Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Captain

UDan71 will become famous soon enoughUDan71 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Don't Leave, BG !!

I've watched the drama unfold the past several days as closely as anyone and have been somewhat glued to UDPride and the DDN website to see what happens.

Frankly, I'm not sure what I want to have happen re: BG and UD. On one hand, I admire and respect BG greatly and think he's a fantastic representative for the school (my alma mater). He has definitely raised expectations and the excitement around the program. But his tactics often seem to raise questions and his track record, while decent, isn't what he or we are looking for. I'm only a long-time (and long-suffering) fan going back to my first game on TV in 1957. I know nothing of the technicalities of basketball. I'm just a fan (and now an official blue-hair who pays seat licenses and resides in the lower arena).

But it occurred to me this morning that all I've been reading the past three days are mostly comments from those wanting him to leave and those, like myself who aren't sure what's best. Only a few, it seems, have been outright supporters of BG staying. For all the effort, blood, sweat, and tears that the coach and his staff have put into the past 8 years (and the heartaches that have come with it), I think he's earned a it more respect and appreciation than that.

So, I've decided to start a "Don't go, BG" thread for all those who want the man to stay. If he's currently secluded with his family, trying to decide whether to stay or go, I think he should be able to come to this website and see at least one thread that supports him and his efforts. I invite all BG supporters to add their voice to this thread as a show of support.

As for me, I still would prefer that BG stay if he's open to getting an offensive-minded assistant who could really improve our ability to score. If it's gonna be status quo another year, then maybe new blood is needed. Whatever BG decides, God Bless him and his family and thanks for all his tireless efforts for the U.

Out.
21 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDan71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-27-2011), bobber (03-27-2011), Buick-Flyer (03-27-2011), Flyer 86 (03-27-2011), Flyer2 (03-27-2011), Flyer_Tom (03-27-2011), GoFlyer (03-27-2011), IAFlyer (03-27-2011), JimBo (03-27-2011), lhsgolf19 (03-28-2011), MD Flyer Pride (03-27-2011), MrFlyerFanatic (03-27-2011), Nanaflyer (03-27-2011), P-Lotter (03-28-2011), skip69 (03-28-2011), T-Bone 84 (03-27-2011), The Wright Stuff (03-28-2011), THirt (03-27-2011), UD Sam (03-27-2011), UD93 Steve (03-27-2011), walkon (03-27-2011)
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
For the record I want the man to stay. I beleive that after this season and what has happened that BG will have a renewed vigor to move this program forward. He has to realize that to be flexible with some of his coaching will make for a better result.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Tony T 71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Marysville Flyer (03-27-2011), Nanaflyer (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I hope bg stays and accomplishes what he wants to accomplish here.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Al (03-27-2011), John R (03-27-2011), lhsgolf19 (03-28-2011), Nanaflyer (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting thread.

Personally, I believe that BG is a smart coach and he does not get enough credit for his successes. When he wins, those opposed are lightning quick to discount them.

On the other hand, his record in the A10 the last 2 years has been extremely, extremely, extremely frustrating. His A10 record is the HUGE black mark on his resume.

I like the character, support of our community, support of the university and support of the athletes. The recent Norman Plummer story is a great example. One person in the administration said BG gave Norman many MORE chances than he deserves. Maybe that is a BG weakness. Did he put up with too much with JS and BS?

Today's sports fans don't care about that. It is what have you done lately? Win at all costs. Anything else is mediocre, inexcusable, incompetent. Getting to the NCAA and winning a game two years ago, and making the NIT last two years is "Bengalized" and mediocre. In reality, that is good, but not great. The A10 record the record for the last three years 11-5, 8-8 and 7-9 is not impressive at all. (especially give the talent).

On the other side, I am dismayed at the last two St. Louis games at the arena. Two different Dayton teams were blown away by St. Louis. I don't like the way Jim Barron has BG's number.

If BG could improve the following, I would be elated:
- Greater success against certain coaches in the A10
- Recruit better basketball players. I saw a comment by an X fan elsewhere that said BG recruits athletes and tries to turn them into basketball players, while X recruits great basketball players and great athletes. That is probably only going to come by winning more.
- More emphasis on motion away from the ball on offense. Too much dribble drive, point guard oriented for me. (Full Disclosure, I played the 4,5 spots mostly in basketball, so I have a bias)
- More emphasis on the inside men in his offense. Their role seems to most be high pick setters and offensive rebounders. (See Full disclosure above)
- A defense that takes into consideration that the A10 is a guard oriented 3 point shooting league. Every team has a guard who can shoot a lights out three ball and is a candidate for A10 player of the year.
- Variety. I would like to see a zone a little more often just to throw the other teams off balance. Mid Major teams need variety and off balance to win. BCS teams just over power you with what they have. Butler shows that variety.

