UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Who hurt My Flyers the most this afternoon?
Cunningham; fouls and not taking charge the last 1:30 6 11.76%
Landers; fouls and not taking charge the last 1:30 1 1.96%
DDavis; needed more Senior leadership and confidence 11 21.57%
JDavis; 3/10 and 2/7 (3s) shooting 8 15.69%
Crutcher; fouls and 3/13 (1/7 3s) shooting 22 43.14%
Svoboda; If you're going to play, you have to do something 2 3.92%
Kostas; clutch FTs would have helped 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,874 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Golden 30-Sec Shot Clock Violation Award - VCU#3

With a 5 point lead and the ball, you need run the clock, we all get that. But you don't run the clock to f'in 0 and chuck up and airball an off balance 3 or in the lane leaner...UGH!!! The purpose of running the clock is to get a good shot LATE in the shotclock but for some stinking reason teams - like UD today- assume it means getting a shot isn't important. As soon as you hit 10, you look for a shot...at 7 sec, you need to drive and shoot...if it gets to 3 and you're lost, then why are you on the court? Cunningham, for all his talents, needed to drive and shoot...not pass. Those 2 possessions were the most frustrating I can recall all season. UGH!

Regardless, the future looks bright. When you're late into an A10 tourney game and have 4 freshman and a sophomore on the court there's no other way to look at it...unless you're udscott or moddog...so let's stay positive! We'll be dancing in 2018-19...write it down. The King is an amateur prophet with an uncanny talent of always being right.

So let it be written...so let it be done!

As for the Golden Poll, W or L, someone has to take home the bling...so for today's loss we have to place the blame on someone whose play turned the royal tide against my Flyers. Everyone who played is fair game. Vote away.

Go Flyers!
Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), longtimefan67 (03-08-2018), Monster Man (03-08-2018), ruechalgrin (03-08-2018), TommyGola (03-08-2018)
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Voted for Jordan Davis because he missed many WIDE OPEN 3's....but looking forward to seeing him play the next three years. He'll hit the weight room and shoot 1000's of shots in the off season and come back as a monster next year.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BigMacFlyer (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Crutcher for me. He really put us in a hole, prevented us from crawling out of it and really kept us from having a successful 1st half. If he'd played average on offense we would've had a lead. I realize he's a freshman and is going to be great, but today he hurt us and I'm guessing he won't get the vote because no matter what, he's better than Crosby.

One other point I have to get off my chest. How many times this season have we had a 3 on one break and not passed it off for the easy basket. This actually has been getting worse ever since Sibert graduated and this year was the most pathetic. I hate the selfishness of it.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-08-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I voted for Cunningham for 1 royal reason...when the game is on the line the best player on your team has to want the ball. He doesn't. Hasn't all year. And I don't get it. Hopefully next season he'll be hungry and understand that he's our go-to player. If not, then get the ball to Trey because we all know he'll gladly do what leader's do...carry their team!

Cunningham...UGH!
Gazoo (03-08-2018), Larymike (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:00 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I voted for Cunningham for 1 royal reason...when the game is on the line the best player on your team has to want the ball. He doesn't. Hasn't all year. And I don't get it. Hopefully next season he'll be hungry and understand that he's our go-to player. If not, then get the ball to Trey because we all know he'll gladly do what leader's do...carry their team!

Cunningham...UGH!
Well King, he certainly did the first game of the season. Maybe not as much since not sure..
Old 03-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Well King, he certainly did the first game of the season. Maybe not as much since not sure..
With 0.9 sec left vs Ball State, he had no choice but to shoot. Today he had options and chose to pass. Royally unacceptable....especially with fresh legs after sitting for a couple minutes.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:08 PM
General

Also gotta say that Svoboda played pretty good defense during the stretch that Josh was on the bench toward the end so I don't see how he should get a vote today. He's pretty useless otherwise and will be interesting to see how he and Mikesell are used next season.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Had to vote for Crutcher. Getting a technical foul and then a quick fourth foul really put us in a bind.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), jack72 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't vote for any freshman because Jalen Crutcher has far exceeded my expectations for the year. The shots just weren't falling today and its been a long season for he and Jordan Davis. They both simply ran out of gas! I voted for Cunningham for the same reason rollo did!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:20 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't think we ever had a 5 point lead and the ball.

Key moment in the game -

We are up 5 and VCU calls a timeout in front of their bench with 3:01 left. To this point in the game, the upcoming defensive possession is the single most important defensive possession for the Flyers. We are down to a single timeout left. Regardless of who has 4 fouls, I want my best defensive team on the floor and I want to play my best defensive format - be it man-to-man or zone. However, we come out of the timeout without Cunningham and DD on the floor. I know they have 4 fouls, but we have the lead and if we give up a bucket (which we did) they also are our best offensive options.

