User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 08:02 AM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
You're not crazy enough

I know there are a couple of "call me crazy" threads but the problem is you're not crazy enough.

I think this team could be national champions.

Now pump the breaks, let me make clear what I'm NOT saying.

-I'm not saying we're the most talented and best coached team in the country.

-I'm not saying "bring it baby, we'll beat anybody anywhere anytime."

-I'm not even saying we'll win the A10!!

But I'm also not saying "if we could just get someone to go 9-9 from 3, foul out their 3 best players, and have Stanford knock off the higher seeds, we just MIGHT have a chance."

I'm saying is this: it's a very flat basketball world this year, and with decent matchups, and if everyone supporting Obi has a decent game (Jordy / Chapman), there are very few teams we can't beat. Heck if we just played with Jordy at full strength against Kansas, I think we win that game comfortably in regulation.

This is not a totally crazy idea.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-10-2020), Dave497 (11-28-2019), Lowd&ProUD (11-29-2019), Marysville Flyer (11-28-2019), TommyGola (01-10-2020), ud2 (11-28-2019), UDGutter2 (11-28-2019), Viperstick (11-28-2019), Wallage (11-28-2019)
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2019, 08:36 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not saying you're right or wrong but I want more evidence before deciding how good they can be. Colorado and Saint Mary's games for a start.

But I'm telling you that:

Kansas played their best game of the season against Dayton. I watched most of their games against Duke and BYU. They were better against Dayton.

Dayton did not play their best game of the season against Kansas (that was against Virginia Tech). Ibi was an exception - his best game so far was against Kansas.

Now, how much the respective teams will improve between now and March, is the question. Did Dayton peak at Maui? I don't think they did.
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:39 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,084 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
No your not crazy enough. You're too far past crazy.

Please schedule an appointment with your psychotherapist as soon as you can.

PS I like your thinking.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-10-2020), TX Flyer (11-30-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
You can only put five players on the court at one time. Kansas had two players that were far superior to their UD counterparts. UD had one player that was superior to the Kansas players.

The talent pool in the NCAA ebbs and flows. This year appears to be a year in which there is not dominance by the select/elite team.

The ball just has to bounce the right way to for UD to go to the Final Four or all the way. It happened for Butler a few years ago.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
you make your own luck, through effort and hustle and teamwork...
and that is what this year's team has..

there will be peaks and times we are not there...

it is not all depending on Obi and 2 others... we are as deep
a team as any I have seen and that is huge..

Jordy will only get better, I think there is no
ceiling to how good we can become... it will be
nice watching them develop the rest of the season...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-29-2019), Gazoo (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:32 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Let’s revisit this on January 6. Let’s see what happens vs St Marys and Colorado. Just as important- and maybe more - I want to see how this team does on its opening weekend in A10 play. 2 games in Philly against 2 teams that appear to be better than was originally predicted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lowd&ProUD (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Think it's ok to dare to dream with this team.

I am not a Jay Bilas worshiper, but he absolutely gushed over the Flyers the whole tournament. So there is that. He does know his basketball and he pointed out a lot of the
little things that make our team appear really good. Things that Champions have in common.

Then you need a lot of luck. Yes, you can work some of your issues out which increases your chances. But injuries are going to happen. If we are lucky they happen to a secondary contributor and not to an Obi.

Need luck in the seed and draw. Need luck that a blown call doesn't kill you in the fading seconds of a game like what happened to Chatman yesterday.
And really no one incident or loss in the season will change what is possible. It will only affect what's probable.

It's ok to dream this season.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 11-28-2019 at 09:40 AM..
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:40 AM

Thanked 15,911 Times in 6,995 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Gazoo's Crazy Enough Final 4:

UD
SFA
Evansville
????
BeckysTXA (01-10-2020), FLYER5 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

It's all true, crazy or not!

Flyers could win the Atlantic Ten, be ranked top 15 all year, get to A10 finals, and draw a top 4 seed in NCAA.

But, then again, we have seen this movie before, play like National Contenders in November Tropical exempt tournaments, only to come home and play down to lesser included and lower competition.

