Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Captain

skip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really nice
Lightbulb So as not to get lost in the other lengthy threads ...

For those of you who are content with our home schedule and happy it will get us to the promised land (NCAA tournament), are any of you actual season ticket holders? Are you non holders that only sit in the nosebleed seats? Or, are you non local fans/alumni from afar that don't have to support the program with ticket $$$$. If you are season ticket holders, how can you really be happy with this kind of scheduling and the cost/value of such .... especially in the 1st year of the seating program renewal? It's an embarrassment to most any mid level D1 program, especially for one with the great fan base as ours.

I've been through both thick and thin as an alumnus and sports follower for many years. Yes, I miss the heyday (and realize it will probably never return) when we played against the big boys who have left us behind like ND, Marquette (and no, Chicago does not count), DePaul, Louisville and UC. But, our schedule WAS better last year and should continue to GET better, not take steps backward. Surely, we can schedule home and away games with several other comparable mid majors each year and have only a few RPI teams above 200 or so! If we can't be competitive with such a schedule, then maybe changes should be made in the program.

And, for the record, I AM a BG supporter. But if he had any say so in this schedule, then I am quite disappointed in his confidence to succeed and what he thinks of hos players. Yes, we lost BR, but we have a decent veteran team that should be better (if they worked hard at it this summer), some new blood, and we should have less injuries to point to (hopefully). Surely, the speed, athleticism and quickness will lead to an uptempo style of play, right???

How is this program ever going to grow in stature if we schedule teams that will never get us on TV (other than our local TV 7)? Who is going to come play for us if we only show them powder puffs that will not help them improve their game? I don't get it. Wins alone will not get us where we want (and should) be.

PS: Now, God forbid I say this, but TMan should be allowed on this site. Just because he spoke his peace didn't make his comments any less thought provoking or, in may cases (depending on your personal views), valid! Were his views any less worthwhile than anyone else's? Some of you "Flyer Fanatics" took more personal verbal shots at him than any he took at the UD Admin. And, I rarely saw him start a verbal attack, it usually was in response to someone else who was just waiting for him to make a post!

He didn't like the way TK ran the program. So what, neither do I. I don't think we needed to upgrade all the sports and facilities at the expense of Men's BB, especially for the conference we are in ... and will be in for some time (according to comments TK made himself). No sense getting into an argument about this, but would a better BB product have driven the other facilities quicker?

I'd say the same for BB33 except for the language used in getting his points across were pretty sad.

No apologies, Chris, this is what I think.

Go Flyers!
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skip69 View Post
For those of you who are content with our home schedule and happy it will get us to the promised land (NCAA tournament), are any of you actual season ticket holders?

Some of you "Flyer Fanatics" took more personal verbal shots at him (tman) than any he took at the UD Admin. And, I rarely saw him start a verbal attack, it usually was in response to someone else who was just waiting for him to make a post!

Go Flyers!
Yes, we wouldn't want that post to get lost. We haven't heard any of that before.

(1) Yes, I have been a season ticket holder for over 25 years, and I am in the lower arena and pay a seat license fee. And, no, I am not "content" with the home schedule, but I don't go on and on and on and on about it like some posters do. I have said we should have had one fewer buy game and one more series starting at home with an MVC type team. But the schedule is what it is, and I don't think anyone has said they are "content" with it.

(2) You're kidding, right??? Have you actually read his posts?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Major

allflyernamesaregone
If season ticket holders are not satisfied with the schedule, the team, the coach, or any other aspect of the program then they can simply not buy tickets and they won't have to be subject to it.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Captain

skip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by allflyernamesaregone View Post
If season ticket holders are not satisfied with the schedule, the team, the coach, or any other aspect of the program then they can simply not buy tickets and they won't have to be subject to it.
Are you a season ticket holder, or just someone who continues to make such a statement?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Yes, we wouldn't want that post to get lost. We haven't heard any of that before.

(1) Yes, I have been a season ticket holder for over 25 years, and I am in the lower arena and pay a seat license fee. And, no, I am not "content" with the home schedule, but I don't go on and on and on and on about it like some posters do. I have said we should have had one fewer buy game and one more series starting at home with an MVC type team. But the schedule is what it is, and I don't think anyone has said they are "content" with it.

(2) You're kidding, right??? Have you actually read his posts?
Yes, many posters are happy and stated as such that with the weaker schedule because more wins will help us into the NC2A tourney.

Yes, I have read his posts and am not kidding.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
At the expense of men's BB?

skip, one new series start at home is all it would have taken. Miami, George Mason and one other good opponent is what we needed, as longtimer has pointed out. Combine that with the away games and we would have a solid OOC schedule.

What annoys me is the apparent lack of attention to fan entertainment. We should have at least three interesting, entertaining OOC home games every year, at a minimum.

skip, where you slip off the track is with the remark "at the expense of men's basketball". Men's BB generates a few million more than it needs every year. There is no skimping of any kind re men's BB: coaching salaries are competitive, recruiting gets whatever it needs, the team flys by charter jet (definitely not typical of a mid-major program), the facilities are great and with the renovated PAC get even better. There is not one area, no matter how small, in which men's BB suffers because of money spent on other sports.

In fact, if there ever is a conference realignment affecting Dayton the strength of the overall athletics program, incl facilities, will be a very important factor. A major reason why we suffered the profound embarrassment of being "uninvited" when C-USA was formed is because we had no athletic program.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Another thing I can't understand is why everyone assumes Marshall is a crap team. Many have said we should play someone from the MVC, the WAC, the Mountain West, or Conference USA. Well, Marshall is in Conference USA. They are not at the top of the conference yet but they are on the rise with longtime Florida assistant Donnie Jones in his second year. They have three transfers, from Purdue, Florida, and Georgetown, who will be eligible this season. They could be pretty good.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think Marshall is going to give us a very good game. They played a good schedule last year and will probably do the same this year. I am interested in seeing how these transfers are.