VCU hits a trey to cut the lead to 2. The absolute worst possible event. Now, we are hurting on offense. Grant fails to call a timeout to get his best offensive team on the floor. We end up with a shot clock violation at 2:16. Now we bring in DD and Josh. Everything is headed downhill.

Sigh.......
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BigMacFlyer (03-08-2018), Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), Jeff (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:27 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Anthony Grant gets this one. Not playing for the 2 for 1 at the end. Not attacking the basket when the team was in the bonus. The offense on the two shot clock violations
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-09-2018), udscott (03-09-2018), WarriorPride (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
I vote for we had alot of Underclassmen playing a TON of minutes and we will play like a veteran team next year without BEING a veteran team.

We knew this year would be rough. Let AG trim the fat and look to next year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018), UD62 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo, I wish you would have had an "Other" radio button. I would have wrote in the 3 players who let Dayton down the most; Is it too late to add that as an option?

I streamed the game at work and unbelievably, lost the stream at the 3:01 mark with UD up by 5. 3-4 minutes later and it reconnects with 49 seconds and down by 2. smh...I see a bright future unlike the select few that go off every time UD loses. Tough year but I think AG played the right card this year and played for the future.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Also gotta say that Svoboda played pretty good defense during the stretch that Josh was on the bench toward the end so I don't see how he should get a vote today. He's pretty useless otherwise and will be interesting to see how he and Mikesell are used next season.
He's not useless. I'm glad he came and hope he stays. I think he had a tough year adjustment to the US college game. He was more useful than 2 other knuckleheads who chose not to engage and not play. Kudos to AG for honoring the commitment. I think in the end Svoboda proves you wrong.

Mikesell will be healthy. He'll play smart and better defense than ever now that he can play pain free.

This is a strong team next year and we still have a few scholy's left to give.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Academy Doolie

ChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really nice
Crutcher had a great year, but he's not a freshman anymore. Today he played like one.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Don't think we ever had a 5 point lead and the ball.

Key moment in the game -

We are up 5 and VCU calls a timeout in front of their bench with 3:01 left. To this point in the game, the upcoming defensive possession is the single most important defensive possession for the Flyers. We are down to a single timeout left. Regardless of who has 4 fouls, I want my best defensive team on the floor and I want to play my best defensive format - be it man-to-man or zone. However, we come out of the timeout without Cunningham and DD on the floor. I know they have 4 fouls, but we have the lead and if we give up a bucket (which we did) they also are our best offensive options.

VCU hits a trey to cut the lead to 2. The absolute worst possible event. Now, we are hurting on offense. Grant fails to call a timeout to get his best offensive team on the floor. We end up with a shot clock violation at 2:16. Now we bring in DD and Josh. Everything is headed downhill.

Sigh.......
Did we have a timeout left at that point?

On Svoboda, I think he actually has a pretty good idea of defensive principles, I think he is just too slow to execute. He obviously needs get faster in the off season.
T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
He's not useless. I'm glad he came and hope he stays. I think he had a tough year adjustment to the US college game. He was more useful than 2 other knuckleheads who chose not to engage and not play. Kudos to AG for honoring the commitment. I think in the end Svoboda proves you wrong.

Mikesell will be healthy. He'll play smart and better defense than ever now that he can play pain free.

Boy I hope you are right, but all the evidence leans the other way. Svoboda was the worst player in a bad team. I can't think of anytime he was a real asset to us all year. Don't expect a miraculous upgrade in his game next year. He's slow, can't drive or shoot. The stats bear this out.

Counting on Miksell.... Hope you are right but he wasn't a star before. Helpless on d before, and we sure need defensive help.

Will our two freshmen guards improve. Probably, but doubt their ability to get us back to respectability next year. Today was telling, against a not very strong opponent. Neither man got to the line. They settled for jumpshots because they can't penetrate. Maybe Cohill can but he's a freshmen.

Unless Topin is a real player, and/orAG can land some solid grad transfers. We will be hanging with Duquesne and Fordham in the pit of misery again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
WarriorPride (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Boy I hope you are right, but all the evidence leans the other way. Svoboda was the worst player in a bad team. I can't think of anytime he was a real asset to us all year. Don't expect a miraculous upgrade in his game next year. He's slow, can't drive or shoot. The stats bear this out.

Counting on Miksell.... Hope you are right but he wasn't a star before. Helpless on d before, and we sure need defensive help.

Will our two freshmen guards improve. Probably, but doubt their ability to get us back to respectability next year. Today was telling, against a not very strong opponent. Neither man got to the line. They settled for jumpshots because they can't penetrate. Maybe Cohill can but he's a freshmen.

