User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting IU reaction

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports...8d5d2b06e.html
Mad Props to UD90 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-27-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2017, 07:29 AM
Captain

CJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud of
Not gonna be a whole lot of patience for a rebuild like he had at UD. Many of these IU fans are completely unreasonable and impatient. Hope he didn't make a mistake but on the other hand it might just turn out to be another example that the grass isn't always greener and UD is a pretty good place to be long term. My gut tells me he can win there but the leash will be short and every game and recruiting decision will take place in a bubble.
Mad Props to CJ2etc For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CJ2etc View Post
Many of these IU fans are completely unreasonable and impatient.
I lived in Indy the first 17 years after graduating from UD, and I have lived in the Columbus area for the last 25 or so.... I have never seen 2 more over the top unrealistic fan bases in my life (IU basketball and TOSU football). Anything less than winning every game (and by a large margin at that) is considered a failure.
I apologize as I know I have stated this before but... the quickest way I know of the pi$$off IU fans is to compare Bobby Knight to Woody Hayes; and conversely you can pi$$off TOSU fans just as quickly by comparing Woody Hayes to Bobby Knight! Two peas in a pod ... both got bigger than the program, and apparently will always be just that. The point being that Archie will NEVER be "Bobby Knight" to the IU fans. I don't care how successful he is. Fans only remember the championships, not the negative baggage (and they both had a lot) that came with those victories.
I hate IU basketball to this day because of their "over the top" fans. I have sort of warmed up to TOSU football, but lets face it, they are the only real professional team we have in the Columbus area.
I wish Archie the best. I love what he did for UD and hope whomever replaces him does as well or better!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (03-27-2017), soccerflyer (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CJ2etc View Post
Not gonna be a whole lot of patience for a rebuild like he had at UD. Many of these IU fans are completely unreasonable and impatient...he can win there but the leash will be short and every game and recruiting decision will take place in a bubble.
My biggest reason, by far, for second guessing Archie's jump to IU.

Yes, it was one of the jobs I most feared he'd take, if offered. I feared it because IU is a school where basketball is king, and championships were possible; both of which are very important to Archie in his career. But if the UD community is crazy about its basketball, the IU community is "psycho ex-girlfriend" crazy about its basketball. I just hope that we didn't lose our best coach in decades to a situation that becomes "Fatal Attraction" with a basketball theme for Archie. In that scenario, no one wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
It was the reason I thought he wouldn't go.

I have an IU fan (goes to all the games) text me that he thought the fans are unrealistic.

The AD expects final fours and a national title. Look at Zona, Sean Miller has had great teams and players and has 0 final fours in 8 years. He'd be fired at Indiana.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-27-2017), San Diego Flyer (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:00 AM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
IU is where coaches go and eventually get fired. I did not think he would go, I was wrong. This one hurts, but with the hurt comes the renewed optimism of what is next. Things are good at Dayton. We will be fine.
Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Their fan base has always been akin to an NBA fan base. Absolutely unforgiving.

Archie, say hello to True Team Indiana.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
most anywhere Archie went was going to come with expectations, its not like he was going to jump to Washington State where fans would be happy to just make the NCAA tournament at some point in his first 4 seasons. If there were few expectations, its likely it wouldn't be worth leaving Dayton, Archie probably could have had numerous jobs in P5 conferences w/ lower fan expectations the last few seasons.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I too have an IU fan whom I talked with and he is not crazy about the hire. While he admits Archie is a good coach he don't think AM is Indiana ready.

Like many IU fans he wanted an IU coach, someone with connections to the school, or at least the state.

Never though Archie would take the IU job due to all the stress and expectations laid out by their AD. My friend don't see him at IU after 4 years. He felt he should have stayed at Dayton at least another year to show what he is/was capable with his 4 seniors gone and a new incoming class. Or at the very least take a job inbetween UD and IU. IU thread is 50/50 on his hire and success.

Guess even if you are fired after 3-4 seasons you are set for life at 28million. But don't think money was the deciding factor for Archie.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
My biggest reason, by far, for second guessing Archie's jump to IU.