Probably not fair to hang that on the current team; but as for fans being crazy regarding hopes and expectations, proceed with both rationale caution; and the reality that the nightly grind in the Atlantic 10 is always dramatically more difficult than prognosticators suggest; and, this year, even the naysayers are giving the conference it's true due. For when Seth Greenberg says the Atlantic 10 will get 3, maybe 4, teams into the NCAA Tournament, translation...the Atlantic Ten will be on the cusp of getting 4 - 6 schools in the NCAA Tournament.

This team has moxy though. They have melded together well. I think the sky is the limit; but need the frontline to develop more depth, and improve on both sides of the ball. And need for the head coach to not let the opponent go on a 8 point run under 8 minutes left while star player sits at scores tabe waiting to check in. Call A Timeout!

The only thing crazy is that the program doesn't play at this level more frequently.

I'm still expecting flyer fan hater bedell, to predict the A10 will get zero teams in the NCAA Tournament. Afterall, prior to Maui, he said Dayton can sometimes hang (paraphrase), WTF!?!?!?! NOW THAT'S CRAZY!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-29-2019), flyerfanatic86 (12-02-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:08 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,751 Times in 793 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah let's just wait until the season is over to see if the potential is there :-) That sentiment reminds me of the ESPN win percent meter that always gets it right at the end of every game.

Guys at work asked me if UD was peaking too early. I told them possibly but I really believe (baring unforeseen injuries etc.) that we still have the possibility to improve a lot more and probably more than most teams that will make the dance.

Ibi still has not really gotten comfortable in his role. He's improving and contributing more each game but still needs improvement on D and to fully know just how he fits in. Chase hasn't really done much of anything to date. Jordy hasn't practiced in 8 weeks. If 1 or 2 of these guys improve to 80% of their ability, this team will be loads better because we can match up much better against the KUs of the world than we did last night.

I said 3 months ago I expect this season to be the best I've seen. Like Gazoo said, doesn't mean it will result in a Final 4 but having the confidence that this team can make its own breaks instead of hoping for the dominoes to fall just right has not ever been there in the like I see it in this team.
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lowd&ProUD (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:26 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,111 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Only thing I'm worried about is Houston Baptist, and I hope that's where the focus of the team is. I just don't like talk this early in the season, way too many things that can happen. One game at a time.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to JimBo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-28-2019), GoFlyer (11-29-2019), Lowd&ProUD (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,219 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
But, then again, we have seen this movie before, play like National Contenders in November Tropical exempt tournaments, only to come home and play down to lesser included and lower competition.
While I agree they have played well before in these tourneys, this year felt different. When Dayton beat UConn, they turned around and got crushed by Arizona before slipping past Maryland. When they won Maui on '03 the top teams went down early. Last year they seemed to lack a killer instinct.

This year they trounced 2 power 5 teams before losing in OT to possibly the number 1 team in the country. Stay healthy and the sky is the limit. As far as getting breaks, the breaks seem to come along with the number next to your name. The smaller the number, the more breaks you get. I get a feeling that number will be small this week, and no, I don't mean zero.

Take care of business against Houston Baptist before worrying about the next game. Gonna be a fun week.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:41 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
Only thing I'm worried about is Houston Baptist, and I hope that's where the focus of the team is. I just don't like talk this early in the season, way too many things that can happen. One game at a time.
Houston Baptist is 0-5. There was a reason they were scheduled for this slot.
Posted via Mobile Device
MrFlyerFanatic (12-02-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 12:03 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

UD
SFA
Evansville
????
C'mon, man!! You know I'm not saying just because we won a game here or there that we're a final 4 team. I have never, ever, said UD had even a sweet 16 caliber team. I'm saying that objectively, we have a realistic chance this year.

What are we missing?

