-2017), Tony T 71 (03-26-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
It looks like Mark Adams is trying to sell the fanbase on Kevin Kuwik. I'm guessing that is the direction UD will go.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Kevin Kuwik is a quality individual. He is war veteran and honorable man.

He has seen a lot in his life and he has lobbied for better regional airline carrier safety. His girlfriend was killed in a tragic avoidable plane crash on a flight to Buffalo.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-26-2017), shocka43 (03-26-2017), TA111 (03-26-2017), TMPH66 (03-26-2017), TommyGola (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 11:00 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I am an Anthony Grant kind of guy, but frankly, I would be totally happy with Kevin Kuwik. The more I read about the man, the more I think he is a "quiet warrior." I like Anthony and have spoken to people who know him well, and they all agree...a class act. But I have done my homework on Kevin and I must say that he could be a very good choice. One other thing here. It's always the head coach who gets all of the recognition during good times and "the boot" during bad times. But could it be that some, if not much of Archie's success could be attributed to the assistant coaches? After all, they are doing the bulk of recruiting and player development. That's why I would have no problem with Kevin Kuwik. Making him the head coach and Tom Ostrum an associate head coach might help maintain the supposed incoming recruits.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
That's why I would have no problem with Kevin Kuwik. Making him the head coach and Tom Ostrum an associate head coach might help maintain the supposed incoming recruits.
I've seen other people mention this scenario of having Kuwik as the head coach with Ostrom as an assistant, but I just don't see it being that likely. Archie is going to have a larger pool of money to pay his assistants from and will be able to outbid UD if he wants to keep Ostrom's AAU/recruiting connections.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
I've seen other people mention this scenario of having Kuwik as the head coach with Ostrom as an assistant, but I just don't see it being that likely. Archie is going to have a larger pool of money to pay his assistants from and will be able to outbid UD if he wants to keep Ostrom's AAU/recruiting connections.
I think AM takes Allen Griffin with him but I think that's it. The big knock on Crean was that he couldn't get Indiana kids to stay home. In all likelihood AM hires a guy who is deep in Indiana AAU/HS scene, in addition to someone who has connections or relationships to IU bball culture and history. There's a limited number of spots; he won't be taking his entire staff with him.

Even if UD hires an outsider there's a chance they retain a guy like Ostrom to help with stability.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-27-2017), UDGutter2 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
The knock on Crean was that he was not winning, the B10, the NCAA and against Purdue. That recruiting stuff is secondary, and a symptom. The fans won't care if he gets players from Mars, if they win. I do not hear Ky, UNC or KS fans saying, get the local kids.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Actually, Mars high school, which is Neil Sullivans Alma Mater, has a highly regarded D1 player. His name is Robbie Carmody. Michigan, Notre Dame, and others have offered so he is a longshot
Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Crean won the B10 title twice.

What Indiana kid would want to go to IU with all of the complaining done by IU fans? Really.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
We need a coach with D1 success. This job is too big a step for KK. He needs to prove he can coach before getting a big job like this
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 224 View Post
I think AM takes Allen Griffin with him but I think that's it. The big knock on Crean was that he couldn't get Indiana kids to stay home. In all likelihood AM hires a guy who is deep in Indiana AAU/HS scene, in addition to someone who has connections or relationships to IU bball culture and history. There's a limited number of spots; he won't be taking his entire staff with him.

Even if UD hires an outsider there's a chance they retain a guy like Ostrom to help with stability.
I think Syracuse plays into Griffin's fate. See: http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...asketball.html

If Boeheim offers Griffin the position vacated by Mike Hopkins, I think Griffin goes back "home."

