Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Lieutenant

FLYER FANATIC 88 is infamous around these partsFLYER FANATIC 88 is infamous around these parts
How will Dayton be this season?

How many games do you think UD will win? What will their record be? Will UD make the post-season, if so what post-season (NCAA or NIT)?

The strength of schedule maybe weaker, but Dayton may lose to some of those weaker non-conference teams. However, since most of their non-conference games are at home, they will probably (should) win against those weak non-conference teams. Since the last few years UD seems to schedule most of their non-conference games at home and they do well, but they fall apart and suck in conference play and lose to those teams on the road. If they are going to schedule weak teams, they need to play more of those teams on the road during non-conference play to prepare them again league foes on the road like LaSalle, etc.

UD won't be as good as last season. Last season UD played with 2 potential NBA/professional basketball players (Chris Wright for about half the season and Brian Roberts) and only achieved a disappointing NIT apperance, when they should have went to the NCAA tournament. This season UD will play with 1 potential professional basketballl player (Chris Wright) and will need him to lead this team. Veterans Charles Little, Marcus Johnson, Kurt Huelsman, and London Warren will need to step it up for the Flyers.

Expect this season to be similar to the 06-07 season without making the post-season, but UD will finish the regular season with a 17-12 record.

What does everyone think?
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
I think 17-12 is a little unrealistic - especially since they play 31 regular season games.

I'm thinking more like 22-9 or 21-10 in the regular season. Unfortunately, I just don't know enough about how much Paul Williams, Josh Benson and Rob Lowrey will impact this team. Just too many questions until we see these guys in action - at least in some exhibition games.

I'm thinking we lose 3 non-conference games and go 10-6 in the A-10. However, 22 wins with this year's schedule, might only get us another NIT visit.

I'm thinking that:
1. Marcus continues to improve and turns into a 12-13 pt per night guy.
2. Wright is healthy the whole year and gets 15pts, 7-8 reb per night.
3. Rob Lowrey is good enough to end up starting by the end of the year - I hope. Because I think it is a long-shot that LW becomes comfortable hitting a jump-shot.
4. Searcy can log 11-12 quality minutes off the bench this year.
5. Paul Williams is good enough to play 15+ minutes and scores 5-6 pts per game.
6. I'm still wondering how much CW actually plays PF versus SF. Assuming he plays more minutes at SF, who comes off the bench to spell Little? Is it Fabrizius or Benson?
7. If Benson logs minutes, will it be at PF or Center? Is he competing with Fabrizius or with Searcy for minutes?
8. I can't see Thomas logging any more than a couple minutes per game this year.
9. I'm thinking Williams plays more SF than SG, but if he ends up spelling MJ at shooting guard, does Mickey Perry get any playing time this year?

So many questions. But, I think 17 wins is way too low.

The key is that someone has to push Huelsman, Warren and Little for playing time. If these three guys all have to play 25 minutes per game, we are in trouble. Searcy/Benson, Lowrey and Paul Williams are the guys I look for to make an impact this year.

Thomas, Perry, Fabrizius, C Johnson - I don't see them getting to play more than 10 minutes. Maybe Perry, if anyone, but that would mean that CW plays minutes at PF and Williams is pushed into the SF position.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:19 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I also think 17 wins is way too low. There are quite a few questions as Gilchrist's pointed out but that is usually the case unless you are loaded with juniors and seniors. I think we should be better on defense, better inside and with some individual improvements at least as good on offense. Nobody will be waiting around for Brob to make things happen next year
Old 07-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Academy Doolie

JDflyer will become famous soon enough
I think we will only get 19 wins this season. I have a feeling that we will get hurt badly in the A-10 schedule. London Warren is back in the point guard situation but this time we can't rely on B-rob the last ten minutes of the game. Other than Marcus, we have no perimeter shooting. And Brian Gregory does not play freshman very much (B-rob only averaged 20 minutes his freshman year). I think to rely on freshman who will only play 10 minutes per game is ridiculous. And until we have a JUCO player prove himself, I'm not going to count on that either.

