User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 AM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
The bad and the ugly

Things are going pretty well for the Flyers, but let's think about the chinks in the armor for a moment.

1. KD. For all of you out there who put logic aside and said "what do you mean teams were sagging off of KD last year, you don't know what you're talking about" I can tell you that Larry and Buckey said at least 2 different times that the defense was sagging off of KD and daring him to shoot it. They said we struggled to get the ball into the post from KD's side because of it.

KD had all of the offseason to practice his shooting. He's 0-4 after 3 games. Very troubling. Teams are going to scout us and look not only at 0-4 but look at last year's stats and it's going to hurt the offense. The worst thing is, he's unselfish to a fault. He's perfectly happy NOT shooting and just playing defense--which ironically is becoming the selfish thing to do.

Everyone has a favorite shooting motion. For some it's off the dribble right, for some it's off a certain type of pass or a spot on the court. Whatever it is, KD needs to know that no one is guarding him, so he needs to pick a couple of plays and just say "I'm going to catch and let it fly in rhythm. Come what may." We can be good with no one guarding him, but he's just GOT to make 30% for us to be an elite team. Well, either that or we have to cross our fingers and hope he makes them during the highest pressure games at the most critical times.

2. KP. KP has almost as many TO's (6), PF (7), and missed FT (4-11 = 7) as buckets (8) on the young season. Is it possible that he wants to be "the man" but he's finding that not only is Cooke the more effective scorer, but Steve is the more dominant force in the paint? Last year we had a PF/PF offense, but this year through 3 games it's been a more traditional G/C offense. Is he a man without a home suddenly?

I think he needs to get himself going with a focused effort on offensive boards and running on the break. Right now he looks like he's forcing it trying to recapture the magic from last year.

3. BW. BW has regressed. I was totally calling for him to get ~10 MPG with steady uperclassman leadership. He looks terrible out there. Clearly outclassed. I'm going to call this one after only 3 games: I was wrong.

4. Crosby. Disappointing that in the last 2 games he got garbage time + zero time. AM must really have very little confidence in him. Schoochie played 17 MPG as a freshman, Price played 18. The UD website shows that he's averaging 8.5 MPG but it's wrong, he's played 12 + 5 + 0 / 3 = 5.7 MPG.

We don't have a backup PG right now. DD and KD are not PG's in any way. DD is just barely serviceable as a PG. If someone presses us with SS out of the game it might be ugly. I would automatically overplay every pass when SS leaves the game. I think we would panic.

I don't know what's going on in practice or his head, but he needs to focus on playing no-frills team defense and just entering the ball into the offense. Stay out of trouble, don't be a hero, go sit on the bench and start building some success.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigred (11-22-2015), Flyer 86 (11-22-2015), frisco flyer (11-23-2015), IAFlyer (11-23-2015), LI Flyer (11-22-2015)
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
That's not how playing time is calculated. If you don't play that game cannot count against you in the stats. I get what you are saying but the UD website is correct.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (11-22-2015), Figgie123 (11-22-2015), Gazoo (11-22-2015), IAFlyer (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Things are going pretty well for the Flyers, but let's think about the chinks in the armor for a moment.

1. KD. For all of you out there who put logic aside and said "what do you mean teams were sagging off of KD last year, you don't know what you're talking about" I can tell you that Larry and Buckey said at least 2 different times that the defense was sagging off of KD and daring him to shoot it. They said we struggled to get the ball into the post from KD's side because of it.

KD had all of the offseason to practice his shooting. He's 0-4 after 3 games. Very troubling. Teams are going to scout us and look not only at 0-4 but look at last year's stats and it's going to hurt the offense. The worst thing is, he's unselfish to a fault. He's perfectly happy NOT shooting and just playing defense--which ironically is becoming the selfish thing to do.

Everyone has a favorite shooting motion. For some it's off the dribble right, for some it's off a certain type of pass or a spot on the court. Whatever it is, KD needs to know that no one is guarding him, so he needs to pick a couple of plays and just say "I'm going to catch and let it fly in rhythm. Come what may." We can be good with no one guarding him, but he's just GOT to make 30% for us to be an elite team. Well, either that or we have to cross our fingers and hope he makes them during the highest pressure games at the most critical times.

2. KP. KP has almost as many TO's (6), PF (7), and missed FT (4-11 = 7) as buckets (8) on the young season. Is it possible that he wants to be "the man" but he's finding that not only is Cooke the more effective scorer, but Steve is the more dominant force in the paint? Last year we had a PF/PF offense, but this year through 3 games it's been a more traditional G/C offense. Is he a man without a home suddenly?

I think he needs to get himself going with a focused effort on offensive boards and running on the break. Right now he looks like he's forcing it trying to recapture the magic from last year.

3. BW. BW has regressed. I was totally calling for him to get ~10 MPG with steady uperclassman leadership. He looks terrible out there. Clearly outclassed. I'm going to call this one after only 3 games: I was wrong.

4. Crosby. Disappointing that in the last 2 games he got garbage time + zero time. AM must really have very little confidence in him. Schoochie played 17 MPG as a freshman, Price played 18. The UD website shows that he's averaging 8.5 MPG but it's wrong, he's played 12 + 5 + 0 / 3 = 5.7 MPG.

We don't have a backup PG right now. DD and KD are not PG's in any way. DD is just barely serviceable as a PG. If someone presses us with SS out of the game it might be ugly. I would automatically overplay every pass when SS leaves the game. I think we would panic.

I don't know what's going on in practice or his head, but he needs to focus on playing no-frills team defense and just entering the ball into the offense. Stay out of trouble, don't be a hero, go sit on the bench and start building some success.
For BW and KP, it looks like the thrill is gone...but they still have a chance to get it back!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Pollard appears to be like some running backs, that unless they gets the ball a bunch and have the adrenaline flowing, he is a little lost and mopes to himself. His season can go two ways: adjust to the fact he is not the centerpiece and to find his role and enjoy it, or keep plowing along in his old ways and have only occasional moments. We need his big games, so I hope the last few minutes yesterday woke him up.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-22-2015), runnerup (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
This season has just begun! Archie and his staff are trying to win games with 6 new faces sitting on the bench looking for minutes. Sometimes a short bench works i.e. last year, sometimes the bench is longer and on some levels it may require a better coaching performance than if you only have 6 scholarship players, a serviceable walk-on and a prayer like last year!

KP will be fine. If anything IMHO he is simply trying to do too much.....too much! He was pre-season third team A-10 and he should forget that and just do what he does best instead of at times looking for an opportunity for a top-10 play! He's got to stay away from early fouls and pick his spots for offense. I don't consider him unloading a 3 in a game like yesterday a good choice----whether he made it or not!

Bobby is Bobby! A great kid who had a once in a lifetime experience last year as a walk on at a place like UD. He is an engineer. I don't think he planned on making a living playing basketball and honestly I don't think last years experience changed his thinking. It's a different "view" for everyone this year from the bench-------he'll be used, just has to perform up to his abilities when given a chance and he'll be fine!

We are three games in..........just my 3 cents!
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (11-22-2015), Cityengr (11-22-2015), Flyer14 (11-23-2015), NYCFLYER (11-22-2015), San Diego Flyer (11-22-2015), UDEE79 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute

A few thoughts based on your comments...

1) I tend to agree on KD. That's why I think the 19m he got yesterday will be about the average he sees this year.

2) KP has had a shaky start but I wouldn't read too much into it...yet. Let's see how Orlando goes. He has shot himself in the foot on foul trouble these first few games, so let's hope he can learn to play alongside Steve and get it straightened out. They'll gel, it's just early and new to everyone. And while he hasn't had a ton of points, he has been doing the little things well...he had a few key rebounds yesterday.

3) BW is a good story for the ESPN commentators to talk about -- the walk on that earned a scholarship. Nothing more.

4) I disagree on JC. The truth is, we just can't form any opinions at this point. Scoochie is by far our most important player and player we can least afford to lose. Because of that, his minutes won't go down. He's had a great start to the season and the offense looks completely different with him at the helm. Because of this, I don't think it's that AM doesn't have confidence in JC, rather he has so much confidence in SS. SS played 36m yesterday and if he played 34m I'm not sure we win.

It's early. We currently have 4 returning players (not including BW or DP), a transfer and a bunch of freshman that play meaningful minutes. New faces, new lineups, depth, height....all things we didn't have last year. It's all new. In these non-con games there will be a few games like Alabama and a few games like W&M while we iron things out.

Last edited by 224; 11-22-2015 at 10:55 AM..
Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:57 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
!

KP will be fine. If anything IMHO he is simply trying to do too much.....too much! He was pre-season third team A-10 and he should forget that and just do what he does best instead of at times looking for an opportunity for a top-10 play! He's got to stay away from early fouls and pick his spots for offense. I don't consider him unloading a 3 in a game like yesterday a good choice----whether he made it or not!

!
I think the shot clock went off as the ball was in the air, so good choice to be aware of the clock and shoot the three when he did, our only other option was a turnover.

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 11-22-2015 at 11:00 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (11-22-2015), jack72 (11-22-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
At this point, we are 3-0 and got our asses tested yesterday..............HARD. Can't ask for more then that headed to Orlando.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-22-2015), NYCFLYER (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 12:07 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
i think points 1 and 2 are valid points. I think KP thinks he's the man, and agree the offense is setup differently this year with Big Steve in the picture.

I think Kyle can be the best options at backup point than the other 2.

Points 3 and 4 i couldn't care less. Crosby will come around by game 10 or 12, and that (i hope ) will be fine.

He's a wild freshman, gotta let the game slow down and find his rhythms.

1 Month to DP returning, is all i have to say! That will solve some of the ball movement issues, KP issues (the 2 are admittedly used to playing together, and have a little high low going) , plus Kendall would pick up offensive rebounds off of misses last year - from DP, Scooch, Sibert. He's a more of a garbage guy KP is, than a go to guy. And REALLY GOOD at that role.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
I've only seen parts of 1 game. Have we been fast breaking in games 1 and 2 (probably less so in W &M).

How good has the fast break been?
Old 11-22-2015, 12:34 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I think Kyle's outside shot is a concern. William and Mary seemed to beg him to shoot in the first half. UD made only 1 three point hos tin the first half. Fortunately, there are other players who are very good at shooting the 3 ball. Darrell has yet to start a streak and you know he is capable. Charles and Ryan both have nice strokes.

William and Mary stuffed and sagged a lot in the first half. Kendall and Scochie tried to navigate inside without much success.

I think Kendall's issues arise from having Steve inside which brings more defense to him and Kyle not hitting outside shots.

First play of the 2nd half, Charles Cooke hits a 3. The complexion changed immediately. Offense opened up and the William and Mary defense had to stretch.

It is early yet. The team is still learning spacing and each other. The coaching staff knows there is a lot of room for improvement. The standard coach speak of "We have to get better" applies to almost every team in college basketball right now.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 02:02 PM
Captain

Cityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to all
Geez folks....it is way early and we are 3-0! Let's stay positive with three freshmen (Mikesell, Xeyrius, and Sam) playing alot, two redshirt newcomers (Big Steve and Cooke) bringing it and four "young" veterans from last year (KP, KD, DD, and Scoochie) playing well.

1. I'd take KD every night with shutdown "D" limiting their leading scorer by -10,-12 etc.
2. KP will find his game and place with AM's help. Twice late in the WM game he grabbed key rebounds off missed FTs and made his own FTs with a little nod and smile at the bench saying I got this.
3. BW will get less PT because of the frosh, but when called upon he will be ready and will help this team in one or two key moments this season.
4. JC just needs time. Lets give him that under the eye and guidance of AM. DD can fill in as needed but this team goes as Scoochie goes.

Lets all enjoy Thanksgiving and see what happens in Orlando!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Cityengr For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (11-23-2015), NYCFLYER (11-22-2015), San Diego Flyer (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 02:02 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It seems to me that we have had a fair number of breakaway baskets this season but very few well-executed 2 on 1, or 3 on 2 fundamental fast breaks. Need some technical work on those. Nothing to fret about, but we are far from a polished fast break team at this early point of the season. That's not to say we aren't pushing the pace like Arch wants.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 02:18 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post

If he unloads a 3 with the shotclock at.01 or less, I have no problem with that and I have to admit, his form and the shot was a thing of beauty that I didn't expect. My biggest fear was that because he made it, he'd try it again at some other point in the shotclock, but he didn't so that was fine. And with the shot clock winding down, his shooting a 3 might actually be the only open option a lot since that's not what defenses are concentrating on.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I had more of a problem when we finally had some momentum and KP waived off one of the guards and brought the ball up court himself. He then proceeded to do something bad - I forget if it was a turnover or a bad shot.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Scoochie has played in over three times as many NCAA tournament games (7), as Crosby has played in college games (2). Should we really be concerned that Archie has more confidence in Scoochie at this point? Or even DD? Vee Sanford got a lot more run at the beginning of Scoochie's freshmen year. Crosby will need time to learn and make mistakes, just like Scooch did.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
axehandle (11-22-2015), Flyer 86 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
I feel much more comfortable with DD at point guard this year. I'm not concerned about DD giving Scooch 5-10 minutes off or more if Crosby isn't ready yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gilchrist's Autograph 2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (11-22-2015), ClaytonFlyerFan (11-22-2015), Flyer 86 (11-22-2015), shocka43 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 03:15 PM

Thanked 9,815 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute

Where to begin....hope there isn't a bridge too close by...

KD...so what if teams are playing off of him..see London Warren...except DD can shoot at times...you know how to beat that? Ball movement and ensuring that KD gets the entry pass into the paint before the defense has a chance to sag off of him. We have ALWAYS had some players that could be played off of a bit. Defensive schemes are going to do that against UD this year...teams can pick...sag off a couple perimeter players and not get beat up in the paint...or play strong on ball D and open up the big guys. I would take KD's defense over being a set shooter liability any day of the week. He can use the separation to his benefit...

Pollard is fine. Guy goes from being the go to guy in the paint to not being the #1 back to the basket post threat. He is good at facing the basket. We are going to see plenty of zone and he can slash from the top of the key like a Charles Little. He is going to have a curve this year being that he is in a totally different environment having Steve in there as a true 5. He needs to stay within himself and let the game come to him.

BW did what he needed to do in a time that he needed to be counted on. The demographic of this team is much different. He isn't needed as a 6/7 guy this season. He is back to a role player...not a big deal with young talent coming off the bench.

Not concerned with Crosby...See Scoochie Smith, DD, and KD being able to satisfy guard duties...Unless SS finds injury or foul trouble, he will be playing close to 30 minutes a game once the season wears on. That may also increase. I would be concerned with Crosby if SS went down...I am not concerned with the other guys filling in...DD can handle the point just fine and he is a steal generator when guarding the PG.

We come off a win against a pretty strong W&M team and all of a sudden we have "major" issues. If we get exposed in Orlando you can say I told ya so...but there are way too many variables with this team right now to be overly concerned with the shortfalls...

Last edited by shocka43; 11-22-2015 at 03:19 PM..
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
chicago92 (11-22-2015), Cityengr (11-22-2015), ClaytonFlyerFan (11-22-2015), flyerfanatic86 (11-23-2015), NYCFLYER (11-22-2015), SeasonTicketFan (11-22-2015), Smitty10 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 03:29 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
It's obvious that JC is going to brought along slowly. That was evident in the Bama game because with an insurmountable lead and lot's of time on the clock, AM found it more important to get DD and KD their backup PG minutes rather than JC. This makes sense when seeing what lays ahead in the immediate future(the Orlando tournament).

I actually think it would be a good idea at some point to have Scooch and JC in the game at the same time so that JC can get some kind of game action, get his feet wet without having PG responsibility just yet. Those times will probably come in the last minutes with a lead that dictates we just protect the ball. It also might help force him to slow down his game and play under control.

But once we get by the important RPI games and DD and KD have their roles down as backup PG, I think you'll get to see JC more leading the Offense when the game is in hand or for a minute or two in the middle.

Really, what's important with JC is that he's ready to take the full amount of minutes as backup PG by the start of next season, and if he picks it up early enough for it to be the end of this season, that's icing on the cake.

Last edited by Smitty10; 11-22-2015 at 03:34 PM..
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:12 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Kendall has lacked patience on offense and discipline on defense. He needs to do his job and let the game come to him. Want an easy bucket? Grab an offensive rebound and stick it back in.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-22-2015), rollo (11-22-2015), shocka43 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:50 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Players earn minutes in practice. We are not privy to what's going on there. If they can't find their way in practice as yet, there is plenty of opportunity later. Arch is not concerned at pg right now with Dyshawn out. We are going to need that wing slot covered and there is where the emphasis needs to be, with Xeyrius and Ryan. Also Sam needs minutes backing up Steve.
Crosby can wait. He's got a great career ahead of him at the right time.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
KP and KD

both have offensive shortcomings that they continually work on. But their games go way beyond mere offensive skills and defensive ability. They are winners from Chicago that put the swag in the Dayton program. They can do all of the little things that all basketball coaches appreciate be it a steal, rebound, screen or block out. They both have extraordinary court vision and pass the ball to the open shooter. They can block shots and leap very high. But it is their leadership on the court that is hard to measure. Both deserve to start and both will contribute in a big way to a very successful season. Their intensity will serve as a great role model for the younger players.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (11-22-2015), Flyer 86 (11-22-2015), jack72 (11-22-2015), SeasonTicketFan (11-22-2015), Smitty10 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
A lot is being said about KD's lack of offense. Seems to me that the key stat category is his +/- rate, by himself as well as in combination with 1 or 2 teammates. If he's in the top 2 or 3 guards on this team in +/-, then obviously he deserves more PT. But if there are 4 other guards whose overall +/- is better, then the team does better when he's not in there. Figgie, what say ye'?
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-23-2015), Smitty10 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Kyle and Kendall both made big, big plays down the stretch. Kyle had the steal and basket. Kendall rebounded the UD free throw on the offensive end. Both of those plays were significant in the win.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
John C. (11-22-2015), Smitty10 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
In reference to KD, the pass he made to an open Charles Cooke who nailed a three was otherworldly. The TWC Sports Network guys were dumbfounded and amazed that KD could even see CC, let alone hit him with a perfect pass. Me, I was blown away that he did it without traveling.

In a thread titled the good, bad and ugly that pass was among the goodest.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-22-2015), fuz_forward (11-23-2015), jack72 (11-23-2015), Smitty10 (11-22-2015), TMPH66 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
In reference to KD, the pass he made to an open Charles Cooke who nailed a three was otherworldly. The TWC Sports Network guys were dumbfounded and amazed that KD could even see CC, let alone hit him with a perfect pass. Me, I was blown away that he did it without traveling.

In a thread titled the good, bad and ugly that pass was among the goodest.
The thread is titled "The bad and the ugly". I am afraid if you start posting the good, the thread police will come after you.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 09:42 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
They are winners from Chicago that put the swag in the Dayton program.
This is a key statement...not only those guys...

Cooke got into it with the opposition yesterday and AM had to tell him to knock it off from the bench. Granted, I don't want guys getting smoked on techs...but to have guys that aren't going to take crap and play with an aggressive attitude...I like it...don't back down from anyone. Between Pollard, DD, and Cooke....we have three heavy minute earners with the "I'm not taking any crap" attitudes.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (11-22-2015), Flyer 86 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:42 PM

I agree with the no intimidation thing. But some players just don't know where and when to stop and Lord help them if it costs us a game by technicals and/or ejection. Like when Tony Stanley, after a nice bucket, slapped the floor in a display of defensive bravado while his man ran ran the court for a layup.

There is a right way and a wrong way to not take any crap.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Are we really worried about Bobby Wehrli here? When Pierre comes back, he might be less than an afterthought. That's some real manufactured concern there.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-23-2015), jack72 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Staff Writer

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
The thread is titled "The bad and the ugly". I am afraid if you start posting the good, the thread police will come after you.
Guess I had old Clint Eastwood flicks on the brain.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-23-2015), Flyer 86 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I bet a thread like this with concerns about the season (so far) was posted last year and the year before last year! (But I an't spending the time to look it up.)

We are 3-0 and to listen to some, already there are holes in the team, in the player and in the players game!

I for one, am enjoying the moment(s) and interested in seeing new players grow and experienced players develop their game from last year.

We all know Archie won't be able to right the ship that is listing to the port side! (If indeed the ship is listing at all, for peepers sake!)

When was the last time UD had this many freshmen to mesh into the current system? When was the last time so many freshmen and returning players (who were quite comfortable playing small ball and saw limited player rotation) had to change/adapt to each other?