I am not a season ticket holder, but would be if I lived in Dayton.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Captain

Flyergrad has a spectacular aura aboutFlyergrad has a spectacular aura about
While I do think the schedule is a little on the soft side I think overall it is ok.

The reason I say this is that the road and neutral site games are very solid and winnable:
(Last years RPI in brackets)

at Toledo (186)
at Akron (69)
at Creighton (48)
Auburn (Chicago Invitational) (154)
Marquette (Chicago Invitational) (20)

There are some home games against very respectable programs:
UNC Greensboro (119)
Marshall (139)
George Mason (59)
Miami (Ohio) (81)

These buy games are against teams we are used to seeing as buy games and their RPI's are not to hateful.
Wofford (191)
Delaware State (207)
Troy (242)
Coppin State (232)

The problem with the schedule are these two games that UD did not schedule. They are part of the Chicago Invitational.
Bethune-Cookman (319)
Mercer (315)

Take away these two games and the schedule is not as bad as it looks.

Winning takes care of everything. UD beat Louisville and Pitt last year and went to the NIT. They just did not win enough. If UD wins enough games the RPI and the NCAA will take care of itself.

I actually think UD is very good at scheduling. Every year we have this discussion about a weak schedule but when it is all said and done the non-conference RPI looks pretty good.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Thanked 17,097 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
skip-

if t-man had offered his opinion on the same adult rational manner you have, he'd still be posting right now. i quite honestly donr care what t-man thinks on UD basketball. Just like I dont care what anyone else thinks. Im just here to promote discussion for and against. But one is expected to do so with the common courtesy of respect to everyone involved. When someone cant make the small consolation of speaking an opinion with respect for all involved -- even in disagreement -- that tells me they have agendas not worth encapsulating on this Web site.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 07-19-2008, 08:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Skip69, I may have missed it but I really don't remember everyone saying they were happy with the home schedule. I think every Flyer fan would love to have one or two non conference matchups at home where you know UD must play their best to win. Or, one home and one road game each year with a perenial ranked team. I could be making an assumption for others but that is certainly how I feel. Who doesn't like going to the arena and feeling the buzz prior to a big game?

Make it to the sweet sixteen (or better) and we will have some of those games, make it two years in a row and the phone will be ringing off the hook.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Tman lowered the level of discussion on this board from debate to insult. Good riddance.

Last year may have been the best home schedule for the Flyers that I can recall. We are making the return visit to Akron, the league has decided to reduce the strength of our "POD" within the league, and the elite schools don't want to mess with us at home after the nationally televised dismantling of Pitt and the win at Louisville. I would like to see another big name at home, but I am not disappointed with the schedule, and I am a season ticket holder. Vote with your pocketbook if you think it is that bad. I don't think that there is going to be a lack of buyers ready to jump in on good open seats.

Last edited by Fudd; 07-19-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Old 07-19-2008, 10:42 PM

I would still like someone to tell me how this year's schedule is THAT much worse than last year's. I'm talking about the overall schedule, not just the home schedule. You can't get a Pitt at home very often. It simply is not that much worse. We still have George Mason, Toledo, Akron, and Miami, the same as last year. Creighton is an upgrade from Holy Cross. Marquette replaces Pitt and Auburn is a step down from Louisville, but at least they are a BCS conference team. The buy games aren't that much worse other than Bethune-Cookman and Mercer, and you can't count those because we didn't schedule them. Playing those two games is well worth playing Marquette and Auburn on a neutral court. The schedule is maybe one good game worse than last year.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Nicely put

I would still like someone to tell me how this year's schedule is THAT much worse than last year's. I'm talking about the overall schedule, not just the home schedule. You can't get a Pitt at home very often. It simply is not that much worse. We still have George Mason, Toledo, Akron, and Miami, the same as last year. Creighton is an upgrade from Holy Cross. Marquette replaces Pitt and Auburn is a step down from Louisville, but at least they are a BCS conference team. The buy games aren't that much worse other than Bethune-Cookman and Mercer, and you can't count those because we didn't schedule them. Playing those two games is well worth playing Marquette and Auburn on a neutral court. The schedule is maybe one good game worse than last year.
As a loyal season ticket holder, I agree...Does the home schedule make me want to get up and do a cartwheel? Not really. Will my family of four leave 3 hours early in the midst of a snowstorm for any of our games? Absolutely.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:24 AM
1st Lieutenant

Big D is on a distinguished road
2008-09 (Brian Gregory)
Wofford
Delaware State
Chicago Invitational Challenge (Bethune-Cookman, Mercer, Auburn, Marquette)
Troy
at Akron
at Creighton
Coppin State
UNC Greensboro
Marshall
George Mason
at Toledo
Miami
Fordham
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
Saint Joseph’s
at Saint Louis
St. Louis
Temple
at Xavier
Xavier
at Charlotte
at George Washington
at La Salle
at Massachusetts
at Rhode Island

2002-03 (Oliver Purnell)
Delaware State
Evansville
Cincinnati
at Miami
UNC Wilmington
at Saint Louis
Ball State
at Old Dominion
Villanova
at Duke
Marquette
La Salle
Duquesne
Richmond
at Geo. Washington
at Temple
Massachusetts
at La Salle
at Duquesne
at Xavier
Geo. Washington
Saint Joseph’s
at Richmond
Xavier
at Rhode Island
Fordham

1997-98 (Oliver Purnell)
Murray State
Miami/Ohio
San Juan Shootout (Pennsylvania, South Florida, West Virginia)
Eastern Michigan
Wright State
Northeast Louisiana
at Marquette
at DePaul
Northwestern
Prairie View
at Fordham
St. Bonaventure
La Salle
Virginia Tech
at Geo. Washington
at La Salle
Xavier
Temple
at Massachusetts
Cleveland State
Duquesne
at Saint Joseph’s
Geo. Washington
at Virginia Tech
Rhode Island
at Duquesne
at Xavier

