» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
What Can You Say?  What Can You Do?
What Can You Say? What Can You Do?
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-10-2016
What Can You Say? What Can You Do?

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- We have all been here before -- too many times it seems, right? The Red and Blue finally play well enuf to get ranked and then...poof! UD Pride MB poster "ruechalgrin" took the time to verify that the road disaster at LaSalle was, indeed, #1 in RPI terms of UD losses over the last 15 campaigns:

#1 = Dayton at LaSalle 2016, losing to #266 (Archie)
#2 = Duquense at Dayton 2005, losing to #256 (BG)
#3 = Dayton at Richmond 2006, losing to #245 (BG)
#4 = Dayton at Duquense 2007, losing to #213 (BG)
#5 = RI at Dayton 2012, losing to #209 (Archie)
#6 = Dayton at Duquesne 2015, losing to #207 (Archie)
#7 = Dayton at Miami (OH) 2012, losing to #201 (Archie)
#8 = Dayton at RI 2013, losing to #193 (Archie)
#9 = Dayton at Umass 2011, losing to #192 (BG)
#10 = Dayton at SMU 2007, losing to #180 (BG)
#11 = Dayton at GW 2008, losing to #169 (BG)
#12 = Dayton at GW 2011, losing to #165 (BG)
#13 = Dayton at Richmond 2005, losing to #164 (BG)
#14 = USC at Dayton 2014, losing to #163 (Archie)
#15 = Dayton at St. Joe's 2010, losing to #160 (BG)
#16 = Dayton at Charlotte 2007, losing to #156 (BG)
#17 = RI at Dayton 2006, losing to #151 (BG)

One of the threads on the UD Pride MB is entitled "The LaSalle loss is all on Archie." If one takes a gander at the above list, it seems that Archie ain't alone in coaching disappointments, as BG had more than his share of stinkers, too. These bad losses span over 11 seasons, so it's not just coaches and it certainly isn't the players, as today's squad was in grammar school when UD lost to the Dukes in 2005.

So what is it? Why does UD immediately drop a deuce when they finally get ranked? Nobody knows. We all wish that someone did.

Unfortunately, I have way too much experience writing about moving forward as a fan base after yet another puzzling defeat. Some examples:

-- From last season's disappointing road loss to GW:

Yeah, it's still a loss, but to send the GW tilt into extra innings, come back from six down in OT and actually go ahead (without arguably their best player) is something the Flyers can take away from this experience and gain from it. Sibert and Baby D didn't have it going on from the land of plenty, so KD stepped up and hit a trio of large threes; Dyshawn made an incredible no-look pass to Bobby for a hoop, grabbed a rebound on the other end and followed it up with a dunk on the next Flyer possession. They played with heart and poise. Go forth and do likewise next time.

-- From 2013, after the Illinois State debacle:

It is still early in the 2013-14 college hoops campaign, but the Dayton Flyers have managed to follow up an inspiring 3-1 road trip to BG Land and Maui with an all-too-normal loss in Normal to Illinois State. About the only good thing you can say about the L vs. Doug Collins U is that it was on the road, as the Redbirds RPI of 137 (and that is after beating the Flyers) isn’t gonna light a fire under the NCAA Selection Committee when they pow wow in March to determine the Flyers fate.

We have seen this movie before. Longtime Flyer Faithful will harken back to the el foldo that the Flyers did back in 2003, when they returned from Maui with the Championship trophy and promptly lost to Marshall. Or they will recall the 30 point nightmare loss to Buffalo that BG’s Boys slept thru in 2009, the last time the Red and Blue were ranked.

But here’s the thing: Those losses don’t mean squat to the current Flyers squad.

Archie and his staff were not here then; all of the current players were in grade school or middle school when those disappointments happened.

The problem is that we were here and we remember!

As the comic strip character Pogo so eloquently put it:

“We have met the enemy and he is us.”

-- From earlier in 2013 after a road loss to SLU:

These last two Flyer games have been a little on the painful side to digest, no? I may have inadvertently discovered a cure for the headaches, the churning upset stomach and the heartbreak of psoriasis that comes from following yet another Flyer failure on Saturday for the SLU game. It takes only four easy steps:

1) Drive five and a half hours in semi-blizzard conditions

2) Arrive at destination

3) Check UD/SLU halftime score on iPhone

4) Turn off iPhone and get on with life

I was able to enjoy my family time (which is why I drove here in the first place), free of the frustrations that come from the ongoing play-by-play pathos.

Have I given up on the Flyers?

Hell no.

Do I recommend this ‘cure’ for everyone?

That’s up to you, but it’s worth a shot.

-- From 2012:

Been a little quiet in these parts lately. The recent lack of Flyer victories -- especially of the road variety -- will do that to a Message Board and a fan base. Oh sure, there are still the doomsayers who post after each loss, but I think most of us realize that Archie and the guys are doing as much as they can with the hand that’s been dealt them. And you can be sure that they are much more upset about the losing streak than any of us are. A road win in Da Bronx on Saturday after a week to rest up and regroup would certainly help to start the healing.

Meanwhile, the beat goes on.

-- From 2011, BG's last season at UD:

Nobody in Flyerland is deriving much pleasure from watching what started out as a promising 2010-2011 basketball campaign melt into the muck of the merely okay. And despite the feverish protestations of message board posters everywhere 17-8 is not the end of the world or just cause to fire BG, it’s simply disappointingly ordinary, that’s all.

It’s probably of no consolation to any of us, but UD is in some fairly good company when it comes to mumbling and grumbling about their favorite hoops team, searching for an answer to the elusive question:

“Whahappened?”

-- After the inevitable road loss to X in 2011:

I’m sure that you will all join me in thanking the Atlantic 10 scheduling gods for giving the Flyer Faithful an entire week to stew in our own juices after yet another heartbreaker at the University of Norwood.

As the Beatles so aptly put it:

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da life goes on, brah
Lala how the life goes on

-- Following a November blowout at the hands of UC in 2010:

When it comes to the UD/UC game, you can choose to jump off the bandwagon after one loss or dismiss it as merely an aberration, but no one can deny that ‘it’ happened. Moving forward, the key for BG and the Boys is to make sure that whatever ‘it’ was, that ‘it’ doesn’t happen again -- ever…or at least in my lifetime.

-- From the 2009-10 season:

Is it just me or have things here at UD Pride seemed just a tad bit too somber lately? I mean seriously: lotsa doom, gloom, rumor-mongering threads and one too many Xavier trolls sharing their shallowest thoughts.

The “Band of Brothers” Flyers that whupped X and UNCC are back after crushing UMass. As they prepare to do battle with the Arachnids on the road in Richmond, maybe things will lighten up around here. To help speed the process, let’s all take a chill pill, shall we?

Continuing with the military theme, this situation calls for a little "Stripes" action dontcha think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-Cs-fi5tA

There, that feels better now, doesn’t it?

"Lighten up, Francis." Words to live by.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools