UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Duquesne Game Thread

1-0 Dukes at the half.

Bad give-away at mid-field. Poor defending as striker dribbled across top of box and scored from the center top of box. Gave her too much space for a wide open shot. Johns did not have much of a chance.

We are dominating possession. 17-2 on shots. 7-0 on corners. Alas,they only reward goals.

They are giving us the whole left side but Blank hasn't been able to do much of anything.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
1-1. 60 min into the game
Old 11-05-2015, 06:54 PM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
1-1. Going into OT.

Nice chip by Griesinger to Campbell, who pulled it down with a good first touch and tapped it home.

We have had lots of shots - 35 with 16 on frame - but most not high quality.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
2nd ot starts soon
Old 11-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Colonel

Penalty kicks coming still 1-1
Old 11-05-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by NovaFlyer View Post
Penalty kicks coming
Our history of PKs is not good.
soccerflyer (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Colonel

Lost on pk
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by NovaFlyer View Post
Lost on pk
PK efforts were pathetic.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Bill302 will become famous soon enough
ud69...I would have to agree. Both sides were pretty bad...at least keep it on frame. No reason to miss at that level.
Mad Props to Bill302 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Our history of PKs is not good.
I've been a Tucker supporter and I think he's a great recruiter. But Johns looked like a deer in headlights and incapable of making any stops. I question if she was prepared as a freshman for such a moment. I also question how Dayton can go down on PK's for a third time in recent memory (2012 semifinal to VCU, 2013 final to La Salle, and this 2015 quarterfinal to Duquesne).

Whether we had any depth at goal position this year is a question I've raised after giving up too many goals a number of times this regular season. The Duquesne goalie looked formidable, stopping two PK's. Everyone knows 2/5 saves will give you 90% chance for the win at that stage. Congrats to the Dukes... see you in 40 weeks!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:51 PM

My own view is that Johns has been adequate but not spectacular in goal. She did make a very good play late in regulation or OT when she came off her line to smother a very dangerous ball. She had no chance on the Dukes goal. As noted above, there were other miscues that led to that goal. As to her performance on the PKs, she did stop 1. Thought she might have been able to kick save the first. Our own PK efforts were just awful. I do question why she did not dribble the ball upfield at times instead of taking punts - as Duquesne was giving her 30 yards of open space. Her punts and goal kicks this year were a step up from what we had last year.

IMHOP once you get past Waters and Campbell, the rest of the team may be the least talented of any Dayton team over the last 15 or so years. I would be hard pressed to name a third player that personally could affect a game either way - offensively or defensively. I might point out that tonight nobody else - other than those 2 - could stick it in the net. This, despite 37 shots (most very weak) and 13 corners and 5 PKs.

Yet, we were one of the most dangerous teams offensively this year in a long time. That speaks well of Campbell and Waters. To me, our defensive shortcomings were the real boat anchor. Because of our lack of speed and quickness, we gave offensive players far too much space. This led to many wide open shots - such as the one Duquense goal tonight.

Our overall lack of size and speed and strength and skill and soccer IQ is very apparent. Once tonight, Waters held off her defender for at least 3 dribbles while being heavily pushed and pressured. Nobody else on this team could ever do that.

Our efficiency on corners this year was 2 for 131 I think.That is abysmal. Most of the time (80-90%), the service from Waters on those corners was quite solid. I think much of that lack of success speaks to effort and desire. Quite honestly, I would have had someone else taking the corners and put Waters in the box. No lack of effort and desire from her.

!0-9-1 is not what one expects from Dayton women's soccer in any year - let alone this year when the A-10 is as weak as it has ever been. This has been one of the more disappointing seasons that I can remember. Next year has me concerned as well. With Campbell and Waters graduating, I don't see anybody close to replacing them.

Last edited by ud69; 11-08-2015 at 10:53 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
NorthernFlyer (11-08-2015), soccerflyer (01-11-2016)
Old 11-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
IMHOP once you get past Waters and Campbell, the rest of the team may be the least talented of any Dayton team over the last 15 or so years. I would be hard pressed to name a third player that personally could affect a game either way - offensively or defensively. I might point out that tonight nobody else - other than those 2 - could stick it in the net. This, despite 37 shots (most very weak) and 13 corners and 5 PKs.
I refute this - the A10 does not have goal depth scoring on any team as much as Dayton. La Salle has a pretty good distribution of scoring percentagewise, but nowhere near the frequency of Dayton's scoring this season.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Top four seeds all lose. That doesn't happen very often.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by soccerflyer View Post
I refute this - the A10 does not have goal depth scoring on any team as much as Dayton. La Salle has a pretty good distribution of scoring percentagewise, but nowhere near the frequency of Dayton's scoring this season.
I understand what you are saying - if you look strictly at the numbers. My own opinion - from the matches I have watched - is that many of those scores were off setups from Waters or scrums in the box. Kiehl's size limits her ability to create on her own. Leedom had 3 goals - I think all on set pieces. Blank did very little - 3 goals- for all the minutes she played, the same minutes as Campbell. LeRoy had 3 goals - one that I remember came off exceptional effort.

Just one man's opinion.
NorthernFlyer (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 AM
Academy Doolie

NorthernFlyer will become famous soon enoughNorthernFlyer will become famous soon enough
I understand what you are saying - if you look strictly at the numbers. My own opinion - from the matches I have watched - is that many of those scores were off setups from Waters or scrums in the box. Kiehl's size limits her ability to create on her own. Leedom had 3 goals - I think all on set pieces. Blank did very little - 3 goals- for all the minutes she played, the same minutes as Campbell. LeRoy had 3 goals - one that I remember came off exceptional effort.

Just one man's opinion.
Another man's opinion is that your opinions are spot on.....
Old 11-08-2015, 06:38 PM

Duquesne wins A-10 tournament and their first ever NCAA berth with 2-0 win over Fordham - after 2-1 win over La Salle in semis. Should have been us as the champion. Dukes give up only 2 goals in 3 tournament matches.

Offense wins games but defense wins championships. So true.

Last edited by ud69; 11-08-2015 at 07:51 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-09-2015), NovaFlyer (11-09-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 07:09 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow It was what it was.

Too many one- and zero-tool players on the pitch for Dayton. Too many struggled to play at the A10 level every night and are stuck in the lineup because the bench is short on alternatives. Too many players not checking enough boxes: separation speed, dynamic foot skills, vision, physicality, or work-rate. Every player needs at least one "get me out of trouble" skill to even be marginally effective.

You can't win 2 vs. 11 every night and too often that's what it felt like: two players doing voodoo magic to hide major issues on defense and quite frankly an offense that really wasn't much of an offense. It was two Big-10 level players holding back the dam. At times it worked, but too much was asked of too few and too much was provided by too few. That we finished 10-9-1 might be a small miracle all things considered. I expected far more at the beginning of the season, but not enough players took a step forward. Some important ones took a step back. The disappointment in the A10 tournament was foreshadowed by an inability to manufacture clean sheets. Cant out-score everyone in elimination games. Field gets too compact. Teams bunker and play for OT/PKs.

We needed to learn how to win a few 1-0 games. Just never happened.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-08-2015, 08:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Can't say I was surprised with the outcome. As forecasted by a top player and one that I often quoted and got read the riot act by some relatives of players came true this year. Accordingly she felt the program was in a downward spiral as the staff were not recruiting consistent D1 level players.

A term that was often used for Jabirs ladies team was "soft" and that pretty well sums it up. Talent was there, just not enough of it and not that many willing to put forth the effort to get the "W".

Tucker has his work cut out for him, don't believe this can be corrected in one recruiting class. Been taking steps backward for several years and it has caught up with the program.

Considering soccer is one of the programs the U is investing $$$ in, they are not realizing a return on their investment. Something has to change and quickly or soccer will be regulated to the rest of the olympic programs.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 11-08-2015 at 08:52 PM..
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-09-2015)