1992-93 (Jim O’Brien)
Great Alaska Shootout (Illinois, Alabama-Birmingham, Alaska-Anchorage)
Vanderbilt
at Miami/Ohio
Louisiana Tech
at Michigan State
Tennessee
Cincinnati
Missouri-St. Louis
at Marquette
at Notre Dame
Niagara
Xavier
Evansville
Butler
at Loyola/Ill
at Detroit
Duquesne
La Salle
Notre Dame
at Xavier
Saint Louis
at Butler
at Evansville
Detroit* W 81 70 10,605
Loyola/Ill.
at Duquesne
at La Salle
Old 07-20-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Big D View Post
2008-09 (Brian Gregory)
Wofford
Delaware State
Chicago Invitational Challenge (Bethune-Cookman, Mercer, Auburn, Marquette)
Troy
at Akron
at Creighton
Coppin State
UNC Greensboro
Marshall
George Mason
at Toledo
Miami
Fordham
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
Saint Joseph’s
at Saint Louis
St. Louis
Temple
at Xavier
Xavier
at Charlotte
at George Washington
at La Salle
at Massachusetts
at Rhode Island

2002-03 (Oliver Purnell)
Delaware State
Evansville
Cincinnati
at Miami
UNC Wilmington
at Saint Louis
Ball State
at Old Dominion
Villanova
at Duke
Marquette
La Salle
Duquesne
Richmond
at Geo. Washington
at Temple
Massachusetts
at La Salle
at Duquesne
at Xavier
Geo. Washington
Saint Joseph’s
at Richmond
Xavier
at Rhode Island
Fordham

1997-98 (Oliver Purnell)
Murray State
Miami/Ohio
San Juan Shootout (Pennsylvania, South Florida, West Virginia)
Eastern Michigan
Wright State
Northeast Louisiana
at Marquette
at DePaul
Northwestern
Prairie View
at Fordham
St. Bonaventure
La Salle
Virginia Tech
at Geo. Washington
at La Salle
Xavier
Temple
at Massachusetts
Cleveland State
Duquesne
at Saint Joseph’s
Geo. Washington
at Virginia Tech
Rhode Island
at Duquesne
at Xavier

1992-93 (Jim O’Brien)
Great Alaska Shootout (Illinois, Alabama-Birmingham, Alaska-Anchorage)
Vanderbilt
at Miami/Ohio
Louisiana Tech
at Michigan State
Tennessee
Cincinnati
Missouri-St. Louis
at Marquette
at Notre Dame
Niagara
Xavier
Evansville
Butler
at Loyola/Ill
at Detroit
Duquesne
La Salle
Notre Dame
at Xavier
Saint Louis
at Butler
at Evansville
Detroit* W 81 70 10,605
Loyola/Ill.
at Duquesne
at La Salle
And your point is???
Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyergrad View Post
While I do think the schedule is a little on the soft side I think overall it is ok.

The reason I say this is that the road and neutral site games are very solid and winnable:
(Last years RPI in brackets)

at Toledo (186)
at Akron (69)
at Creighton (48)
Auburn (Chicago Invitational) (154)
Marquette (Chicago Invitational) (20)

There are some home games against very respectable programs:
UNC Greensboro (119)
Marshall (139)
George Mason (59)
Miami (Ohio) (81)

These buy games are against teams we are used to seeing as buy games and their RPI's are not to hateful.
Wofford (191)
Delaware State (207)
Troy (242)
Coppin State (232)

The problem with the schedule are these two games that UD did not schedule. They are part of the Chicago Invitational.
Bethune-Cookman (319)
Mercer (315)

Take away these two games and the schedule is not as bad as it looks.

Winning takes care of everything. UD beat Louisville and Pitt last year and went to the NIT. They just did not win enough. If UD wins enough games the RPI and the NCAA will take care of itself.

I actually think UD is very good at scheduling. Every year we have this discussion about a weak schedule but when it is all said and done the non-conference RPI looks pretty good.
This is an excellent post. Really puts it in perspective. We have two games we should not have scheduled but those came with the CIT so you take the good with the bad. The CIT in Chicago is the best part of the OOC and we should be able to get a descent RPI especially if we can pull off a win against Marquette and some of the other tough games. If the A10 is strong like last year with no teams in the 300 RPI range and most teams above 200 with 6 teams or better pushing 100 or better, we should come out fine, we just need to win.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

Big D is on a distinguished road
And your point is???
Just showing the steady decline in scheduling through the years for fans like Flyergrad who thinks the schedule "overall it is ok." I started with this year's schedule compared to OP's last schedule. After that I just posted the schedules for every 5 years. It's amazing how much less expensive tickets used to be and how much better the schedule was.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
A gallon of gas was alot cheaper 20 years ago but I don't think there is any cause and effect relationship with the home schedule.
I'm not longing to relive the 92-93 schedule anytime soon.

Last edited by Furio; 07-20-2008 at 03:40 PM..
Old 07-20-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Just showing the steady decline in scheduling through the years for fans like Flyergrad who thinks the schedule "overall it is ok." I started with this year's schedule compared to OP's last schedule. After that I just posted the schedules for every 5 years. It's amazing how much less expensive tickets used to be and how much better the schedule was.
Non-Con SOS for last 10 years - Seems to me there are ups and downs, but nothing that would be described as "steady decline". In fact the last 2 years were the strongest two consecutive years of the group.

1999 - 24
2000 - 109
2001 - 68
2002 - 112
2003 - 23
2004 - 144
2005 - 99
2006 - 164
2007 - 26
2008 - 28
Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Non-Con SOS for last 10 years - Seems to me there are ups and downs, but nothing that would be described as "steady decline". In fact the last 2 years were the strongest two consecutive years of the group.

1999 - 24
2000 - 109
2001 - 68
2002 - 112
2003 - 23
2004 - 144
2005 - 99
2006 - 164
2007 - 26
2008 - 28
Great post. As you can see, perception of some and reality are not matching up. The ranking numbers in BG's tenure match the OP years. Where is that steady decline again?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Great post. As you can see, perception of some and reality are not matching up. The ranking numbers in BG's tenure match the OP years. Where is that steady decline again?
The decline he is probably attempting to reference is in the dissappearance of UC,Notre Dame, Marquette, and Depaul. After those teams over the years moved to the Big East they no longer scheduled UD. Has nothing to do with ticket prices
Old 07-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Captain

The schedule overall is OK. I would like for there to be more big games but I understand the situation. I understand some years the schedule will be better than others. And most importantly I don't need some WSU fan explaining anything to me!