I think Archie would probably like to take any or all of his assistants with him, but I think Ostrom would be Archie's first priority as his national/international recruiting guy. He has experience recruiting the McDonald's All-Americans types. Archie needs him. Seems like a solid xs and os guy would be easier to find. And maybe he goes the direction of an "Indiana guy" as you suggest as well. Kevin Kuwik did put in one year at Butler but seems a bit of stretch to call him that guy.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
I like Kuwick just fine. I like Crean and Grant too. I think the more time that passes, though, the least likely that it's Kuwick. If they were sold on him I think it would get done ASAP.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
We need a coach with D1 success. This job is too big a step for KK. He needs to prove he can coach before getting a big job like this
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah - just like the D1 head coaching experience that Archie had when we hired him.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (03-27-2017), TA111 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you say that before Mr. Miller was announced as the UD coach?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
Yeah - just like the D1 head coaching experience that Archie had when we hired him.
It took Archie 2 years to figure things out. Do you have 2 years to wait for our next assistant-to-head coach to figure things out? We have the resources to hire experience...not sure we had the same financial situation in 2011. And with 4 years of NCAAT experience behind us, I'm not in the mood to take 2-3 steps back as a former assistant gets his feet wet.
FlyerGuyer (03-27-2017), IAFlyer (03-27-2017), m21eagle45 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:18 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Kuwicks resume is very similar to archies and he was ok. The powers know kevin bette than they knew archie

Ias ch doubt the list of coaches with experience and not having question marks is fairly small. The coach at nku might be a good get but doee he have recruiting experience at a high level

I like the thought of a maker but he was fired from Michigan. This would be a good prove it job in hopes of taking over at duke

You can take any of the candidates and there are flags of past failure or iinexperience

Before archie was hired I thought he was a no Brainer hire. The son of a great coach a brother of a great coach and with assistant experience with some great coaches. I thought that was a simple choice. I dont see such an easy choice although I dont know the candidates that well
Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
It took Archie 2 years to figure things out. Do you have 2 years to wait for our next assistant-to-head coach to figure things out? We have the resources to hire experience...not sure we had the same financial situation in 2011. And with 4 years of NCAAT experience behind us, I'm not in the mood to take 2-3 steps back as a former assistant gets his feet wet.
It did? He did pretty well his first season after taking over a team that lost Chris Wright, Juwan Staten, Brandon Spearman and Devin Searcy. And then losing Benson during the holiday tournament. And then he loses CJ, Parker, Williams and Fabrizius after his initial season.

Losing out on the two big recruits we had coming in his first season also had a profound effect and he overcame that in what would've been their Junior season.

Losing 5 or 6 expected newcomers this season plus 4 seniors would make the next person's job that much more difficult in year one and that's why we advocate for someone within who might keep the flow going.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Archie was a little different than most assistants. The guy was learning about basketball and being groomed to be a coach since he was in diapers. Interestingly, there was another candidate at that time being mentioned as a candidate for the Dayton job, who we could say the same about: Dan Hurley. I remember wanting Hurley because he had a year or so at Wagner under his belt on Archie, but was very pleased with the Archie hire. Looking back, Hurley wouldn't have been a terrible choice EXCEPT FOR THE FACT HE'S AN UNLIKABLE SHMUCK. So we obviously made the right choice there. But this time around, I don't think there's a Miller or Hurley out there in the assistant ranks, so that's really the reason I don't see us going the assistant route this time.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
It's Kuwik
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
TMPH66 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Didn't matter for Archie.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,692 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
It's Kuwik
Posted via Mobile Device
Is this based upon some inside knowledge?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
think he's talking about the spelling, since i gave it a 'ck' at the end. ya know, the important stuff
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
It's Kuwik
Posted via Mobile Device
Done deal Swampy? I'm assuming that's the case, not just your opinion of who it should be right?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Is this based upon some inside knowledge?
I believe he is referring to the correct spelling. Kuwik NOT Kuwick
Mad Props to flyerfan4life For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Major

momszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud of
Smile

Getting us all excited over a typo. Shame on you Swampy.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Major General

Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Kuwik makes a lot of sense in terms of preserving continuity with recruits because we are going to need a lot, I mean a lot of help & contribution from the incoming class and Kostas.

He's not an unknown....been in the program for 6 years.
Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. All this talk about being the next Gonzaga, WSU, X. We need to be VCU first. Don't fall back to ground zero with a coaching change.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
We are now getting the hard sell from Mark Adams that Kevin Kuwik should be the guy which makes me think the decision has already been made. Now they just need to sell it to the fan base on how great of a hire this is for UD. Meh....Only time will tell.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Gem City; 03-27-2017 at 12:03 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gem City For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-27-2017), TerryK_67 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 AM
General

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 View Post
think he's talking about the spelling, since i gave it a 'ck' at the end. ya know, the important stuff
See, that's why I'm assuming it wasn't a spelling correction. Most got it right, if he was going to correct someone's spelling, he should've quoted them. I'm sure just about every thread has a misspelling in it somewhere.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
DISCLAIMER: I am agnostic with regards to who we hire. As I said previously, the Dayton job is an extremely attractive position and we can be choosy about who we hire because of that. We will get a good coach, the right coach, for the job.

