User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
17-18 Season Review (1/18/18)

Mo Egger summed up UD's season really well in his blog today.

https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured...gs-macks-mark/

"Dayton is a team with no clear identity and few identifiable strengths. They're capable of playing well together for tantalizingly short stretches, but not nearly good enough to sustain any kind of success.

And the coaching staff seems a little slow to adjust to what the opponent is doing.

Anthony Grant walked into a tough situation, replacing a popular, successful coach with most of the program's mainstays having moved on. It would've been unfair to expect another NCAA Tournament appearance this season, but I did hope that by now, I'd be seeing enough improvement to make me think that the final month and a half could be interesting."
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-18-2018), udflyerfan (01-18-2018)
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Mo Egger summed up UD's season really well in his blog today.

https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured...gs-macks-mark/

"Dayton is a team with no clear identity and few identifiable strengths. They're capable of playing well together for tantalizingly short stretches, but not nearly good enough to sustain any kind of success.

And the coaching staff seems a little slow to adjust to what the opponent is doing.

Anthony Grant walked into a tough situation, replacing a popular, successful coach with most of the program's mainstays having moved on. It would've been unfair to expect another NCAA Tournament appearance this season, but I did hope that by now, I'd be seeing enough improvement to make me think that the final month and a half could be interesting."
Agree, we are not getting better.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Well, we knew going into this year Dayton was young and inexperienced. When you are young and experienced, you are generally inconsistent. What's happened has been pretty predictable really. Perhaps I am just overly pessimistic but how terrible Dayton has played at times has not been surprising to me. But I have been surprised with how good they have actually shown they can be (i.e. VCU). Now if one of those good flashes could somehow show up and sustain for the duration of the A10 tourney... that would be sweet. But if I were summing it up, I think I'd just say "Dayton is who we should have expected them to be this year."
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Well, we knew going into this year Dayton was young and inexperienced. When you are young and experienced, you are generally inconsistent. What's happened has been pretty predictable really. Perhaps I am just overly pessimistic but how terrible Dayton has played at times has not been surprising to me. But I have been surprised with how good they have actually shown they can be (i.e. VCU). Now if one of those good flashes could somehow show up and sustain for the duration of the A10 tourney... that would be sweet. But if I were summing it up, I think I'd just say "Dayton is who we should have expected them to be this year."
By this point of the season I expected them to have become more consistent and to have shown more of a defined direction. Instead I see no direction.

The most consistent thing the Flyers do is stay inconsistent.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:23 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Yes and no. I certainly expected this level of inconsistency from the incoming freshman. I did not expect DD to score at the level he has been, although it is often a tease, as he is just as apt to disappear or make such boneheaded plays you don't expect a senior to make. I expected Josh to be a stud, and he has been, and would be even more if we'd get him the da*n ball. I did not expect X to lose it as bad as he has. He's probably the most baffling of all the players. Doesn't matter if the system changed, that doesn't impact effort and desire, and he is lacking in those traits right now.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Hugely disappointed with X Williams. if the guy could even shoot 40% and be less selfish.....

He was a key cog this year. As was possibly Kostas/Svoboda. Kostas will be fine in a year.... Svodoba very hard to tell.

Last edited by Flyer 86; 01-18-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Hugely disappointed with X Williams. if the guy could even shoot 40% and be less selfish.....

He was a key cog this year. As was either Kostas/Svoboda. Kostas will be fine in a year.... Svodoba very hard to tell.
I think X is the heart and soul of many problems with this team. My expectations were so high - at least all A-10, and he has been completely lost on the court. Watch him sometime; he is always looking down at the floor. He does not box out; his outside shot is slow and clunky; and his decision-making is in the toilet. I truly expected him to be our best player this year - thought maybe 14 p.p.g. and 8 rebounds. Instead what we have, and I mentioned this in the duration of the last night's game, a player who does not look worthy of D-1 basketball.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-18-2018)