Unless Topin is a real player, and/orAG can land some solid grad transfers. We will be hanging with Duquesne and Fordham in the pit of misery again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you kick your dog when you get home from work???
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (03-08-2018), Monster Man (03-08-2018), UD62 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:29 PM

runnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to all
MS might be slow but he kept Tillman from getting ball a few times. I'm good with that.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to runnerup For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-08-2018), redbengal (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Major General

Posted via Mobile Device
Every player on this team gets stronger. These freshmen ran out of gas in my opinion. But the skills are there. The A10 is a guard league, usually full of strong ones.

As far as Mikesell, according to Bucky he's looking very good in practice late this year when finally cleared to play head to head. Heard good rumblings about Toppin as well.

I didn't say we were Elite Eight next year but i do think this team dances. Only time will tell but I expect at least one more notable recruit/transfer this spring, possibly 2. Yes i wear rose colored glasses. I think team chemistry is maybe the most important factor going into next year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
IMHO anyone that lays this loss at Josh's
feet loses all credibility with me.....IMHO
See you next year.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:51 PM
General

More useful than Pierce, but not X. Svoboda did nothing, notta, zippo to help us win one game this season, without X we don't win the opener. So X accomplished more in one game than Svoboda did for his whole season.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
WarriorPride (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Write in Vote

My vote is for all the bad luck, injuries, stupid decisions made by players, and without going into more details anything and everything that left us with 7 usable scholarship players on the team going into the A-10 tourney. Six of them will be back along with Mikesell, Toppin, our two new recruits, and probably another player or too.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Do you kick your dog when you get home from work???
Beats living in fantasy land!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2018, 04:59 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
One noteable major brain fart -

VCU on the line and DD commits a lane violation from outside the arc on a missed free throw. VCU gets another 2 chances and makes both. DD actually committed lane violations on both additional free throws as well.

I actually think he does not know the rule. If you are standing at the sides of the lane on a free throw, you may enter the lane on the release of the ball. However, the shooter, and those outside the arc may not break the plane of those lines until the ball hits the rim.

Geesh.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
More useful than Pierce, but not X. Svoboda did nothing, notta, zippo to help us win one game this season, without X we don't win the opener. So X accomplished more in one game than Svoboda did for his whole season.
If you really think that way I feel sorry for you.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:02 PM
General

Originally Posted by cj View Post
If you really think that way I feel sorry for you.
Don't need your pity, but so I don't pity you, please tell me something positive you saw all season from Svoboda?

I think it's pretty safe to say without Svoboda we have the same record using one of the walkons to eat minutes. Without X in the first game, we have one less win and one more loss.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-08-2018 at 05:04 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Lieutenant General

VCU on the line and DD commits a lane violation from outside the arc on a missed free throw. VCU gets another 2 chances and makes both. DD actually committed lane violations on both additional free throws as well.

I actually think he does not know the rule. If you are standing at the sides of the lane on a free throw, you may enter the lane on the release of the ball. However, the shooter, and those outside the arc may not break the plane of those lines until the ball hits the rim.

Geesh.
As I mentioned in the game thread that is a lack of basketball IQ, which IMHO was his biggest weakness for four years.
ud69 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:09 PM
General

Geesh.
Well, good thing he learned the rule in his final game for UD.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Browns (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
Every player on this team gets stronger. These freshmen ran out of gas in my opinion. But the skills are there. The A10 is a guard league, usually full of strong ones.

As far as Mikesell, according to Bucky he's looking very good in practice late this year when finally cleared to play head to head. Heard good rumblings about Toppin as well.

I didn't say we were Elite Eight next year but i do think this team dances. Only time will tell but I expect at least one more notable recruit/transfer this spring, possibly 2. Yes i wear rose colored glasses. I think team chemistry is maybe the most important factor going into next year.
If we make the tournament next year (barring a couple of big time recruits/transfers) I will be completely shocked. We weren't anywhere close this year and I don't think AG is going to become a good coach in one off season.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Browns For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-08-2018), WarriorPride (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:26 PM
General

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
IMHO anyone that lays this loss at Josh's
feet loses all credibility with me.....IMHO
See you next year.
Yeah, that puzzles me too. I think people are making this harder than it really is. The best player on the court for the Flyers today was Josh Cunningham yet you've got people who are blaming him for the game. Bizzaro world this season.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (03-08-2018), Radar (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't see much of the game, and I only heard parts of it (and I missed most of the last 3:00), so I'm not going to vote. I didn't earn the right to vote. And, from what I've seen and heard, there was enough blame to go around.