If we're concerned about hiring a current assistant at UD (Kuwik) because he has no head coaching experience and will be learning on the fly, why have Xavier (Miller, Mack), Butler (Matta, Lickliter, Stevens), Gonzaga (Few), Kansas (Williams), and Dayton (Donoher) done the same thing and haven't missed a beat? If Archie was truly building a program (not just a good record/resume), wouldn't that include grooming his assistants to one day be head coaches themselves? And, since his brother was a promoted assistant, wouldn't it seem natural that Archie would make this a priority to ensure program continuity? Conversely, while it was nice to have the continuity of Archie's staff the last six years, it is troubling that none were sought after to become head coaches themselves. It would be nice if Kuwik had done like Will Wade or Mike Rhoades and become a head coach in 2015 whom we could now bring back to the fold (assuming he had success). Someone mentioned the reason there was no "Associate Head Coach" designated was because of the True Team mantra. What if Archie didn't have that much faith in his lead assistant to give him that title?

It would be nice to be able to divine whether hiring Kuwik would be like promoting Brad Stevens, or Ron Jirsa.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (03-27-2017), shocka43 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Major

My guess is UD wants to wait a day or two to announce Kevin. You don't want Archie's press conference to steal all the headlines from Kuwik hire. Then UD will wait till after the Final Four to announce the arena renovation schedule. Again, it's your best chance to get full media attention.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2017, 12:07 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Hiring the right coach for UD is a real big challenge.

The coach has to recruit, develop and have Xs and Os. Very few have the complete package.

Hiring an existing head coach with experience at mid to high D1 often is hiring somebody who has been fired or about to be fired. Either way stains on their record. There are good coaches at lower D1, D2 and even D3, but can they recruit?

I am very wary of experienced coaches. Tommy Amaker struggled big time at Michigan, but has done well until the last 2 years at Harvard.

Recruiting 5 star players is next to impossible for UD and every A10 team. To be competitive, UD must land 3-4 star quality players. Even that is very hard. There is so much competition locally for even those players. Kendall narrowed his choice to Rhode Island and UD.

I think the sophomore/junior class will end up being a miss for Archie in terms of recruiting. Archie with all the hype gambled on a lot players.

UD can land all the 2 star players they want. That won't win A10 championships.

After recruiting, then you need a coach who can develop players. That and in game coaching were /are the Achilles heel of BG. However, BG is not alone. There are many, many D1 coaches that don't develop players. When I see how weak so many D1 coaches are in terms of development, I become less harsh about the job of BG.

What I want is a coach who would pick and use Archie's development system and has a powerful recruiting approach. I don't want to lose that system. I am afraid we will if the new coach is an outside hire.

Not easy filling this job. That is why UD selected assistants with lots of promise with the last two hires.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 PM
1st Lieutenant

Until he responds, he was spell checking if it's not kuwick and telling us the inside decision if it is. Genius brand-building.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Until he responds, he was spell checking if it's not kuwick and telling us the inside decision if it is. Genius brand-building.
Or Fake news?
jerseyflyer09 (03-27-2017), m21eagle45 (03-27-2017), shocka43 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
I think there is merit in hiring coaches who were successful at mid-major levels but went on to fail at the P5 level. A number have been successful when stepping back down. And they've seemed to be less interested in the next P5 job.

I would certainly give Crean a call.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-27-2017), skip69 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
I believe he is referring to the correct spelling. Kuwik NOT Kuwick
What he said, altho I'm fine if Kevin is the new coach--good guy.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
No Better Way To Honor Archie

than to hire from his staff. Kuwik is my choice and his first job is to keep as many recruits as he can. Go Flyers! May God bless Archie and Morgan and family and I wish him great success at IU except when he plays UD.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
I think there is merit in hiring coaches who were successful at mid-major levels but went on to fail at the P5 level. A number have been successful when stepping back down. And they've seemed to be less interested in the next P5 job.