I bet in quite some time! So let us sit back and if you want to fret and b-ich then do it with out all the hub bub and wait a bit longer than 3 games to voice concern ...

I distinctly remember a season awhile ago that people were standing on the ledge after a start in the conference that somehow came out OK. But maybe you thought Archie was a one trick pony and was plain lucky.

Then again maybe he is the coach we have been waiting for since a certain Hall of Fame coach by the name of Don Donoher was here.

But then again AM may NOT yet be ready to have this team ready to play and we need to see what we want to see.

Others will trust in Archie Miller. I'm one of them!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-23-2015), fuz_forward (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 12:58 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Where to begin....hope there isn't a bridge too close by...

We come off a win against a pretty strong W&M team and all of a sudden we have "major" issues. If we get exposed in Orlando you can say I told ya so...but there are way too many variables with this team right now to be overly concerned with the shortfalls...
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
That's some real manufactured concern there.
I guess it's my fault since I didn't add the internet chat board required disclaimer:

1. No, the world is not ending.

2. Yes, I realize that we're 3-0, so not everything with the team is totally horrible.

3. No, I'm not suggesting we fire AM immediately for poor recruiting or incompetence.

4. Yes, I actually DO realize that we're very early into a season and that a great many things can change / improve.

5. No, we should not scrap the entire offense (defense) and start over.

Geez, guys, take your meds.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-09-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 12:59 PM
General

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
I bet a thread like this with concerns about the season (so far) was posted last year and the year before last year! (But I an't spending the time to look it up.)

We are 3-0 and to listen to some, already there are holes in the team, in the player and in the players game!

I for one, am enjoying the moment(s) and interested in seeing new players grow and experienced players develop their game from last year.

We all know Archie won't be able to right the ship that is listing to the port side! (If indeed the ship is listing at all, for peepers sake!)

When was the last time UD had this many freshmen to mesh into the current system? When was the last time so many freshmen and returning players (who were quite comfortable playing small ball and saw limited player rotation) had to change/adapt to each other?

I bet in quite some time! So let us sit back and if you want to fret and b-ich then do it with out all the hub bub and wait a bit longer than 3 games to voice concern ...

I distinctly remember a season awhile ago that people were standing on the ledge after a start in the conference that somehow came out OK. But maybe you thought Archie was a one trick pony and was plain lucky.

Then again maybe he is the coach we have been waiting for since a certain Hall of Fame coach by the name of Don Donoher was here.

But then again AM may NOT yet be ready to have this team ready to play and we need to see what we want to see.

Others will trust in Archie Miller. I'm one of them!
Aaaaand . . . add one more.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:27 PM

I guess it's my fault since I didn't add the internet chat board required disclaimer:

1. No, the world is not ending.

2. Yes, I realize that we're 3-0, so not everything with the team is totally horrible.

3. No, I'm not suggesting we fire AM immediately for poor recruiting or incompetence.

4. Yes, I actually DO realize that we're very early into a season and that a great many things can change / improve.

5. No, we should not scrap the entire offense (defense) and start over.

Meds are in stock...when a post is headlined the "bad and the ugly"...it sets the tone...nothing has really been ugly...nothing has been horribly bad...just stuff they need to work on and is expected with the new bodies on the floor...had your disclaimer been there, you may not have received that response.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute

Take my meds? My meds? You are worrying about our 11th man here. That's all I pointed out.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-25-2015), FLYER5 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Major General

NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
With only 3 games into the season?

Aaaaand . . . add one more.
So for someone who starts a thread " The bad and the ugly " after only 3 games (as you said you realize that) you're the one who should be on meds!

Me? I've been on them for a couple years now. And I'm feelin just fine!
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-25-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a bad/ugly stat I learned by listening to the Archie Miller show on whio. Sam Miller currently leads the nation in fouls per minute!
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-24-2015), Flyer 86 (11-25-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 PM
General

There's a difference between an assessment of the bad and the ugly after 3 games and a prediction that those things are irreversible or will persist. Except BW.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
General

KD now 2-11 on the year, trailing KP and Sam Miller in terms of %.

KP is statistically worse this year in terms of FT%, FG%, 3P%, points per game, blocks, flat on rebounds, and slightly better on TO. His minutes are down slightly so that could impact some numbers.

BW is back to being basically a deep bench player.

Crosby might be leading the nation in TO per minute played.

Still not worried that much about KP, but I'm still concerned about KD's shooting and our backup PG situation (DD shooting only 24% from 3 with an A/TO ratio of 1:1 and Crosby isn't settled down yet). At least KD is letting it fly sometimes to make teams think he just might shoot it, and he's 2-7 after starting 0-4. I still think Crosby needs to get a couple minutes of game time every game where he does nothing but dribble it up the court, enter the offense, and play defense. Nothing fancy, build his confidence.

EDIT: I forgot to add: THE WORLD IS ENDING! CRACK YOUR CYANIDE PILLS IMMEDIATELY!!

Last edited by Gazoo; 12-09-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Old 12-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Thumbs up I'll take it !

RPI 7th

SOS 3rd in A10

Record 7-1 with no bad loss.

A Vanderbilt road win !!