Also, I am not some homer that feels the Flyers can do no wrong. My biggest gripe with the schedule is that there are very few Saturday games. I just don't get why they are doing that.

I laid out why the schedule is ok in my eyes. I don't see how anybody, if they don't have an agenda, will not understand my position. They don't have to agree with it. Plus your idea of a declining schedule has already been blown up. I'll bet the schedule strength when it is all said and done is not as bad as it seems. I think UD is better at scheduling than many think. People on this board and other teams boards were critical of the schedule the last 2 years and look at the numbers posted above. Its a broken record and it gets old.

Last edited by Flyergrad; 07-20-2008 at 07:15 PM..
Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Captain

UD69 - Hi ya from Skip69

1999 - 24
2000 - 109
2001 - 68
2002 - 112
2003 - 23
2004 - 144
2005 - 99
2006 - 164
2007 - 26
2008 - 28
Good info. Thank you for bringing this thread back to the beginning where I did not like THIS year's HOME non conf sch - not overall schedule or overall non conf schedule. I agree that there is no noticeable drop off, but really no improvement either. Other than last two years we have rotated between 2 digit and 3 digit SOS. And '99 and '03 were better than either of the last two and '06 was terrible.

My point is that this year's is worse. Any bets that this year's SOS will not be lower than 3 digits? Worse yet, there are more games in this year's poorer schedule to go see (in good and bad weather as I do as well). Even better, though, what if we run the table with this schedule and are so-so in the A10, but get into the tourney? Bet the home non conf gets better the following year? Nope.

For those of you who continually make the same comment when anyone complains about the value of the games, like "put your money where your mouth is and give them up, others are waiting in line" ... I can complain and still be a Flyer Fanatic without being a mindless fan who just loves to pay more for less. That's why I started the thread to see how many actual season ticket holders who do fork out the bucks feel about the schedule. Many of the posters did not state whether or not they were, so I am ignoring those comments as irrelevant to my post.

BTW, my tickets will be going to my kids someday, so don't hold your breath for mine!!!!!!!!!

Still a Flyer Fanatic
Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Captain

Skip,
I am a season ticket holder and have been for a long time.

I respect your position and also wish there were more "name" games.

Like I said before I am not a homer but I respect this program and the people who are running it. I have full confidence that this is either the best they could do or that they feel this schedule best fits what the program needs at this time.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Captain

Thx

Originally Posted by Flyergrad View Post
Skip,
I am a season ticket holder and have been for a long time.

I respect your position and also wish there were more "name" games.

Like I said before I am not a homer but I respect this program and the people who are running it. I have full confidence that this is either the best they could do or that they feel this schedule best fits what the program needs at this time.
And Go Flyers ... now, who are we recruiting? Hope we get Payne!!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:24 PM

1999 - 24
2000 - 109
2001 - 68
2002 - 112
2003 - 23
2004 - 144
2005 - 99
2006 - 164
2007 - 26
2008 - 28
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
The decline he is probably attempting to reference is in the dissappearance of UC,Notre Dame, Marquette, and Depaul. After those teams over the years moved to the Big East they no longer scheduled UD. Has nothing to do with ticket prices
(1) Bingo!

(2) Bingo!

(3) Bingo!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
schedule schmedule

We are season ticket holders, and attend the games to see our Flyers, not our opponents. There are no opponents I am so enamored with that I'd rather see them than our Flyers (ie: playing a bigger name on the road thsn a lesser name at home.)

WE ARE FLYER FANS!!!!! to heck with everyone else!!!

A big name only adds to the value of our seats, this schedule does not detract from it.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Academy Doolie

XUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these parts
UD's schedule is not that bad. UD took the good with the bad in the Chicago Tourney, they get two BCS teams and two crappy teams. A game at Creighton is brutal and the committee knows how hard it is to win there. I agree with a lot of Dayton posters, the Troy game is the one that makes you think a little bit. There had to have been a high mid-major/lower BCS school that would have been willing to play a home and home with UD starting at their place. UD needed one more quality opponent.

In order for UD to make the tourney they need a top 4 finish in the A-10, 23-24 wins going into the A-10 tourney and a semi-final, finals showing in the A-10 tourney.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Colonel

Do we have confirmation that the Troy game will be returned?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Been on vacation, and kind of glad reading some of the threads.

A few things to keep in mind:

Buy games are getting much more expensive, as more teams fill out schedules with one way home games. You used to be able to buy a MAC game for about $25K. That is now at about $60K. Sun Belt teams are getting close to $50K for one way dates. Don't expect the quality of one way games to improve substantially.

The schedule needed another series, maybe two, to be what it should be. I doubt those series are going to be against BCS football conference members on anything other than infrequently until Dayton makes it past the first weekend of the NCAA and is thought of as a worthy home and home. There are at best a handful of those teams right now.

The Chicago Invitational home games are what really sets the schedule back. Would have preferred those extra home games be used to add a series starting on the road. One thing though, I'm not sure those Chicago games are typical home games. I have to believe the promoter of the event takes a big chunk of the receipts, perhaps the largest share of the receipts. The share of the home game gate is probably where they make their money.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Do we have confirmation that the Troy game will be returned?
Not sure, but I heard we are into heavy negotiations with Furman for 2009-10.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
Not sure, but I heard we are into heavy negotiations with Furman for 2009-10.
Just say no to Andy Furman.

The Troy St. rumor doesn't appear to be valid: Link:http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArtic...ATCLID=1515094

I want no part of Team Andy Furman:
Starting at SG No. 1 Andy Furman at SG No. 1 Bill Cunningham at SG No. 1 Mike Hartsock at SG No. 1 Don Brown
Playing Defense is Tony Montana- Nobody gets past half court alive.