So I might be hijacking this thread by trying to write a middle of the road point of view.
BG still has the potential to be a GREAT coach. He also has the potential to continue as a so-so coach when it comes to A10 play. Each of those scenarios could happen at Dayton or elsewhere.

For those of you who believe that their is no hope for BG to change, look up Bill Belichick. Cleveland/Baltimore fans could not wait to get him fired. Somehow, he got smarter at one point.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer_Tom (03-27-2011), jpk4ud (03-27-2011), THirt (03-27-2011), tirebiter (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

ihflyer is infamous around these partsihflyer is infamous around these partsihflyer is infamous around these parts
How can anyone be happy with the direction of this program and wanting BG to stay. We have had a good enough Sample of his program. Dont reward effort with accommplishments

1.)One NCAA appereance with his
Team
2.) Just over 500 record in A-10 play with na winning pct closer to Fordham than X over his tenue
3.)An offense that he runs without the talent to make it work
4.) Being perhaps the 6th best coach. in the A-10-go down the list and tell me who who would rther have at UD and he is way down
5.) Good to beat X 1 out of 3 games-
6.)One A-10 Tourney Championship game with his team

If these on Court accomplishments are what you want for my University than BG is your man.

I know I will get heat as I dont agree with you. I am NOT a troll and Not a BG hater. He is just not the Coach to take us to the next level.

Proudly
-a 1986 UD grad
-a 21 year Season Ticket holder- talk to me next yer Section 309 Row B
- a UD die hard that is looking for the next level that the current coach cant take us too
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ihflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyers/avs (03-27-2011), ndflyer (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Captain

UDan71 will become famous soon enoughUDan71 will become famous soon enough
Angry Stay on task!

This thread is not for those interested in debating the merits of BG as a coach and whether he should stay or not.

This thread was initiated to be one where supporters of BG can go to register their support.

Those interested in debating his merits can find plenty of other threads on this site in which to register your comments.

PLEASE DON"T HIJACK THIS THREAD!
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDan71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-27-2011), bobber (03-27-2011), FlyingArrow (03-27-2011), GoFlyer (03-27-2011), John R (03-27-2011), Nanaflyer (03-27-2011), THirt (03-27-2011), Tony T 71 (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM
2nd Lieutenant

NaptownFlyer4 is on a distinguished road
if u want to participate in a "don't Leave Dayton BG" thread you just have to head on over to any of the other A10 team's message boards. or the message boards of any of the teams rumored to be interested in him.

that right there should tell u all u need to know about him as a coach. when ur opponents want him to stay, its time for him to go
Mad Props to NaptownFlyer4 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyers/avs (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I like that he turns out great individuals, whether or not they are great basketball players. Rather not have punks who win, but rip water fountains off the wall when they lose.

Still think this year they could have won maybe 4-5 more games if someone could have followed directions, and then he'd look like a genious.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 PM

ndflyer is infamous around these parts
they could have won 4-5 more games if he changed game plans too
Mad Props to ndflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyers/avs (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Thanked 1,170 Times in 508 Posts
MD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond repute
Well said UDan71! After having to deal with the Staten nightmare this year, I am anxious to see BG come back with a renewed vigor, renewed strategies and a renewed TEAM that will allow him to prove himself.

Go Flyers!
Mad Props to MD Flyer Pride For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
What is wrong with you people? There are 25 other active threads where you can post negative comments. This is is one thread where the OP has specifically asked (nicely, I might add) to not hijack.

I think BG is a great guy, a good coach, and an excellent fit for our school, our program. We have not had the success that a lot of us would like to see, and there are a number of different reasons why. I still like watching the Flyers play, I love the effort we play with, I like to see the hard work pay off, and that is a credit to the head coach and his staff.

I still think BG can take us where we'd all like to be, but he isn't cutting corners, and to some of us, that is important (I'm 35, a 1997 grad, so not exactly a blue hair - more of a not-much-hair at this point). I like what I read about our two incoming freshman, and I was glad that we didn't give Jesse Berry another chance. I'm glad if there are players that think they are bigger than the team, they are shown the door. I'm an optimist by nature (join us, we live longer than you pessimists!) and I understand that not all is well in Flyer-land. I'm quite certain BG and Wabler and Curran and everyone else in the program was disappointed with last year's results, but they are all working hard to make this program successful.

