User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Spring Game

Word on the street is that the spring game will be on 4/18/10. Sunday again this year. I hope that we have enough healthy QB's to actually play a game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jmitch (02-25-2010), smitch425 (02-25-2010)
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
I'm Ready

Boy, am I ready for some football!!! If the game is on 4/18, then spring practice will start a few weeks before that. Anyone know what date spring practice actually starts? Can't wait!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Ready for sure. Only a few weeks before the full list of recruits is posted.

We expect some "Mitchell Reports" from the Tuesday night practices!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
jmitch (02-26-2010), smitch425 (02-26-2010)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Just off the Jet

Flearn is on a distinguished road
I believe Spring practive begins on Tuesday, April 6th (thru Sat, April 17th).
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flearn For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (03-01-2010), jmitch (02-28-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
first practice is...

TONIGHT!!!! Also, I have confimation that the spring game is scheduled for April 18 from noon-3pm.
Mad Props to smitch425 For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (03-16-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
So what did you see?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Captain

Went to see the Flyers baseball team today then stopped by football practice. In baseball news, we saw Drew Fumagalli (FB alum). Drew is playing on the baseball team as a backup catcher. He saw no game action today.

On the gridiron, a couple of things stood out. First, Pechan was out there in his green QB jersey. Good to see him still on the team. In addition, both Nate Miller and Nick Glavine were sportting their blue kicker jerseys. Looks like both will be back for next season. Also, Jared Phillips (QB) was punting the ball. Ross Fumagalli (Drew's brother) was wearing Drew's former #9. Millio was out there receiving and returning punts. Tino was...well..Tino...You can tell that this is his team, just from the way he says his pre-snap cadence. In all, the practice was spirited. Lots of new numbers on defense (especially D-Line), but the UD defense just reloads, so I am not worried.

I'll continue to post after practices, but I don't want to damage the "fan-coach relationship". I'd hate for coach to close practices because some dope (me) is posting critical info on fan message boards. I will not post anything that might seem to hurt the team if an opponent gets the info. If there is something in practice that you would like for me to look for, feel free to PM me.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
Charlie B (03-21-2010), DetroitFlyer (03-21-2010), Flyer Gramps (03-21-2010), UACFlyer (04-09-2010), UDBrian (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 03:00 AM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. No question, we don't want any weaknesses or strategies discussed here
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up The Mitchell Report

Thanks jmitch, you listen to senior instructions well!

Your words are just what we need each week...who's out there. The 2009 wounded were certainly there; so many repaired shoulders these days. Didn't know one kicker had another year.

So the league's offensive POY was mentioned; how about the league's outstanding WR and the league's 2-time All-Linebacker?

Who are running backs seeing the most action? Who handles the receivers now?

I don't think you can tell us anything from Spring Practice that is secret. We will try to do the same on defense as the past - many years - and the same on offesnse except more better in the red zone. Actually, it seems like names are the most important right now.

And while you're bumping around, can you find out if there will be any internet video of home games this season?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I have now actually seen

he official announcment for the spring game in the Jetway and on the website. Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to attend this year. I will be at a first communion on Saturday, and a baptism on game day, (Sunday), over in Pittsburgh. Yes, I am in fact crushed, but at the end of the day, family comes first....

So, I sure hope that those of you that can attend will provide a good report!

By the way, that smithc425 and jmitch sure looked good on national television during the Flyers NIT game. If all else falls through, I can see a bright career in television for both of you!
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jmitch (04-08-2010)
Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Captain

DF...Funny...I haven't seen the replay of us in the stands, but my understanding is that the camera focused on smitch and then panned out to catch me before changing to a new camera shot. That's what I call a good producer...Smitch is much more photogenic than I. Because of the NIT travels, I haven't made it to many FB practices of late. Hopefully that changes this weekend.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
DF...Funny...I haven't seen the replay of us in the stands, but my understanding is that the camera focused on smitch and then panned out to catch me before changing to a new camera shot. That's what I call a good producer...Smitch is much more photogenic than I. Because of the NIT travels, I haven't made it to many FB practices of late. Hopefully that changes this weekend.
Yes, I thought I saw some mitch's on TV from MSG but never posted anything. Guess my first reaction was that they are missing some football practices.