-Shooting: Ibi, Crutcher, Chatman
-Defense: Crutcher, Chatman, Obi, Jordy (once healthy)
-PG play: not 1 but 2 starting PG's with another who can come off the bench for 5 minutes
-Depth: 8 guys getting productive double digit minutes, and that does not include Jordy and Jhery!
-Beef: Jordy, Obi, Trey, Chase
-Currently a 70% FT shooting team, even with Mikesell at 57%
-Poise: juniors and seniors abound, with upperclass guards
-Coaching: certainly not bad so far

Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
Hey everyone, let's just focus our attention on Houston Baptist so we don't wear out our fingers typing and risk hurting our conditioning for later in the season. C'mon people, focus.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-28-2019), frisco flyer (11-28-2019), ud2 (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Brigadier General

steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Houston Baptist is 0-5. There was a reason they were scheduled for this slot.
Posted via Mobile Device
don't know...
but this much I do know:
they are in the same conference as Stephen F Austin

I guarandarntee you
Coach Grant is telling his players
what happened to Duke....

150 consecutive home winning streak against non cons
stopped....

I don't care how it happened,
reason or no reason is not important to me...

win the game
is all I care about....

just win, baby

Go Flyers!
Old 11-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Captain

CJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud of
It's definitely early and a lot of the season is to yet to be played but one thing that stands out to me so far is that this team definitely passes the "eye test". They looked every bit as good as the P5 teams they beat outside of that monster in the middle Kansas had and the number of guys like him can be counted on 1 hand.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:30 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I'm still expecting flyer fan hater bedell, to predict the A10 will get zero teams in the NCAA Tournament. Afterall, prior to Maui, he said Dayton can sometimes hang (paraphrase), WTF!?!?!?! NOW THAT'S CRAZY!
I have seen you complain about Bedell before, and I will admit I rarely listen to him much but what little I heard Tuesday night was enough. I was listening as I was on the highway for an hour plus the minute the game ended. After at least a half dozen times giving the wrong final score, I called to educate them that they were screwing up. They had had only had one caller so far, who did not know Obis name. The producer begged me to stay on the line and go on the air to talk to Bedell, but I declined. About that time I lost signal for the show which was probably a good thing. Pretty sad from what little I witnessed.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (12-02-2019), Scoochie Goochie Koo (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 09:43 AM

Thanked 6,165 Times in 4,198 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing crazy is that the program doesn't play at this level more frequently.
Amen!
Old 11-29-2019, 09:47 AM

Thanked 6,165 Times in 4,198 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute

UD
SFA
Evansville
????
Not at all what he was saying, come on rollo.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:34 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
I said 3 months ago I expect this season to be the best I've seen. Like Gazoo said, doesn't mean it will result in a Final 4 but having the confidence that this team can make its own breaks instead of hoping for the dominoes to fall just right has not ever been there in the like I see it in this team.
When Obi came back, I said I thought we could be legit Top 15 and was confident it'd be the best UD team in my lifetime. (Not counting 1967 of which I was way too young to remember.)

But best UD team in my memory doesn't equate (necessarily) to best post season finish.

Plenty of #1 seeds have flamed out before the Sweet 16.

I expected this team to be better than 2013-14 but not necessarily get to the Elite Eight. The tourney is just too fickle and random.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lowd&ProUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (01-10-2020), Gazoo (12-02-2019), TA111 (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 02:51 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD View Post
When Obi came back, I said I thought we could be legit Top 15 and was confident it'd be the best UD team in my lifetime. (Not counting 1967 of which I was way too young to remember.)

But best UD team in my memory doesn't equate (necessarily) to best post season finish.

I expected this team to be better than 2013-14 but not necessarily get to the Elite Eight. The tourney is just too fickle and random.
Agreed. I’ve been following the team since late 60’s and this the most talented team, by far and they seem to have gelled. The tourney is always a crapshoot.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:51 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
. . . I expected this team to be better than 2013-14 but not necessarily get to the Elite Eight. The tourney is just too fickle and random.

Advancing in a one-and-done situation is always going to involve some luck.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:23 PM
General

Let’s revisit this on January 6.
Posted via Mobile Device

Done. I'm still just as crazy.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (01-10-2020), Flyer14 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM
General

UD
SFA
Evansville
????

