Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
2nd Lieutenant

GregKohlsFan will become famous soon enoughGregKohlsFan will become famous soon enough
Scheduling

There have been a lot of comments the past several days about the impact this run will have on recruiting. And I think it definitely will.

But I'm interested to see what impact this might have on scheduling.

I understand that Ohio State and North Carolina aren't suddenly going to start playing home and home games with us. But shouldn't it be easier to get some of the middle tier teams (NC State, Clemson, Illinois, etc.) to play home and home games with us?

UD has done a good job of making this happen in recent years - Ole Miss, USC, etc. I hope this run allows it to continue!
Mad Props to GregKohlsFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Hyde Park Flyer (04-09-2014)
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Scheduling the National Champs

Why not approach UConn with a creative proposition...something like this:

1. First, ask for a home-and-home with the men.
2. Failing that, ask for the women.
3. Then try some novelty, e.g., the UD men play at UConn with no return game...and the women do a home-and-home.

When Calhoun was coach there was no chance. And since he had no relationship with Auriemma, a dual arrangement was out of the question. But, Ollie and Auriemma are close friends....it's now different. And Auriemma knows JJ well....they may even be friends.

Right now UD is flyin' pretty high...both programs are NCAA programs. Why not stretch a bit.....if not UConn, a similar program. Demanding that a men's opponent agree to a home-and-home doesn't seem reasonable.

The UD women seem agreeable to playing a top opponent on the road. The time seems right to approach UConn. UC will be far weaker next season..it will be a rebuilding year. Dayton should be solid with Hoover and Mallot as seniors.

We've earned some cachet....hopefully we'll be able to use it to advantage in recruiting and scheduling...but, the time is now.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure that UConn would bite, but this is a great approach. UD would be showing a lot of initiative in creating a men's-women's doubleheader with another program that has 2 NCAA caliber teams. It's the type of idea that could become a hot idea as it gives AD's the opportunity to showcase their women's teams. I know they've had DH's before, but this is different. This is out of conference against another solid program. We could set a bit of a trend. There are some fun programs worth approaching that may be a bit more open than UConn, ND, Duke or UNC. Stanford, Tennessee, and Maryland would be worth approaching.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Captain

DaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
I'm not sure that UConn would bite, but this is a great approach. UD would be showing a lot of initiative in creating a men's-women's doubleheader with another program that has 2 NCAA caliber teams. It's the type of idea that could become a hot idea as it gives AD's the opportunity to showcase their women's teams. I know they've had DH's before, but this is different. This is out of conference against another solid program. We could set a bit of a trend. There are some fun programs worth approaching that may be a bit more open than UConn, ND, Duke or UNC. Stanford, Tennessee, and Maryland would be worth approaching.
I wouldn't mind another shot at UF. And I'm sure JJ and the women wouldn't mind either
Old 04-09-2014, 03:13 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure either,...

Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
But, the chances have never been better. JJ coached at Providence for six years, playing UC twice a year. Surely, JJ knows Auriemma pretty well. I cannot believe that Auriemma would refuse to play the UD women in CT with no return game at Dayton. Why would he?

So, the worst case scenario is a good UD team plays the national champion during the latter's rebuilding season. (I'm taking for granted that the UD team will be good....there is no upside to losing by 40 to UC.)

The road to the UC men is though a JJ - Auriemma connection because of the close mentor-like relationship between Auriemma and Ollie.

The UD men play a solid OOC schedule that doesn't need beefing up, in my opinion. And our E-8 triumph gets us over a hump, so to speak. The women, on the other hand, seem to me to have stalled, plateaued, or whatever.

Five NCAAs in a row is nothing to sneeze at. But a 2-5 record doesn't sparkle. In my opinion, JJ's program needs a boost of some sort. Most likely scheduling isn't it,...winning when the chips are down is. I hope the incoming freshmen help. But, having top-tier teams on the schedule doesn't hurt and is is a recruiting aid.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
But, the chances have never been better. JJ coached at Providence for six years, playing UC twice a year. Surely, JJ knows Auriemma pretty well. I cannot believe that Auriemma would refuse to play the UD women in CT with no return game at Dayton. Why would he?
So, the worst case scenario is a good UD team plays the national champion during the latter's rebuilding season. (I'm taking for granted that the UD team will be good....there is no upside to losing by 40 to UC.)