Did you see that Wake Forest lost a basketball coach because he couldn't finish the season very well. Obviously the regular season didn't mean anything after Conference Tournaments became the rage. Now it's making the group of 64 that counts and going beyond that, winning an appropriate number of games in the tournament. Guess at the wages we pay head coaches today, they better deliver!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Colonel

Getting in the mood for UD football

Here's a link to get you excited about the spring game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZG1Rb7us4
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (04-09-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Our Facility....WS....

Last year at this time, as I recall, there was quite a bit of talk (complaining?) about the football facility that the Flyers call home. The team had yet to play a game in the refurbished stadium; indeed, I think work was still underway.

When the season started I was looking forward to a comprehensive, thoughtful critque of all aspects of the new WS, from the field, to the fan amenities, to the pressbox, to the overall appearance...inlcuding items added by UD just for game day, e.g., flags, signs, banners, etc.

(Complaining about the DPS logo at mid-field does not fit my description of "thoughtful" commentary.)

Maybe I'm getting old (no maybes about it!), but I don't recall a really thorough and balanced analysis of the type the football experts on this board are more than capable of providing.

Anyone willing to provide a summary...an update....now that eveything is in place?

Thank you.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Well...

this isn't very "thorough", but I can tell you that there are still ZERO mirrors in the ladies room. I know this isn't exactly what you wanted, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the board that could supply you with that tidbit of knowledge since I think everyone else that bothers to comment in the football forum is male.

I'll see if I can get jmitch to post more about what you are really looking for.

Last edited by smitch425; 04-09-2010 at 12:59 PM..
Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Great Video

Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
Here's a link to get you excited about the spring game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZG1Rb7us4
The first thing that came to mind was how would you like to be an opposing coach having to prepare to play against Tino?

The next thing that came to mind is that this is a great video for NFL scouts.... It will be interesting to see if Tino attracts some interest from the NFL this season. He reminds me a great deal of Armanti Edwards of App State. AE is "too small" to be an NFL QB, but he is such a great athlete that most feel he will be drafted this year.... Could Tino be the 2nd ever player drafted from the PFL into the NFL?

I am looking forward to the nice spring and summer weather, but man I am ready for the fall and football....
Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Dismal!

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Last year at this time, as I recall, there was quite a bit of talk (complaining?) about the football facility that the Flyers call home. The team had yet to play a game in the refurbished stadium; indeed, I think work was still underway.

When the season started I was looking forward to a comprehensive, thoughtful critque of all aspects of the new WS, from the field, to the fan amenities, to the pressbox, to the overall appearance...inlcuding items added by UD just for game day, e.g., flags, signs, banners, etc.

(Complaining about the DPS logo at mid-field does not fit my description of "thoughtful" commentary.)

Maybe I'm getting old (no maybes about it!), but I don't recall a really thorough and balanced analysis of the type the football experts on this board are more than capable of providing.

Anyone willing to provide a summary...an update....now that eveything is in place?

Thank you.
There is VERY little on game day to make one think think that Welcome Stadium is the "home" of the Football Flyers. The "banners" are very small and look out of place as a result. I do seem to recall that slightly larger PFL flags made it up at one point, but still they are small, hard to read, and do very little if anything to make Welcome seem like a college football stadium. The facilities are obviously better, field, press box, new paint, etc., but there is no doubt that MUCH improvement could be made on game day for our Flyers! (Watch the Valentino highlight video. Much of it is from Welcome. Of course it is focused on Tino, but I recall at least one shot of the PFL banner. Sad IMHO. Look closely, do you see anything at all that would make you think the Flyers are playing at "home"?)
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Tino..

Thanks DF, I'd never seen Tino play.

Amazing!......as a QB he must drive opponents crazy. No defense for that.

As for the stadium....all the shots showed little more than the playing surface; so, no, I didn't see much more than the mid-field logo....and the empty seats.

Somewhere I saw attendance figures for each PFL school from 2000 to 2009. From about 2000 thru 2003 UD averaged about 6500, Then in one year the attendance dropped sharply and has been roughly 3750 since. No other school exhibited a trend like that, i.e., a sudden, sharp decline. What happened.

Even the bridge closing had little effect. In fact, from 2008 to 2009 attendance actually rose slightly, the opposite of what one would expect.

UD football has been very good over the entire period. What happened?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
General of the Air Force

I wonder if it could have something to do with being tougher against student drinking?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 PM

Drinking?