Last edited by Furio; 07-21-2008 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Many good points have been made above concerning our OOC schedule. To me it's simple: we just graduated one of the most prolific point producers in Flyer history and we're bringing aboard five new players who will surely be counted on to shoulder some of the load.

Given the circumstances, a tough schedule would be unwise.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Tman lowered the level of discussion on this board from debate to insult. Good riddance.

Did I miss something, and if so, where did this happen?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Major General

Phinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to behold
One year does not a program make, granted I'm not a season ticket holder (moved away from Dayton) but even if I were I'd still go to every game and cheer just as hard. I'm there to see the Flyers win, yeah it's neat to see the big names on the other jersey but what is that phrase used a lot around here? It's not the name on the front of the jersey that matters ....
Old 07-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
The Troy St. rumor doesn't appear to be valid: Link:http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArtic...ATCLID=1515094
And what part of that article makes the rumor invalid? All we know is that Troy is visiting Dayton in 2008-09. We still have no confirmation either way if Dayton visits Troy in 2009-10.

John
Old 07-21-2008, 02:06 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Figgie...Troy series, no way!

Unlike the UD press release, the Troy release is quite informative. What makes clear that the Troy game is one way is the detail found in the Troy release describing series opponents.

When UD schedules a Troy for a series we know that we've given up.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
And what part of that article makes the rumor invalid? All we know is that Troy is visiting Dayton in 2008-09. We still have no confirmation either way if Dayton visits Troy in 2009-10.

John
Because at the beginning of the press release they spell out two new schools which they have new home and home deals with UD not in that list.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Unlike the UD press release, the Troy release is quite informative. What makes clear that the Troy game is one way is the detail found in the Troy release describing series opponents.

When UD schedules a Troy for a series we know that we've given up.
Hey, I'm not saying that I'd like to see a Troy home-and-home, but it doesn't specifically state that we are not a home-and-home. They state they are home-and-home series with UAB because they are only 2 hours away. (Closest Div I rival, maybe?) It would be like UD issuing a press release stating our home-and-home series with Ohio State, and not mentioning a home-and-home with Northern Illinois. To us, OSU is a big home-and-home important event, and Northern Illinois, not so much.

I keep wondering if it's possible Marshall is a home-and-home, as well as Creighton. Maybe UNC Greensboro, too? Nothing is to say that a home-and-home doesn't have to start at UD Arena. Again, we just haven't been informed of such.

I also find it interesting as I add official schedules to my database for 2008-09, how many home games certain teams are at home, versus away. Mercer, for instance, 3 home, 7 away. UCLA, 6 home, 2 away, and a tournament. I'm not sure how the money works, just by what gets inferred here, but does a home-and-home not have a money transfer, where as a buy game does? That must be why these small schools must travel for 75% of their non-conference schedule, and the big schools do not want to leave home court.

John
Old 07-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Because at the beginning of the press release they spell out two new schools which they have new home and home deals with UD not in that list.
Lack of stating such, does not guarantee it is not such.

If I say I am from Dayton, can you assume it is Ohio?

Maybe when UD releases the A10 game dates, they might mention exactly which games are which. Or maybe if TK shows up at Flyer Feedback on WHIO, someone can ask which ones are home-and-home series. (Would he even divulge that?)

John
Old 07-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Hey, I'm not saying that I'd like to see a Troy home-and-home, but it doesn't specifically state that we are not a home-and-home. They state they are home-and-home series with UAB because they are only 2 hours away. (Closest Div I rival, maybe?) It would be like UD issuing a press release stating our home-and-home series with Ohio State, and not mentioning a home-and-home with Northern Illinois. To us, OSU is a big home-and-home important event, and Northern Illinois, not so much.

I keep wondering if it's possible Marshall is a home-and-home, as well as Creighton. Maybe UNC Greensboro, too? Nothing is to say that a home-and-home doesn't have to start at UD Arena. Again, we just haven't been informed of such.

I also find it interesting as I add official schedules to my database for 2008-09, how many home games certain teams are at home, versus away. Mercer, for instance, 3 home, 7 away. UCLA, 6 home, 2 away, and a tournament. I'm not sure how the money works, just by what gets inferred here, but does a home-and-home not have a money transfer, where as a buy game does? That must be why these small schools must travel for 75% of their non-conference schedule, and the big schools do not want to leave home court.

John
The Troy press release also announces UNC Wilmington home and home.
We know Creighton is home and home. I would guess Marshall (CUSA) replaced
SMU as a home and home. UNC Greensboro plays in a very small gym so I doubt them.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Series opponents....

Quoting from TK's "New Realities 2007..." "Series games need to be against the perennially successful teams from `multiple-bid' leagues..."

Jeff Sagarin ranks conferences in `07/`08 as follows: The Big 6, 7 A10, 8 MVC, 9 MW, 10 C-USA, 11 Horrizon, 12 MAC.....Clearly, our preference would be series with MVC, MW, C-USA teams, even though those conferences do not always have multiple bid teams in the Dance. Additionally, there are relatively weak conferences that have one or more very strong programs, e.g., Gonzaga St. Mary's (and San Diego) in the West Coast, Davidson in the Southern (a PFL school).

Also, there are schools that simply are desirable opponents, e.g. Holy Cross in the 21st ranked Pat League.

And, there is no doubt that the Horrizon League has a few solid, natural opponents. But, the trouble with scheduling series with HL teams is that lack of a series with "you-know-who" would then be hard to explain.

There is a psychological angle to this as well. "Name" schools with relatively poor basketball programs would be welcomed by the Faithful and by those on this board. Would anyone complain if we had a series with Penn State or Northwestern?....I think not. Those names look good on the OOC schedule, plain and simple. Moreover, beating a Penn State or NU on the road is not easy. And neither school's coach is going to lose his job because a loss to Dayton kept him out of the Dance. Indeed, in its history Northwestern has yet to play in the NCAA tournament;....sad but true. In this context, SMU didn't look bad on our schedule.