The road to the UC men is though a JJ - Auriemma connection because of the close mentor-like relationship between Auriemma and Ollie.

The UD men play a solid OOC schedule that doesn't need beefing up, in my opinion. And our E-8 triumph gets us over a hump, so to speak. The women, on the other hand, seem to me to have stalled, plateaued, or whatever.

Five NCAAs in a row is nothing to sneeze at. But a 2-5 record doesn't sparkle. In my opinion, JJ's program needs a boost of some sort. Most likely scheduling isn't it,...winning when the chips are down is. I hope the incoming freshmen help. But, having top-tier teams on the schedule doesn't hurt and is is a recruiting aid.
Didn't this happen just 2 seasons ago and our women lost by a large amount?

Edit: My mistake that was part of a tournament.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 04-09-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I still don't think it has to be UConn. It would not be competitive with the women. UConn just comfortably beat the #2 team in the country. The idea of Tennessee, Stanford or Maryland would be fun because the games are winnable. When I think about the idea, I like most the opportunity to televise both games on a Saturday or Sunday. It could be treated as a celebration of the game. Would be fun!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:28 PM

True,,,

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
Didn't this happen just 2 seasons ago and our women lost by a large amount?

Edit: My mistake that was part of a tournament.
Tournament or not,...the Flyers got waxed....you're right. Don't want that to happen again.

But, many Priders that see the Flyers play regularly have said that recent UD teams are much better than the one that played in CT. True? I don't know.

Next year UD should be good, having a seasoned, tournament-hardened team. UC will be considerably weaker, having graduated two All Americans with no replacements in sight. I was thinking of possible PR value of a reasonably competitive game. That's all.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I think a double header even on a "neutral" court like MSG would be great.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
There are plenty of other teams aside from UConn that are highly attractive. Wichita State, New Mexico, Tennessee, Baylor, Iowa State, etc. Heck, any BCS match up is a win. Some of the lower-upper to mid-tier BCS teams may give us a more serious look. No harm in going for them.
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why the UD men would want to play at UConn with no return game. I would rather have a home-and-home with a slightly lower level BCS team like Alabama, Ole' Miss, Seton Hall, USC, etc. And now with our Elite Eight run we might be able to get higher level BCS teams - not top level, but perhaps at a higher level than we have had in the past. We didn't need an Elite Eight run to get road-only games.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (04-10-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I don't know why the UD men would want to play at UConn with no return game.
I agree - especially after we beat them on a neutral court next season
Old 04-09-2014, 06:12 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry but a mens'/womens doubleheader with UCONN is a huge wet dream. Would be incredible, unless we lose BOTH badly.

I don't believe that would happen. One maybe, but not both.

No other matchup comes NEAR this one.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
And YES, neutral court or home and home.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Captain

rasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to behold
how about a doubleheader with Texas mens and womens team in say Dallas?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
UD posted two adds today. Looking for a home and home with a high major, and several buy games.

http://www.basketballtravelers.com/g...oard/?e_type=1

If you look at Clemson just above that, they're offering "competitive, creative guarantees." You see several schools say that.

What the hell is a "creative" guarantee??
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (04-09-2014), rollo (04-10-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
UD posted two adds today. Looking for a home and home with a high major, and several buy games.
http://www.basketballtravelers.com/g...oard/?e_type=1
If we are looking for only one home-and-home I would say we play Iona on the road or at a neutral site which several of us have been saying. Others have said it was a buy game. If it had been a buy game I think we would need two home-and-homes.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Please tell me someone is working on the Memphis Pookie Powell vs Scoochie Smith games. Now that's a creative guarantee.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
What the hell is a "creative" guarantee??
I'm imagining something like:

If you play here, as opposed to the $100,000 you'd normally get, we'll pay you $123,456.78. Now THAT'S creative!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
My favorite:

OHIO STATE WILL PAY A GUARANTEE FOR DECEMBER 9 OR 10 - TOP 200 RPI PREFERRED - PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH INTEREST - D1 TEAMS ONLY

Man I'm glad we beat them! Think they will call us to setup that home and home? HA!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanked 10,180 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post
My favorite:

OHIO STATE WILL PAY A GUARANTEE FOR DECEMBER 9 OR 10 - TOP 200 RPI PREFERRED - PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH INTEREST - D1 TEAMS ONLY

Man I'm glad we beat them! Think they will call us to setup that home and home? HA!!!
Interpretation: "We will play anybody at home, hopefully a poor team, guaranteeing an easy win; and no Ohio teams."
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
pmcmullen (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
If we are looking for only one home-and-home I would say we play Iona on the road or at a neutral site which several of us have been saying. Others have said it was a buy game. If it had been a buy game I think we would need two home-and-homes.
Or we could have already scheduled another.