However, I am definitely looking forward to this team the following year.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JDflyer View Post
I think we will only get 19 wins this season. I have a feeling that we will get hurt badly in the A-10 schedule. London Warren is back in the point guard situation but this time we can't rely on B-rob the last ten minutes of the game. Other than Marcus, we have no perimeter shooting. And Brian Gregory does not play freshman very much (B-rob only averaged 20 minutes his freshman year). I think to rely on freshman who will only play 10 minutes per game is ridiculous. And until we have a JUCO player prove himself, I'm not going to count on that either.

However, I am definitely looking forward to this team the following year.
BG played KH every game his freshman year, if you have the talent and can show it you will get plenty of playing minutes.

We should be a much improved parimeter team if PW LF etc provide the parimeter shots they have in HS. From what we are hearing LW is tearing up the nets in practice from the new 3 pt line. Also it seems that there is a concerted effort on the part of the players to work on their free throw shooting in the offseason as they realize they missed the dance due to poor ft shooting. There were a good 3-4 losses that could have been "W's" with better ft throw shooting.

Agree that the A-10 for some reason seems to be a difficult bump in the road of a successful season that we have not yet learned to overcome. However everyone on the team realizes that we will not be a one man offense next year and that could prove to be in our favor. More points coming from everywhere and with a vastly improved up tempo game. NVery few 60's games with exception of Miami,(O).
Old 07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JDflyer
And Brian Gregory does not play freshman very much (B-rob only averaged 20 minutes his freshman year).
But BG plays a lot of players - BR's freshman year he was 5th on the team in average minutes per game and the most was Monty Scott with 24.9 (not much more than BR's 20.2)

Also, out of 13 freshmen recruits that BG has had, 9 started at least 1 game as a freshman
and 11 of them averaged more than 11.9 mpg while 4 averaged 20+ minutes a game

If you're good enough as a freshman, you can earn minutes
Old 07-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
But BG plays a lot of players - BR's freshman year he was 5th on the team in average minutes per game and the most was Monty Scott with 24.9 (not much more than BR's 20.2)

Also, out of 13 freshmen recruits that BG has had, 9 started at least 1 game as a freshman
and 11 of them averaged more than 11.9 mpg while 4 averaged 20+ minutes a game

If you're good enough as a freshman, you can earn minutes
Paul Williams will average atleast 12 points a game.
He will be a major contributor from game one. I see 22-9 this year.

Signed, Swami
Old 07-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLYER FANATIC 88 View Post
How many games do you think UD will win? What will their record be? Will UD make the post-season, if so what post-season (NCAA or NIT)?

The strength of schedule maybe weaker, but Dayton may lose to some of those weaker non-conference teams. However, since most of their non-conference games are at home, they will probably (should) win against those weak non-conference teams. Since the last few years UD seems to schedule most of their non-conference games at home and they do well, but they fall apart and suck in conference play and lose to those teams on the road. If they are going to schedule weak teams, they need to play more of those teams on the road during non-conference play to prepare them again league foes on the road like LaSalle, etc.

UD won't be as good as last season. Last season UD played with 2 potential NBA/professional basketball players (Chris Wright for about half the season and Brian Roberts) and only achieved a disappointing NIT apperance, when they should have went to the NCAA tournament. This season UD will play with 1 potential professional basketballl player (Chris Wright) and will need him to lead this team. Veterans Charles Little, Marcus Johnson, Kurt Huelsman, and London Warren will need to step it up for the Flyers.

Expect this season to be similar to the 06-07 season without making the post-season, but UD will finish the regular season with a 17-12 record.

What does everyone think?
When we had our two potential pro players playing, we dominated the schedule. I think our team will be approximately as good as last year if they remain healthy most of the season. NIT to maybe NCAA birth is what I expect. If our team would have remained healthy last year, we would have had a win total that would be difficult to reproduce this year, IMO.

I think we are going to have a long streak of post-season invites.

Last edited by Fudd; 07-12-2008 at 06:45 PM..
Old 07-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,143 Times in 5,114 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I think you start with the basics: UD has a chance to win every home game and has an equal chance of losing practically every road game. I dont see a guaranteed road win anywhere. Other than Xavier, I like our chances in all of the other home games.