As for the suggestion that UD may be considering a series with Furman....last year Furman finished 289 out of about 330 Div 1 programs.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Quoting from TK's "New Realities 2007..." "Series games need to be against the perennially successful teams from `multiple-bid' leagues..."

Jeff Sagarin ranks conferences in `07/`08 as follows: The Big 6, 7 A10, 8 MVC, 9 MW, 10 C-USA, 11 Horrizon, 12 MAC.....Clearly, our preference would be series with MVC, MW, C-USA teams, even though those conferences do not always have multiple bid teams in the Dance. Additionally, there are relatively weak conferences that have one or more very strong programs, e.g., Gonzaga St. Mary's (and San Diego) in the West Coast, Davidson in the Southern (a PFL school).

Also, there are schools that simply are desirable opponents, e.g. Holy Cross in the 21st ranked Pat League.

And, there is no doubt that the Horrizon League has a few solid, natural opponents. But, the trouble with scheduling series with HL teams is that lack of a series with "you-know-who" would then be hard to explain.

There is a psychological angle to this as well. "Name" schools with relatively poor basketball programs would be welcomed by the Faithful and by those on this board. Would anyone complain if we had a series with Penn State or Northwestern?....I think not. Those names look good on the OOC schedule, plain and simple. Moreover, beating a Penn State or NU on the road is not easy. And neither school's coach is going to lose his job because a loss to Dayton kept him out of the Dance. Indeed, in its history Northwestern has yet to play in the NCAA tournament;....sad but true. In this context, SMU didn't look bad on our schedule.

As for the suggestion that UD may be considering a series with Furman....last year Furman finished 289 out of about 330 Div 1 programs.

What we do know is Akron,Miami Toledo are home and home all from the MAC
Creighton from the MVC and George Mason from the Colonial
RPI wise MAC was 14th MVC was 6th Colonial 13th

Makes Marshall (CUSA 11th RPI) a much more likely candidate than
Troy Sunbelt (21st) or UNC Greensboro Southern (19th)
Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Series...

In my opinion, teams from conferences in the top 15, or so, will play only series games. I doubt if a MAC team will play UD without a return game. Likewise C-USA, which is why the Marshall game has to be start of a series.

What we should be complaining about is the lousy job the sports info dept did with the press release. No one should have to guess about things like this.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
skip-

if t-man had offered his opinion on the same adult rational manner you have, he'd still be posting right now. i quite honestly donr care what t-man thinks on UD basketball. Just like I dont care what anyone else thinks. Im just here to promote discussion for and against. But one is expected to do so with the common courtesy of respect to everyone involved. When someone cant make the small consolation of speaking an opinion with respect for all involved -- even in disagreement -- that tells me they have agendas not worth encapsulating on this Web site.
Yup. It becomes a conundrum when you have to start policing threads, deleting threads etc etc because one guy can't behave decently. It's much easier to erase the trouble maker than it is to take away otherwise very worthy threads. Trust me on this .... I got an earfull from both sides of this argument starting with the first X game this year. I think we've given these type of posters (t-man for instance) plenty of opportunities to behave.

Things to keep in mind:
The site does not run itself.
The site is inclusive of all ages and walks of life.
Respect for others and PRIDE in UD is of utmost importance.

Thanks for keeping it clean and adding to the discussions otherwise.

Last edited by Canonball; 07-21-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Captain

Where is ther line drawn? and two other thoughts

Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
Yup. It becomes a conundrum when you have to start policing threads, deleting threads etc etc because one guy can't behave decently. It's much easier to erase the trouble maker than it is to take away otherwise very worthy threads. Trust me on this .... I got an earfull from both sides of this argument starting with the first X game this year. I think we've given these type of posters (t-man for instance) plenty of opportunities to behave.

Things to keep in mind:

[I] still don't get it. I'm on this site fairly rwegularly and ghave seen many posts by TMan. Many disagree with what he had to say and personally criticizewd him for his beliefs. I didn't always agree with him, but enjoyed his viewpoints. Now, BB33 was pretty abusive with his language, but I guess I missed all of TMan's posts that were so bad.

Heck, I practically got into a "shouting match" with one poster several months ago and neither one of us got ousted (and maybe should have). So, where is the line? Or is it how many warnings? I never have gotten one.

BTW, regarding this thread I started, I want to re-emphasize that I am a die-hard UD fan and root for them at home and on the road. I rarely get to an away game (unless fairly close by). However, I cannot get real excited after a game where we've won against inferior opponents (and sometimes don't because we play "down" to the opposition). Yet I beam for days when we play and win (or even lose if we play well) to a quality opponent like a Louisville and Pitt. I'm getting older now and it seems that the chances of seeing home games like this are much fewer and far between than we deserve. Seems like every other year we say we are too young to play well against a major (like this year with BR gone), but I don't buy it and sure hope the players don't either. They will respond in most cases (especially if at home). Our home and home series must get better than it appears to be now (even though we can only guess who these opponents are). A couple of MAC are OK as I think they play decent basketball, but some of the others make me want to puke.

Finally, I stopped by the arena to try to use 3 coupons for the UNC Greensboro game. I wanted to upgrade and pay the difference for 200 level seats and was told they couldn't be used that way - only for 400 level - even though I offered to pay the difference. Nothing on the coupons state anything at all on the use other than on games before end of Dec. (excl GM) as long as tickets are available. So, one could argue that these should apply to 200 level also without even asking to pay the difference. Again, why wouldn't the Admin be willing to accommodate season ticket holders if the tickets were available and the revenue would be the same? Also, anyone notice that the only game where 200 level seats are not available is Troy????? How can that be?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Captain

Where is the line drawn? and two other thoughts

Things to keep in mind:

I still don't get it. I'm on this site fairly regularly and have seen many posts by TMan. Many disagree with what he had to say and personally criticized him for his beliefs. I didn't always agree with him, but enjoyed his viewpoints. Now, BB33 was pretty abusive with his language, but I guess I missed all of TMan's posts that were so bad.

