UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Basket? FTs? No basket? No FTs?
Pollard's basket counts, Pierre shoot the FT's, WAM ball under the basket 3 12.00%
No basket, reset clock, Pierre shoots 1-and-1 3 12.00%
Basket counts, no FTs since it's not correctable, WAM ball 18 72.00%
No basket, do not reset clock, Pierre shoots 1-and-1 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
YMtC - FT, FG and correctable errors

Global warming has encapsulated the universe and the city of Dayton is the epicenter of the snowy destruction. It's mid-December and there's 12" of snow on the ground with another 12" expected overnight. Al Gore has been snowed-in at the latest Global Warming Conference in Oslo and the glaciers are advancing southward at rates not seen since the last Ice Age.

Fortunately for UD basketball fans the game scheduled against Wyoming A&M (WAM) is a go as their plane landed 2 days early in anticipation of the 'Warming'. Unfortunately for Dayton fans, the snow has prevented the assigned refs from making the trip so the PA announcer pleads for volunteer officials from the 13,426 undeterred in attendance...and to nobody's surprise, 3 volunteers - N2663R, Figgie and Clayton - put on the stripes and put their knowledge of the Rules to the test.

With 3:33 remaining in the somewhat smoothly officiated game and the Flyers up 64-57, Dyshawn Pierre is fouled on a rebound...WAM's 7th team foul. Once again, the scorekeeper fails to inform the officials of the '1-and-1' situation so Figgie hands the ball to Scoochie for the throw-in.

Scoochie throws the ball to Pierre who drives the lane and tosses up running one-hander that hits off the back of the rim and bounces outward when out of nowhere, my man Kendall Pollard comes flying in from the baseline, grabs the ball with both hands and slams the ball back thru the basket for a 66-57 lead!

At that time and before the ball is inbounded, the WAM coach jumps to his feet and asks the scorekeeper to buzz the refs so they can huddle and discuss the missed 1-and-1 call from a few seconds earlier. As requested, Figgie, Clayton and N2663R come to the table, meet with both coaches and the scorekeeper and realize that UD should have shot the free throws and now have decision to make. As they frantically look for King Rollo in the stands for advice, all eyes are on them to make the right call...

...after a 5-minute delay, a shaky Clayton points to UD's bench and the scorekeeper and, well, YOU make the call!

Last edited by rollo; 05-25-2015 at 10:43 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (05-26-2015)
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
This seems like such an easy answer... And therefore incorrect, but I went with my gut instinct on this one. Just call a mulligan and start from the Free Throws. No Harm, No...er
Old 05-25-2015, 12:51 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
I guessed C
Old 05-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
I say C . I don't think you can take the points off the board. What if Pollard's slam was the final second of the game? What if there were two or three plays, and points scored, when the error was discovered? Slippery slope into a big can of worms. (Yuck)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
493 hits and only 16 votes?

C'mon people...grow a pair and pull the trigger!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I have to thank this one just for the entertaining setup.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I have to thank this one just for the entertaining setup.
Sounds like you want to ref next week's game, huh? If the global warming continues to bury the planet in snow, your services may be needed...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:14 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
493 hits and only 16 votes?

C'mon people...grow a pair and pull the trigger!
I clicked on the thread 475 times. I wonder who the 3 are that clicked on the thread but did not vote?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:20 AM

Looks like sm*rtass #2 has a job next week, too.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like sm*rtass #2 has a job next week, too.
So I guess I am a Royal pain in the a$$.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 12:06 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
... Unfortunately for Dayton fans, the snow has prevented the assigned refs from making the trip so the PA announcer pleads for volunteer officials from the 13,426 undeterred in attendance...and to nobody's surprise, 3 volunteers - N2663R, Figgie and Clayton - put on the stripes and put their knowledge of the Rules to the test.
I'm still waiting for my paycheck!
Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 PM

so the PA announcer pleads for volunteer officials
And you'll keep waiting...
Figgie123 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 AM

2 hours left to vote...closes at 10:32.

Man-up!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 AM

3 out of 25 voters got this right...here's the Ruling!

The field goal by Pollard counts and the Ft's awarded as the error is correctable since it happened within the prescribed time limit of Rule 2-12. Dayton shoots the 1-and-1 free throw(s) alone at their end of the court after which play is resumed with a throw-in by WAM, who is entitled to run the end line. (Rule 2-12.1.a, 2-12.5 and 2-12.2)

Rule 2-12, edited to apply to this YMtC, is as follows:

Section 12. Correctable Errors
Art. 1.
The correctable errors are as follows:

a. Failing to award a merited free throw.

