User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-25-2018, 09:53 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
"From the Swamp": Five-Oh

Seems like only yesterday:

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32303
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
BOF02 (08-26-2018), cj (08-26-2018), Flyer 79 (08-26-2018), FlyerBob (08-25-2018), jaburr91 (08-25-2018)
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Jay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to behold
I spent my first year (1965-66) at UH. What I remember most was how cold it was in that hanger in the winter. The ball barely rose from that cement floor. It felt like your fingers could shatter catching a pass.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:40 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
My first year was 64-65 Stuart Hall and we didn’t have a Court and unless there was snow I skateboarded down the hill. That was the 18” x 6” board not these luxury yachts they have today.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:25 AM
Major

BOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really nice
1st year-60/61

Swampy, thanks for the great article!
I was at UH the 1st year it opened- 60/61. The bus ride back to the West Side was highlighted by the NCR guys running to their cars at 3:00.
Out door basket ball courts then.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:13 PM
1st Lieutenant

OregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really nice
Thanks, and more ....

Ahh, University Hall, aka “The Zoo.” I’m also remembering Animal House, but perhaps I’m confusing my time in Eugene, OR (UO) where that was filmed.

I’m told Don Navallo (Guido Sarducci) is a UH alumnus.

I arrived as a naďve kid from south Jersey in 1969. There were kids from other places that talked funny (Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Kentucky). They called rolls buns, and buns rolls, and what I called “soda” they called “pop.” The pizza was horrible, and you couldn’t get a hoagie or a cheesesteak. A hot dog was a “coney island.”

“Henny Penny” delivered Pizza Sunday night when the food service was closed. Guys would order a bunch of pizzas under fictitious names and room numbers. When the truck parked to deliver the first order to a floor, guys would raid the truck. I think they stopped delivering
In December, UD announced a hall decorating contest for Christmas. Guys made midnight runs raiding streets in the better parts of Dayton. Oh, they returned the stuff in a pile later.

The dining hall smelled like cheap grease. The food was horrible; there was a rumor they put saltpeter in it. Milano’s opened sometime that year. My Jersey buds and I were excited to see “submarine sandwiches” on the menu, then we were POed when we got a different version of what we thought was a “hoagie.” The pizza was good, and we actually came to like the Chicago style “hot subs.”

The blue goose runs were often adventures. Weekend late night runs back from campus: guys passed out in the luggage racks puking on guys below, and guys in seats puking on the floor or out the windows. Punishment duty was cleaning the buses the next day. Orvis Campbell. One 7:30 am run to campus a student driver named “Chris” honked his horn at someone at an intersection near the arena. A guy who might have worked at NCR got out of his car with a handgun and went up to the driver’s window and pointed it at Chris. I was right behind him; fortunately he walked away.

I’m surprised you (Swampy & friends) could get back alive after missing the bus. I can’t remember how many times the bus got rocked in the neighborhood near Dunbar HS.

Pickup basketball in the hangar. Make-it-take-it was a new thing.

My freshman class was the first without any ROTC requirement. UD sent a letter over the summer extolling the virtues of ROTC, asking parents to have serious discussions with their sons encouraging them to enroll in ROTC. I did not.

Eventually my roommate and three guys that lived right across the hall rented Dr. Leo Hoersting’s house on Brown and Kiefaber sophomore through senior year. That was a three story house (floor 3 was a 2 bedroom apartment; we had floor 2) with a sign out front that read “Dr. Leo Hoersting/Rectal Diseases.” Just about every weekend a rock went through that sign. Finally “Doc” put a metal screen on it.

We threw one party every term. One of my housemate’s family owned a beer and wine distributorship in Akron. One phone call from Dad got us a keg of Carling regular (not 3.2), no questions asked.
Mad Props to OregonMike For This Totally Excellent Post:
BOF02 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

[QUOTE=OregonMike;557190]Ahh, University Hall, aka “The Zoo.” I’m also remembering Animal House, but perhaps I’m confusing my time in Eugene, OR (UO) where that was filmed.

I’m told Don Navallo (Guido Sarducci) is a UH alumnus.

I arrived as a naďve kid from south Jersey in 1969. There were kids from other places that talked funny (Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Kentucky). They called rolls buns, and buns rolls, and what I called “soda” they called “pop.”

I’m surprised you (Swampy & friends) could get back alive after missing the bus. I can’t remember how many times the bus got rocked in the neighborhood near Dunbar.

Don’t no if Guido was a UH alum but he did graduate from Cleveland St. Joes.

I don’t know why you guys were having such a problem with the locals, I never did. In 1966 while sitting in the fraternity house and watching the 11 o’clock new we heard that a train had hit a semi caring pigs and they were trying to capture them. Sounds like fun so eight of us jumped in my Car and off we went. I ended up parking on the hill over looking the train and semi at west third St. Every time the wrecker tried to lift the truck a few pigs escaped.

Then the fun began...... they ran the gauntlet of the locals, close to 200 people young and old. I never saw so many knives, axes, ball bats, even a few swords, needless to say we just watched the fun along with police.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Don Navallo graduated from Lorain HS.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Major

BOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really nice
Lorain HS 1961A. is correct.

Lived in Founders in his 1st semester- Jan to April 1961.