I would certainly give Crean a call.
If Crean says no, same logic applies to Anthony Grant.... of course, Grant's also an alum so you can throw that on top of the likely-to-stick-around measure of his candidacy.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:17 PM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think the more time that passes, though, the least likely that it's Kuwick. If they were sold on him I think it would get done ASAP.
If Kuwik or Griffin or Ostrom(unlikely IMO)is not hired within a week or two, then I agree that UD is most likely going to hire an outside candidate.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Major

I think it's Kevin Kuwik and it will be announced before the end of the week.

Meh, I would prefer a coach with actual head coaching experience but I'm willing to give UD the benefit of the doubt.

I would have preferred a Dan Muller at ISU, James Whitford at Ball State or Tom Crean.

Last edited by Gem City; 03-27-2017 at 02:22 PM..
Old 03-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Staff Writer

Here is an interview I did with Kevin a couple of years ago:

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27732
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
things were going well for Crean until OG Anunoby got hurt. Then it all fell apart
Old 03-27-2017, 01:51 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
seasonticketfan, nice post

Kuwik (sp correctly) was here when archie started. I wonder if the two of them learned a lot at the same time, maybe Kuwik won't need two years to become acclimated.

I agree that player development is key. Kuwik has been well versed in this since coming to UD. We don't know if he understands the nuances as well as archie but we might find out.

There have been some teams in the ncaa tournament which totally get that. Michigan is one of them, their players had great skill level and played as a team. S Carolina is another I was impressed with the NW Missouri team (I believe that was their name) which won the div II championship. They have a very good coach but it would be a huge risk hiring someone who is at that level.

I wonder if there are high level assistants from other programs interested such as Michigan or Villanova.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Posted via Mobile Device
We took a gamble on a 32 assistant coach who no experience. The last I checked that turned out pretty good. To me it's about basketball knowledge, ability to recruit and character. Arch had all of this in his DNA. If Kuwik or Ostrom or Griffin has this make-up then you vet the coach and hire him. There's plenty of the next big HC that fail. They fail for a number of reasons. It's about recruiting, player development and in game decision making. It's hard not to think that Kuwik and Ostrom and Griffin didn't pick up any of this from being around Arch. I think the risk is just as great taking someone with experience. If Kuwik or Ostrom are strong candidates why wouldn't we hire someone who's been around one of our most successful runs in Dayton BBall history - assuming they have some of the same attributes as Miller of course.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-27-2017), skip69 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
I think the risk is just as great taking someone with experience. If Kuwik or Ostrom are strong candidates why wouldn't we hire someone who's been around one of our most successful runs in Dayton BBall history - assuming they have some of the same attributes as Miller of course.
There is absolutely greater risk in hiring someone without head coaching experience. You are hiring someone who literally has never done it before over someone who has done it before and presumably has had quite a bit of success doing it. But there's also reward with that risk. The ceiling is unknown. It could work out really well as it did with Archie. But the safe choice is definitely a guy who has done it before.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
If Kuwik or Griffin or Ostrom(unlikely IMO)is not hired within a week or two, then I agree that UD is most likely going to hire an outside candidate.
I'd say if they are going internal with the hire, it will happen in the next day or two. If outside, it will be announced at the Final Four.

No way we can wait a week or two because there are sharks out there working on our recruits already. There will be none left if we wait two weeks.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-27-2017), Smitty10 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe at one time a Tom Wabler quote mentioned something in a article about what if BG left? Tom opened up his top draw at his desk and said he had a short list of potential candidates ready. It would get up-dated as needed.

I am sure those little 'best practices' are included with Mr Sullivan. So they had a go to list for just such an occasion. With there being about 25 College HC vacancies at this very moment (Big and Small programs) I am sure there are some names that are being chased by many as we post here this very moment!

I also would think that in Archie's final time here he may have had a short discussion with Neil about what he thinks of his assistants ....

It adds to the mix of candidates that are viable and very importantly available!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gem City View Post
I think it's Kevin Kuwik and it will be announced before the end of the week.