Beyond that, I never count too much on frosh -- even though this season it would appear we have no other option if we have any plans to win. Still, its a dangerous way to think. I wont see any of the frosh averaging more than 5-6ppg. Lowery may eclipse that as a JUCO. If you want to know where the freight must be paid, it will be from the returning guys. If London, Little, Marcus, Thomas, Wright, Huelsman, Searcy, etc do not improve substantially and demonstrate they worked on their weaknesses every day during the summer, then I dont see much improvement.

While Roberts was sensational as a guy playing 1 on 5 most nights, our inability to play diverse probably also kept us out of the NCAAs. Perhaps we do not have such a problem this year and we can get more balance. Just 6-7 points from a number of guys can go a long way. And, if we dont shoot FTs better, you can write off the NCAAs too. You need Memphis and GTown talent to overcome 60% at the line. We are not good enough to shoot 60% at the line and still be an NCAA team.

I think shooting will improve simply because we have some guys who have better God-given mechanics. Marcus doesnt have the mechanics but they drop and began dropping much better as the season unfolded. If it goes in, thats what counts most. Its obvious Marcus took the time to work on his shooting and FTs in last years offseason. We need others to emulate that commitment.

We need to see Stephen Thomas become more than a pacifist this year. He needs to find an identity and start acting like he thinks he belongs here. I think Searcy can also give us some valuable minutes.

Reports are Luke can really stroke it in open gym. Paul Williams is penciled in to contribute immediately, but the guy I think makes the biggest impact is Chris Johnson. Hes a cross between Marcus and Brooks Hall. Just does a little of everything and stuffs a stat sheet. In the limited film Ive seen of him, hes a slim 6-6 interior guy at the HS level who played like 6-9. Rebounds extremely well for his size. Gets boards and baskets to drop that probably shouldnt. Developing a nice outside jumpshot. Just a blue collar kid who has no problem taking out the garbage.

Which is why Chris is so fun to watch. Most guys like Chris are total prima donnas. All they want to do is alley oop. When I see CW going gonzo for offensive rebounds I get all warm and fuzzy inside.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 07-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,335 Times in 448 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
23 wins

We have the 2 of the best players in the A10 on our team in Chris Wright and Marcus Johnson (if not the top 2). Paul Williams will contribute mightly as a freshman - not only because he can shoot, but he'll be able to stay on the floor because he can defend.

Chris Johnson appears athletic enough to hang defensively - so he should put up some stats too. Even though a guy like Luke can shoot, I doubt he stays on the floor much because he will not be able to defend anyone (at least in the A10 anyway).

I see Mickey Perry and Rob Lowery as our big wildcards - if those 2 can score consistently and defend, we will be even better that 23 wins.

Tell me... who in the world is going to be able to keep Chris Wright, Marcus Johnson, Charles Little, and Chris Johnson off the rim???
Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
We will have two all A-10 players in CW and MJ. We will have a third if Charles Little can make 70 percent of his free throws, but given that won't happen, he won't be a third.

Paul Williams will average ten points a game, make an immediate impact, make the all-freshman team.

London Warren will make improvements in free-throw and jump-shooting because he can see the writing on the wall: It's spelled LOWERY.

22-9, then go to the finals of the A-10 tournament. Feel-good year.

Definitely NIT. Maybe NCAA.

We will go 11-5 in the A-10. Beat Xavier for a change.

Mark this down.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb is on a distinguished road
John the Bomb

I think the loss of BRob is too bad but we'll have the second, third and fourth leading scorers back and top three rebounders in CW, MJ and CL. Should still be a good team this year, free of any injuries. I'm looking forward to it. I agree with other people that the non-conference schedule could be stronger. The only 2 tough teams were playing from last year's RPIs are Marquette and Creighton and like some of you said, they are both not at home.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on how far LW and other point guards come in that time frame .... of course that is relative to the competition. As good as CW and MJ are, their hands are tied if we can't get them the ball ... and more importantly get them the ball on time and in positions to score.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb

True. I'll agree with that. CW and MJ have to progress from last year and we'll have to see how LW is in a starting role as a guard.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 AM

AustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Nobody will be waiting around for Brob to make things happen next year
It will be interesting to see how they play without Roberts. I just hope it doesn't turn into everyone waiting around for Wright to make things happen.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

jw4daytonflyers#1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
Paul Williams will average atleast 12 points a game.
He will be a major contributor from game one.
I agree. I can see him as a Brian Roberts by his junior and senior year here.