Missing one of our top players.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 12-09-2015 at 11:47 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-09-2015), Flyer 86 (12-09-2015), Flyer69ers (12-09-2015), Gazoo (12-09-2015), Tony T 71 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 05:40 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
We will not live and die by KD's threes, but it would be nice. He and DD are total headcases on shooting threes. Davis looks great on two in a row last game, then falls back into a funk for the next three.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Major General

Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
But

DD has a history of being a great shooter. KD is a slasher with lesser shooting skills. With DD it is a matter of confidence. KD is a defender first and a scorer as an after thought.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-10-2015), FLYER5 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 08:19 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
We will not live and die by KD's threes, but it would be nice. He and DD are total headcases on shooting threes. Davis looks great on two in a row last game, then falls back into a funk for the next three.
I think DD will do better shooting the three if it was a priority for him. It seems since the start of the season, his focus is on becoming a complete player and running the offense as backup to Scooch. I don't think he is ever going to be a good PG. I hope the coaches tell him to focus on getting open and taking more 3's he will help the team much more than he has been so far.

I actually think Crosby is going to be a very good PG. The game is a little fast for him right now, but if he is given the opportunity to be out on the floor more, he will get better in a hurry.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-10-2015), Glen Clark (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Major General

There's a difference between an assessment of the bad and the ugly after 3 games and a prediction that those things are irreversible or will persist. Except BW.
If that is your realization why post so much 'worry' about that which may not be part of a later outcome?

We were 3-0 and you became Debbie Downer or persistent pessimist?

KP is statistically worse this year in terms of FT%, FG%, 3P%, points per game, blocks, flat on rebounds, and slightly better on TO. His minutes are down slightly so that could impact some numbers.

Still not worried that much about KP, but I'm still concerned about KD's shooting and our backup PG situation (DD shooting only 24% from 3 with an A/TO ratio of 1:1 and Crosby isn't settled down yet). At least KD is letting it fly sometimes to make teams think he just might shoot it, and he's 2-7 after starting 0-4. I still think Crosby needs to get a couple minutes of game time every game where he does nothing but dribble it up the court, enter the offense, and play defense. Nothing fancy, build his confidence.
Gazoo, you need to lighten up. Enjoy what you have and see as a True Team. Do they have some warts and weakness? Yes, But we are now 7-1 and beat some named/good teams so far.

Looking at all things in the negative doesn't allow for enjoying the moment.

THE WORLD IS ENDING! CRACK YOUR CYANIDE PILLS IMMEDIATELY!!
I note this as sarcasm, but not sure what you will do if we go and continue winning with all these player performance issues.

Oh! AND now we are 7-1!
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 07:01 AM
General

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
If that is your realization why post so much 'worry' about that which may not be part of a later outcome?

We were 3-0 and you became Debbie Downer or persistent pessimist?

Gazoo, you need to lighten up. Enjoy what you have and see as a True Team. Do they have some warts and weakness? Yes, But we are now 7-1 and beat some named/good teams so far.

Looking at all things in the negative doesn't allow for enjoying the moment.

I note this as sarcasm, but not sure what you will do if we go and continue winning with all these player performance issues.

Oh! AND now we are 7-1!
You remind me a lot of our current batch of presidential candidates. If you repeat something enough times you think it will become fact.

You can paint me as whatever caricature of a UD fan you like, most people can clearly see that I'm just pointing out that some things could be much better and leave us open to being exploited in certain aspects of the game.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I'm always worried about KD's 3 point shooting but, tell me, would you rather have a kid that might hit 2 3's a game, maybe, and go to sleep playing defense or no where to be found at the end of a game, wanting the ball, making aggressive moves to the bucket, in-your-face defense, making huge FT's, etc.?

Yes, I've come to realize that maybe, just maybe but it's still early, that KD may never be even a 30% 3 point shooter and that maybe, just maybe, that defenders lay off of him by 6-8 feet from 20 feet out the next two years..But to watch this kid play Secretary of Defense role, get his hand on balls, disrupt opponents offensive flows, rebound the ball, etc. etc. and do these things when most players curl up in fetal positions is something that is just in his DNA among incredible physical gifts that just don't translate necessarily to a shooting skill..

Not sure I've seen many players anywhere that can simply have as little a stat line as KD but as enormous an impact on a game............He's clearly THE leader of this team and there ain't a guy on that roster that wants a piece of him or hardly a one that shines like he does in the most dire of situations when others have hands on hips with exhaustion and puppy-like stares just hoping they can be reassured that all will be okay..

And this is coming from a guy that has been highly critical of KD's shooting to the point that he might be a better top sub who still would log his mpg...All I know is that I WANT THAT SOB KD out there on the floor alot of minutes and especially at the end of a game..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-10-2015), CJ2etc (12-10-2015), jack72 (12-10-2015), longtimefan67 (12-10-2015), PalmBeachFlyer (12-10-2015), Tony T 71 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Bad and ugly last night was free throw shooting, aside from the first half 16-point deficit.

Vandy had a game-tying layup spin out, otherwise we are sweating that one way more than we should've thanks to Scooch and Cooke's awful FT shooting.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Major General

You remind me a lot of our current batch of presidential candidates. If you repeat something enough times you think it will become fact.

You can paint me as whatever caricature of a UD fan you like, most people can clearly see that I'm just pointing out that some things could be much better and leave us open to being exploited in certain aspects of the game.
Gee! I'm in great company then. Is it the clown? The lair? The socialist? Who?