Meh, I would prefer a coach with actual head coaching experience but I'm willing to give UD the benefit of the doubt.

I would have preferred a Dan Muller at ISU, James Whitford at Ball State or Tom Crean.
You're speaking in past tense. Do you happen to know something we don't? Fact is, we have no idea who UD is meeting with or who is even on their "list"..
Old 03-27-2017, 04:42 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
A lot/almost all of that was installing a different system and changing the culture. And Archie only had 1 down year.

NIT year, down year, and then NCAATx4.

If they hire from within, we can pick up right where we left off this year.

Hire an outsider, and we are starting over. If they hire an outsider from within the Matta/Sendek tree, then the transition will not be as bad.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Major

Originally Posted by steve View Post
You're speaking in past tense. Do you happen to know something we don't? Fact is, we have no idea who UD is meeting with or who is even on their "list"..
I think it’s pretty safe to say that there is a partnership between the local media and UD athletics. (same is true for WSU and the Dragons btw) Our local media isn’t in the business of writing hard hitting investigative articles about our local sports teams. This isn’t the New York market. The local media in general are basically cheerleaders, here to promote our local sports teams.

When our local media starts promoting the idea that Kevin Kuwik is going to be a great coach for UD, you can almost bet that Kevin Kuwik will be the next coach at UD. I think UD’s administration “leaked” word of the hire and Mark Adams, the DDN and Mike Hartsock started promoting the idea that it was a great hire. They're selling the fan base on the hire. There is a reason Allen Griffin’s name isn’t being floated around because I believe UD has already settled on Kevin Kuwik.

I believe it will be announced this week. UD will let Archie have his day and let the stories die down in the press before announcing the new UD hire.

If I’m wrong, I’ll come back here and eat crow.

Last edited by Gem City; 03-27-2017 at 05:42 PM..
Old 03-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Is anyone else concerned that none of our assistants received mention for any head coaching positions that have opened up over the past 3-4 years? I would think word gets around about which assistants are ready and which are not. This concerns me.
Mad Props to Don For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:42 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Is anyone else concerned that none of our assistants received mention for any head coaching positions that have opened up over the past 3-4 years? I would think word gets around about which assistants are ready and which are not. This concerns me.
KK I think was mentioned with smaller jobs like Cleveland St
Old 03-27-2017, 05:45 PM

Kuwik was supposedly in the mix for the Dartmouth head coaching job last year.

https://hoopdirt.com/dartmouth-dirt-2/:

7 APR 2016

I’ve heard from a ton of sources on the search at Dartmouth. The names that I’ve heard surrounding this one are: Rob Jeter (former head coach Milwaukee), Shaun Morris (associate head coach Boston University), Dane Fischer (assistant coach George Mason), Dave McLaughlin (associate head coach Northeastern), Matt Kingsley (assistant coach Yale), Brian Earl (associate head coach Princeton) and Kevin Kuwik (assistant coach Dayton). I’ve also heard that a current America East head coach, and a current MAAC head coach may be involved here. I should know more here as the search progresses.

Last edited by ud2; 03-27-2017 at 05:48 PM..
Old 03-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
DISCLAIMER: I am agnostic with regards to who we hire. As I said previously, the Dayton job is an extremely attractive position and we can be choosy about who we hire because of that. We will get a good coach, the right coach, for the job.

If we're concerned about hiring a current assistant at UD (Kuwik) because he has no head coaching experience and will be learning on the fly, why have Xavier (Miller, Mack), Butler (Matta, Lickliter, Stevens), Gonzaga (Few), Kansas (Williams), and Dayton (Donoher) done the same thing and haven't missed a beat? If Archie was truly building a program (not just a good record/resume), wouldn't that include grooming his assistants to one day be head coaches themselves? And, since his brother was a promoted assistant, wouldn't it seem natural that Archie would make this a priority to ensure program continuity? Conversely, while it was nice to have the continuity of Archie's staff the last six years, it is troubling that none were sought after to become head coaches themselves. It would be nice if Kuwik had done like Will Wade or Mike Rhoades and become a head coach in 2015 whom we could now bring back to the fold (assuming he had success). Someone mentioned the reason there was no "Associate Head Coach" designated was because of the True Team mantra. What if Archie didn't have that much faith in his lead assistant to give him that title?