OT-I've been checking the Magic's box scores for their summer league and Brob unfortunately hasnt been making a big enough impact to be signed by the start of the season
Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb

That's too bad that BRob didn't do well enough with Orlando to make enough noise to get signed by them. But he always can do a heck of a lot better with the LA Lakers in the Las Vegas summer league starting today and lasting until Saturday. It has more teams in it(21) as opposed to what the Orlando summer league had(6). Let's cross our fingers. I also hope CW isn't depended on by our teammates by too much like BRob was. We need to play as a team. Not rely on one player.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by AustinFlyer View Post
It will be interesting to see how they play without Roberts. I just hope it doesn't turn into everyone waiting around for Wright to make things happen.
If this happens, it is brian gregory's fault and is a serious problem. He made a mistake throughout BR's career--he put all his eggs in BR's basket. He figured, I have one really good player, I am going to milk him for all he's worth. The offense he ran, etc., made it hard for the other players to play freely and with confidence.

He better have learned from his mistakes and not repeat them...

PS We are dancing this year. And i agree that Chris johnson will be the surprise newcomer.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
I believe we will sneak up on people this year , since Brob is gone. We will be a very good if not great defensive team, more pressing and running for this team. I cant wait till the Red and Blue game, as for Chris Johnson, he can flat out play defense with his long arms, plus his 3pt shooting. I look for a Ncaa bid and we will make some noise
Old 07-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb

I think we'll be a good team this year, too, Atlantic 10. We have our 3 leading rebounders back(CW, MJ and CL). They are also our second, third and fourth leading scorers from last year. London Warren and Kurt Huelsman will have to play well, too, because they will probably be our other starters. We'll have to see the way things turn out.
Hopefully Chris Johnson(our new recruit) will be good, too. You say he has a wide wingspan. Sounds promising. I think we can go to the Big Dance as well.

Last edited by John the Bomb; 07-13-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Old 07-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
You guys really think Chris Johnson is going to be the surprise? 6'5 176 - the 3rd best of the incoming freshmen (PW, JB, CJ, LF). I just don't see him getting too many minutes behind Wright, Williams, Marcus, Perry, ... - where does he fit into the rotation? I don't know - I guess it would be a really bog surprise to me if he makes a real impact this year.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
After reading tman's post on the other thread, I'm changing my opinion on this year's team. I had said a feel-good year and 22-9, definitely the NIT, possibly the NCAA. Now that tman has reminded we have Ted Kissell running the show, I'm backing off and going 17-14 and only making that new tournament below the NIT. I just don't see Kissell helping us win any games this year. He has a lousy jump shot, doesn't know a free throw from a throw up, and hasn't made a bucket in 15 years. What good is he? He's only dragging this team down. He'll probably cost us at least six games.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
Gilchrist, it is definitely all speculation at this point. for some reason, I see johnson backing up charles at the 4. i thnk gregory will try to use him like he used binnie--a 4 man that is supposed to be able to shoot and hustle.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 AM

jcubspoe will become famous soon enoughjcubspoe will become famous soon enough
I've seen CJ play and there is no way he can play the 4 spot in college. He's clearly a 2/3 position player. Reminds me a ton of Tony Stanley. Slashes, athletic, and has right now a decent stroke on him. If he shows any ability to play D and hit the outside shot he'll get some minutes.

The loss of Brob hurts, but the loss of JB and AS helps, if you know what I mean. I don't see anybody on this team right now that can possibly play as poor of D that JB did last year.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
If C. Johnson at 6'5" and 176 pounds plays any significant time at the four spot I see big games for the player at the 4 spot, the opposing player 4 spot that is. A more likely scenario is when Little sits that CW will switch to the four spot and Dayton will go to a three guard system.