Again, not saying we're GOING to be a final 4 team. I'm just saying, unlike years' past, it's not totally unrealistic to imagine it.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 12:37 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,599 Times in 5,092 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. No guarantees, but going into a tourney game, I feel our chances of success there are as good as they have ever been.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
Dreaming about following the Flyers to Atlanta?
If that comes to pass, bring money to the kiosk...lots of money!
Top seats are presently $6000 per seat. But if you have an oxygen mask, a few hundred should suffice!
Old 01-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,751 Times in 793 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Pulled the trigger on Atlanta yesterday. I know it's a long shot but I can't afford what the tickets would have been if I waited and pretty sure I can sell mine for what I have in them if they don't so no real risk.

The talent, team, and coaching are there on paper for this to be a reality. A lot has to happen in the next 16 games and then in the seeding, draw and many other factors for it to become a reality.

We plan to ride and enjoy the train as long as it lasts. The ride continues tomorrow. Go Flyers !!
Old 01-10-2020, 03:04 PM

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,079 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Pulled the trigger on Atlanta yesterday. I know it's a long shot but I can't afford what the tickets would have been if I waited and pretty sure I can sell mine for what I have in them if they don't so no real risk.

The talent, team, and coaching are there on paper for this to be a reality. A lot has to happen in the next 16 games and then in the seeding, draw and many other factors for it to become a reality.

We plan to ride and enjoy the train as long as it lasts. The ride continues tomorrow. Go Flyers !!
When we went to the elite 8 I decided to go to the game in Memphis when it became clear we were going to beat Stanford. I got on the web and immediately picked up 6 tix all together for like $14 each. I know they were up at the top of the arena but there were plenty of tickets down lower. I know it's too late but my advice is to wait until you see where they are going.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:02 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Done. I'm still just as crazy.
I didn’t need to wait until Jan 6 to confirm that, my issue was I wanted to see how this team did on the road in Philadelphia. Their accomplishments there makes me think this team is special.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:55 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
When we went to the elite 8 I decided to go to the game in Memphis when it became clear we were going to beat Stanford. I got on the web and immediately picked up 6 tix all together for like $14 each. I know they were up at the top of the arena but there were plenty of tickets down lower. I know it's too late but my advice is to wait until you see where they are going.
Well, the Final Four is in Atlanta. We know they're going there. It's the first two sites that are up in the air.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,339 Times in 449 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Gazoo,

You are right, I have not been crazy enough... but after beating VCU on the road - I've now gone mental !!!

I actually really believe they are going to win 28-29 games this year, and will compete for the national championship.

(yes, I do believe I just typed that)
Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-21-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:37 AM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree we will be competing for Fjnal Four.

Not having Chase lowers our odds. He was the right fit in terms of quality, height and minutes. We can still make it, just the lift is a little more challenging
Old 02-19-2020, 12:30 PM
Brigadier General

having Cohill performing raises our odds...
he is the right fit in terms of quality,
intensity, defense off the bench....

we can still get it done,
but with Cohill it makes the team deeper,
and perhaps his limited minutes may
help us, I know it will....

how much better, how much further will
we go? the book is still being written..

but I like what I am reading...

Go Flyers
Old 02-19-2020, 01:10 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
I agree we will be competing for Fjnal Four.

Not having Chase lowers our odds. He was the right fit in terms of quality, height and minutes. We can still make it, just the lift is a little more challenging
I don’t think Chase would make a difference this year. The minutes would not be there for him. Next year is a different story.
San Diego Flyer (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,010 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I don’t think Chase would make a difference this year. The minutes would not be there for him. Next year is a different story.
Chase would be getting plenty of mpg. First, he's really good, secondly, he would be our 2nd best BIG at a position of extreme need hoping to advance and, third, the kid just had a 9 for 9 or 10 for 10 shooting game his last game. That tells me he's really really good and he was finally getting comfortable here.
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 04:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by steve View Post
Chase would be getting plenty of mpg. First, he's really good, secondly, he would be our 2nd best BIG at a position of extreme need hoping to advance and, third, the kid just had a 9 for 9 or 10 for 10 shooting game his last game. That tells me he's really really good and he was finally getting comfortable here.
Define plenty and where would those minutes come from? I think AG just likes his starters and there just are not that many minutes available. I agree he could be really good and it would have been really nice to have him with us this year but I don't think it was going to be until next year until he was a major contributor. It is too bad we didn't get to find out.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:05 PM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Can't count on his return