Not painting you into anything. Your tone and writing does that.

I know the team has a lot to work on. After all they could be 8-0 but are only 7-1.

As for repeating things multiple times ... not only can it be used to turn a false premise into the 'truth' it is used in professional education as a means to teach new concepts ....

But I will move on and enjoy this for what it is rather than what it could be but isn't ...
Old 12-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,107 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I'm always worried about KD's 3 point shooting but, tell me, would you rather have a kid that might hit 2 3's a game, maybe, and go to sleep playing defense or no where to be found at the end of a game, wanting the ball, making aggressive moves to the bucket, in-your-face defense, making huge FT's, etc.?

Yes, I've come to realize that maybe, just maybe but it's still early, that KD may never be even a 30% 3 point shooter and that maybe, just maybe, that defenders lay off of him by 6-8 feet from 20 feet out the next two years..But to watch this kid play Secretary of Defense role, get his hand on balls, disrupt opponents offensive flows, rebound the ball, etc. etc. and do these things when most players curl up in fetal positions is something that is just in his DNA among incredible physical gifts that just don't translate necessarily to a shooting skill..

Not sure I've seen many players anywhere that can simply have as little a stat line as KD but as enormous an impact on a game............He's clearly THE leader of this team and there ain't a guy on that roster that wants a piece of him or hardly a one that shines like he does in the most dire of situations when others have hands on hips with exhaustion and puppy-like stares just hoping they can be reassured that all will be okay..

And this is coming from a guy that has been highly critical of KD's shooting to the point that he might be a better top sub who still would log his mpg...All I know is that I WANT THAT SOB KD out there on the floor alot of minutes and especially at the end of a game..
There were lots of key plays down the stretch last night vs Vandy; Pollard hitting a desperation 3 as time was expiring was huge. But I thought KD showed incredible poise hitting those foul shots AND grabbing that huge rebound near the end of the game where he got the foul. This guy is a winner, end of comment.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (12-10-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-10-2015), ud2 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I am a huge KD fan. He remains my favorite player on the team for the element of disruption and quickness he gives that no one besides maybe Crosby possesses.

He's bailed the team out with non-statistical plays since he's been here. He's a warrior who doesn't get flustered. He frustrates oponents with in-yo-face D, but I can't ever remember him getting T'd up.

But, it seems he has struggled to improve his shooting, and even seems to have gotten worse. He's also been making more turnovers and his free throw shooting is off.
But when crunch-time rolls around he always makes plays.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
What's up with Scoochie missing short on his shots, even at the line? Seems he gets it there better with a guy in his face.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:23 AM

KD's layup off of a great pass by Schooch was huge. KD's quickness beat the 7 footer. Most guys get blocked.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
What's up with Scoochie missing short on his shots, even at the line? Seems he gets it there better with a guy in his face.
Tired legs.......Too many minutes......Need JC to keep developing to take 8-9 mpg away from SS..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-10-2015), Sea Bass (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
I am a huge KD fan. He remains my favorite player on the team for the element of disruption and quickness he gives that no one besides maybe Crosby possesses.

He's bailed the team out with non-statistical plays since he's been here. He's a warrior who doesn't get flustered. He frustrates oponents with in-yo-face D, but I can't ever remember him getting T'd up.

But, it seems he has struggled to improve his shooting, and even seems to have gotten worse. He's also been making more turnovers and his free throw shooting is off.
But when crunch-time rolls around he always makes plays.
KD is shooting 76% from the line as for turn overs KD and Scooch are at 14. Scooch has 14 steals to KD 11. This is updated from last night's game
Old 12-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Brigadier General

Tired legs.......Too many minutes......Need JC to keep developing to take 8-9 mpg away from SS..
Looks like his shooting motion is starting a little lower than usual to me. Announcer made the comment to get a hand up on his shots because of his low release. I know tired legs leads to short foul shots but seems he's been equally short on the jumper too.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
KD is shooting 76% from the line as for turn overs KD and Scooch are at 14. Scooch has 14 steals to KD 11. This is updated from last night's game
Yeah, the turnovers have been contagious and shared equally throughout it seems. That needs fixed. I'm actually surprised that KD's % is not off. I remember him missing some that were rushed up there and it seems to me he shoots best after he measures the distance and height to the hoop with his eyes I haven't noticed him doing it lately. The early shooting woes last night was hard to watch. I'm glad that memory was shoved to the background gray layers. Go Flyers!
Old 12-10-2015, 01:49 PM
General

Would you rather have a boat that doesn't sink but with no motor or a boat that does sink with a giant motor? This is fun.

But, anyway, back to basketball, I'd rather have a basketball player with a complete game than one without a complete game. However, I love having KD on the team, he's a real difference maker. Now if he could just shoot a little bit it would be awesome.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:03 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
IMO Scooch was tired late. He played the entire 2nd half.

It seems as if Archie is not going to give DD minutes backing up SS. He obviously wants Crosby to take that role and is trying to grow him into it. Unfortunately whenever Scoochie is not on the floor the offense seems to collapse. IMO Archie's biggest challenge is finding a lineup that can succeed when Scooch is on the bench.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-10-2015), Whacker (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 PM

I think this game was thought of as a key component on our resume and Arch would have played Scoochie 40 minutes if it took that to squeeze out a W. I don't see heavy minutes as a trend for Smith. This was a really big win for Dayton and the second half it was there for the taking. No time to rest your thoroughbreds.