Heck, I practically got into a "shouting match" with one poster several months ago and neither one of us got ousted (and maybe should have). So, where is the line? Or is it how many warnings? I never have gotten one.

BTW, regarding this thread I started, I want to re-emphasize that I am a die-hard UD fan and root for them at home and on the road. I rarely get to an away game (unless fairly close by). However, I cannot get real excited after a game where we've won against inferior opponents (and sometimes don't because we play "down" to the opposition). Yet I beam for days when we play and win (or even lose if we play well) to a quality opponent like a Louisville and Pitt. I'm getting older now and it seems that the chances of seeing home games like this are much fewer and far between than we deserve. Seems like every other year we say we are too young to play well against a major (like this year with BR gone), but I don't buy it and sure hope the players don't either. They will respond in most cases (especially if at home). Our home and home series must get better than it appears to be now (even though we can only guess who these opponents are). A couple of MAC are OK as I think they play decent basketball, but some of the others games make me want to puke.

Finally, I stopped by the arena to try to use 3 coupons for the UNC Greensboro game. I wanted to upgrade and pay the difference for 200 level seats and was told they couldn't be used that way - only for 400 level - even though I offered to pay the difference. Nothing on the coupons state anything at all on the use other than on games before end of Dec. (excl GM) as long as tickets are available. So, one could argue that these should apply to 200 level also without even asking to pay the difference. Again, why wouldn't the Admin be willing to accommodate season ticket holders if the tickets were available and the revenue would be the same? Also, anyone notice that the only game where 200 level seats are not available in the non conf home schedule is Troy????? How can that be since they close to being the worst on the schedule?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Our home and home series must get better than it appears to be now (even though we can only guess who these opponents are). A couple of MAC are OK as I think they play decent basketball, but some of the others make me want to puke.
What home-and-home series make you want to puke?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Captain

I corrected post

I reposted (forgot to edit) to clarify as other home non conf games (Troy, Bethune Cookman. Mercer, Troy, Coppin State, and the two to get into the Chicago tourney). That's 7 of the 11 that some be upgraded somehow with home and home series against some mid major programs in the same scheduling dilemna as we are (or 5 of 9 if you take out Wofford and Delaware State).
Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Colonel

Finally, I stopped by the arena to try to use 3 coupons for the UNC Greensboro game. I wanted to upgrade and pay the difference for 200 level seats and was told they couldn't be used that way - only for 400 level - even though I offered to pay the difference. Nothing on the coupons state anything at all on the use other than on games before end of Dec. (excl GM) as long as tickets are available. So, one could argue that these should apply to 200 level also without even asking to pay the difference. Again, why wouldn't the Admin be willing to accommodate season ticket holders if the tickets were available and the revenue would be the same? Also, anyone notice that the only game where 200 level seats are not available in the non conf home schedule is Troy????? How can that be since they close to being the worst on the schedule?
At this time of the year how is the administration going to know for sure what seats if any are going to be available in the 200 level areas.
I think you are too early in your request.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:30 PM

Also, anyone notice that the only game where 200 level seats are not available in the non conf home schedule is Troy????? How can that be since they close to being the worst on the schedule?
Just curious, what coupons are you talking about? And how do you know there are no 200 level seats available for the Troy game? Am I missing something?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Colonel

Troy game is Dec 2. School would still be in session therefore student section seats can't be sold until you know if any will not be used.
The games later in the month usually will have tickets available because students are gone on break.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Crossing the line??

I am amazed that anyone would question how and where certain posters have crossed the line of intolerable rant. After a season, and particularly a post-season, of personally directed repeated attacks on specific individuals and/or each and every decision the basketball execs make, there can be little doubt that certain posters have LEAPED over the line time and time again. And to conclude the rant with, "But I really like Ted" after the damage has been done for the 100th time, doesn't resonate with sincerity.

The old saying, "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it", rings in my head. If there is a poster on this board that doesn't know if he/she is crossing the line into the category of repeatedly offensive and low class attacks on the program, it's coaches and AD by name , you probably already have.

People need to understand that those kind of published attacks tend to escalate and eventually have brought some pretty good fan websites to their knees.

God bless our board stakeholders for not allowing that to happen here.

-------------

To the schedule, it is what it is. Not unlike the stock market from year to year--ups and downs. There were some pretty puny schedules in the early Blackburn days that no one even remembered after the program got rolling. You looked at the schedule and said, "Aw ****" and then went to the Fieldhouse and cheered your heart out. No boycotts, no calling for heads, no idle threats, no publishing your disgust in the Dayton Journal Herald or the Dayton Daily News under an assumed name.

Let's play ball.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 07-22-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM

Also, anyone notice that the only game where 200 level seats are not available in the non conf home schedule is Troy????? How can that be since they close to being the worst on the schedule?
Troy game is Dec 2. School would still be in session therefore student section seats can't be sold until you know if any will not be used.
The games later in the month usually will have tickets available because students are gone on break.
True. I should have asked why does he say the Troy game is the ONLY one where 200 seats are not available. I wouldn't think they would be available for the first few games either, depending on when the Thanksgiving break starts.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I-------------

To the schedule, it is what it is. Not unlike the stock market from year to year--ups and downs. There were some pretty puny schedules in the early Blackburn days that no one even remembered after the program got rolling. You looked at the schedule and said, "Aw ****" and then went to the Fieldhouse and cheered your heart out. No boycotts, no calling for heads, no idle threats, no publishing your disgust in the Dayton Journal Herald or the Dayton Daily News under an assumed name.

Let's play ball.