Dayton's schedule release mentions Ole Miss and Georgia Tech being series games, but nothing about Iona. Iona's schedule release mentions Cleveland State, George Mason, FGCU, and also Wofford in a later release, but nothing about Dayton being a series. There's been no article or blog stating it was a series, only a single post on UDPride in which the rumor started. No one on the Iona message board has suggested such, and Dayton isn't even brought up in their 2014-2015 schedule discussion. Evidence points to it being a buy game.

Last edited by bcross; 04-10-2014 at 09:57 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
hawkoooo (04-25-2014), rollo (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 PM

Doubleheader?

An article in tonight's paper re UConn scheduling, especially for next year, said that UC is looking for a school(s) suitable for a mens/women's doubleheader. Hmmm.

The same article mentioned the Puerto Rican Classic and named the particpating teams with the Dayton Flyers listed first.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
An article in tonight's paper re UConn scheduling, especially for next year, said that UC is looking for a school(s) suitable for a mens/women's doubleheader. Hmmm.

The same article mentioned the Puerto Rican Classic and named the particpating teams with the Dayton Flyers listed first.
That would be great...a clash of Titan!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute

It's my understanding that they want the men's/women's double-header to be home and home. Rumor has it they're talking with Kentucky, Kansas and Nova as possibilities.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 AM

And Georgetown....

It's my understanding that they want the men's/women's double-header to be home and home. Rumor has it they're talking with Kentucky, Kansas and Nova as possibilities.
But, I have not heard the home-and-home angle....a neutral site was mentioned, NYC possibly.

Apparently it's quite difficult to accommodaate the schedules of four teams, men's and women's at two schools.

Realisyically, UD, either men or women, most likely would have to agree to play in CT with no return game to get a shot at UConn. Kissell always said that was OK with him so long as the opponent was right and the game was on TV.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-25-2014), xubrew (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
But, I have not heard the home-and-home angle....a neutral site was mentioned, NYC possibly.

Apparently it's quite difficult to accommodaate the schedules of four teams, men's and women's at two schools.

Realisyically, UD, either men or women, most likely would have to agree to play in CT with no return game to get a shot at UConn. Kissell always said that was OK with him so long as the opponent was right and the game was on TV.
I can pretty much guarantee UD and UConn will not be playing a Home-Home or neutral double header. I think you are looking way too much into the fact that Dayton was mentioned first in the article that talked about the PR Classic.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Understood...

I can pretty much guarantee UD and UConn will not be playing a Home-Home or neutral double header. I think you are looking way too much into the fact that Dayton was mentioned first in the article that talked about the PR Classic.
I get that. There was no suggestion that UD was a possibility. UConn's clear preference is a renewed rivalry with a old Big East team like Syracuse.

What makes this difficult is finding a desirable opponent for the women's half of the doubleheader. There are many suitable men's programs. But the opponent also must have a strong enough women's program to ensure a reasonably competitive (interesting?) game. That's the catch.

UConn is looking for two match-ups, not just one. They want a single double-header at a site in NY, for example. And they want a home-and-home series doubleheader.

It's not clear why they are interested in doubleheaders. But, there has been a big change at UConn. When Calhoun was coach he wanted nothing to do with the women's program...he and Auriemma were, shall we say, "distant". In contrast, Ollie and Auriemma are close friends. Anything is possible. Ollie is eager to collaborate with the women's program.

UConn's midnight madness game in October was a combined event featuring a single game with mixed men's and women's teams playing against one another. It was very exciting and entertaining....the full-house crowd loved it.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Major General

I get that. There was no suggestion that UD was a possibility. UConn's clear preference is a renewed rivalry with a old Big East team like Syracuse.

What makes this difficult is finding a desirable opponent for the women's half of the doubleheader. There are many suitable men's programs. But the opponent also must have a strong enough women's program to ensure a reasonably competitive (interesting?) game. That's the catch.

UConn is looking for two match-ups, not just one. They want a single double-header at a site in NY, for example. And they want a home-and-home series doubleheader.