BG is stubborn, yes, and he could probably do some things different. I still think we have not had the right mix of players to maximize success in his system (except for Wright's freshman year, when the injuries caused the wheels to fall off). Stubbornness is sometimes a positive, though.

"What if" doesn't win you any games, but I think we can all agree that we'd have been a better team with Jacob Pullen than Steven Thomas (who became a year of Josh Parker sitting out and then one year of Parker playing).

I still think the program is moving in the right direction, doing it the right way, and that is a credit to the head coach.
13 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
anthonycharles (03-27-2011), Flyer Dave (03-27-2011), FlyingArrow (03-27-2011), John R (03-27-2011), longtimefan (03-27-2011), Nanaflyer (03-27-2011), rollo (03-27-2011), skip69 (03-28-2011), smitch425 (03-27-2011), Tony T 71 (03-27-2011), UD Sam (03-27-2011), UD93 Steve (03-27-2011), UDGutter2 (03-28-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ihflyer View Post
How can anyone be happy with the direction of this program and wanting BG to stay. We have had a good enough Sample of his program. Dont reward effort with accommplishments

1.)One NCAA appereance with his
Team
2.) Just over 500 record in A-10 play with na winning pct closer to Fordham than X over his tenue
3.)An offense that he runs without the talent to make it work
4.) Being perhaps the 6th best coach. in the A-10-go down the list and tell me who who would rther have at UD and he is way down
5.) Good to beat X 1 out of 3 games-
6.)One A-10 Tourney Championship game with his team

If these on Court accomplishments are what you want for my University than BG is your man.

I know I will get heat as I dont agree with you. I am NOT a troll and Not a BG hater. He is just not the Coach to take us to the next level.

Proudly
-a 1986 UD grad
-a 21 year Season Ticket holder- talk to me next yer Section 309 Row B
- a UD die hard that is looking for the next level that the current coach cant take us too
Proudly a person who can't read the thread title and is so full of his own opinion that he has to keep spreading the hate!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (03-27-2011), John R (03-27-2011), MrFlyerFanatic (03-27-2011), Nanaflyer (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
As I've already stated: I unequivocally want BG to stay. I cannot state it clearly and strongly enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-27-2011), John R (03-27-2011), MrFlyerFanatic (03-27-2011), smitch425 (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 PM
2nd Lieutenant

GregKohlsFan will become famous soon enoughGregKohlsFan will become famous soon enough
We love you BG!!! Please don't leave!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
BG - I would like you to stay, I thank you for the contribution you have made to our progress. I am a 25 year season ticket holder and a 50 year fan and you have made great strides in bringing our program up.

I take great pleasure in seeing our players come in as kids and leave as men, proud of their years in UD and proud of the Dayton community. I have enjoyed our highs and have suffered with you on the lows. You are the right person for us now, and I hope you stay. I am sure this past year has been difficult, but it is the difficult times that makes all of us what we grow to, and I have the utmost faith in you and your ability to continue the successful path we have been on.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to GoFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-27-2011), John R (03-27-2011), MD Flyer Pride (03-27-2011), Nanaflyer (03-27-2011), skip69 (03-28-2011), THirt (03-27-2011), UD Sam (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 02:56 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

I hope BG stays - first to anger his critics, then to silence them.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-27-2011), John R (03-27-2011), skip69 (03-28-2011), THirt (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
I hope BG stays - first to anger his critics, then to silence them.
The only way he'll silence the critics is to start winning A10 championships....regular- or post-season.

On a side note, I've decided to give BG a pass on the 2010-11 season. Now that all the dirty laundry has been aired I honestly believe the biggest problem we/he had was his point guard, not his schemes...although they obviously need tweeking.

Next season will say alot about what type of coach he has become and what he learned based on 2011.
AC91 (03-27-2011), Avid Flyer (03-27-2011), IAFlyer (03-27-2011), longtimefan (03-27-2011), SeasonTicketFan (03-27-2011), T-Bone 84 (03-27-2011), THirt (03-27-2011), Tony T 71 (03-27-2011), UD Sam (03-27-2011), vfly (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
I'm sure there are some out there would still be critical no matter what BG and the team would do.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
My gut feel is that BG wants one more year to show that this year was a fluke, and if successful, then move on when he is on top.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
The only way he'll silence the critics is to start winning A10 championships....regular- or post-season.