I'm with sdf on this one. the harder schedules of the past 2 years got us nowhere.

all that really matters is feb and march. so, while not "exciting" in comparable terms of big ooc games and espn hoopla -- perhaps we dial it down a notch from nov - dec 31. and turn it up some notches from jan 1 thru the final 8!

well, you know what i mean.... hehehe. Play ball Man. Let's play ball!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Toledo. Oh wait, I already puked.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Captain

Checklist form mailed to season ticket holders with their ticket invoice

True. I should have asked why does he say the Troy game is the ONLY one where 200 seats are not available. I wouldn't think they would be available for the first few games either, depending on when the Thanksgiving break starts.
UD web site says that individual games can be ordered later for non season ticket holders. The checklist sent has no date and I've ordered other years as soon as I got the form. In fact, I ordered tickets now for Miami (not part of the coupon booklet. The form has a column for 200 and one for 400 level seats. It is blank for conference games. Earlier games than Troy, even though students are in session are shown with 200 level available. Troy, though, is blank.

I believe i can order now and should be able to get 200 level. I sent an email to the ticket office about this. Will let everyone know when I get an answer.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Captain

See later post also

Just curious, what coupons are you talking about? And how do you know there are no 200 level seats available for the Troy game? Am I missing something?
Coupon booklet and extra games order checklist came with the ticket invoice (I received mine Monday).

I submitted the checklist when I ordfered only the Miami game (not part of coupon offers as it is in Jan.).
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Coupon booklet and extra games order checklist came with the ticket invoice (I received mine Monday).

I submitted the checklist when I ordfered only the Miami game (not part of coupon offers as it is in Jan.).
ok, thanks. Didn't realize the invoices had been sent out. I haven't received mine yet. Maybe I'll get it today.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Colonel

ok, thanks. Didn't realize the invoices had been sent out. I haven't received mine yet. Maybe I'll get it today.
Mine hasn't arrived either. Cliff Clavin is too busy l reading my mail.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
My invoice

Mine came yesterday, but I paid by phone on Monday because I had to call the office about something. They told me all invoices went out on friday, so you should get it soon. It appears that they did not charge me the $5 handling fee over the phone, but that may have been in error???Not sure.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
Toledo. Oh wait, I already puked.
I'm not thrilled with the Toledo series, but it's not garbage. They were regular season MAC Champs in 06-07, and since 03-04 won 20 games two other years and went to two NIT's. It gives us a chance for a pretty decent road win. But I don't think we should be having three home-and-homes with MAC teams at the same time. I have stated several times we should get more MVC teams. Maybe we tried and couldn't get one other than Creighton. Someone stated that Southern Illinois would play us only after we made the NCAA. Maybe true, maybe not.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Colonel

UD web site says that individual games can be ordered later for non season ticket holders. The checklist sent has no date and I've ordered other years as soon as I got the form. In fact, I ordered tickets now for Miami (not part of the coupon booklet. The form has a column for 200 and one for 400 level seats. It is blank for conference games. Earlier games than Troy, even though students are in session are shown with 200 level available. Troy, though, is blank.

I believe i can order now and should be able to get 200 level. I sent an email to the ticket office about this. Will let everyone know when I get an answer.
My invoice and info came today. Under the Miami game at the 200 level it says N/A
as in not available. N/A is also listed for the 200 level for Wofford, Bethune Cookman, Troy,Miami, and all the conference games. The only thing I can think of is you received an order form that was old and/or contained errors in it.
The coupon book has the catch all phrase "Seating subject to availablity"
The seats you want may become available at a later date when the student ticket pickups are completed.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Not so much a line

The way that I have always tried to handle this is the following:

Initially just delete the offending post .... reason for deletion will be listed within the thread.

If it continues or when there is a lot of responses to the initial post and it's out of control the entire thread gets knocked out. Again the reason is given within the deleted thread information.

If the poster has an issue with the deletion any one of the moderators are available via email to give further explanation.

If the offender continues I typically will send a personal email to the offender and say essentially "this is your shot across the bow".

This may or may not coincide with other processes of discipline taken by Chris. Usually when it'd chronic the offender gets banned. Yes tman's offenses are chronic. He can be reasonable but he historically is one of the first to take the discussion down to personal insult ... hence he's no longer with us.

It's not like you say one thing wrong and the cord gets yanked. Essentially play by the rules, don't be offensive, and don't make it personal. We all understand a drunken rant from time to time. It happens and is tolerated for the most part. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask or send an email.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Captain

Thanks

The way that I have always tried to handle this is the following:

Initially just delete the offending post .... reason for deletion will be listed within the thread.

If it continues or when there is a lot of responses to the initial post and it's out of control the entire thread gets knocked out. Again the reason is given within the deleted thread information.

If the poster has an issue with the deletion any one of the moderators are available via email to give further explanation.

If the offender continues I typically will send a personal email to the offender and say essentially "this is your shot across the bow".

This may or may not coincide with other processes of discipline taken by Chris. Usually when it'd chronic the offender gets banned. Yes tman's offenses are chronic. He can be reasonable but he historically is one of the first to take the discussion down to personal insult ... hence he's no longer with us.

It's not like you say one thing wrong and the cord gets yanked. Essentially play by the rules, don't be offensive, and don't make it personal. We all understand a drunken rant from time to time. It happens and is tolerated for the most part. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask or send an email.

Thanks
Thx for the clarifications ... I'll try not to post when I'm drunk.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Colonel

I reposted (forgot to edit) to clarify as other home non conf games (Troy, Bethune Cookman. Mercer, Troy, Coppin State, and the two to get into the Chicago tourney). That's 7 of the 11 that some be upgraded somehow with home and home series against some mid major programs in the same scheduling dilemna as we are (or 5 of 9 if you take out Wofford and Delaware State).
Bethune-Cookman and Mercer are the games for the CIT. Wofford and Delaware State are buy games, both which should be good openers for us with all the new personel we have.

I did a little looking into Marshall, I think this is going to be a very good home and home series. They have a very good recruiting class this year and had a decent one last year. They picked up an exceptional point guard (Damier Pitts). They also have some good size inside so we will not be able to dominate them physically. They also picked up Shaquille Johnson, so it will be interesting see him play. Marshall appears to be putting effort into their program and will very likely be a very tough opponent on the road.

Anyway, I only really see 6 gimmies on the schedule and two came with the CIT (you mentioned Troy twice while you were tallying).