Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Academy Doolie

DaytonBBall can only hope to improve
Just wondering

Seems kind of slow here, so i was just wondering about a couple things.
So I was reading the roster and it seems the walk-ons have been thinned out. Only Dan Fox and Luke Hendrick are left. I was kind of surprised Peter Zestermann is no longer on the roster at least he would have been a big body for practice, you know.
Anyways, do you think the walk-ons will have any type of impact and if so, who?
Does anyone know if we have any preferred walk-ons that will be late additions to the roster?
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DaytonBBall View Post
So I was reading the roster and it seems the walk-ons have been thinned out. Only Dan Fox and Luke Hendrick are left. I was kind of surprised Peter Zestermann is no longer on the roster at least he would have been a big body for practice, you know.
Does anyone know if we have any preferred walk-ons that will be late additions to the roster?
I don't think either of them will be able to make a impact sitten the bench the whole year. The only time they will see time is if we are up by 30 or down by 30 ( In the last 50 seconds)
Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
What's with the obsession with walk-ons? Every season we have people clammoring about this stud from St. Louis who's going to 'walk-on' and that stud from Indy who's going to 'walk-on' and lead this team to the NCAA's. OY!!!

Walk-ons are practice players. Nothing else.

Preferred walk-ons don't have to tryout with the other 20 wanna-be's for the 1 or 2 spots reserved for them.

Don't get me wrong as I love the walk-ons. Very few people are willing to put in that kind of time and commitment for little or no benefit. God bless all walk-ons, because we need them.

And before you tatoo me about Keith Waleskowski, he was never a walk-on as the intent from day 1 was to give him a scholarship....his 1/2 year off was more like a 'grey-shirt'.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DaytonBBall View Post
We have 13 kids on ships this year,plus the 2 walkons gives us 15. Thats what we have carried as a team, the past few years we had only 11 players on ships due to not filling the ships, thats why 4 walkons at that time
Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
What's with the obsession with walk-ons? Every season we have people clammoring about this stud from St. Louis who's going to 'walk-on' and that stud from Indy who's going to 'walk-on' and lead this team to the NCAA's. OY!!!

Dan fox was the only person getting in peoples faces about playing like crap towards the end of the year. when no1 else was a vocal leader he said something...he called out b-rob. true they are practice players, but they have a little more value than that
Old 08-14-2008, 05:17 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If walk-ons make a direct statistical contribution, some scholarship player(s) has very likely gotten hurt or are not contributing for various reasons.

On the other hand, if they have leadership qualities as individuals, but simply aren't physically gifted enough to earn minutes on the floor, walk-ons can really help in team chemistry and other indirect areas just by being smart and supportive of their teammates.

They don't have to score points to make a noticeable contribution.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Academy Doolie

DaytonBBall can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

Preferred walk-ons don't have to tryout with the other 20 wanna-be's for the 1 or 2 spots reserved for them.

Don't get me wrong as I love the walk-ons. Very few people are willing to put in that kind of time and commitment for little or no benefit. God bless all walk-ons, because we need them.

And before you tatoo me about Keith Waleskowski, he was never a walk-on as the intent from day 1 was to give him a scholarship....his 1/2 year off was more like a 'grey-shirt'.
Sorry for asking rollo i'll try to keep the "clamor about the obsession" to a minimum
Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 PM

Binnie Bombs 33 is on a distinguished road
Walk-ons are a huge part of the team ... even if they never play in the game ... if they did not sacrifice their bodies for the better of the team in practice our team would be worse. Not to mention many walk-ons have great relationships with the players off the court.

Also as a former manager ... the managers roll is soooo important not to mention they work 65-70 hours a week for the team. The players on the court obviously, but so much work off the court is underlooked.

Managers and Walk-ons make the team chemistry what it is.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
dude there is no way you worked 65-70 hours a week for the basketball team as a manager
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

ChicagoFlyer is a jewel in the roughChicagoFlyer is a jewel in the roughChicagoFlyer is a jewel in the rough
im with you daytonflyers, not a chance 65-70 hours
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
I'm trying to remember any walk-ons from my era that made a difference . . .

Swamp might remember . . . was Steve Turnwald ('70) a walk-on? He may have earned a scholarship, but it seems to me he was in the walk-on category.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Turnwald had a schollie
Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Originally Posted by daytonflyers View Post
dude there is no way you worked 65-70 hours a week for the basketball team as a manager
Maybe he's talking total time that the washers and dryers are running as well.....
Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Didn't Andy Metzler start off as a walk on?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Some of those teams were so bad we would have lost to SEVERAL DIII teams on our home floor.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Actually I seem to remember we did lose to D2 teams at home in those days. I always liked Metzler though. He wasn't the most talented guy we ever had, but he always played hard and was a pretty good three point shooter.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
Actually I seem to remember we did lose to D2 teams at home in those days. I always liked Metzler though. He wasn't the most talented guy we ever had, but he always played hard and was a pretty good three point shooter.
And could mix it up off the court as well . . .