User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
What's It Going to Take?

For the Flyers to make a run in the A10 tourney, what do you think we need to see? I think there are a few indicators that will determine how far we go. First, Scoochie Smith MUST maintain a high level of play. This does not mean that he needs to do anything more than he's done over the last several games. We just need his solid play, pace and ability to get to the basket. It would be nice if he would hit a couple of 12 foot jump shots, but we can win without that. He also can have hiccups against SJU. I don't look for him to have his best game against them. Martelli will have them clogging our passing lanes again. He'll have some turnovers. He just needs to play better than he did in the loss. We just need solid, not spectacular, play from Scoochie.

Pollard MUST continue to contribute. He played his best game of the year against St. Louis. We don't need that. Like with Scoochie, we just need him to bring his improved play.

Khari must remain healthy enough to play at least 20 minutes.

Pierre needs to score in the 8-14 range and get 5-8 rebounds.

Sibert needs to get at least 5 open looks per game. If he's getting open looks, we're moving the ball well. If he gets open looks, he'll knock down an above average percentage of 3 point shots. He just needs to get the open looks.

Robinson, Scott, Kavs and Gavs (if he's healthy enough to play...I include him because he may play) need to total 10 points per game and grab 6 rebounds.

None of these benchmarks (benchmarks is probably better than indicators) is a pie in the sky type hope against hope thing (hope against hope...is that like an intersquad game at Hope College?). These are all achievable. If I had to pick just 2, I would say that Scoochie's and Pollard's play could determine our results. We beat teams with bench play.

Note: I don't mention Vee. His production is so up and down that the team has learned to adjust to what it gets. It's also not a strong indicator of success. There have been games where his production has reflected a lack of production from Pierre and Sibert. Vee needs to give us bench production, but I see other areas that are a priority.
Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Muckem333 (03-13-2014)
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
We just need to be loud and wear red.
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
NorthwestFlyer (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You mean '...and wear red propeller beanies.'

As for HydeParks question, how about we show up and play 40 minutes of basketball? With our experience, that should keep us competitive.

Last edited by rollo; 03-13-2014 at 10:33 AM..
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM
General

Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the Scooch comment, his play has come so far from the IPFW game to the end of the season. With Khari's knee issue and the hope of playing multiple games over 3-4 days, really need Scooch to log a bunch of solid minutes. If UD plans to win the A10 tournament, they probably need someone else to step up and fill some minutes at the point (Either Davis or Vee) to get both a rest. That hasn't gone particularly well in the spurts UD has had to use either of those 2 at the PG spot.

Production down low, more than points, they need some toughness inside, just keeping the other team from penetrating the defense and getting easy looks close to the rim would be huge.

Constancy from the perimeter. This team has a collection of really good 3 point threats. There's obviously Sibert, Oliver and Price who all sport 40% accuracty from long range, but you also have Scooch who is very solid from the corner 3 ball spot (seems like he's 50% on that 3 pointer) and decent from directly in facing the rim, he struggles more shooting the 3 from the corner; then there is Pierre who's 3 pt production has dropped this season as his overall game has improved. If he can find his stroke from long range and get to the 40% clip that he was at last year over the next couple of weeks, good things could be in order.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Winning today's game is a good first step, it's the only game that matters
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,944 Times in 2,941 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If John R could post here he would say thanks. I saw him wearing that Flyer propellor beanie at the Richmond game and had to chuckle.

He's an original.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-13-2014), DetroitFlyer (03-13-2014), Glen Clark (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Like Bucky says:

"show the pass, then throw the pass" -- our downfall in games we struggle vs inferior teams (Duq, URI) and vs stronger teams usually starts with the stupid, lazy pass. The beginning of our half court offense is so predictable that our A10 opponents must salivate when watching tape, knowing precisely when they can jump the pass for an easy steal.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I won't agree with Rollo out of principle (I think he keeps track of any overt statements of agreement on an abacus in his basement), but I will modify his statement a bit. The Flyers need to play hard on D for 40 minutes. I didn't mention anything about defense in my post because we're a lousy defensive team. But, if we at least go after it on the D end for 40 minutes, we would beat any team in the A10 except for VCU with at least a decent offensive performance. I don't include VCU because there are so many additional factors that come into play against them. Against VCU, I'd be less concerned about whether we'd make shots and more concerned about protecting the ball so that we'd get shots. The key to beating them would have to include a turnover threshold that couldn't be crossed.