Yes, it was one of the jobs I most feared he'd take, if offered. I feared it because IU is a school where basketball is king, and championships were possible; both of which are very important to Archie in his career. But if the UD community is crazy about its basketball, the IU community is "psycho ex-girlfriend" crazy about its basketball. I just hope that we didn't lose our best coach in decades to a situation that becomes "Fatal Attraction" with a basketball theme for Archie. In that scenario, no one wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Every coach not named Roy Williams , Coach K, Calipari, Self, Izzo Jay Wright, Mark Few could be on the hot seat. Alford was almost fired. Sean Miller is constantly compared to Lute Olson. Tony Bennet can't get to the next level. Hell even Self doesn't get to the final four enough It goes on and on and on. It's the pressure cooker that is the NCAA. I think Arch lives for this kind of challenge. I hope Arch crushes it at Indiana.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-27-2017), steve (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
I too have an IU fan whom I talked with and he is not crazy about the hire. While he admits Archie is a good coach he don't think AM is Indiana ready.

Like many IU fans he wanted an IU coach, someone with connections to the school, or at least the state.

Never though Archie would take the IU job due to all the stress and expectations laid out by their AD. My friend don't see him at IU after 4 years. He felt he should have stayed at Dayton at least another year to show what he is/was capable with his 4 seniors gone and a new incoming class. Or at the very least take a job inbetween UD and IU. IU thread is 50/50 on his hire and success.

Guess even if you are fired after 3-4 seasons you are set for life at 28million. But don't think money was the deciding factor for Archie.
LOL.Your friend knows absolutely NOTHING if he thinks AM needed to stay to "prove" what he is capable of. Did he not watch a few years ago after a 1-5 start and an elite 8 appearance?Did he not watch what the guy did 2 years ago with 7 freakin' players? Did he not watch what he did this year losing Big Steve and not having JC for 20 plus games? I'd say Archie needed to do NOTHING else based on the offers he's had the past couple years, the offers he could have had he shown interest, and the 28 mm he just got..

Last edited by steve; 03-27-2017 at 11:07 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-27-2017), SLUFLYER (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
People who passionately want top jobs have a different drive and mentality. Not the guys who want it for their ego, or prestige or money. They know they will not fail. Reminds me of people saying Trump won't run, he won't win and he will hate DC. Meanwhile he is committed to what he has to do, and winning, and could care less about all the side chatter. Guys like Gates, Belichick, Buffet and Calipari.

If Archie has that mentality and skillset, he will win despite what we say, the IU fans say, and his first year says. The fact that he took the IU job for no more money than UD says it all... it is the challenge, it is about winning, and losing is not in his mind.

Will we be happy with less than Archie gave us? No, and I hope not.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think people are overstating what a rebuilding job is. UD was not a rebuilding job when Archie took the job and IU is not a rebuilding job now. Is there work to get to the next level? You bet. But UD was not at rock bottom, IU has not hit rock bottom. Taking over UD after JOB or SLU after Crews or IU after Sampson and sanctions, those are rebuilding jobs. UD was and IU is a good job that Archie is taking over that he just needs to bring to the next level.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone who says money wasn't in the equation on this decision isn't living on this planet. Money is at a minimum a calculator of how much they respect you as a candidate.

All that aside, this came down to recruits. Archie is a competitor. Recruiting is a game and coaches keep score. Every time Archie finished 2nd or 3rd with a recruit the last 6 years added up. He wants to close every recruit and IU gives him a big school pedigree that most high-level recruits are attracted to these days. And with a lot of those recruits comes the one and done or two and done mine field. He knows that and made the decision he can manage it.

I do agree with most that IU fans are on the cliff's edge if they don't start winning immediately at a very high level. I also read an article about Archie already working the phone with two IU recruits that have asked out of their commitment when they fired Crean. (The 3rd recruit was still committed.) Both were 3-star recruits. Not exactly a great class coming in. It's going to take some time and the lights just got a lot brighter.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-27-2017)