Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Battle for Atlantis - UD Meetups

Are there any meetups / events for UD fans scheduled for the week of the 19th in the Bahamas?
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Just off the Jet

Weepis
Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
Are there any meetups / events for UD fans scheduled for the week of the 19th in the Bahamas?
My wife got this reply to the same question from the university:

Pregame Meetup

Wednesday, Nov. 21
4:30 - 6:30 p.m. (7 p.m. tipoff - UD vs. Butler)
Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville (located in the Ferry Terminal Building)

Flyer fans, if you are heading to the tournament to cheer on the Men’s basketball team, make sure to meetup with fellow Flyers at Margaritaville. We will meet two hours prior to each UD game. Food and beverages are pay-as-you go and space is available based on first-come, first-served.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Major

LebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of light
For anyone here at the Atlantis:

You need to bring your Day 1 tickets back to the ticketing area starting NOW for Game 2 seats. It’s first come, first serve. You will NOT have the same seats as Game 1.

Happy Thanksgiving Flyer Faithful
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
I wanted to say a BIG thanks to all the flyer fanatics currently in the Bahamas. I heard Larry Hansgen say UD had the most Atlantis ticket sales and Atlantis this year had the best year ever in attendance (or one of the best).

I don't take it for granted that the reason why UD gets to play ACC, Big10, SEC teams each year is because ... UD gets invited to the ESPN exempt tournaments each year.

Why does UD get invited to these ESPN exempt tournaments each year? Because UD "travels well". Money talks ... when behind the scenes ... the teams are selected for the tourneys.

Thanks to all the UD fans that go to those holiday tourneys!!! Keep it up. See you in Maui next year with another awesome line up of attendees (Chaminade, BYU, Dayton, Georgia, Kansas, Michigan State, UCLA, Virginia Tech)

Thanks for supporting UD. We get to play teams that don't want to play us.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to marco red eagle For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-23-2018), FIFO28 (11-27-2018), NYCFLYER (11-23-2018), shocka43 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
Last night on the Coaches show ....

Coach AG said ... on the Flyer Faithful showing up at the exempt tourneys all around the world ... and the ability to play other conferences

"Dayton has had a pretty good amount of success on being competitive on the court, our fans they show up ... you guys travel ... so that is huge ...
I know In Charleston last year ... I was blown away with the support, we got there and the same thing this year in the Bahamas, I thought we had a great crowd, and they were loud.
I know the people that run these events they are always giving us feedback on terms of how much they appreciate the way our fans come out to support us and the way our fans travel.
It always means a lot, those things will allow us to have doors open, on getting those quality events, to play against the competition, we are playing against."

Larry said ...
"I don't know the exact numbers, but I heard word from people putting on the Atlantis event, that ... Dayton not only sold more tickets than any other fan base team of the eight teams, but may have sold more tickets than any team ever has ... in the history of the event"
16 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to marco red eagle For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (11-27-2018), Beatty Town Coach (11-27-2018), BOF02 (11-29-2018), Buster Goode (11-29-2018), CT Flyer (11-27-2018), CvilleFlyer (11-27-2018), FIFO28 (11-27-2018), FlyerBob (11-27-2018), fuz_forward (11-27-2018), jack72 (11-27-2018), Justin (11-27-2018), Muckem333 (11-27-2018), NYCFLYER (11-28-2018), rollo (11-27-2018), Runnin' Rebel (11-27-2018), San Diego Flyer (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Extra thanks to Willie Morris and whoever put up donor money to send the pep band. We were the only school with a band. Some brought cheerleaders.
Here is the special part. Willie was only allowed to bring 8 band members. They arrived Monday evening. As he did in Anaheim, Willie hit the recruiting trail and picked up additional members from 4 local schools. I don't recall the final number of added musicians, but there were at least 12 (I think more). They were a little rough at the pre-game event on Wednesday, but by Friday they were tuned up and in sync. Great job by the UD student members for taking those kids under their wings and molding them into a quality unit. I hope they got some TV time.
One missed opportunity was the fact that they didn't get recognition during any of the games. Would have been nice to let the local members run out on the floor and be recognized.
BeckysTXA (11-28-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (11-28-2018), FlyerBob (11-28-2018), fuz_forward (11-28-2018), Justin (11-28-2018), MNFats (11-28-2018), Radar (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 12:51 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Extra thanks to Willie Morris and whoever put up donor money to send the pep band. We were the only school with a band. Some brought cheerleaders.
Here is the special part. Willie was only allowed to bring 8 band members. They arrived Monday evening. As he did in Anaheim, Willie hit the recruiting trail and picked up additional members from 4 local schools. I don't recall the final number of added musicians, but there were at least 12 (I think more). They were a little rough at the pre-game event on Wednesday, but by Friday they were tuned up and in sync. Great job by the UD student members for taking those kids under their wings and molding them into a quality unit. I hope they got some TV time.
One missed opportunity was the fact that they didn't get recognition during any of the games. Would have been nice to let the local members run out on the floor and be recognized.
Willie and the band got plenty of TV time, especially Willie and his UD coat. They sounded loud and proud. At one time out they showed the band playing and Willie dancing with a very attractive blonde, probably a Rollo groupie, who had to settle for Willie.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless of the tournament or venue or competition, no other school gets as much love for their fan base, city, knowledge of basketball (especially UDPriders), than we do. I realize some of it is in the media notes handed to the ESPN heads, but by now just about every broadcaster who sits behind a microphone for any network has worked a game at the arena, be it First Four, rounds 3/4, or a Flyers' game. They get it, we get big props because of it, and it never gets old.