-Darrell Davis getting the lane violation (as our only senior) was inexcusable.
-Jalen Crutcher going 0 for (at least) his first 7 put us in a deep hole.
-Jordan Davis didn't wake-up until we made our run in the 2nd half.
-Josh Cunningham (from what I've read) didn't play down the stretch like we needed him to play.
-Matej Svoboda contributed little.
-Coach Anthony Grant made some strategic errors. And, of course,
-Xeyrius Williams and Jordan Pierce, both on scholarship, chose to be no-shows for most/all of this season (and didn't even do enough to merit being on the bench for the A10 Tourney - addition by subtraction).

Archie's motto when he came here was "True Team". When you consider all of the above (plus other facets I'm inadvertently leaving out), this was a true team loss. I think and hope that next year will be better. It needs to be better. The question is: how much better?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I can't vote either, because I neither saw nor heard the game. Saw the halftime score and thought we still had a chance. Saw 70-70 with 1:52 left I think and thought we still had a chance. Disappointing the season is over, and I hope it leaves a bitter taste in the players mouths, motivating them to work even harder during the off-season and be ready to kick some butt next year.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to blame anyone, as the effort was great today by all that played. Crutcher could not hit the side of a barn but he and Jordan hit huge threes to almost pull the game out. Crutcher also rebounded well and had about 7 assists. In the end, that immature mouthing to draw the technical was uncalled for and disturbed our flow, so he gets my vote.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
With a 5 point lead and the ball, you need run the clock, we all get that. But you don't run the clock to f'in 0 and chuck up and airball an off balance 3 or in the lane leaner...UGH!!! The purpose of running the clock is to get a good shot LATE in the shotclock but for some stinking reason teams - like UD today- assume it means getting a shot isn't important. As soon as you hit 10, you look for a shot...at 7 sec, you need to drive and shoot...if it gets to 3 and you're lost, then why are you on the court? Cunningham, for all his talents, needed to drive and shoot...not pass. Those 2 possessions were the most frustrating I can recall all season. UGH!

Regardless, the future looks bright. When you're late into an A10 tourney game and have 4 freshman and a sophomore on the court there's no other way to look at it...unless you're udscott or moddog...so let's stay positive! We'll be dancing in 2018-19...write it down. The King is an amateur prophet with an uncanny talent of always being right.

So let it be written...so let it be done!

As for the Golden Poll, W or L, someone has to take home the bling...so for today's loss we have to place the blame on someone whose play turned the royal tide against my Flyers. Everyone who played is fair game. Vote away.

Go Flyers!
King Rollo: This happened the entire year; it was not unique to this game. The offense was chronically unable to get set and run picks, screens, or cuts.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (03-08-2018), jack72 (03-08-2018), rollo (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
I can't vote either, because I neither saw nor heard the game. Saw the halftime score and thought we still had a chance. Saw 70-70 with 1:52 left I think and thought we still had a chance. Disappointing the season is over, and I hope it leaves a bitter taste in the players mouths, motivating them to work even harder during the off-season and be ready to kick some butt next year.
And this might not be a Christian thought on my part, but I hope this serves as a lasting memory for the guys who didn't give a rats' arse, that this team might not have been a "one & done" if they had actually put forth an honest effort this season. I hope this loss haunts you for the rest of your days.

And I'm going to vote "contra-poll" and say that, if every player had showed-up the way Trey Landers showed-up, we'd be playing tomorrow.

Finally, yes, I've had a couple of bourbon-and-waters since I got home from work.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Captain

sopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud of
Can’t believe you would side with a guy that quit on his team over one that accepted his role and did his best to contribute despite his physical shortcomings. Like you, I was disappointed with what we got from Matej, but I will take him all day long over the other guy. What X’s antics did to undermine team chemistry and the locker room cannot be measured.
Mad Props to sopaw10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerBob (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 PM
General

Originally Posted by sopaw10 View Post
Can’t believe you would side with a guy that quit on his team over one that accepted his role and did his best to contribute despite his physical shortcomings. Like you, I was disappointed with what we got from Matej, but I will take him all day long over the other guy. What X’s antics did to undermine team chemistry and the locker room cannot be measured.
Not siding, just stating a fact. Svoboda was the least productive player that ever got the kind of minutes he did that I can remember playing at UD. He was record bad. XW contributed to at least one win. Snap back to reality and you can see it regardless of your hatred. If you asked me who I prefer back next year between the two I would say if what has been said about X is true, I'd prefer Svoboda. That doesn't change the facts, I live in reality.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
gotta give Svoboda another year.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Love it when someone "lives in reality", "tells it like it is", or states "the fact is". Actually just code for their opinion, nothing more.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:06 PM
General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Love it when someone "lives in reality", "tells it like it is", or states "the fact is". Actually just code for their opinion, nothing more.
Love it when somebody can't respond with a counter argument because there is none so brings up the obvious like it's some kind of crime to have an opinion.