Originally Posted by steve View Post
I believe all that, but also think the concussion syndrome will trump everything else. Having experienced 3 of them myself, it's a long and fragile way back. I would like to see him take all the time he needs. If healthy, it seems that he could be a Landers/Mikesell replacement with his skill set. But odds are he will have another Florida/Flyers set back regardless of what recuperative steps are taken.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:44 AM
General

We badly miss Chase for rebounding and his soft hands. Jordy is doing great at getting better all the time, but the guy is wearing steel mittens out there. Chase is a more fully developed player.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-21-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute

UD
SFA
Evansville
????
Evansville is winless in their conference. Our Flyers are undefeated in conference and in regulation for the season. I know it's hindsight, but having lumped those two together makes you look silly. So for one day (just one, not a permanent thing), you need to take off your self-proclaimed crown, put on your commoner clothes and walk around in obscurity with us peons who dared to believe (led by the Amazing Gazoo).
As people pointed out, doesn't mean UD will make the Final Four, as tourney so fickle, but this team has given us the right to dream.
So for one day, step down from your throne (and flush the dang thing, its creating a stench in here) and join us in enjoying the team to give us the most fun and hope since.....well.....a long time!!! And don't say 5 years, as very few of us saw the Elite 8 run coming. That team was super fun, but did not create this kind of in season excitement.
You will learn us commoners are quite fun in our simple beliefs and craziness in daring to dream big.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:38 AM

Thanked 17,143 Times in 5,114 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Speaking of Evansville, I think they were 9-4 including the win at #1 Kentucky when HC McCarty was suspended. Also beat Murray State in there. They haven't won since....15 losses in a row. I think they had a personnel issue in there as well but still.

NCAA Tournament is all about bracket matchups. Thats 80% of your path to a national title unless you're talent level is above and beyond the field -- which Dayton's isn't. Xavier was a #1 seed four year ago and couldn't get past the 2nd Rd because they went up against a super athletic and long #9 Florida State team. Wichita State entered the bracket a cpl years prior with an undefeated record and #1 seed and couldnt get past the 2nd round either....running up against #8 Kentucky.

Anybody inside the #13 seed have the playmakers to beat just about anybody else in the bracket. For instance BYU would not be a good matchup for Dayton because they have two huge hoss/inside guys that can put up big-time numbers...plus guards that can shoot. They are finesse AND strength. One reason they played Kansas pretty tough in Maui despite not having Childs for that game. If/when we run into a team with a sizeable post presence, we're in trouble. Battey and Azubuike did whatever they wanted against us for a reason.

It also helps when someone in your bracket draw takes out a high seed. Stanford took out Kansas for us in 2014. I doubt we beat Kansas otherwise. Stanford had two big frontcourt players to cause KU trouble.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 02-23-2020, 12:49 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
If/when we run into a team with a sizeable post presence, we're in trouble. Battey and Azubuike did whatever they wanted against us for a reason.
Besides the rest of your gloom and doom post, I get what you're saying here. We might run into big guys like Battey and Azubuike and get killled, IN OVERTIME. Think about it. We lost in OT to both teams including the #1 team in the country come Monday with the best sizable presence big guy in the country. Maybe, just maybe, if Jordy would've played with the slight improvement he's shown since, we win both those games.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:43 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,287 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Using the Maui games as a measuring stick has some risk. Early in the season we were more dominate than I believe we are today. We have been in a number of relatively close games in the A-10, and to our credit won them all. We are good, very good, but there are a number of teams that could give us all we want. I personally would postpone games against Baylor and Kansas as long as possible.