When you only play one ooc true road game, and it's a ranked team, the theater doesn't get much bigger than that.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 12-11-2015 at 03:00 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (12-10-2015), CE80 (12-11-2015), flyerfanatic86 (12-11-2015)
Old 01-04-2016, 02:15 PM
General

EDIT: I forgot to add: THE WORLD IS ENDING! CRACK YOUR CYANIDE PILLS IMMEDIATELY!!
KD still not looking great from outside the arc, but, looks like ugly to me. 25% on the year. I actually wish he would not be afraid to pull the trigger a time or 2 more per game.

KP still doesn't look good. He doesn't look bad (except FT's) he just doesn't look good. Still time to catch fire.

BW: moving on.

Crosby: still under 1:1 on the A/TO ratio but has looked less unsteady. I'd still like to see him play ultra-conservative for a 5 game stretch and just reach the point that he earns more confidence from his coaches and teammates. Still seems like he's trying to hard.

It seems the biggest "ugly" right now is team chemistry, everyone seems frustrated to me. Things just aren't clicking like they could be. But I really don't think we're that far off. The biggest thing is keeping Steve on the floor and having Sam produce something that's a positive for UD and not the other team.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:34 PM
Major General

Recently Watched Video

of Scoochie as a Freshman backing up Khari Price and he was slightly better than Crosby.
His tempo was too fast (nerves) and he made turnovers and took bad shots. He did not run the half court as smoothly as Price. But Archie was patient with him and continued to put him in pressure situations. Viola...he is now a Junior and what a gem of a Point Guard!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
of Scoochie as a Freshman backing up Khari Price and he was slightly better than Crosby.
His tempo was too fast (nerves) and he made turnovers and took bad shots. He did not run the half court as smoothly as Price. But Archie was patient with him and continued to put him in pressure situations. Viola...he is now a Junior and what a gem of a Point Guard!
I do not remember being as worried when Scoochie came in as I am when Crosby comes in. Maybe Crosby's nature is more aggressive and that show off his "freshman-ness" some more. I know that when Khari left, I thought Scootchie would do ok (and he's done more than ok!). At this point, I'd be cringing if we lost Scootchie.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, but...

When Khari's knees really started to bother him early in the conference season and we got more and more Schoochie at the point, UD really struggled before putting things together in February and March.

I think that's a mix of Schoochie being a little more ready for D1 play plus us tending to remember the end of the year more than the beginning to middle.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:43 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Yes, but...

When Khari's knees really started to bother him early in the conference season and we got more and more Schoochie at the point, UD really struggled before putting things together in February and March.

I think that's a mix of Schoochie being a little more ready for D1 play plus us tending to remember the end of the year more than the beginning to middle.
Definitely agree on SS building his stats at the end of the year. Full year stats were 1.78 A/TO ratio with 73 assists. No chance Crosby will get 73 assists for the year, he's got 12 right now. SS played 17 minutes per game, Crosby at about 8 (and often 0). The averages won't work out, no way he'll be as productive as a freshman as SS was but at the same time SS was pressed into action because of Khari's health so it's not a bad thing.

If Crosby averages 10 minutes per game for the rest of the year and plays every game, it will be a highly successful freshman year playing behind such a high performer as SS.

I think it would be great if we could cut SS's minutes to 30 per game on average, it would mean 2 things. We're winning games big enough we don't need him, and Crosby has earned enough confidence that he's not blowing big leads just by being on the court.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-04-2016), CoffeeCan (01-04-2016), Flyer 86 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I distinctly remember my first impressions of Scoochie were less than stellar, much less. He looked disinterested in defense, over aggressive to selfish on offense and not strong enough to finish around the rim to varying degrees in the first half of his frosh season. By the end of the season, he was rock steady in all those regards outside of the strength finishing around the rim, which he promptly took care of by working his hind end off his first offseason. I've seen a lot of growth in Crosby's game the last few weeks, kind of paralleling my memories of Scooch at the same time period.

The biggest difference in their frosh seasons is that by the elite 8 run, Scooch was capable of doing things that Kari couldn't (even more heightened by Kari's wrecked knees) thus he saw more and more time on the court, and it was pretty clear knees or no knees, the team belonged to Scooch following season. Crosby doesn't offer a ton of what Scooch doesn't already provide at this point in time, so baring injury, there's not going to be near as much opportunity for him to develop and grow with experience in season.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-04-2016), Smitty10 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 PM

I remember a bunch of comments during Scoochie's frosh year that he drove into no man's land and got stuck, and he could not make his layups. Sounds like Crosby through about 10 games. BTW Scooch is amazingly great at making tough layups. I think Crosby is turning the corner the last two games.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 PM

It seems the biggest "ugly" right now is team chemistry, everyone seems frustrated to me. Things just aren't clicking like they could be.
Winner winner...Hate to say it...but when you are guaranteed large chunks of production and minutes (ala a roster of 8)...guys now want their piece of the pie and aren't getting it. They need to get that team mantra back on track.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-04-2016)