It's not clear why they are interested in doubleheaders. But, there has been a big change at UConn. When Calhoun was coach he wanted nothing to do with the women's program...he and Auriemma were, shall we say, "distant". In contrast, Ollie and Auriemma are close friends. Anything is possible. Ollie is eager to collaborate with the women's program.

UConn's midnight madness game in October was a combined event featuring a single game with mixed men's and women's teams playing against one another. It was very exciting and entertaining....the full-house crowd loved it.
No offense, if you get that and you stated they are looking for match ups like Syracuse, then why bring that up on a Dayton board?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:27 PM

No offense, if you get that and you stated they are looking for match ups like Syracuse, then why bring that up on a Dayton board?
You better duck. If I were to make this same post I would get blasted.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
It's a perfectly legitimate topic for discussion here on the UConn Pride forum.
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:49 PM

No offense taken,...

Two reaons:

1. While UC has stated its intent, it has also made clear that it's having trouble making it happen. It's not easy to accommodate the schedules of four teams.

2. While a long shot, with the Flyers men's and women's programs riding high and UC having a bit of trouble finding partners, I thought a UC-UD match was at least possible. And, I suspect that UD would a bit more accommodating than some other schools.

Now I ask you (especially longtimer)...considering all the goofy things I''ve posted over the years, is this at the top of the list? I think not.

Last edited by UACFlyer; 04-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Two reasons:

1. While UC has stated its intent, it has also made clear that it's having trouble making it happen. It's not easy to accommodate the schedules of four teams.

2. While a long shot, with the Flyers men's and women's programs riding high and UC having a bit of trouble finding partners, I thought a UC-UD match was at least possible. And, I suspect that UD would a bit more accommodating than some other schools.
So there WAS a "suggestion that UD was a possibility." First it wasn't a possibility, now it is? You can't have it both ways.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 PM

Sure you can...

So there WAS a "suggestion that UD was a possibility." First it wasn't a possibility, now it is? You can't have it both ways.
.....have it both ways if you consider context.

In the newspaper article in which Dayton was mentioned as being a possible opponent in the Tip Off Classic, there was "no suggestion" by the writer that UD would/could be a doubleheader partner.

By bringing the matter up I was "suggesting" the possibility, remote as it is.

Get it, my friend? No suggestion in the paper...but a suggestion by me.

And while remote, I don't think it's ridiculous for the following reasons. 1. For some reason UC is hot on the idea of mens/womens doubleheaders. 2. So far, UC seems to be having trouble making it happen. 3. Ollie will follow Auriemma's lead, no matter what. 4. Jabir and Auriemma are friends from way back. 5. Both UD's men's and women's programs are simultaneously enjoying a degree of prominence that is unprecedented.

So, it seemed to me that if UD had any interest at all....and JJ reached out to his friend and colleague Auriemma,...perhaps there was a chance it could happen. For certain, absent an inquiery by UD it won't happen.

Why is mere suggestion of such a possible scenario deserving of such disdain?
Old 04-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Major General

.....have it both ways if you consider context.

In the newspaper article in which Dayton was mentioned as being a possible opponent in the Tip Off Classic, there was "no suggestion" by the writer that UD would/could be a doubleheader partner.

By bringing the matter up I was "suggesting" the possibility, remote as it is.

Get it, my friend? No suggestion in the paper...but a suggestion by me.

And while remote, I don't think it's ridiculous for the following reasons. 1. For some reason UC is hot on the idea of mens/womens doubleheaders. 2. So far, UC seems to be having trouble making it happen. 3. Ollie will follow Auriemma's lead, no matter what. 4. Jabir and Auriemma are friends from way back. 5. Both UD's men's and women's programs are simultaneously enjoying a degree of prominence that is unprecedented.

So, it seemed to me that if UD had any interest at all....and JJ reached out to his friend and colleague Auriemma,...perhaps there was a chance it could happen. For certain, absent an inquiery by UD it won't happen.

Why is mere suggestion of such a possible scenario deserving of such disdain?
Because it will never happen, especially with both teams playing in PR Classic. If UD was mentioned as a possibility I can see the discussion here. But since they were not,you mainly are bringing up UConn scheduling discussion not UD scheduling. I would expect this to be discussed on the boneyard...Not UDPride.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-25-2014), jack72 (04-25-2014), longtimefan (04-25-2014)