It would be nice to be able to divine whether hiring Kuwik would be like promoting Brad Stevens, or Ron Jirsa.

If I typed better, that's what I would have said.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yes absolutely, knowing that the day will come he would opt out of UD for a P5 program he should have had a top assistant in grooming to replace him when he left.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie said in IU presser how important it will be to recruit Indiana kids. He talked abt the politics involved with Indiana HS/AAU coaches, and long term negatives of recruiting a comparable 'non-Indiana' kid over a 'Indiana' kid. It sounded like he was referencing some mistakes from his predecessors.

AM never recruited heavy out of Indiana (maybe just Steve?), so I think his staff will be loaded with coaches connected in Indiana. Possibly leaving 2 of the 3 -- Kuwik/Ostrom/Griff -- around to be on the next UD staff or possibly HC.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-27-2017), springborofan (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
That is a good observation 224. I think Griff is headed to Syracuse. It would be great to keep the other two but I'm guessing Ostrom follows Archie to IU.

My hunch is Kuwik gets the job and Comar will be elevated to an assistant coach. Hopefully Kuwik is smart enough to hire a good bench coach who has several years of experience as a head coach. Ray Farmer?
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Archie said in IU presser how important it will be to recruit Indiana kids. He talked abt the politics involved with Indiana HS/AAU coaches, and long term negatives of recruiting a comparable 'non-Indiana' kid over a 'Indiana' kid. It sounded like he was referencing some mistakes from his predecessors.

AM never recruited heavy out of Indiana (maybe just Steve?), so I think his staff will be loaded with coaches connected in Indiana. Possibly leaving 2 of the 3 -- Kuwik/Ostrom/Griff -- around to be on the next UD staff or possibly HC.
IMO its all coaches speak...my guess is IU is just irate some of their top talent is leaving the state or going to butler/purdue and they feel that shouldn't be the case.

matta gets the same grief...when top ohio talent leaves people complain. simply can't keep every kid.
Mad Props to FlyerFanatic08 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby Knight!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
It concerns me also, but that falls on Archie in not developing them. Archie has his good points but he is a control freak. One of my favorite pictures is Arizona playing someone and Archie is off the bench shouting instructions. Shawn turns to him with a WTF...I'm the coach, not you.
Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:43 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
It concerns me also, but that falls on Archie in not developing them. Archie has his good points but he is a control freak. One of my favorite pictures is Arizona playing someone and Archie is off the bench shouting instructions. Shawn turns to him with a WTF...I'm the coach, not you.
Actually as someone who has sat directly behind the bench more than a handful of times over the last few years I was shocked to see how much he asks his assistants for input during a game.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
There's no coach in America that has even close to a 100% hit rate with their players or close. The best coaches out there lose players because they have not developed, they're not getting PT, etc. It has NOTHING to do with being a control freak. Most all coaches are control freaks and some far more subtle in their approach than others..Look, they are the ones making the $$$ and full responsibility falls on them.....As John Cooper use to say that everybody wants to always gamble but they want to gamble with my chips, not their own.

There are also plenty of players that aren't owning up to wanting to improve either. They have ZERO idea what it takes to get better on their own, the continual working out, working on weaknesses', watching film, etc. That's just the basketball part. Throw in a bunch of parties, bars, hot chicks, no mommy and daddy to wake them up anymore, etc. all within walking distance and it takes a pretty disciplined kid to want to get better and excel..

Last edited by steve; 03-28-2017 at 07:03 AM..
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gem City View Post
When our local media starts promoting the idea that Kevin Kuwik is going to be a great coach for UD, you can almost bet that Kevin Kuwik will be the next coach at UD. I think UD’s administration “leaked” word of the hire and Mark Adams, the DDN and Mike Hartsock started promoting the idea that it was a great hire. They're selling the fan base on the hire. There is a reason Allen Griffin’s name isn’t being floated around because I believe UD has already settled on Kevin Kuwik.