Now, please counter with fact or even a stupid opinion explaining all the ways Svoboda helped us win this season or at least the positives you saw in his game.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Love it when somebody can't respond with a counter argument because there is none so brings up the obvious like it's some kind of crime to have an opinion.

Now, please counter with fact or even a stupid opinion explaining all the ways Svoboda helped us win this season or at least the positives you saw in his game.
We agree, you have an opinion, nothing more. Stating you "live in reality" is just a way of stating that your opinion is correct, and other may not have the same confidence in your version of 'reality". You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Whether it reflects reality is another question.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 PM
General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
We agree, you have an opinion, nothing more. Stating you "live in reality" is just a way of stating that your opinion is correct, and other may not have the same confidence in your version of 'reality". You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Whether it reflects reality is another question.
Thank you. Now that you've pointed out that I have an opinion because obviously everybody else is not capable of figuring that out for themselves, can we get back to our regularly scheduled opinion sharing? Unless of course, the reason you singled me out is that you have a different opinion, let's hear it.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you. Now that you've pointed out that I have an opinion because obviously everybody else is not capable of figuring that out for themselves, can we get back to our regularly scheduled opinion sharing? Unless of course, the reason you singled me out is that you have a different opinion, let's hear it.
I think he’s most worried about if you’ve figured out that in your reality that in reality all you seem to have is negative realities - about 3 of them. Actually the point he makes about your word choices is valid and relevant.

MS will be just fine if he comes back next year.

It would be interesting to compile the UD HOF or premature kicked to the curb players. We could call it the all ‘waste of a scholarship’ team.

I’ll nominate DO and LW as exhibits #1 and #2.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Marysville Flyer; 03-08-2018 at 10:20 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-08-2018), UD62 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:44 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
At some point as upperclassmen, you need to get in the huddle, channel your inner Keyshon Johnson, and say "get me the **** ball"...

DD's last point was at 8:00~...a FT
Josh...3pt play at 8:22

In the last 3:15 we didn't take a shot that hit the net or the rim...
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (03-09-2018), rollo (03-09-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
...It would be interesting to compile the UD HOF or premature kicked to the curb players. We could call it the all ‘waste of a scholarship’ team.

Posted via Mobile Device
I’ll nominate Sharky as #3.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Lieutenant General

I think he’s most worried about if you’ve figured out that in your reality that in reality all you seem to have is negative realities - about 3 of them. Actually the point he makes about your word choices is valid and relevant.

It would be interesting to compile the UD HOF or premature kicked to the curb players. We could call it the all ‘waste of a scholarship’ team.

Citing a couple of outliers won't fix this bad team. For every DO there have been plenty of Crosby's, Ralph Hills, Gravilovich's, , Stephen Thomas's, Nick Stafford' Adadji's, Derenbeker's, and scores of others, few as bad as Svoboda. Not everyone who suits up red and blue is a keeper. Sometimes parting is best for both. This Chek should be in the mail back home. He's easily the worst player on a bad, bad team. He is not now, nor ever likely to be championship material. I called it on Crosby long ago to lots of desent. I'm pretty sure I'm correct again. Given that there has not been one shining moment for him all year, what the rationale for wanting him, we don't get higher draft pick for tanking another year or two.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 AM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold

Posted via Mobile Device
Big difference is that these are examples of good athletes that are 18 yo. Matty Svoboda is 21? And extremely limited athletically. Seems like he works hard and I hope he's back next year, I also hope him and westerfield see the same number if minutes.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:30 AM
Major General

Not siding, just stating a fact. Svoboda was the least productive player that ever got the kind of minutes he did that I can remember playing at UD. He was record bad. XW contributed to at least one win. Snap back to reality and you can see it regardless of your hatred. If you asked me who I prefer back next year between the two I would say if what has been said about X is true, I'd prefer Svoboda. That doesn't change the facts, I live in reality.
I wasn’t ever close to even knowing someone claiming to have “inside information” on team chemistry and “contributions” so i can only speculate what i saw in terms of playing time. Any coach worth his weight in salt is going to put out players based on what they have talent-wise and what they show in terms of hustle IN PRACTICE (unless you’re Alan Iverson of course). So obviously Svoboda did his job in practice- and a few other players didn’t- therefore they didn’t see PT.

If you’re hurt, can’t even run due to a bad back or whatever- and you “shut it down”- you’re still on the bench in street clothes and engaged, part of the team.
For that reason alone, imo, X is gone. I don’t care what he accomplished “in one game alone” his attitude was detrimental to team chemistry at the very least, could possibly have very negatively influenced another player or 2 and directly responsible for a few losses.

One season doesn’t make a career. You have no idea what Svboda may or may not accomplish in the next 3 years but the fact that he was on the court and doing his best at the end of the year speaks volumes about his work ethic and I’ll take that any day over someone(s) who didn’t care, checked out or didn’t make trips to away games the last few months. Welcome to my reality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:43 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Svoboda was the least productive player that ever got the kind of minutes he did that I can remember playing at UD. He was record bad.
So let me get this right...