Last edited by UD62; 02-23-2020 at 10:45 AM..
Old 02-23-2020, 10:24 AM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Using the Maui games as a measuring stick has some risk. Early in the season we were more dominate than I believe we are today.
Teams just have more film on us, That’s the difference.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (02-23-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,338 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Teams just have more film on us, That’s the difference.
And we have more film on them...isn't technology great!
Old 02-23-2020, 12:54 PM

Thanked 17,143 Times in 5,114 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
We also have five fewer fouls to give with no Chase Johnson.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 02-23-2020, 01:51 PM

Thanked 10,167 Times in 5,895 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Using the Maui games as a measuring stick has some risk. Early in the season we were more dominate than I believe we are today. We have been in a number of relatively close games in the A-10, and to our credit won them all. We are good, very good, but there are a number of teams that could give us all we want. I personally would postpone games against Baylor and Kansas as long as possible.
Yep, like Indiana St.

So many undervalue the A10. Granted there are some dogs, but there are 8 solid good teams, that measure up to most conferences. The A10 is eight in the RPI, and not that far behind some above them.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:51 PM
General

I don't care what conference you're in, it's freaking hard to win your conference. Every team knows you, every team has something that makes you uncomfortable.

Remember when we played Huggy and beat him in the NCAA tournament? He watched film and saw we couldn't shoot to save our lives. He played 10 feet off us on the perimeter. We hit 1 early 3 and he panicked, guarded us out to 24 feet, and we were able to attack the rim. St. Bona would have just said "congrats, let's see if you can hit 5 more." That's the difference between conference play and non-con play. You start to doubt yourself.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:03 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Unless a certain red shirt... never mind, don't want to get attacked again lol
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 02:03 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Besides the rest of your gloom and doom post, I get what you're saying here. We might run into big guys like Battey and Azubuike and get killled, IN OVERTIME. Think about it. We lost in OT to both teams including the #1 team in the country come Monday with the best sizable presence big guy in the country. Maybe, just maybe, if Jordy would've played with the slight improvement he's shown since, we win both those games.
Boy his improvements are slight. Yesterday he fouled after being in for under 5 seconds. I wonder if AG told him to not to foul at any cost, could he do it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2020, 02:18 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I would say his improvements are noticeable from his play in Maui to now. He is not setting the world on fire, but he can move his feet and get in position pretty well, if he catches the ball near the rim he is automatic, and he has become a dependable sub to spell Obi for a few minutes a game, and even more minutes if the play under the basket is getting physical.

We need everything he can give to make a deep run.

Now only if Ibi can find his stroke from the perimeter again!
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 02:22 PM
General

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Boy his improvements are slight. Yesterday he fouled after being in for under 5 seconds. I wonder if AG told him to not to foul at any cost, could he do it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow, you haven't seen his improvements? Or you have and you're picking on how slight they are. Okay, but since we tied those teams in regulation, wouldn't even slight improvement for 5 minutes of play, maybe, just maybe, give us that extra point we needed to win the game?
Old 02-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,338 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Wow, you haven't seen his improvements? Or you have and you're picking on how slight they are. Okay, but since we tied those teams in regulation, wouldn't even slight improvement for 5 minutes of play, maybe, just maybe, give us that extra point we needed to win the game?
Isn't it possible that those teams may have players that have gotten better too. Not saying we couldn't beat either of them but I don't think it's as easy as saying one of our players got a little better so we automatically would win now.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:16 PM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Isn't it possible that those teams may have players that have gotten better too. Not saying we couldn't beat either of them but I don't think it's as easy as saying one of our players got a little better so we automatically would win now.
I asked if it was possible, not if it was inevitable. I'm not the one who stated with certainty that we'd be in trouble if we played guys with bigs like Kansas and Colorado.

Look, it's this simple, we played those teams evenly through 40 minutes, it's ridiculous to say with certainty we will get beat by a team like those when we tied with them in regulation. So if you want to present "Isn't it possibles..." do it to those that have presented opinions as fact.