Checked out Mark Adams' social media and watched the Adams/Hartsock segment, and I think you might have this nailed. It does look like politicking/campaigning. Rally the base, and then pretend like you're talking to Crean, Grant, etc. for a few days. LOL
Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
Checked out Mark Adams' social media and watched the Adams/Hartsock segment, and I think you might have this nailed. It does look like politicking/campaigning. Rally the base, and then pretend like you're talking to Crean, Grant, etc. for a few days. LOL
This theory is totally plausible to me...sort of like "floating a trial balloon." Well, the balloon has been floated and I think most people, myself included, would be very comfortable with Kevin Kuwik. The one thing that sold him to me were, as always, the very wise comments on this board which led me to dig into his background. This guy has been a complete success at everything he has done. In fact, I don't see a single failure in his background. I like Anthony Grant a lot, but I am ready to "switch my vote" to Kevin Kuwik.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD_Earl (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Sooner is better - The longer the current recruits think about greener pastures - the more likely they are to pull out. If is K K - then they need to pull the trigger today. Really should have pulled the trigger Saturday if it is K K
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM
General of the Air Force

This reminds me of comments made by bg. A player on the opposing team was leading the a10 in field goal percentage the previous year they left him alone and hoped he would shoot. Bg said he told the ream "can you imagine how many hours he worked in the gyn to improve that much?"

Bg had trouble getting buy in to focus on weaknesses. Obviously brob was always working on his weaknesses
Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 AM

We just don't know. Similar to Lonergans replacement. All of the assistants interviewed for the job. IIRC they picked the youngest but there wasn't a pecking order among the assistants, similar to UD.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
Sooner is better - The longer the current recruits think about greener pastures - the more likely they are to pull out. If is K K - then they need to pull the trigger today. Really should have pulled the trigger Saturday if it is K K
That would be irresponsible of UD. They may, just like I do, want to see KK (or the best of the three) in that position...for a variety of reasons. But they would be negligent if they didn't put a full slate together, talk to people and with all that on the table make the decision. I'm sure they are movnig as quickly as possible, but they need to go through the process. If they don't pick KK, TO or AG then either 1) they found someone outside who knocked their socks off and they think is an abolute home run (like the Mike Tomlin scenario for the steelers when they hired him) or 2) we really have failed at finally developing a coaching pipeline in house. Because the current assistants certainly have continuity, familiarity, player relationship, recruiting relationships and the like wrapped up.
Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Major General

I don't buy this at all. I just think Dayton is not rushing to make a hire so as to get it right (hopefully). If they knew 100% they were going to hire Kuwik if/when Archie left, they probably would have known that for years, and would have announced Kuwik's hiring already, then rallied support by saying we've always known he was the guy. Never a doubt in our minds. Kuwik may very well end up being the hire but delaying the announcement makes zero sense. They're either out talking to other guys right now, or still trying to figure out whom they want to enter into serious discussions about the job with.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-28-2017), m21eagle45 (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Brigadier General

FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
This theory is totally plausible to me...sort of like "floating a trial balloon." Well, the balloon has been floated and I think most people, myself included, would be very comfortable with Kevin Kuwik. The one thing that sold him to me were, as always, the very wise comments on this board which led me to dig into his background. This guy has been a complete success at everything he has done. In fact, I don't see a single failure in his background. I like Anthony Grant a lot, but I am ready to "switch my vote" to Kevin Kuwik.

Very well-said. I don't know much about Kuwik but he seems like an upstanding guy.

I'm still in the Crean camp, though. Archie's comments right before he left that scheduling is becoming very difficult for non-power conference teams makes me think that we might need to go with a national name. Kuwik might be the best coach in the world, but he'll mostly be an unknown to most people for at least a couple years. A guy like Crean comes in, boom, he's beaten Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, Wisconsin, etc. Not that we would be able to schedule those teams, but it might make it easier to get some good OOC games with a guy who's been there.

The Butler and Xavier model of hiring from within has been working well for them, but remember they are in the Big East now so scheduling is not quite as much of an issue for them.

