Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations UD Flyers

I understand the season is not over yet. This team has exceeded my expectations which were low coming into the season.

The team finish 14-17 last year, lost one of its leading scorers as well as a number of players. Most of those players who left were non contributors, but the team would have only one senior, still short on players and four new questions marks.
- Cohill - unproven freshman
- Toppin - redshirt freshman and unproven
- Mikesell never was mobile on defense due to injuries and surgery. Would he recover?
- Matos - Never know how JUCO will perform

Right away the team loses Matos and had to play with limited depth all year.

I did see some optimism during practice last year. I was impressed with Toppin and thought he could contribute. I was not as impressed with Mikesell, but I am not sure he was recovered from surgery. I was wrong about Ryan.

During the summer, one of coaches told me that Obi improved dramatically over the summer. Both Obi and Ryan have been great additions and difference makers for this year's squad.

Never did I expect 21 wins, 3rd place in A10 and outstanding road record in the A10. I understand the A10 is down but UDs A10 schedule was top loaded with VCU, St. Louis and Duquesne twice and with Davidson and Bonaventure on the road.

Virginia has lost only two games all year. UD hung tough against them. I'm not into moral victories but that performance helped UD believe they could hang with anyone.

OOC had expected losses but I hoped they could have won against Mississippi State and Tulsa. The did not but my expectations were still low. After UD was picked to finish 6-9 in the league.

A10 performance was much better than expected including taking a 16-2 VCU team to that last minute twice. They won at tough places to play; Bonaventure, Rhode Island, Davidson and Duquesne. Check out Archie's and BG's records at those locations. Yes, they had some tough A10 losses, but every team has tough league losses.

This team has more games to play. They have shown grit and determination. The team has lots of weaknesses, but they have stayed with it during the long season. They should be very proud of their effort.

Would I like to see UD in the NCAA? Who would not? The odds are against them but... they are capable as anyone or better of winning the A10 tournament. If they do not, I will still be proud of what they achieved. It is important to be realistic about the talent and skill you have on the floor and proud of their efforts.

There is great optimism for next year, but there is still basketball to be played this year.

If you are one of those who say the program is not performing if they miss the NCAA, then I suggest you whine about all those Super Bowl losses that Bill Belicheck has. And keep reminding us how Belicheck was a failure with Cleveland and Baltimore.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 03-11-2019 at 01:42 PM..
15 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-11-2019), Alberto Strasse (03-11-2019), BeckysTXA (03-10-2019), Canonball (03-11-2019), Clear Prop (03-11-2019), Glen Clark (03-10-2019), JimBo (03-10-2019), JoeFlyer (03-11-2019), MD Flyer Pride (03-10-2019), MrFlyerFanatic (03-11-2019), NYCFLYER (03-10-2019), rasta man (03-11-2019), SLUFLYER (03-10-2019), steverino015 (03-11-2019), upperarlingtonflyer (03-10-2019)
Advertisement