BG was reluctant last year to switch MJ from the two spot to the three spot last year rather he used Perry and Sandoval at the three spot even though MJ was the best rebounder, the best leaper and the best driver of the three and therefore on paper the best player to play that three spot. But Perry and Sandoval both had a body build different from MJ which BG apparently considered important. I therefore believe that BG will again be reluctant to move MJ to the three spot when CW moves to the four spot or CW takes a break. Most likely Perry and Williams both although not as tall but with bigger bodies than C Johnson will split time at the three spot with C Johnson as the fourth option perhaps averaging 5 minutes per game, playing when CW and MJ are on the bench at the same time.

If BG decides to go big, again I do not see C Johnson as the first off the bench. BG could play KH and Searcy at the same time or even if not BG would more likely use Benson as the big man at the 4 spot than C Johnson.

Finally I think it is too soon to write off Thomas. I would project that LW would get the most minutes at PG but that Thomas will get atleast 10 minutes. He will provide the change of pace and steadying influence that the team will need from time to time.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think once the starting line up starts to sub out, we will quickly switch to a 3 guard situation probably for about half the game. I haven't seen CJ play, but I picture him fitting in well at the 3 and possibly playing at the 2 before he sees time playing at 4 spot. Mainly CJ seems to be an outside threat more than an inside with his current size and will be groomed for the 3 spot. With the addition of Kavanaugh next year, we will have 5 bigs on the roster and will probably see Fab, DS and JB taking the time at the 4 where Charles played.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Colonel

I guess we're getting away from original pt of this thread, but I also see C Johnson losing out on minutes, with Paul Williams being the sixth man off the bench, replacing Huelsman or Little and playing SF with Wright moving over to PF. That leaves Perry backing up MJ and Johnson getting < 10 minutes filling in at SF after Wright and Williams.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb

I just hope we do well on neutral court against Marquette(they are preseason ranked 10th and have four, or is it five, returning starters). Also, we have to do well at Creighton. As you might recall, they beat us in OT at their place 2 years ago. But we have different players now and hopefully our incoming freshmen(PW, LF, JB and CJ) can be of BIG help to us, along with Devin Searcy, Stephen Thomas, Mickey Perry, etc. A UD acquaintance I know told me that Stephen Thomas' parents were considering on having him transfer last year because he wasn't getting enough minutes. WOW. You give the best performing players the most minutes. That's how it should work. This is definitely not about whether your son gets enough playing time. We need to get back into the NCAAs next year from having fallen short. Let's hope we do.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Colonel

I see you guys' point about chris johnson being a little small for a 4. but isnt he a good rebounder/scrapper. anyway, you are probably right he wont see much time there if any. but think of it this way---the four man on the other team got off on binnie every game, but that didnt change gregory's stance on binnie at the 4.

how many of you would have said binnie would start at the 4 his senior year when his career was just starting??
Old 07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Binnie should never have really been a 4. He should have been a 3, although he is a little slow for this level of ball and was bit inconsistent (or really hesitant) of a shooter. With our two other bigs being in their first year and CW out, Binnie had the start by default. There really wasn't too much competition to take away his playing time.

CL played better at the 4, but seems to get in quick foul trouble.

We really should have some more depth on the inside this year with Searcy having another year under his belt. CL and CW coming in from the forward positions and a few minutes coming from Benson and Fab each game.

From what I have read about C Johnson, he will get some playing time as well, but he probably will be a little light to get into it on the inside. Sounds like he is scrappy and will be an opportunist though. Johnson could be one of those players that will improve a ton over 4 years.

All this new talent coming on the team, it is going to be a fun year to watch. I think this team pretty much has a clean slate and depending on how well they gel and how hard they work on their game this summer, we could be playing into March.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
From time to time, i would really like to see:

1-lowery/warren (whichever is playing better at the time)
2-williams
3-mj
4-wright
5-little

Just to see the absolute board crashing and high octane play that could result. I know little is undersized at the five. But i'd be willing to roll the dice with that for a while. It would give us three or four guys who could knock down a shot from mid range and beyond. Three or four guys who are monsters on the glass. And everyone of them likes to run, and can run like the wind.