You would rather put someone in the game that will offer relatively zero production next year and seasons forward (walkons, Pierce, XW) versus Svoboda?....who has very good chance of giving productive minutes going forward if he develops like others.

Curious...how many practices did you go to and what players were doing what the coaching staff was asking them to do?

What camp were you in on Trey Landers last year? Did you give up on him and wish for potential departure as well?

The entire decision making process of the coaching staff doesn't rest primarily on what you can view from the comfort of your living room.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 07:48 AM
General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
So let me get this right...

You would rather put someone in the game that will offer relatively zero production next year and seasons forward (walkons, Pierce, XW) versus Svoboda?....who has very good chance of giving productive minutes going forward if he develops like others.

Curious...how many practices did you go to and what players were doing what the coaching staff was asking them to do?

What camp were you in on Trey Landers last year? Did you give up on him and wish for potential departure as well?

The entire decision making process of the coaching staff doesn't rest primarily on what you can view from the comfort of your living room.
Reread my posts. I was referring to who contributed more as far as wins this season. X 1 Svoboda zero. I also said that if what's been said about X is true, I'd certainly take Svoboda back over him for chemistry reasons if nothing else. My post was about this season. READ!!!!

Oh, and as far as Trey is concerned I was in the camp of saying I thought he was going to be a great player some day because I saw the energy and skill and wondered why AM didn't use him more. So don't put that stale argument on me. However, I'll be honest, when it came to DMO, I was critical for 3 seasons. However, Trey and DMO both showed some positives when playing, Svoboda notta, zippo..

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-09-2018 at 07:51 AM..
Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
However, Trey and DMO both showed some positives when playing, Svoboda notta, zippo..
Did you watch his defense in the paint yesterday? When Cunningham had to leave the center of the zone due to foul trouble, Svbobda was in there banging and playing great D on Tillman when he was in there. That can't be ignored and is exactly the type of play AG is getting out of him in practices...earning him the time on the floor.

Svoboda is showing the positives to the coaching staff....and attitude and work ethic mean something to AG...which is a sign that good things are on the horizon. Not necessarily with individual players, but with the expectations of the program.

I would rather lose with scrubs than compete with players that don't buy in and are out for themselves.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (03-09-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-09-2018), longtimefan67 (03-09-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:03 AM

Reread my posts. I was referring to who contributed more as far as wins this season. X 1 Svoboda zero. ..
FWIW...

UD v Akron...we trailed 37-32 at halftime and won 73-60...thanks to Svoboda's 9 pts, 4 rbs and 3 assists. http://www.espn.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400989813

X1, Svoboda 1.

He had a couple other good games in losses, but overall I would take Svoboda and his off-the-bench attitude over XW and his NBA-dreams any and every day of the week. And obviously Grant agrees with the Royal braintrust.
Beatty Town Coach (03-09-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-09-2018), longtimefan67 (03-09-2018), shocka43 (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-09-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:19 AM
General

FWIW...

UD v Akron...we trailed 37-32 at halftime and won 73-60...thanks to Svoboda's 9 pts, 4 rbs and 3 assists. http://www.espn.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400989813

X1, Svoboda 1.

He had a couple other good games in losses, but overall I would take Svoboda and his off-the-bench attitude over XW and his NBA-dreams any and every day of the week. And obviously Grant agrees with the Royal braintrust.
Well Okay then, when comparing him to XW, I'd rather have him in the locker room than a disruptive presence. I already said that. However, when comparing him to a player that can help us win and get to the dance, I say put him on the bench right next to the walk-ons. Players like Svoboda aren't going to help us get back to the basketball standards that Archie set. Yes I said it. My prediction is he's just scholarship player glued to the bench on a successful team. If the team does revert back to the JOB years, he'll probably get more playing time.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:24 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you watch his defense in the paint yesterday? When Cunningham had to leave the center of the zone due to foul trouble, Svbobda was in there banging and playing great D on Tillman when he was in there. That can't be ignored and is exactly the type of play AG is getting out of him in practices...earning him the time on the floor.
Jan 12 2018 - Tillman 26 pts, 12 rebounds, 4-5 FT
Feb 10 2018 - Tillman 37 pts, 8 rebounds, 3-8 FT
Mar 8 2018 - Tillman 15 pts, 10 rebounds, 5-7 FT
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-09-2018), longtimefan67 (03-09-2018), rollo (03-09-2018), shocka43 (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-09-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Lieutenant General

Svoboda is showing the positives to the coaching staff....and attitude and work ethic mean something to AG...which is a sign that good things are on the horizon. Not necessarily with individual players, but with the expectations of the program.