On a side note, I've decided to give BG a pass on the 2010-11 season. Now that all the dirty laundry has been aired I honestly believe the biggest problem we/he had was his point guard, not his schemes...although they obviously need tweeking.

Next season will say alot about what type of coach he has become and what he learned based on 2011.
I agree with Rollo's comments. Winning a championship makes a difference (no matter who the coach is). BG was very close to quieting critics this year in the A10 tournament.

I think lack of chemistry is almost impossible to overcome w/o removing conflicting members (regardless of who is right or wrong sometimes). It is almost impossible to overcome. The chemistry between CW and JS was awful. I saw very few lob dunk passes from JS to CW, yet I saw a lot from London and Rob last year. They were looking for Chris. It seemed as if JS did not. At first, I thought was freshmen inexperience.

I also believe that behind the scenes there is pressure on BG to improve A10 performance. I had no inside knowledge, but I strongly suspect.

I respect the fans who want A10 championships and NCAA appearances. No less is very mediocre in their eyes. Dayton should be more competitive in the D1 college basketball. I also think a lot of fans underestimate how hard of a task that is.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD Sam (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John R View Post
I'm sure there are some out there would still be critical no matter what BG and the team would do.
John: I am sure there is no one on this board who wouldn't cut BG all the breaks in the world. Many of the board chatters are simply frustrated with his coaching style...certain things have not been working. With some changes, I think we would all be behind him. It's not a personal thing at all...it's all about outcome.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
John: I am sure there is no one on this board who wouldn't cut BG all the breaks in the world. Many of the board chatters are simply frustrated with his coaching style...certain things have not been working. With some changes, I think we would all be behind him. It's not a personal thing at all...it's all about outcome.
I sure hope you are right however reading some of the posts I'm not convinced you are right.

Lets hope BG changes and silence all the negative posters and proves you right

Go Flyers!!!

Go BG!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Captain

UD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to all
I am proud to have BG as the coach of my Flyers! I'd go into battle with him any day.

I think there is a very small chance that if he leaves we get a better all around coach. Would take some luck.

I truly think the best is yet to come in the BG era.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD93 Steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-27-2011), John R (03-27-2011), smitch425 (03-27-2011), UD Sam (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,171 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this, but not only because of the dirty laundry that was uncovered this week. The argument over CW's development has been constantly bantered about, but is it possible that (in some way) BG was trying to work on CW's development but the offense didn't work in that way, so that now we don't have CW to try to develop, and without JS to develop, we have a 'team' of players, rather than a few 'proteges' and some helping cast members.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-27-2011), UD Sam (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
1st Lieutenant

cintibUD is a jewel in the roughcintibUD is a jewel in the roughcintibUD is a jewel in the roughcintibUD is a jewel in the rough

Co sign on this point.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
On a side note, I've decided to give BG a pass on the 2010-11 season.
Is rollo turning into a Teddy Bear?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 AM
Captain

skip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really nice
Cool BG is a great fit for UD and Dayton - as long as he wants to be

I think BG is great for UD. If you consider all elements, he has been a success - and strongly believes in our BB history and fan support. If he stays, I believe the A10 wins and post season tourneys will follow (if he and the players are positively supported instead of the garbage many post on this board).

If he does leave, I doubt we will attract anyone as good as he is. The program will falter and the new coach(es) will take years (if at all) to get us back on track ... but still not to the "next level" as many naive "experts" believe is where we belong.

Like another poster says, "the best is yet to come". But as another poster alluded to, "I doubt if anything will satisfy many on this board". So, those of you who get what you want (BG leaving), will grow quickly disenchanted when his successor is not getting us "to the next level" !!! OP didn't satisfy you either since he couldn't get us to "the next level".

I remember years ago when we were AT the next level, now I doubt if anyone can truly get us there! Too long ago; too much competition; too many UD critics who negatively affect the program by slamming coaches, PLAYERS (how sad), and the administration. It has taken us many years to recover form the O'Brien fiasco, but many of you unrealistically want "the next level" NOW.

If BG now decides he no longer wants to be here, I wish him and his family great success.

Fan - 57 years
Season ticket holder - 38 years
UD grad

Not an expert - and don't expect to be (or want to be, like many "experts" on this board).