Interesting point Brian. But the sharp drop from an aveage of 6000-7000 in the 2000-2003 period to 3250-3750 from 2004-2009 is nearly 50%. That's a heck of a lot.

The attendance figures for all other PFL schools drifted up and down over the decade. But, UD's was noticeable because the decline occurred so suddenly,...from 6000-7000 or three straight years, then to an average of about 3500 for the next seven. The team has been very good throughout the period.

Was student attendance ~3000 some years ago? I have heard that it is now quite low. Surely the administration can do much more than it has to make football Saturdays an experience.

I can think of one sure-fire way to make things better.....take on DF as a volunteer consultant. No joke. I am certain that if the administration just listened to what he has to say there would be many changes for the better.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (04-10-2010)
Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Lieutenant General

Thumbs up James Vercammen, University of Dayton Football 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EKML...eature=related

Looks like another NFL audition video to me...!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
1st Lieutenant

chriscage will become famous soon enough
Football Attendance: A priority at UD?

Does anyone here know if building and marketing football attendance a real priority for the UD Athletic Department?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Yipes!

Chris, if marketing Flyer football was an athletics department priority....you'd know about it.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 AM
1st Lieutenant

Why not?

Any idea why?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Promoting football...

Chris, certainly, DF has far better insight than I as to why UD is not more aggressive promoting its excellent football program.

Maybe things will change a bit. With the recent acquistion of more NCR property UD now owns a large swath of land extending from the main campus up to and across the River. And now a jazzy new bridge connects UD property with the WS and the Sports Complex.

If UD is not now motivated to push interest in football a little harder, it never will be. A good starting point, in my opinion, would be to work at establishing a campus culture for football. For example, when the ~1700 freshmen arrive in late August they don't know a thing. The University could make a big deal about showing up for football games....."the thing to do". A Saturday afternoon party.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (04-13-2010)
Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Colonel

This-n-That

Today is Tuesday, spring practice Tuesday; but it is a special one. The Red & Blue teams (actually wear red & white unis) should be known for Sunday's game. Don't know how you folks wager or if you even keep track of things like this but...Tino has never lost a Spring Game at UD!

Now that the Red & Blue teams are decided, the Spring Game Program must be hours from going to the printer. Usually the upcoming season schedule is in it. So pick up a schedule at the game unless the DDN runs a story Friday or Saturday.

Seems to be less than normal press about PFL recruits(at least UD) this season. Kinda a return to 2007 and 2008. Last year the PFL League Internet Page had a partial list of Recruits posted on 3/02/2009. I follow the Scoutingohio.com site and kids are still getting offers from all Divisions but there sure are not many commits posted each day. Maybe commitments are slow everywhere.

Our annual discussion here of Dayton football attendence, marketing the team and making the game site a bit more "Flyer-full" has started. I've really toned down my energy here. Possibly because the the Dayton School Board, thanks to money from the State and from the Kettering Foundation, has done a good job with improvements so far. Oh, I hate the end zones but understand that whoever voted to approve all the wording on the field saw a blimps eye view of what it would look like, not a low angle view from a bleacher seat. The Board seems overly possesive of the name "Welcome". Anyway the facility that's leased is pretty good.

The University started out two seasons ago with some signage additions for game day. But you can go so far with the staff they have. An atmosphere befitting a winning college football team and the participation/attendence by the students is the most disappointing encounter for my first five years of association with the University. Kids' priorities of hanging out on the front porch or lawn when a game is going on wasn't that way, well, a long time ago. Maybe some day student attitudes will change and the pressure for other sports improvements will be caught up and football day will be even better for more.

Go Football Flyers
Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Attendance, atmosphere...

I was struck by the table showing PFL attendance by school from 2000 thru 2009. UD's 3500, or so, isn't bad. But during the first 3-4 years of the decade the attendance was ~6500. The drop-off was sharp....team performance has been consistent. There must be a reasonable explanation.

SDF suggested that it might have something to do with alcohol. Were games drunken orgies early in the decade....students like that? If attendance correlates with an alcohol ban....that's interesting....not much can be done about that. Students find enough excuses to drink.

As for atmosphere, I still remember my days as a grad student at Northwestern. Evanston is a town of ~50,000 with a nice, small downtown area with two main streets. On Friday afternoons of a football weekend flags of all the Big Ten schools were hung from the light poles....the way flags are put out for July 4th, for example. There they remained until Monday morning. There was a real atmosphere of a football weekend.