Maybe Rollo can get into the lockerroom to put a simple message on the whiteboard: 40 MINUTES. AM could walk in and stare at it silently for a few minutes. When he's done, he should tell them that the difference in the game could be the length of time that he was silent. It can get away that quickly.
rollo (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'll take 18 minutes of D and 34 minutes of O...deal?

I intentionally left the word 'defense' out of my statement because I'm a realist, not a dreamer, and never expect production from those incapable of such expectations.

Should the Flyers play 40 minutes of pressure defense, I'm playing the Super-Mega-Lotto tonite using the starting 5's numbers + Brass Nutz winner's point total.

BTW...rollo's abacus is tattooed on the outside of his right bicep for easy access.
BRob2Perryman3 (03-13-2014), Hyde Park Flyer (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Brigadier General

You should exploit one of your connections to suggest to AM that he do the 40 minute thing on a whiteboard. You would effectively be sneaking into the lockerroom by using clandestine methods to impose your presence.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:28 AM
1st Lieutenant

udflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the rough
Whom do you Believe: Dance Card or Bleacher Report????

Don't like the sound of this..........

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...sunday/page/10
Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Brilliant!..I'll even send one to the White House!

Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
You should exploit one of your connections to suggest to AM that he do the 40 minute thing on a whiteboard. You would effectively be sneaking into the lockerroom by using clandestine methods to impose your presence.
Are you suggesting that Rollo market life-size FatHead wall decals of himself?!! They could even come with sticky 'quotes' like "MAN UP"...."DROP AND GIVE ME 50" or, my favorite, "EAT ME I'M A WINKIE".

I'll get my agent on it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Brigadier General

I stopped reading at "life-size FatHead wall decals of himself."
rollo (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udflyerfan View Post

Most ignorant op-ed yet. X also has a despicable loss to USC on their resume... and they miss the last game of our season was a home win against (at the time bubble team) Richmond and the third to last was a top 20 RPI win as well. Someone forgot to look at resumes before picking up their pen. I suppose he thinks the selection committee will weigh a 26 point shellacking over a 9 and 1 finish.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Levelbest (03-13-2014), rollo (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by udflyerfan View Post

That article is no better than stuff I have seen posted on this board. In fact, I could easily have written a better piece with more depth. I guess that is why this Jake Curtis is only writing for B/R.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,431 Times in 681 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I still don't understand why people read anything on Bleacher Report. And that has absolutely nothing to do with this writer's opinion of Dayton, and everything to do with the quality of the writing on the site in general.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Whats it going to take?

- a win over Fordham
- the Good Lord not ending the earth before Selection Sunday

Otherwise, we dance
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-13-2014), Hyde Park Flyer (03-13-2014), m21eagle45 (03-13-2014), SC_Flyer (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM

*the Hail Rollos are coming in by the millions!

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Whats it going to take?

- the Good Lord not ending the earth before Selection Sunday
Don't worry....I won't*.
Levelbest (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Brigadier General

I noticed that Fordham's leading scorer played 38 minutes last night. His season average was just over 36. Canty grabbed 19 boards in 32 minutes. This should be a good thing for the Flyers. Canty only averaged 15 minutes per game this year. His legs should be a bit heavy today. He's probably more than a bit sore from his interior work as well. Overall, they basically only went 7 deep (an 8th player got 2 minutes). I like playing a team a day after a close game with guys logging a lot of minutes. Advantage Flyers.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Just off the Jet

CC565 is on a distinguished road
Why is Vee Sanford production down this year from last year? Why Archie Miller want play him some games no more than 14mins. That's the only time he don't produce. And K Davis is a 2 guard only. The End