» Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 AM
Just off the Jet

lankabej is on a distinguished road
Opposition take

Here's a short on the game from Davidson perspective

http://www.lakenormancitizen.com/spo...ot.html‬
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 02-25-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2017, 10:24 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
http://davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

100 or so posts and not one complaint about the refs. This has to be the most polite bball message board out there.
It was stated a few times, their free throw shooting was their demise. Too many missed front ends.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:40 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post

100 or so posts and not one complaint about the refs. .

Why would they complain about the refs? The total number of foul shots means nothing if the game is called right. We defended (when we played defense) with our feet. They defended with their hands. Easy calls to make even for an inexperienced ref.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post

100 or so posts and not one complaint about the refs. This has to be the most polite bball message board out there.
It was stated a few times, their free throw shooting was their demise. Too many missed front ends.

I spent 10 seconds looking and found these...so there's probably more:

"Touchy fouls..."

"Refs still calling touch fouls; we are still not adjusting."

"Interesting perspective, I lost my voice from screaming at refs last night...
If the game had been officiated tighter, it might have made a difference..."

You're right about them being polite! Who's their King?!

Last edited by rollo; 02-25-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 02-25-2017, 11:25 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
But they weren't complaining just commenting.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,341 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It was sort of an amazing game because as much as we shot a ton a free throws it did have the feel of a game where the refs let them play.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:51 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of
Sounds like Flyer fans made their presence felt, as usual. I couldn't really tell on TV, but a couple of Davidson fans gave a tip of their cap:

"It's one (bad) thing to be out-cheered by the visiting fans in a blowout loss. But in a tight game? Davidson fans were streaming out at the end of regulation."

"Dayton had a very strong group of fans at the game. Hats off to them. I hope that if any of them are local they come back for other games. Plenty of seats are available."
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer 79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-25-2017), Figgie123 (02-25-2017), FLYER5 (02-25-2017), Radar (02-25-2017), redbengal (02-25-2017), ruechalgrin (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 79 View Post

"It's one (bad) thing to be out-cheered by the visiting fans in a blowout loss. But in a tight game? Davidson fans were streaming out at the end of regulation."
I was shocked when you could see fans leaving the arena at the end of regulation on TV. It was a late start game and it was after 11 pm already at that point so what's anther 30 minutes? Can't ever understand how you can be invested in a game for 90% and then just leave when the outcome is still in the balance.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (02-25-2017), NovaFlyer (02-25-2017), San Diego Flyer (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Last night explains Davidson's record for the year.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:18 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I was shocked when you could see fans leaving the arena at the end of regulation on TV. It was a late start game and it was after 11 pm already at that point so what's anther 30 minutes? Can't ever understand how you can be invested in a game for 90% and then just leave when the outcome is still in the balance.
And it was FRIDAY night.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 PM
2nd Lieutenant

301Lowes is just really nice301Lowes is just really nice301Lowes is just really nice301Lowes is just really nice
I was at the game. It's a glorified gym with seating for 5k. Maybe 2/3 full if you were being optimistic. It's a tiny "arena". Watching some highlights on TV, the camera angle makes it look much bigger. To be fair; Davidson enrollment is around 2K. So alumni base is smaller but you have to think many are still there in Charlotte.

Very few students at the game. Davidson alums were mostly older. I suspect the late start and then the thought of overtime made them head for the exits. I was a bit shocked though when overtime started that the Davidson people were heading for the exits. It was also clear Davidson was gassed and lost 2 starters to fouls. So I suspect they knew the inevitable was coming.

It was a little hard to determine how big our fan base was at the game. But you did hear "Defense" chants going at critical moments when Dayton needed a defensive stop. Several Dayton signs in the stands. We had a couple of Dayton fans that appear to have stopped taking their meds; they were holding signs about aliens and lizard people. Not sure if that's some Davidson inside joke. Our fan base was mostly older as well but they stuck it out. When overtime finished it was clear how big our fan base was at the game; probably half the crowd was left in the building. Vast majority left in the stands had to be Dayton fans.