Now the Big Ten is not the PFL. But, football at Northwestern is no big deal either. Nonetheless, the atmosphere was there. Now that "own" the south end of Dayton I see no reason why Moses, Stewart, Brown could not reflect the atmosphere of a football weekend. Too bad UD doesn't have really good OOC rivals in football.....Xavier, Marquette, Detroit....all used to play football.

Football has always been a big deal at the Ivies...even they don't draw all that well,....10,000 is a big crowd at an Ivy game. Whatever, the Admimistration could do better.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Captain

4/13 Practice

Caught the last hour of practice last night. During that last half hour, the team was split for an OT scenario. Offense 1 was teamd with Defense 2, and vice versa. O1 faced D1 with the ball starting on the 25. On the first play, Tino began to scramble and was grabbed in the backfield. He shook off the tackle and began running free. Unfortunately (perhaps fotrunately for injury sake) the whistle blew to protect him from getting hit. In a real game, he would have juked one more guy and got into the end zone. In this scenario, the whistle was blown and he was sacked for a seven yard loss. Next play, a 7 - 8 yard quick out was thrown to Tyler Hujik. Third and long, Tino takes off again, hits the sideline and gets inside the 10 yard line. 2 plays later, TD (Hujik again, I think). XP is good.

O2 vs D2. #17 QB (last year number was held by Zachary Splain). Ended up getting into a 4th down situation from ~18 yard line. Game on the line. Cool and collected, fires a pass to the right corner of the end zone. WR (can't remember #) dives between 2 defenders for the TD. XP good.

OT continues with field goal attempts from the 20. Miller good. Sankovic good (actually appeared to miss wide-right, but coach wasn't ready for the practice to be over). Kicks matched 2 more times from the 20. Moved back to the 25. Both kicks good. Ball moved to left hash, Miller good, Sankovic wide right. OT over. O1/D2 wins.

Sunday's spring game should be interesting. The unfortunate thing is that we may not get to see the "real" Tino if there is a quick whistle. But the most important thing is that all leave the game healthy.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Colonel

More than a Spring Game

Sunday noon has so much going for it. The climax of first a winter of workouts and then a spring of practice sessions comes to an end with a fun game for the boys and a special t-shirt for the winners. The event will even be radio broadcast so I should be able to follow some action and activities.

Before the game the 2010 Captains will be introduced. At halftime, four graduating seniors from last season's team will receive their championship rings. Players in the game will get their ring after the game in the Donoher Center.

On the field after the game, they expect 25 of the 27 recruits to be at the game and meet their Big Brothers. We could probably expect a list of recruits on the website or in the DDN soon. And of course the schedule. That should be in the program and I'm waiting to plan my travel.

All in all, a lot happening for us to learn and we expect a Mitchell Report Sunday evening...don't you thnk?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
1st Lieutenant

Spring Game on radio?

Gramps,

Is the game on WHIO radio?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Colonel

Radio, yes

Originally Posted by chriscage View Post
Gramps,

Is the game on WHIO radio?
Larry will be on the radio and our head coach will be nearby (he gives the two teams to the staff to coach the game)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Colonel

Well...maybe only half a report

All in all, a lot happening for us to learn and we expect a Mitchell Report Sunday evening...don't you thnk?
Our son has a tee ball scrimmage at 1pm so he and I we be leaving the spring game around 12:30. I will be leaving my camera with j and our daughter so they can stay though the halftime presentation and then come to tee ball. Ironically, we signed up for teeball because the summer is our down time for UD sports, but so far we've had to miss the NIT/NCAA party for basketball and now the spring game. It was especially disappointing to miss the basketball party as we made it all the to NYC to watch them win, but we couldn't make it 20 minutes up the road to celebrate!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
It was especially disappointing to miss the basketball party as we made it all the to NYC to watch them win, but we couldn't make it 20 minutes up the road to celebrate!
Ok, that's it! Turn in your Flyer Faithful Membership Card. You're expelled!

Figgie
Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Look at the bright side....

Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Our son has a tee ball scrimmage at 1pm so he and I we be leaving the spring game around 12:30. I will be leaving my camera with j and our daughter so they can stay though the halftime presentation and then come to tee ball. Ironically, we signed up for teeball because the summer is our down time for UD sports, but so far we've had to miss the NIT/NCAA party for basketball and now the spring game. It was especially disappointing to miss the basketball party as we made it all the to NYC to watch them win, but we couldn't make it 20 minutes up the road to celebrate!
I will be missing the entire game due to family obligations in Pittsburgh.... Would it be bad form to listen to Larry and Rick in church during my niece's son's baptism?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
I will be missing the entire game due to family obligations in Pittsburgh.... Would it be bad form to listen to Larry and Rick in church during my niece's son's baptism?
Son or daughter = bad form...Niece or nephew makes it forgiveable. Plus UD being a Marianist Catholic university makes it ok.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (04-17-2010), UDBrian (04-18-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 PM
1st Lieutenant

Why not Red vs. BLUE?

It was great to hear Coach Chamberlin with Larry on WHIO for the Spring game broadcast.

Granted, this is trivia...but why is it the Red vs. White game, not Red vs BLUE?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Colonel

It was great to hear Coach Chamberlin with Larry on WHIO for the Spring game broadcast.

Granted, this is trivia...but why is it the Red vs. White game, not Red vs BLUE?

For 4 years now that I know they just wore the white unis and red.

Think they sold all the throw-back powder blue shirts to Detroit Flyer.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:02 PM

ND unis...

Surely I am not the only one that remembers what has to be the most peculiar epsidode in UD football uni history, i.e., the period in the `50s when UD was outfitted in navy blue and gold unis identical to Notre Dame's.....no red, no medium or light blue.....just very dark navy and gold.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Captain

Spring Game Thoughts

Watched 3 of the quarters of the game. As I thought might be the case, the quick whistles by the officials of QBs "in the grasp" did hurt the offense. I was impressed with Pechan today. He threw a few very nice balls. Good to see him back, didn't look like he had any trouble with his shoulder.

The Tino pass to Savisky was a thing of beauty. Tino scrammbled to the right and just aired it out. Savisky was running down the sideline and out-efforted the DB that was challenging him. The pass displayed how strong Tino's arm is and he placed it right where it needed to be. Savisky and Hujik both look to be strong wide receivers that will contribute this year.

A few guys not seeing the field were Watkins and Friedrich. Not sure what their status is, but both were wearing civies today.

There was not much on the ground today. Of course, much of our rushing comes from the QB position. Zapinski carried a few times, but did not have anything open up for him. I don't remember Mack playing, seems like he may have been on the sideline in civies as well. Washington, freshman, had the lone rushing TD from a non-QB today. Hopefully we can get a lot of good support out of the backfield.

Also, while I don't have the age to remember the blue and gold uniforms, I will say that the Athletic Department had game used red and white jerseys for sale at the game today. I don't know if they are planning a uniform change or if they were just trying to push old inventory. There were several jerseys that did not sell. I would imagine that the football office could let you know if they are still available for anyone interested. Price at the stadium was $25.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Pechan and Tino together...

Let's suppose that Pechan turns out to be a pretty good QB....what about the possibility of having he and Tino in the game together, with Pechan at QB and Tino as a receiver?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Let's suppose that Pechan turns out to be a pretty good QB....what about the possibility of having he and Tino in the game together, with Pechan at QB and Tino as a receiver?
It is my impression that Pechan is a very suitable backup. Two years ago when he got to play for Florian, he stepped in when needed and did a good job. At the Butler game two years ago, he had an incredible throwing and rushing game (i believe resulting in an offensive PoW). His worst game was against Morehead. The weather was terrible and he fumbled his first two snaps. Soon thereafter, Mr. Valentino came in and played for a majority of the rest of the game at QB.

As for seeing both play at the same time, it is certainly intriguing. But with the issues that we had at QB with injuries last year, I wonder how gun shy the coaching staff would be to put the # 1 and #2 QBs on the field at the same time.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Colonel

Good News & Questions

Gosh that game went fast, less than 1-1/2 hours.

What I enjoyed was hearing the names of recruits from a year or two ago. Charley Vassey (Chagrin Falls) had a tackle and Tyler Schutz (Mentor) a long snapper on punts caught a pass. Joe Janasek (Solon) had a couple tackles including a sack. Then like DetroitFlyer has said so many times, this staff will find a position where guys can help this team. And so it was that former TE Jordan Boykin (Crawfordsville, IN) caught a pass as a slot receiver (210#). We heard of WR Steve Wirkus (Brecksville)playing Safety and former Safety Robbie Sherk ( Oakwood High) playing WR.