I might be way off, but that's my thought process for now. I still reserve the right to change my vote to 3rd Party though.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-28-2017), UDGutter2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
I'm all for Kevin Kuwik as long as his middle name is not Keith
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeF (03-28-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:56 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TN Flyer will become famous soon enough
Talking Pronunciation

OK, I know this probably sounds stupid, but as an out of state fan I've always wondered how Coach Kuwik pronounces his last name. I don't believe I've ever heard it on any of the broadcasts. Can anyone help?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by TN Flyer View Post
OK, I know this probably sounds stupid, but as an out of state fan I've always wondered how Coach Kuwik pronounces his last name. I don't believe I've ever heard it on any of the broadcasts. Can anyone help?
Pronounced Cue-Wick.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hire Kuwik, hire Grant, hire Crean. Just hire one of them and get it done. Each brings something positive and each leaves something to be desired. But every day we leave those recruits hanging is a day it becomes less likely we keep them. The vultures are lurking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
Hire Kuwik, hire Grant, hire Crean. Just hire one of them Posted via Mobile Device
Just hire one of them is sound advice for sure. Two could get pretty expensive.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-31-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 05:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Crean- odd

Very well-said. I don't know much about Kuwik but he seems like an upstanding guy.

I'm still in the Crean camp, though. Archie's comments right before he left that scheduling is becoming very difficult for non-power conference teams makes me think that we might need to go with a national name. Kuwik might be the best coach in the world, but he'll mostly be an unknown to most people for at least a couple years. A guy like Crean comes in, boom, he's beaten Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, Wisconsin, etc. Not that we would be able to schedule those teams, but it might make it easier to get some good OOC games with a guy who's been there.

The Butler and Xavier model of hiring from within has been working well for them, but remember they are in the Big East now so scheduling is not quite as much of an issue for them.

I might be way off, but that's my thought process for now. I still reserve the right to change my vote to 3rd Party though.
We would then have swapped coaches. Ever happened before, (beside Keckich and Peterson) ? Certainly would seem we got the short end with Crean fired and AM promoted, but that might not make much difference. Still Crean would be taking a pay cut, lose status, etc and might not be the happiest of new employee.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:46 PM
General

We would then have swapped coaches. Ever happened before, (beside Keckich and Peterson) ? Certainly would seem we got the short end with Crean fired and AM promoted, but that might not make much difference. Still Crean would be taking a pay cut, lose status, etc and might not be the happiest of new employee.
I think it would be kind of humiliating. I would go somewhere without any connection to the parties involved.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I think it would be kind of humiliating. I would go somewhere without any connection to the parties involved.
He could do broadcasting work. He could work as an assistant for a top program. He could take a year off. But he's said that he really wants to be a college head coach. I think Georgetown and Dayton are the two best gigs available right now so it's not like he's got a ton of choices. But I think he would get over any embarrassment pretty quick if Dayton hired him. Keep in mind, this is a guy who went back to Assembly Hall days after he was fired to support the women's program. If Crean were humiliated, no way he sets foot in there so soon. Imagine the stares and whispers he got that day.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerGuyer (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Brigadier General

The fact that he was fired from the school that just hired our old coach is merely incidental, if somewhat awkward. I think Crean would be the best choice right now, regardless of where he came from.

As for a pay cut and lost status, UD allegedly just offered Archie Top 10 money, so even if Crean were offered less, it's not like it would be embarrassingly less. Still good money, still a quality program with a great arena, tradition, and fan base, and he would be able to remain in the geographical area (he is from Michigan and apparently lives near Jim Harbaugh).
Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
He could do broadcasting work. He could work as an assistant for a top program. He could take a year off. But he's said that he really wants to be a college head coach. I think Georgetown and Dayton are the two best gigs available right now so it's not like he's got a ton of choices. But I think he would get over any embarrassment pretty quick if Dayton hired him. Keep in mind, this is a guy who went back to Assembly Hall days after he was fired to support the women's program. If Crean were humiliated, no way he sets foot in there so soon. Imagine the stares and whispers he got that day.

Right, no reason to be humiliated. Crean's a good guy. You guys make it seem like taking the UD job would be like taking a job as a Wal-Mart greeter or something. It's not THAT much of a step down from the IU gig, and he wouldn't have to deal with all the IU/P5 bull****. Jay Bilas and many others have already said that the UD job is better than NC State and many other P5 gigs.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TN Flyer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Pronounced Cue-Wick.
Thank you!