A Dayton recruit was at the game and appeared to have family members along, including a little one that was doing his best screaming "Dayton" throughout the game.

Was hoping the team would stay on the floor for a few moments after the game so they would get a chance to receive some thanks from the fans left in the building. It's such a small gym you literally can walk out onto the floor. Would have been nice to wish them luck the rest of the way and whatever is next for the seniors after this year is over. It's been a joy to watch them for four years. Let's all remember they're college age kids and refrain from any vitriol here, at the arena and elsewhere. They're just kids playing a game, they owe us nothing and all that can be asked is that they leave happy and set up for a bright future.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 301Lowes For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (02-25-2017), Cityengr (02-25-2017), Figgie123 (02-25-2017), FLYER5 (02-25-2017), Glen Clark (02-25-2017), JimBo (02-26-2017), ruechalgrin (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by 301Lowes View Post

Very few students at the game.
And for being in NC I was shocked, at let's say the talent or lack thereof, in the student section whenever the TV would pan over there.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Hate to have to recruit that territory as a smaller program. With the likes of Duke, UNC, NCSt, and even Wake, how can they get any quality in-state recruits..?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:22 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
Hate to have to recruit that territory as a smaller program. With the likes of Duke, UNC, NCSt, and even Wake, how can they get any quality in-state recruits..?
I can't answer that but the key would be how did they get Stephen Curry? They manage. I think those other schools do a lot of recruiting all over the country and that would leave some good NC players available and yet Davidson can get players from out of state too. And let's not forget, NC is an attractive state to go to college. The great equalizer is that the players they get will most likely play 4 years.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Flyer 79 View Post
Sounds like Flyer fans made their presence felt, as usual. I couldn't really tell on TV, but a couple of Davidson fans gave a tip of their cap.
I was there with two of my Ghetto roommates and am still having trouble with the vocal cords today. I felt a little bad when the two young Davidson fans in front of me stared at me in wonder, but then went right back to yelling "Let's Go Flyers". They'll understand one day.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
They need someone to start selling "I stayed until the end of the game" t-shirts...
Mad Props to MikeF For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:12 PM

Thanked 10,172 Times in 5,900 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Davidson is out in the boonies, but only about 35 minute from Charlotte. The town is tiny, and the school, and Lake Norman, is it in that town. So yes it is hard to recruit there. They also have to go up against UNC Charlotte, which is a huge school with big bucks and a beautiful campus. It is amazing that UNCC does not achieve more. As we know school size or location is not the major issue in basketball recruiting.

Davidson is a beautiful campus, and I mean stunning. Kids go their for academics, not basketball. We noticed walking to and from the game there were few kids anywhere. Could have been break, or they take off on weekends, or they were watching the game on ESPN.

When we came down for breakfast at the hotel, we were greeted by about a dozen Davidson alumni, who were the nicest, most complimentary people you can meet. As were the Davidson fans sitting all around us. They commented they loved being in the A10 over the Southern Conference. They also said, do you get this many people at other away games? I said more usually. They said that Scoochie is amazing.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (02-25-2017), San Diego Flyer (02-25-2017), SeasonTicketFan (02-25-2017), The Fly (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
My wife, daughter and I took a campus visit to Davidson this summer. Jack is correct in that it is a lovely town and awesome campus. Outstanding academics, but uber liberal artsy. I asked our tour guide to comment on their job fairs and she looked like I was speaking Latin- (probably her major). They don't do that she explained, though some of the insurance companies from Charlotte visit campus to recruit their business majors. Their kids go on to grad school, law school, med school, etc.

All that said I'd see them being successful in getting a certain profile of athlete- affluent who takes academics seriously. I personally fell in love with the place. The people there are quality.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerBob For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-26-2017), San Diego Flyer (02-25-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Thanked 10,172 Times in 5,900 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Davidson's arena is not big. It would probably not make the top 15 HS gyms in Indiana. It is first class, with great lighting, nice amenities, clean and with two large playback video screens and in a beautiful building.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-26-2017)