I would rather lose with scrubs than compete with players that don't buy in and are out for themselves.
We are losing with scrubs now. Svoboda is a scrub. Look at his stats man! He's the veritable definition of a scrub. He and his ilk are what keeps us in company with Fordham, Duquesne and the bottom of a weak conference. We need better player to play better. We can't pray for development.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2018, 08:38 AM

We are losing with scrubs now. Svoboda is a scrub. Look at his stats man! He's the veritable definition of a scrub. He and his ilk are what keeps us in company with Fordham, Duquesne and the bottom of a weak conference. We need better player to play better. We can't pray for development.
Posted via Mobile Device
We can't pray for development but we can pray for patience and maturity.
longtimefan67 (03-09-2018), Monster Man (03-09-2018), shocka43 (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-09-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Jan 12 2018 - Tillman 26 pts, 12 rebounds, 4-5 FT
Feb 10 2018 - Tillman 37 pts, 8 rebounds, 3-8 FT
Mar 8 2018 - Tillman 15 pts, 10 rebounds, 5-7 FT
I think this says something about what Kostas can bring to floor after not playing in the first two meetings verse VCU. Tillman couldn't simply shoot over him like he could verse Josh/Svoboda.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I voted for J Davis, just because I thought he missed several really good looks from 3 that would've boosted the offense. But my real vote is with Grant here. Really poor coaching down the stretch.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Again I'm not going to single out any player here. The team seems to be unable to finish close games in the last minutes of any game this season ... it is apparent from the senior on down to the freshmen. At one time we had 4 freshmen and 1 sophomore on the floor trying to hold match.

Having 2 possessions in a row down to the shot clock in this game (and no points) is a fitting image of the season where that happened a lot this year.

I hope those that stay continue to work toward next years edition.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
I’ll nominate Sharky as #3.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 Keith Waleskowski
#5 Trey Landers
Old 03-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Posted via Mobile Device
Laughable....you state certain players "keeps us in company with Fordham, Duqnesne"...

How many seasons in the last decade or two have we been in the company of the bottom dewllers? Your right...twice. Schmitt happens.

Need to start a poll on UD Pride posters...to see how many have followed this team for decades....or simply since recent success in the AM era...ought to be interesting.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Smitty, your corner, for your own good, should stop the fight, because you are getting your pervebial brains kicked-in.

It's ugly, you are not even close.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-09-2018), longtimefan67 (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-09-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018), UD62 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Voted for Crutcher. You are not a freshman anymore, so you can take the feedback. But he had an amazing freshman season; and it's a pleasure to watch him play and develop. Bad game, shake it off, come back next year ready to play. Thanks for being a flyer.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-09-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Lieutenant General

For all the people that don't want to give Svoboda a chance to develop, what makes his frosh year much different than X's stats wise? You were all willing to give X a chance to develop (I didn't and said he would never amount to anything, of which I admit I was wrong) and X proved that he could develop after a very lackluster frosh year. I say MS still has a chance to develop now that he's had a year to learn the college game and will have a full off season with the staff to work on the things he needs to do to get better.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (03-09-2018), BRob2Perryman3 (03-09-2018), longtimefan67 (03-09-2018), shocka43 (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:53 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
For all the people that don't want to give Svoboda a chance to develop, what makes his frosh year much different than X's stats wise? You were all willing to give X a chance to develop (I didn't and said he would never amount to anything, of which I admit I was wrong) and X proved that he could develop after a very lackluster frosh year. I say MS still has a chance to develop now that he's had a year to learn the college game and will have a full off season with the staff to work on the things he needs to do to get better.
Xeyrius Williams (2015) vs Matej Svoboda (2017)
Code:

ud | gms | strt |    mins     |   fg_tp_ft_pct    |    pts    |   rebs   |   asts   |   tos    
----+-----+------+-------------+-------------------+-----------+----------+----------+----------
 XW |  24 |    0 | 244 (10.20) | 0.455/0.273/0.750 | 52 (2.17) | 43 (1.8) | 5 (0.2)  | 12 (0.5)
 MS |  28 |    0 | 318 (11.40) | 0.329/0.200/1.000 | 61 (2.18) | 33 (1.2) | 17 (0.6) | 25 (0.9)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-09-2018), NorthwestFlyer (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Browns View Post
If we make the tournament next year (barring a couple of big time recruits/transfers) I will be completely shocked. We weren't anywhere close this year and I don't think AG is going to become a good coach in one off season.
After one season with one of his own recruits and two of the holdovers quitting on the team, AG isn't a good coach.

Got it.