Art. 2.
When the officials’ error is made while the game clock is stopped (in this YMtC, the error was made while reporting the foul at which time the clock is stopped), such errors must be recognized and corrected by an official during the first dead ball after the game clock has been started properly (in this case, the first dead ball occurred after Pollard's follow-up dunk)
FWIW, had the ball been inbounded by WAM after the dunk, the FT's are no longer 'correctable' because the ball has gone live after being 'dead' and it's now too late.
See ya next week when CE80, Gazoo and a yet to be identified ref - thanks to global warming - get put on the man-made hot seat...

Last edited by rollo; 05-27-2015 at 11:05 AM..
Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, due to the snowstorm I was not in my seat to hear the PA announcers request. But just off the top of my head, I'd say "B". I think it is correctable since play was stopped prior to WAM taking possession of the ball and the clock can be reset.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM
General of the Air Force

3 out of 25 voters got this right...here's the Ruling!

The field goal by Pollard counts and the Ft's awarded as the error is correctable since it happened within the prescribed time limit of Rule 2-12. Dayton shoots the 1-and-1 free throw(s) alone at their end of the court after which play is resumed with a throw-in by WAM, who is entitled to run the end line. (Rule 2-12.1.a, 2-12.5 and 2-12.2)

Rule 2-12, edited to apply to this YMtC, is as follows:

Section 12. Correctable Errors
Art. 1.
The correctable errors are as follows:

a. Failing to award a merited free throw.

Art. 2.
When the officials’ error is made while the game clock is stopped (in this YMtC, the error was made while reporting the foul at which time the clock is stopped), such errors must be recognized and corrected by an official during the first dead ball after the game clock has been started properly (in this case, the first dead ball occurred after Pollard's follow-up dunk)
FWIW, had the ball been inbounded by WAM after the dunk, the FT's are no longer 'correctable' because the ball has gone live after being 'dead' and it's now too late.
See ya next week when CE80, Gazoo and a yet to be identified ref - thanks to global warming - get put on the man-made hot seat...

That just seems blatantly unfair. UD was in essence given an extra possession.

When I ref, I will be using my own rulebook.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
That just seems blatantly unfair. UD was in essence given an extra possession.

When I ref, I will be using my own rulebook.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:31 PM
General of the Air Force

I said BLATANTLY unfair not BRITNEYLY unfair.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
WAM totally got homered. A forest in the wind river range of Wyoming will be scorched to the earth in a violent protest. Only 10 people will witness the event, since Wyoming is so sparsely populated.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I said BLATANTLY unfair not BRITNEYLY unfair.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
That really does seem totally unfair. UD got a free possession.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:36 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
What if the next dead ball was the final buzzer and UD was down 1 and made both free-throws? Is there a different scenario for end-of-the-game situations?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by cj View Post
What if the next dead ball was the final buzzer and UD was down 1 and made both free-throws? Is there a different scenario for end-of-the-game situations?
Rule 2.6.9 assigns the duty of approving the final score to the referee...if the official approves the score after the final buzzer, the game is over. In your case, we can assume he didn't OK the final score because he allowed - using the correctable error clause - UD the 2 game winning FT's.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:41 PM
General of the Air Force

This ruling just did not sit well with me plus I relished the opportunity to catch Rollo in a mistake, so I went looking for a ruling more to my liking but did not find it. I did find this in a 2013 NCAA Case Book. Not exactly the same situation but close enough. The WAM coach should have kept quiet, knowing that he was potentially hurting his own team by putting a Flyer on the line because the made basket was going to count.

A.R. 21. After the bonus is in effect, B1 is penalized for holding A1. A1
erroneously is not awarded a free throw. A1 is awarded the ball out
of bounds and completes the throw-in to A2. The coach of Team
A notifies the official scorer that the coach wants to meet with the
official concerning a correctable error. When Team A scores a field
goal, the official scorer sounds the game-clock horn and advises the
official of the coach’s request for the conference. The official recognizes
the correctable error after talking with the coach and official
scorer.
RULING: The field goal by Team A shall count. This error is correctable
because it happened within the prescribed time limit of Rule 2-12.
A1 shall be awarded his or her merited free throw(s) and play shall be
resumed with a throw-in by Team B, who is entitled to run the end line.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
That really does seem totally unfair. UD got a free possession.
Only in hindsight...

But this is a great scenario because here you have a coach trying to out-smart the system by not immediately asking for the 1-and-1 hoping for a defensive stop instead...and when he doesn't get it, asks for a re-do that he not only gets, but that hurts his team.

It helps to know the rules. And plenty of coaches at all levels don't...as well as their fans.