Also, just looking at this list again, every one of these guys can put the ball on the floor from about 15 feet out and drive to the hole. That's a dangerous lineup offensively, and still very solid defensively.

Last edited by Flyer'95; 07-17-2008 at 11:05 AM..
Old 07-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Colonel

That would be an interesting line up. However, If it is speed we are looking for, I think Williams might prefer more of a control game than a run and gun chaotic game. Of the incoming 4 freshman, I think the gazelle is going to be Chris Johnson.

Little has spent some time at the 5 and seems to hold his own since he isn't easily pushed around inside.

Last edited by NorthwestFlyer; 07-16-2008 at 08:36 PM..
Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
Chemistry vs line-ups and matchups

Alot of good observations and ideas about combinations and style of play.
But don't underestimate the effect of chemistry, good or bad.
I agree the possibilities about this group seem very good. But I am curious how the guys are interacting during summer workouts and pick up games.

I tend to trust the known returning guys with leadership, but it has to be an unknown by losing BRob. Trusting each other at key times will be interesting to watch. And whether some start to resent anyone trying to do too much.

Not to equate higher level college basketball to our pick up games, but I would guess every single person on this board has played in games where the winning team did not have the 'best talent' or the 'best players'. That the team that played the right way, moved the ball, and had complimentary skill sets seemed to always beat the other team, even if they were loaded with all of the skilled players.

That is why I am so excited about this season. I sense (from a very distant view) that the guys have 'it'. They have the right personalities, attitudes, and leaders to make the sum greater than the individuals.

Wild card is the new guys. Do they bring the same attitudes and approach to the game, while bringing other benefical skill sets? I loved reading earlier that our point guards were going at things competitively, but does that work together to provide a strong 1a and 1b combination. Or does 1b resent 1a and the collective pair is weakened?

Good stuff. And would I love to just watch the interactions at gym time.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,010 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
From time to time, i would really like to see:

1-lowery/warren (whichever is playing better at the time)
2-williams
3-mj
4-wright
5-little

Just to see the absolute board crashing and high octane play that could result. I know little is undersized at the five. But i'd be willing to roll the dice with that for a while. It would give us three or four guys who could knock down a shot from mid range and beyond. Three or four guys who are monsters on the glass. And everyone of them likes to run, and can run like the wind.

Also, just looking at this list again, every one of these guys can put the ball on the floor from about 15 feet out and drive to the hole. That's a dangerous lineup offensively, and still very solid defensively.

I ee lots of foul trouble for CL at the 5.Almost have to go with KH to start.Hopefully,he has lost some lbs. and is in better shape.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
I dont know if this has been posed but here is some sunshine on the Flyers.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/p...-edition-42439
Old 07-19-2008, 12:00 AM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by daytonflyers View Post
Gilchrist, it is definitely all speculation at this point. for some reason, I see johnson backing up charles at the 4. i thnk gregory will try to use him like he used binnie--a 4 man that is supposed to be able to shoot and hustle.
i think this i s right due to lack of minutes available at the three spot. he may see some two and three duty. i like his skillset, very undefinable type of guy with well rounded game.

as a coach, u always have to plan for one injury also. who will it be this year?

i also don't think we'll see much greatness or minutes for williams as people think. unless perry tanks or something weird happens.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:05 AM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
Depends on how far LW and other point guards come in that time frame .... of course that is relative to the competition. As good as CW and MJ are, their hands are tied if we can't get them the ball ... and more importantly get them the ball on time and in positions to score.
the key to our year certainly, can lowery and Lw get people the ball, not turn it over, and Lead like a point guard should? if they and ST can do this reasonably well, we have a good year ahead.

if lowery ends up being a good offensive player, with solid outside shot/ft shooter -- even better.

if neither happens, we're a grind it out , defense based BG team of coupla years ago. still chance to win, but NOT exciting at all.