After the first half, I expected to hear last years opening game QB's - Tim Fogarty & Jared Phillips - for the second half. Instead it was Zach Splain ( Brookeville, MD) & Corey Lisowski (Dover,OH), both Freshman. That's my question; how many QB's do we have? All will have to wait for an injured Tino in order to see much action. We found out how close a QB is to being out of play last season - one single play. So you need good backups and it looks like we may have 4 good ones - Jeff, Tim, Jared & Corey - and 2 more on the recruit list!

I heard of two new (2-year) coaching interns, Alex Bailey and Kevin McCoy. Likeable guy Patrick Henry has a coaching job at Ball State but he came back today for his ring. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back here some day.

Next week the boys get a personal interview with their coach, learn what to work on over summer and hit the books for finals. Some are graduating with their class on May 2nd.

Thanks Mitch for your report and the schedule, but didn't find out how the tee ballgame came out. You know, some of these footballers were good on a diamond too. One QB/shortstop made an unassisted triple play in Coach Pitch ball!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Colonel

Tee ball :)

Thanks Mitch for your report and the schedule, but didn't find out how the tee ballgame came out. You know, some of these footballers were good on a diamond too. One QB/shortstop made an unassisted triple play in Coach Pitch ball!
Please excuse the bad pun, but I'll "field" this one. Scrimmage started at 1pm, but we had to report to the field at 12:30 so sadly I missed the entire football game. Given the fact that more practices have been rained out than held I'd say the team did pretty good. Our boy is a head shorter than everyone on his team, but the other team had a kid playing catcher that I was sure was shorter than him. Alas, when my baby crossed home plate I could see that he was still, in fact, the shortest by inches. He hit three times and only made it on base once officially(they let them stay on even if they were out). All three hits were line drives to first base--we'll have to work on his aim.He grabbed two fast ground balls while playing third and threw them (almost) to home plate to get the outs. It was pretty much the funniest game ever, but opening day is next saturday and that will probably be even funnier!
Mad Props to smitch425 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (04-19-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Tball games can be a riot. My uncle said that his grandson was in the outfield during one game and decided he needed to go the bathroom and did it right during play. The women next to him asked who that kid was and my uncle said "I've never seen that kid before in my life"

Glad to hear he is hitting line drives though, you can work with that
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Colonel

Oh!! I forgot to tell you his number!!

We got his uniform after the scrimmage and he's...........................wait for it...............................#7
He is going to let 'Tino know that he shares his # next time we see him.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 AM
1st Lieutenant

Powder Blue Unis

For 4 years now that I know they just wore the white unis and red.

Think they sold all the throw-back powder blue shirts to Detroit Flyer.
Gramps, now that you mention it, those 60's era colonial blue unis could sure make a 250 lb linebacker look 175! (Kinda the reverse effect of the black UD b-bal unis.)

Yet somehow that same powder blue works fine for the Indy Colts (er---I mean Dayton Triangles!)
Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Captain

Timmy Fogarty

I noticed in the Spring Game program that Timmy Fogarty is not listed. I also do not recall seeing him at spring practice during the times that I visited (which doesn't mean that he wasn't there, just that I did not see him). I remember coach stating on the radio prior to spring practice that Timmy would be unable to practice because he would be recovering from surgery. I hope that his omission from the program is nothing more than his inability to be at practice. Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Just off the Jet

Flearn is on a distinguished road
Re: Tim Fogarty

I believe Tim transferred to Ball State. Pretty sure he is not playing football.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Lieutenant General

Kind of figured

that when I did not hear his name at the spring game, he was gone.... With Pechan coming back, I had a feeling that Timmy might move on.... I certainly wish him all the future success in the world. He was recruited by Big 10 programs before he was injured in high school. I'm not really sure why he did not seem to fit in to the Flyers offense....