Last edited by skip69; 03-28-2011 at 04:10 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to skip69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-28-2011), NovaFlyer (03-28-2011), THirt (03-28-2011), UDGutter2 (03-28-2011)
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
good lord.....
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-08-2015), flyerfanatic86 (05-06-2015), FlyerinChicago (05-06-2015), Hyde Park Flyer (05-06-2015), rollo (05-06-2015), shocka43 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Why in the he11 would someone take the time to dredge up a four year old thread just to make some kind of a stupid point (that has been made countless times before). And then some people actually give him thanks. Unbelievable.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:02 PM

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Why in the he11 would someone take the time to dredge up a four year old thread just to make some kind of a stupid point (that has been made countless times before). And then some people actually give him thanks. Unbelievable.
Offseason...have a laugh and reflect. Pretty happy that UD is where it is at and AM was able to take the good direction that BG went and make it even better so far. All is well in Flyerland.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (05-07-2015), Buster Goode (05-06-2015), FlyerinChicago (05-06-2015), Gazoo (05-06-2015), Justin (05-06-2015), rollo (05-06-2015), San Diego Flyer (05-06-2015), UDEE79 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Major General

Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Shocka, as always, hits the nail on the head. With all the discussion of Archie and if he will flee, I just wanted to peak back at the mindsets 4 years ago when Gregory was on his way out. Shocking to see where we were and where we are today with Archie.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Our last two hires have replaced a coach that had done more than the previous coach but had also probably done as much as they were going to do in moving the program along in a forward progression

Hopefully if Archie ever decides to move on, it wil be when that point has been reached
Old 05-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
John Freakin' R.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant General

NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
John Freakin' R.
I miss him too - he was 100% correct with that comment!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
thank god he left
Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
Our last two hires have replaced a coach that had done more than the previous coach but had also probably done as much as they were going to do in moving the program along in a forward progression

Hopefully if Archie ever decides to move on, it wil be when that point has been reached
Well, with AM that time would be after a National Championship.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:54 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
thank god he left
Who? John R or BG? Or both?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (05-07-2015), Gazoo (05-07-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
thank god he left
OP wasn't bad - he just was never going to win a NCAA tournament game (unlike BG and AM)
Old 05-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Captain

FSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really nice
How so many people loved that .500 in A-10 play coach that couldn't win on the road is beyond me. Miller's done more in 4 years than Gregory would've done in 40.
Mad Props to FSUFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by FSUFlyer View Post
How so many people loved that .500 in A-10 play coach that couldn't win on the road is beyond me. Miller's done more in 4 years than Gregory would've done in 40.
A lot of credit goes to the last 2 hires
BG did what OP couldn't (win in the post season)
AM has done what BG couldn't (back-back NCAA with multiple wins)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,431 Times in 681 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like this was one BG thread I missed out on. Oh well, I don't get to look brilliant here but I also missed out on the Archie thread after the bad start last season. So I suppose it evens out.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,085 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post

I feel the same way. OP I believe never has won a NCAA game for Clemson and at DePaul ... well didn't happen there either. BUT he started the rise of the U from the depths it was in.

BG although successful here in some ways began to wear on me before the last year ... The NIT win was great, yet unsatisfying at the same level as in "I wonder what we Could have done?" had we been better in the regular season. BG never seemed to change the game plans. Seems everyone knew what he was going to do. Lather,Rinse,Repeat is not a mantra that you want over the years.

However, BG did elevate the U one more step from OP. I think the greatest game was that first NCAA game against Huggy. That 1 game was better to me than the NIT wins (although they were good to have under our belt).

Archie, well we all know what has been so far a great ride and a decidedly huge step up for the U.

The very positive take away here is that I believe Archie isn't done with elevating this program. OP had his chance and lifted it, he did, but only so high, BG lifted it a little higher but it was pretty much as high as it was going to be .... all in all a good progression!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM
General

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
It's kind of like the CEO who was voted "worst CEO of the year" and then shortly thereafter "best CEO of the year". In his words, he was neither.

OP was not terrible and would have won an NCAA game if he was committed to UD. He wasn't.

BG would have continued to have success in fits and starts. But we could do better. He wasn't the best, he wasn't the worst.

AM has had a few lucky bounces, and a few very unlucky bounces he overcame. In the end the difference between a second consecutive year with NCAA wins vs none at all is a very fine line. "Wafer thin" (with a French accent). I don't think AM is the best coach in the country (yet), but he's clearly not the worst either.

Jim O'Brien. . . OK he WAS the worst coach in the country.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Major General

To the poster who red-pip'd me stating "please go away":

No.