Last edited by BRob2Perryman3; 03-09-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Brigadier General

I'm a Matej fan. He's obviously bought in and doing the right things. Love the effort if not the results. I remember when DMO and Finn among others had bad freshman years and looked lost. Good times
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Code:

ud | gms | strt |    mins     |   fg_tp_ft_pct    |    pts    |   rebs   |   asts   |   tos    
----+-----+------+-------------+-------------------+-----------+----------+----------+----------
 XW |  24 |    0 | 244 (10.20) | 0.455/0.273/0.750 | 52 (2.17) | 43 (1.8) | 5 (0.2)  | 12 (0.5)
 MS |  28 |    0 | 318 (11.40) | 0.329/0.200/1.000 | 61 (2.18) | 33 (1.2) | 17 (0.6) | 25 (0.9)
Thank Figgie...I would say those are similar stats, wouldn't you?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:29 PM

Code:

You have overall plus-minus stats for their respective year?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:33 PM
I Am A Statistical God

You have overall plus-minus stats for their respective year?
Xeyrius Williams (2015-16)
Yearly Average Plus/Minus Stats
Code:
  ud  | prevavg | curravg | avtime | diffavg | stddev |  effect
------+---------+---------+--------+---------+--------+----------
 XWil |   1.040 |   0.885 | 09:43  |  -0.155 |  6.233 |    3.641
Matej Svoboda (2017-18)
Code:
  ud  | prevavg | curravg | avtime | diffavg | stddev | effect
------+---------+---------+--------+---------+--------+---------
 MSvo |  -1.407 |  -1.357 | 11:21  |   0.050 |  5.146 |  -4.780
In 2015-16, UD outscored their opponents by 6.54 pts in games Xeyrius played.
In 2017-18, UD was outscored by their opponents by 1.61 pts in games Matej played.

Stats provided by Figstats.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
+/- stats are kind of apples and oranges in this instance. 2 years ago Svoboda probably would have had + more because of the talent on that team. This years team was pretty thin.

If Svoboda can get his shots to start falling and keep up the assists, he will be a great off the bench player. If he builds some more muscle and improves his defense to go with an offensive improvement, he will see the floor every game IMHO.

We expected a bit more out of him because of his experience and age, but he was not there yet.
Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Xeyrius Williams (2015-16)
Code:
  ud  | prevavg | curravg | avtime | diffavg | stddev |  effect
------+---------+---------+--------+---------+--------+----------
 XWil |   1.040 |   0.885 | 09:43  |  -0.155 |  6.233 |    3.641
Matej Svoboda (2017-18)
Code:
  ud  | prevavg | curravg | avtime | diffavg | stddev | effect
------+---------+---------+--------+---------+--------+---------
 MSvo |  -1.407 |  -1.357 | 11:21  |   0.050 |  5.146 |  -4.780
In 2015-16, UD outscored their opponents by 6.54 pts in games Xeyrius played.
In 2017-18, UD was outscored by their opponents by 1.61 pts in games Matej played.

Stats provided by Figstats.
Thanks. Figgie. One other point to consider is the relative +/- of the two players, that is, when taking into account the team’s overall performance.

In 2015-16, we were at an overall + 6.9 PPG, so it could be argued that we were slightly less productive with XW in the lineup (+6.54 for XW vs. +6.9 overall). This season, we were at an overall - 1.1 PPG, so it could be argued that we were slightly less productive with MS in the lineup (-1.61 for MS vs. -1.1 overall). The “performance gap” for XW was roughly -0.36. The same stat for MS was roughly -0.51. The difference between the two (0.15) is almost insignificant, statistically speaking.

So yes, XW was, on a relative scale, slightly more productive as a freshman 2 years ago than MS was this year. Slightly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Captain

sopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud of
First of all, don’t project hatred on my part. I don’t hate X. I just see him as a quitter who put his own self interest above that of his teammates.

I never said I hate him for it. I have coached, and guys like X are not all that unusual. But they are a cancer on a team that undermines the chances of winning in ways that cannot be measured in baskets and rebounds. That is the reality.

Did X hit a couple of shots that contributed to a win? Possibly. But Svoboda apparently did what was asked and contributed in practice. He certainly did not diminish the culture and atmosphere in the way that X seems to have done. Might have made his teammates better, and didn’t seem to have been a distraction for them in the way his counterpart seems to have been.

You accuse me of living outside of reality. When in reality, I am just looking at the bigger picture you have ignored. Wins and losses result from more than in game statistics. To think otherwise is shortsighted on your part.

I am not loooking at Matej through rose colored glasses. He brought little to the table, and was a disappointment in light of what was expected. But all in all, considering X’s selfishness and disruption, along with a handful of rebounds and a few made baskets, juxtaposed with Matej’s unimpressive stat line, and hard work while supporting his teammates, I contend Svaboda did more to contribute to wins.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sopaw10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-10-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)