I think we should be in good shape at QB. If Tino stays healthy, it is a no brainer. I will be curious to see how Jeff responds coming back from his injury. When healthy, he threw like Brett Farve. No kidding, tight spirals, and VERY fast. Our receivers seemed to struggle a bit with the ball coming to them at such a high velocity. With his size, if his arm strength comes back, I think he has NFL potential. Zach Splain is intriguing as well. If I remember correctly, he is from MD and ran a spread offense in high school.... I am REALLY interested in freshman recruit Will Bardo. At 6' 4" he is huge for a UD QB. It sounds like he is a great athlete as well. If so, he could be a special QB at UD and also have NFL potential.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Colonel

Smile City's Pride on the Welcome Field

Did you know that four boys from Solon (pronounced SO-lun) were on the field at this year's spring game? That's a lot for a place many don't know about. Solon High is one of the highest ranked academic schools in the state but without state sport titles, it doesn't have the same ring as some Cinci schools. Doesn't mean that Solon doesn't play "ball". They regularly have football & basketball teams advance in the playoffs. Swimming (boys & girls) and wrestling are always good and they have good hockey, track, cross country, soccer, golf, volleyball, gymnastics and now lacrosse. A huge and top-rated marching band every year!

Anyway, about the Spring Game. Most of us know about Steve Valentino. He has received awards that will be listed forever in the Media Guide but aside from that, even first viewers could tell he was a leader on this 2010 team.

On the radio I heard the name, Joe Janasek, a couple of times including a sack. He was a Solon linebacker and as a redshirt Freshman, will be J.J.'s backup at our Flyer Position and prominent on special teams.

After the game, Jake Voigt, Solon Comet QB was on the field to be presented to the team and his big brother. Jake starts his UD college career with football camp in August.

The fourth Comet was on the sidelines. Kevin McCoy, a short but powerful DB who lettered in 2006 and was awarded the A.J.Cohen Award (unsung hero), starts a coaching internship in the program this year.

A friend got into the weight room and noticed the 10 records posted on the wall. Gosh, seems that 2 are held by Solon Comets--McCoy holds the squat and Steve the shuttle. Guess it isn't too remote to move from Comet to Flyer!

Anyway, thought you should know of the pride of the followers of football from up north between Cleveland & Akron because that pride is shining in Dayton too.
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Charlie B (04-23-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 AM
1st Lieutenant

Red vs. White OR Red vs. Blue?

Now for some important football analysis...

Seems that we are just a bit more literal at UD than are the folks in South Bend...

A local newspaper ran color pics of the recent Notre Dame "Blue vs. Gold" spring football game. But...guess what? There's not a gold jersey anywhere! Technically, their spring game is "Blue vs White".

Since UD fans bleed red and blue, shouldn't our spring game really be the Red vs. Blue game?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Colonel

Red, White & Blue

Hey chris, the Spring Game punters wore blue!

You can see again because Paul Studt posted his photos today.

http://www.sportsbypaul.com/u.d.football.php

Looks like Tino has a 6'4" "Little Brother" from Kentucky???
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (04-27-2010), UACFlyer (04-27-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Nice

Hey chris, the Spring Game punters wore blue!

You can see again because Paul Studt posted his photos today.

http://www.sportsbypaul.com/u.d.football.php

Looks like Tino has a 6'4" "Little Brother" from Kentucky???

I am really excited about Tino's "little" brother. Great idea to pair up these two players! If "little brother" can play even 75% like Tino, with his size, he could be an amazing player at UD....
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 AM
1st Lieutenant

Coach Speaks to Flyers Club

Did anyone attend the Flyers Club Wednesday night (4/28)? Coach Chamberlin was slated to talk.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Colonel

You must not know this, but

Did anyone attend the Flyers Club Wednesday night (4/28)? Coach Chamberlin was slated to talk.
what happens at Flyers Club stays at Flyers Club
Old 04-29-2010, 09:16 AM

Elaborate, kindly...

Smitch, are you implying that UD coaches, officials, etc., feel comfortable discussing sensitive or otherwise off-the-record topics at Flyers Club gatherings...confident that what they say will remain confidential?

Considering human nature, i.e., the fact that people naturally like to talk about what they know,....that seems like a stretch. Or were you kidding?

Just asking.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Colonel

Just what I was told...it's the only rule

I have only been able to attend a couple meetings due to the late start time and having small children, but at the meetings I have attended I can tell you that anyone in attendance has the opportunity to ask the speaker about pretty much anything they want and recieve an answer. J attended last night's meeting and I didn't really ask him about it. I can tell you that he brought home a handout listing info about all the new players which I have not read. I have no doubt that some things get repeated, but I sure wouldn't put it in print on a message board...you never know...they could revoke one's membership.