Last edited by Radar; 11-28-2018 at 02:20 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (11-28-2018), San Diego Flyer (11-28-2018), TommyGola (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 02:07 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely, and many times we ourselves do not recognize the special nature of the program, the fans, and the venue.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-28-2018), marco red eagle (11-28-2018), OSU Flyer (11-28-2018), Radar (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 02:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't change anything but I can't help but wonder if that fan support - both at home and on the road - could be a negative for ever getting in the Big East. I think there is jealousy at play and the administrators at some of the other BE schools could not bare the thought of the Flyer Faithful becoming a force in their conference.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I wouldn't change anything but I can't help but wonder if that fan support - both at home and on the road - could be a negative for ever getting in the Big East. I think there is jealousy at play and the administrators at some of the other BE schools could not bare the thought of the Flyer Faithful becoming a force in their conference.
I would think that what ever makes them money is what would collectively drive them most. Obviously Xavier and maybe Depaul and Marquette would have some jealousy and some fear that we would become a force in their league.

I did go to the Providence and Fairleigh Dickinson game last night at the Dunk and granted it was a late start (8:30 pm) but there was probably about 3000-4000 people at the game in a place that holds over 12,000. I actually counted in the student section and there were about 25 students in attendance. Sad for a team that has aspirations of winning the NBE this year. When I see that it makes me proud to be a Flyer with our following.

Last edited by CT Flyer; 11-28-2018 at 05:04 PM..
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Last week in the Bahamas - my Wife heard some Buttler fans talking on Monday and they were talking about playing Virginia and that Dayton was a non-issue. Obviously their team felt the same way. Great feeling walking out of there on Wednesday night chanting we are UD with the Butler fans hanging their heads. Was lucky enough to stay just 3 doors down from Coach Grant and was able to talk to him briefly while down there. He is such a class act - so glad he is back at UD. And WOW his one son is the spitting image of him when he was at UD back in the 80's
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-29-2018), NYCFLYER (11-30-2018), San Diego Flyer (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,489 Times in 764 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I would think that what ever makes them money is what would collectively drive them most. Obviously Xavier and maybe Depaul and Marquette would have some jealousy and some fear that we would become a force in their league.

I did go to the Providence and Fairleigh Dickinson game last night at the Dunk and granted it was a late start (8:30 pm) but there was probably about 3000-4000 people at the game in a place that holds over 12,000. I actually counted in the student section and there were about 25 students in attendance. Sad for a team that has aspirations of winning the NBE this year. When I see that it makes me proud to be a Flyer with our following.
I have to agree 100%. We probably lost out on the first round due to a combination of not playing well enough in recent history and X teaming up with MU and whoever to keep us out. The next time will be heavily weighted towards the financial math. What does team "A" "B" or "C" bring to the table to guarantee the financial health of the NBE and it's primary broadcast partner. (Just don't have a dismal men's BBALL record.) If, by some miracle, X takes a 5 year long dive, UD, with it's large endowment, world class facilites, unparalleled fan base, and HOPEFULLY ongoing strong mens BBALL resume, just MIGHT get in. But probably not.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
The Jesuits Will Never

accept a Marianist Institution as an equal member. It is a Roman Catholic thing.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:31 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It doesn't help that a bakers dozen of our fans continually hammer BE programs when they lose. Word gets around. Those posts come across like whining. Now Xavier is another story. They deserve a daily snub.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:02 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
accept a Marianist Institution as an equal member. It is a Roman Catholic thing.
But I thought we were all created equal?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
It doesn't help that a bakers dozen of our fans continually hammer BE programs when they lose. Word gets around. Those posts come across like whining. Now Xavier is another story. They deserve a daily snub.
Isn't there a saying? - if you can't join em, trash them
Old 11-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
The Jesuits just believe they are more equal than regular Catholics…..
Old 11-29-2018, 07:47 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Absolutely! Until we're not.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:14 PM
Captain

murphy98 has a spectacular aura aboutmurphy98 has a spectacular aura about
I agree! Best fans. Best pep band!